Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:34:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 295
Total: 295

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Transgender Day of Remembrance- November 20th  (Read 2064 times)

Offline Iggy

Transgender Day of Remembrance- November 20th
« on: November 13, 2008, 10:12:47 pm »
I just received a mailing regarding this year's local event, and thought it might be good to post a reminder to all here that November 20th is an International Day of Remembrance for those killed due to anti-transgender prejudice.

A list of events throughout the world is available on the website: http://www.transgenderdor.org/

As we fight for our rights, let us also remember those who fight for and have lost their lives.

From the website:

The Transgender Day of Remembrance was set aside to memorialize those who were killed due to anti-transgender hatred or prejudice. The event is held in November to honor Rita Hester, whose murder on November 28th, 1998 kicked off the “Remembering Our Dead” web project and a San Francisco candlelight vigil in 1999. Rita Hester’s murder — like most anti-transgender murder cases — has yet to be solved.

Although not every person represented during the Day of Remembrance self-identified as transgender — that is, as a transsexual, crossdresser, or otherwise gender-variant — each was a victim of violence based on bias against transgender people.

We live in times more sensitive than ever to hatred based violence, especially since the events of September 11th. Yet even now, the deaths of those based on anti-transgender hatred or prejudice are largely ignored. Over the last decade, more than one person per month has died due to transgender-based hate or prejudice, regardless of any other factors in their lives. This trend shows no sign of abating.

The Transgender Day of Remembrance serves several purposes. It raises public awareness of hate crimes against transgender people, an action that current media doesn’t perform. Day of Remembrance publicly mourns and honors the lives of our brothers and sisters who might otherwise be forgotten. Through the vigil, we express love and respect for our people in the face of national indifference and hatred. Day of Remembrance reminds non-transgender people that we are their sons, daughters, parents, friends and lovers. Day of Remembrance gives our allies a chance to step forward with us and stand in vigil, memorializing those of us who’ve died by anti-transgender violence.

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
Re: Transgender Day of Remembrance- November 20th
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 10:08:38 am »
I can remember the 70's, and I can say without any hesitation that the foundation of the Gay rebellion of that time was and always has been, the trans community. There were thousands of men and women who had balls the size of Volkwagens, and were never afraid of putting it out there, regardless of the consequences. I can remember a Pride Parade in the mid 1970's, in downtown San Jose Californication, where the lead floats and marchers were all the stars of the movement, and guess what, they were all from the trans community.

Those of us who either witnessed this, or are astute enough to have actually picked up a book and read about our history, are well aware of the selfless sacrifices made by these incredibly strong and driven people. Consequently this family, my 66 yr old sweetie, and this 61 yr old man are always aware of our debt to this subset of our culture. We both have incredible respect for most every trans person, regarless of the final definition that places them in that part of our society. Trans people have nothing to be angry or ashamed about, your social history is incredible and literally the foundation of all our civil rights that were won before the Busheys took over this country. Now we have a short four years to re-establish those rights before the radical hatemongers vote this new man out of office.

Just my grateful thoughts.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 07:29:03 am »
 :)

Thanks for making a post, Iggy.

As vice president of the GSA on my campus I'll be coordinating a memorial service/candelight thingie this Thursday here. It's the first year that I've actually been in a position to participate in some sort of service for this day and it means a lot to me. I don't expect a big turn out but my close friends will be coming and it will be held in a public place and that's important.

On a concerning note the university made us sign our event up using the same form that they use for protests (and not a normal event that we've used for almost ALL of our other activities in which we use university space) that basically states that we will be non-violent and non-disruptive. What the hell do they think we're doing, anyway? :(

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 08:12:42 am »
Mouse, I am so proud of you.  Shit, this is wonderful news that you are becoming active in this organization already.  It is so true, you just cannot keep a good man down!!!!
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Iggy

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 07:14:25 am »
Mouse,

I echo Moffie's admiration of your your taking a leadership role with your campus' GSA, and it's event this year.

The Charlotte event had about 30+ people and a key note address by Elke Kennedy of Sean's Last Wish whose organization has been working closely with Charlotte's Gender Alliance.

There were a number of speeches and mention about the anger and hurt of the exclusion of  transgender from the EDNA bill, but what was most poignant was the candle light vigil afterwards where we went outside to stand in a circle with a readng of names.  A freight train that runs right past the GLBT center blew it's whistle as we began, yet they waited patiently for the whistle to stop so that every name could be heard. 

The wind began to pick up and some of the candles kept getting blown out and people had to help relight each other's candle; while many of us were trying to shield the flames from the winds, I looked around and saw everyone trying to balance protecting these individual flames from going out while also allowing them to shine bright and seen in the darkness.  That was probably the moment that I really got the meaning.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.