Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:25:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 795
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 605
Total: 606

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: 10 yrs since negative test but still worried..  (Read 3044 times)

Offline Dan2011

• Standard
10 yrs since negative test but still worried..
« on: October 01, 2019, 11:27:19 am »
My situation

Had protected sex with sex worker and unprotected oral in 2009
Tested negative with oraquick
Unsatisfied with accuracy after some research so I took a blood drawn Elisa at a clinic
In 2011 negative
And then finally a third one from a real lab at my primary care center. March 2011

I’m concerned about some things. I read that in rare cases some people never develop enough antibodies And I could be one? I mean how would you know? If these test are only 99.9 accurate what about the .1% who slip through? Could I be that .1%?

I’m concerned that the test were a false negative and subsequently I infected my wife who then infected my daughter who is 10 now. How can I ever know my test were conclusive and accurate?

Thanks
Very worried

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: 10 yrs since negative test but still worried..
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 11:54:54 am »
Hiya,

Well, what you posted about the 2009 encounter was not an HIV concern to start with and you have had 3 negative results since then although testing was not needed over this encounter.

Even if you had had an exposure it's would be more like 0.01% testing outside the window period. You have tested negative 3 times, so as to close to 100% as possible i.e conclusive

I read that in rare cases some people never develop enough antibodies And I could be one?

Context would be about 21 cases of people never developing or stopping the production of antibodies over 40 years and 80 million infections most of them at end-stage i.e identified post mortem or on death's door, I presume you are not dying so this really would not apply to you. I would have more odds of being hit in the head by a meteorite directly after winning the lotto. 

Do you have serious underlying medical conditions such as cancer and undergoing chemo, and/or long term IV drug usage, or critically ill i.e dying? If no then I would not be counting on being an exception.

The only risk I see from what you posted so far would be from your partner if you have been or are engaging in unprotected intercourse with your partner this would meet all the biological conditions needed for acquiring HIV. Its the main transmission route globally.

Now I don't judge couples that decide to engage in unprotected intercourse, it's often based on trust within a relationship, however, just note this trust or faith does not prevent HIV and any unprotected intercourse is simply accepting a possible risk to you of acquiring HIV.

It would be wrong of me not to point out this obvious HIV risk to you, so test regularly, at least yearly like every sexually active person should.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid HIV infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. Consider starting PrEP as an additional layer of HIV protection going forward

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as ‘safe’ in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also, note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

More information on HIV Basics, PEP, TaSP and Transmission can be found through the links in my signature to our POZ pages

Kind regards

Jim

« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 01:06:54 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Dan2011

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 01:10:08 pm »
Thank you for your speedy reply as it means so much for people anxious like me!

Just one last question if you don’t mind.

What would be the reasons for someone post 1 year possible exposure to have a false negative? Not on chemo or immune suppression meds..

I mean even if I had aids symptoms would they believe my negative result or would there then be a different test to take?

Just trying to rule out the .01%!!

Thanks

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 01:17:55 pm »
Post 1 year ... Continue exposures i.e they acquired HIV from another event, testing too soon in the first place, incorrectly home test users (As it totally messing it up), lab mixups or people with serious underlying medical conditions i.e undergoing chemo, and/or long term IV drug uses, and people who where critically ill end-stage AIDS i.e dying or dead etc although a case like that has not been seen in recent years and finally 1st/2nd gen tests (no longer used) and even taking all of this into account its still a freakishly rare as pointed out earlier. 

You don't belong to those categories except for the ongoing potential exposures from your partner, of course. So try to relax and start testing out of routine at least yearly for STI's & HIV. Three times in 10 years is not routinely enough.

Best, Jim

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Dan2011

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 01:50:11 pm »
When we’re the gen 1/2 test last used in USA ?
Thanks

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 02:10:53 pm »
The 80's & early 90's .. self-testing kits slightly longer with gen 2. In short, the issue was the range example HIV-2 was not always included and higher levels of antibodies required to be detected. FDA put higher standards in place for tests on the market today and requirements.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 02:21:43 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 02:22:51 pm »
Just try to relax, stop looking for issues that don't apply to you and start testing out of routine at least yearly for STI's & HIV. Three times in 10 years is not routinely enough.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Dan2011

• Standard
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 08:31:55 am »
OK, please keep in mind that my test was Antibody only. Please take a look at this info I found dated 2014, 3 years after my test. This is why im so worried and fear testing with a 4th Gen combo test. What do you think of this info?

Non-Clade B HIV virus

Hypogammaglobulinaemia, Agammaglobulinaemia (never producing enough antibodies)

HIV and Hepatitis C Co-Infection
Co-infection with Hepatitis C can prolong the HIV testing window period up to 12 months.

Thank you very much for your time and information

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 08:34:43 am »
? Is there a question.

I've already answered all of this and that if you had had an exposure it's would be more like 0.01% testing outside the window period. You have tested negative 3 times, so as to close to 100% as possible i.e conclusive. To be honest you have far more realistic odds of p24 not being picked up.

Unless you have had continued exposures this result is not going to change.

P.S Reading back, what you posted about the 2009 encounter was not an HIV concern to start with so no test required. Move on with your life and if you can't put this behind you speak to a therapist to help you cope because I'm not going to continue to pretend you have an issue from the 2009 encounter.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 08:39:45 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 08:51:40 am »
I reread the full thread, this is simple and there is no drama required.

You had no HIV risk from the 2009 encounter, you tested anyway although no test was needed and the result was negative at the time and again twice more 2 years later. Nothing you find or twist online is going to change this, so unless you have been engaging in other activities you simply don't have HIV.

Out of kindness if you post about this or related to this again I am going to give you a ban. This would be to encourage you to stop looking for or stressing about things that don't apply to your situation and instead consider talking to someone face to face to help you cope with your thoughts & fears as in a therapist.

Finally, start looking after yourself by using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. Consider starting PrEP as an additional layer of HIV protection going forward and test out of standard routine at least yearly for HIV & STI's

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Jim   
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 08:53:44 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.