Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:01:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 222
Total: 222

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Magnetic relationship...and oral sex!  (Read 6761 times)

Offline Danigirl

Magnetic relationship...and oral sex!
« on: November 07, 2013, 09:53:34 am »
Hello everyone, :)
As some of you may know my husband was diagnosed positive in the beginning of the year.  I have till this day have tested negative. He is now undetectable! :D

We have a pretty normal sex life and since he was diagnosed back in January, we have always practiced safe sex.  Anyway, I always thought that once he reached undetectable status I could then engage in unprotected oral sex at least. Well, his ID doctor said that it was not safe...matter a fact he said it was only a little safer than unprotected vaginal sex but still unadvisable! I'm a little baffled by that because from what I have read it's relatively safe.

Has anyone here been in a long term magnetic relationship where you have tested this theory and you or your partner remained negative?

Offline b2400

• Standard
Re: Magnetic relationship...and oral sex!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 05:58:59 am »
There is a helpful  link below that explains the way mucous membranes work, when there can be a risk, and why there is usually NOT a risk 99% of the time.

http://www.catie.ca/en/pif/fall-2011/exposure-infection-biology-hiv-transmission

This is a discussion of oral sex with some doctors and a facilitator:

http://hivinsite.ucsf.edu/InSite?page=pr-rr-05

Also, undetectable in blood is not = undetectable in semen.  Some say that at 6 months, there is a large drop off in the semen...though this is still being argued about (see below quote)

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/hiv_semen_transmission_1667_22190.shtml

"Dr. Marcelin said their findings were contrary to a statement made by the Swiss Federal Commission last year, that undetectable plasma HIV RNA for 6 months and no active sexually transmitted infections carried no risk for sexual transmission of the virus during unprotected sex. She said: "There is always the risk at the individual level.""

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/588060

I have seen "3 major studies of oral sex in serodiscordant couples" referred to a dozen times on this forum without a link to one of them though (I think one of them is discussed in my UCSF link above actually).  Apparently, nobody ever got HIV from oral sex in these studies of hundreds of people.  However, I tried to find these studies on google scholar and I cannot.  I asked for a link but I am guessing nobody read that far into my post.

I am not positive (though pending a test that should be negative still) - but I went through a weird situation with oral sex and someone who lied about his status...so all of the above is what I learned.  I think this sub-forum allows negative people to post....so anyway, I know I can't speak from personal sexual experience - but I found those links very helpful versus the "oral is no risk" mantra that I've read too often.  It's not 0 risk...but it's very low.  The caveats are explained in all of the above (kind of the typical gum health, oral / tonsil inflammation, corticosteroid use, Viral Load, etc...somewhere I read "swallow or spit - don't let it sit" - and that makes sense too in light of the facts about pre-cum or semen).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 06:15:42 am by b2400 »

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 07:17:44 am »
Hello everyone, :)
As some of you may know my husband was diagnosed positive in the beginning of the year.  I have till this day have tested negative. He is now undetectable! :D

We have a pretty normal sex life and since he was diagnosed back in January, we have always practiced safe sex.  Anyway, I always thought that once he reached undetectable status I could then engage in unprotected oral sex at least. Well, his ID doctor said that it was not safe...matter a fact he said it was only a little safer than unprotected vaginal sex but still unadvisable! I'm a little baffled by that because from what I have read it's relatively safe.

Has anyone here been in a long term magnetic relationship where you have tested this theory and you or your partner remained negative?

His ID doc sounds anti-sex. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 05:43:59 pm »
You might have to find the links yourself since they tend to expire and move, I will certainly make an effort to update them.

There are actually 4 studies, with Page-Shafer doing two of them. The largest being the HOT study.

There is also a Vittinghoff study that I thoroughly distrust because, when they KNEY they had zero confirmed cases of HIV transmission through cunnilingus, they assigned a percentage to it anyhow. This is bad form in data collecting, and it skews every single number (especially the lower ones to whom a percentage point is considered important.

1. Page-Shafer, et al (1997); Case-control study of risk of
HIV seroconversion in MSM who report only ROS
Odds Ratio = 1.01 (1.00-1.02) per partner

• 2. Vittinghoff et al (1999); Per contact risk of HIV
associated with unprotected fellatio with HIV+/unknown
serostatus partner
0.04% (95% CI=0.01%-0.17%)

• 3. Del Romero et al (2002); incidence of HIV among
serodiscordant heterosexual couples practicing oral sex
0 (0-2.2) per 100 PYO
0 (0-0.25) per 1000 unprotected orogenital exposures
0 (0-0.5) per 1000 unprotected fellatio exposures

Can I state categorically that there are NO HIV transmissions linked to performing fellatio? No, but the "perfect storm" of significantly damaged oral tissue  ("meth mouth" for example) and a soaring viral load such as found in a newly infected but not diagnosed person would seem to be the avenue here.

While I understand the cautionary tone of Tim Horn's article that was cited, it is also important to note that the caution was about what MIGHT be possible, and that further testing was warranted. There was no concrete data supporting the hypothesis that oral sex was actually a transmission risk, only that it could not be completely ruled out until relevant studies were completed. The article is slightly misleading in that, and the title even moreso.

Which is great for page views, but it does seem to be leaning towards a bias.

Performing fellatio on a male who has a high viral load is considered nearly safer sex, thanks in large part to the inhospitable nature of the human mouth and the aggressively anti-HIV properties in saliva. Not to mention that vulnerable cells are not found in any abundance in the mouth. When you add medication to that mix, the near negligible risk drops completely off the radar.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Danigirl

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 09:34:24 pm »
Thanks guys for all the helpful information!  It will certainly help me weigh everything out :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.