Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:52:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 201
Total: 201

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Firm Handshakes  (Read 7953 times)

Offline JeffInNYC

Firm Handshakes
« on: May 24, 2007, 11:52:47 pm »
Growing up my dad always taught me to give a firm handshake.  Im always reminded of this when i shake someones hand whether the setting is business or personal.  I like getting and giving a firm handshake.  But today I met a business associate for the first time at a lunch meeting and damn if that handshake got any firmer I would have cried uncle...literally.

This man was goodlooking...a little pretty but a lot rugged.  Even though a bone crushing handshake is typically a turnoff to me and gets me pissed, this situation was different.  I found it hot to feel that stength in his hand.  Very nice man, very confident and very knowledgeable.  Im very much looking forward to working with him.

Do these men not know their own strength?  Have you ever been on the receiving end of a brutal handshake? lol

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: Firm Handshakes
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 12:12:24 am »
Can't say I've been on the receiving end of a "brutal handshake" lately, but I wonder if that means.... oh never mind. ;)
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Longislander

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 01:21:10 am »
lol, I've definitely had a few bone-crushing handshakes, but more often than not,I get a guy who closes his hands too sonn, and he gently squeezes my fingers! lol
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 03:04:32 am »
lol, i know what you mean about the handshakes....

I was taught that way too, and even today it's almost a way of sizing another man up when you're first meeting (a bit more polite than sniffing someone's ass like a dog  ;))

of course, i always check for those other "clues" too when i'm sizing them up

John

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 06:55:08 am »
lol, i know what you mean about the handshakes....

I was taught that way too, and even today it's almost a way of sizing another man up when you're first meeting (a bit more polite than sniffing someone's ass like a dog  ;))

John

the thing is, it wasnt like he was a jerk trying to crush my hand...he is actually a very nice guy.  All the while during the meeting it made me think "wow, he can make love to me like Im a prince and then fuck me like Im a whore". These are some very important parameters when looking for a man. ;D

Offline carousel

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 08:01:04 am »
I prefer a gentle handshake.  All fingers and demure.

Can't stand when people grip your hand, like they're trying to take your pulse.  Leave off.

Offline dixieman

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 10:05:34 am »
Firm handshake and crushing are too different things... When someone gives me a crushing handshake I take it as their trying too hard... to impress and that their not really for sure about themselves...their not sensitive to others etc...  a good firm handshake means their aware of others and they are also aware of their abilities... its called the school of etiquette!

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 10:41:23 am »
The only thing I need a firm handshake around is my.....

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 11:13:51 am »
The only thing I need a firm handshake around is my.....

Neck?
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 12:33:42 pm »

It always comes as a mild surprise when you, milliseconds before the handshake closes, you bend your middle finger around and tickle the inside of the other guy's hand. Don't forget to wink at him at the same time.
"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 04:57:12 pm »
It always comes as a mild surprise when you, milliseconds before the handshake closes, you bend your middle finger around and tickle the inside of the other guy's hand. Don't forget to wink at him at the same time.

Well yeah, that's pretty much a dead giveaway  ;)

I prefer the grip that goes on just a little too long, or the eyes meeting and staying locked.

Kinda like invading the personal space, without "invading" the personal space.

The dick hanging down the pants leg works for me too (bonus points for pointing up to Jesus..)    ;D

Growl,
John

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 08:01:47 pm »

The dick hanging down the pants leg works for me too (bonus points for pointing up to Jesus..)    ;D

Growl,
John

I got in trouble for that at work, no more boxers for me  :'(

As for the handshake I give a nice firm one and want a firm one in return, however I always worry when a woman wants to shake my hand, do I have to be as firm?  Am I going to hurt her?  Unless, of course, it is a lesbian then I try to be extra firm to prove she is not more manly than me  :)
The difference between an overnight and a layover is luck!

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 08:44:11 pm »
Unless, of course, it is a lesbian then I try to be extra firm to prove she is not more manly than me

An impossible task, no doubt. :)

MtD

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 10:20:12 pm »
Unless, of course, it is a lesbian then I try to be extra firm to prove she is not more manly than me

An impossible task, no doubt. :)

MtD

Most lesbians are more manly than me .... I am not a nelly per say but I did get my brows done and a manicure today .....

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 10:37:25 pm »
Most lesbians are more manly than me .... I am not a nelly per say but I did get my brows done and a manicure today .....

No pedicure or facial?
I wonder if any gay men are attracted to very manly lesbians.

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2007, 10:40:44 pm »
No pedicure or facial?

Not today, just needed a mani and brow wax  ;D

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2007, 06:50:35 am »
Not today, just needed a mani and brow wax  ;D

Right now I could go for a facial.   ;)

Offline Jnm594

• Fight! Fight! Fight the Good Fight!
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2007, 12:38:55 pm »
"wow, he can make love to me like Im a prince and then fuck me like Im a whore".

I'm in love already, If you don't want him send him to Colorado!!!! :o :o :o
When it gets hard I always listen to my favorite song of all time..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJEYu3KgWCE

Offline Jody

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2007, 03:15:25 pm »
My father always used to say a man should have a firm handshake, he hated shaking hands with a dead fish as he referred to it..But when a guy tries to crush my hand, when my knuckles all meet at the middle finger I cringe with pain and fear...In fact when a friend I have shakes with that extra firm handshake I dread it because he is always looking to shake every time we meet...So recently we were out to dinner and I made a little friendly comment about what a firm handshake he has and how I need a cast whenever we shake I think he got the point because last time we met he eased up- thank goodness!!!

Jody  ;)
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline chemistry001

• http://www.mygaydar.com/chemistry001
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2007, 03:43:35 pm »
I love it when a guy is strong enough to pick me up and throw me around the bedroom and wrestle with me in the park. So a firm hand shake gets my groin tingling with the excitement that could follow. So if you meet me you know what you got to do, grip hard and watch the pupils dilate.

Paul (with bruised hands)
Diagnosed 01/08/06
CD4-9, VL->500,000, CD4% 1
Started on Sustiva/combivir 22/08/06 changed to kivexa 18/09/06
02/10/06
CD4-50, VL-1496, CD4% 5
04/12/06
CD4-112, VL-125, CD4% 7.5
22/02/07
CD4-121, VL-<50, CD4% 9
29/05/07
CD4-125, VL-71,(re-done 149), CD4% 11
25/09/07
CD4 -231, VL-74, CD4% 15
Cant remember the next few dates
17/01/08  Kaletra and Truvada
CD4 - 281, VL-115
06/03/08
CD4 - 287, VL-178

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.