Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:34:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772963
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 156
Total: 157

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: my interview in Australia's national newspaper  (Read 5554 times)

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
my interview in Australia's national newspaper
« on: May 03, 2008, 03:00:27 pm »
 Hi Everyone

Here's a link to an interview I did with The Australian newspaper, Australia's only national paper. It's about my journey as a long term non progressor and appeared last week.

It's meant to be a story of hope and also talks about the several international studies that I'm enrolled in. It talks a bit about the science behind the studies. It also is meant to help possibly recruit  new members into these studies.

The rainbow is a fluke as we were shooting the picture at the beach near my home after a rain storm. The rainbow is sort of a metaphor for my most blessed circumstance.

Here's the link to the interview

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23624760-28737,00.html

Cheers to all  :D
Paul

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
Re: my interview in Australia's national newspaper
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 03:25:33 pm »
Good man!  I do, however, chafe at the application of the word "miracle" to us for lack of an understanding of the science or an appreciation of the randomness that leads to our encounter with the damned bug.

Namaste,
David
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline OzPaul

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 03:38:04 pm »
David

I agree about not liking the 'miracle' label. Perhaps scientific oddity would be more appropriate. I don't know if that term would have grabbed readers as much though  ;D

Paul

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 03:40:46 pm »
Do you think using your real name might have helped with ending the stigma of HIV/AIDS?

Offline OzPaul

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 03:51:22 pm »
It might have helped a small bit.

I live in a very small town and am very well known in that town I I did not feel comfortable outing myself in the interview. I also have lots of distant relatives in Australia and didn't want to out myself to them either at least not via the interview. Additionally I have frail and elderly parents who would not be at all happy about my coming out to the world, literally.

As you can see, it's a very personal decision to have to make. Some battles I can fight and some I choose not to, for reasons that many people here can relate to.

My partner thinks I should be more out about it. I'm just not quite ready. Even after 27 years.

Cheers
Paul

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 04:21:01 pm »
You really feel you are "viewed as outcasts" for being an elite controller?

Must be rough.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 08:17:50 am »
OzPaul, thanks for the link.

As a private person myself, I appreciate your efforts in travelling halfway around the world to participate in studies, and publicizing your story.  It could benefit us all someday.
It's a complex world

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 09:00:36 am »
Paul

Thanks for sharing the interview with us. Also, thanks for all you do, and being in this world !!

Take care---Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline OzPaul

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 09:22:58 am »
Thanks so much Ray and Blue moon  :D

thunter, as far as my statement in the interview as being 'an outcast' for being an 'elite controller', that has not been my experience here in the Forums but has been my experience in the  HIV world at large from time to time.  And no, it is 'not rough'.

Paul
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 09:24:47 am by OzPaul »

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 03:29:16 am »
Congrats on the article.  So, how do you feel physically?  I know even elite controllers find themselves very fatigued.  I know a member here, who was an elite controller, started meds, due to fatigue issues. 

By the way, I didn't see the pic you were referring to with the rainbow on the beach.  Did I miss something? 

About the "outcast" remark.  I can see where many would be envious, and may view elites as not knowing what it's really like to be poz.  Being honest, I've found myself jealous on an occasion or two, wishing I could control the virus with an UD vl or 500.  But, I think most of us actually wish elites all the best, as you may hold keys to better treatments.  And, just supportive on a human level. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 09:07:54 am »
Congrats on the article.  So, how do you feel physically?  I know even elite controllers find themselves very fatigued.  I know a member here, who was an elite controller, started meds, due to fatigue issues. 

Ted, you do realise this thread is nearly five years old? The guy who resurrected it must have accidentally posted in the wrong place and so it has been removed.

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 03:28:07 pm »
Ted, you do realise this thread is nearly five years old? The guy who resurrected it must have accidentally posted in the wrong place and so it has been removed.

Oops.  I blame the time change here.  Yeah, that's it.  I guess that's why I couldn't find that pic he was referring to with the rainbow on the beach. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 09:42:38 am »
Oops.  I blame the time change here.  Yeah, that's it.  I guess that's why I couldn't find that pic he was referring to with the rainbow on the beach. 

Heh. We don't do the time change until the 31st of March, so I was confused too when I noticed my posts yesterday morning were being time stamped an hour into the future. :o
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.