Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:18:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 461
Total: 462

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hotels in London  (Read 11423 times)

Offline Cliff

Hotels in London
« on: October 12, 2009, 06:02:39 am »
I did a quick search of hotels (using an employee discount website).  I don't know much about negotiating discounts with hotels, so asked a friend who was a regional manager for a hotel chain in Europe.  He says, you can usually get the same rates seen on our employee discount but the sticking points are usually comps (hotel rooms) and travel agent commissions earned on the booking.  Hotels in central London are more difficult to negotiate as demand means they tend to stay full (not sure whether this is true in the current economic climate).  

The search resulted in cheap prices but, as you would expect, these are for hotels on the outskirts of London.

£43 to £60 per night ($68 to $95 and €46 to €64 per night)

Hotels in central London started at £82 per night ($129 and €88 per night).  I think that was in Bloomsbury/Kensington.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 06:04:31 am by Cliff »

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
Re: Hotels in London
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 06:38:19 am »
A couple of days ago the New York Times did a feature on 100 relatively inexpensive hotels in different cities all over the world as recommended by readers.  Here's what they came up with for London:

"London

50) Derby Hotel Kensington
155-157 Cromwell Road SW5
(44-207) 244-1199
www.lth-hotels.com
£84

I was visiting London for the first time, and was looking for a safe place, in a central location. I stayed at Derby Hotel in Kensington, a small hotel with homely atmosphere. If you are traveling on tight budget, check rates of this hotel out. — Shilpi

51) Base2Stay
25 Courtfield Gardens SW5
(44-207) 244-2255
www.base2stay.com
£86

I found everything I wanted, and none of the things I don’t but usually end up paying for anyway, at Base2Stay in Kensington. The rooms are air-conditioned, clean and modern. Great location for transport and restaurants as well as close to all the tourist spots. — Sydney Perlman

52) La Gaffe
107-111 Heath Street NW3
(44-207) 435-8965
www.lagaffe.co.uk
£85

La Gaffe is small but great value for money. Conveniently located near Hampstead Heath (my wife and I love taking long walks!) and not 5 minutes from the Tube. Lorenzo, the manager is the second generation managing the place and is a very pleasing, helpful person. — Kartik Varma

53) Jurys Inn Chelsea
Imperial Road, Imperial Wharf SW6
(44-207) 411-2200
www.jurysinns.com
£79

54) Meliá White House
Albany Street NW1
(44-207) 391-3000
www.melia-whitehouse.com
£86

55) Balmoral House Hotel
156 Sussex Gardens W2
(44-207) 723-7445
www.balmoralhousehotel.co.uk
£85

Over the last 13 years we have stayed at Balmoral House Hotel. Small but immaculate rooms. Around the corner from Paddington and a few blocks from Lancaster Gate Tube Station. — Bachjsb

56) Luna Simone
47-49 Belgrave Road SW1V
(44-207) 834-5897
www.lunasimonehotel.com
£85

The Luna Simone is clean, beautiful, and the hotel staff there is absolutely charming. The beds are great, and the bathrooms are very cool. I really do suggest this hotel — it’s awesome! — Lizzie

57) Ridgemount Hotel
65-67 Gower Street WC1E
(44-207) 636-1141
www.ridgemounthotel.co.uk
£78

The Ridgemount Hotel in Bloomsbury is a delightful family-owned hotel. Steps away from the British Museum and Russell Square. Rooms can be a bit small. But with a wonderful breakfast and all the tea you can hold included, the price is right. — Kevin

58) Novotel London Tower Bridge
10 Pepys Street EC3N
(44-207) 265-6000
www.novotel.com
£89

59) Hilton London Canary Wharf
South Quay Marsh Wall E14
(44-20) 3002-2300;
www.hilton.co.uk/canarywharf
£79

60) Regency Hotel
100 Queen’s Gate SW7
(44-207) 373-7878
www.regency-london.co.uk
£86 "

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/11/travel/11HotelsOne.html?_r=1&em
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Dennis

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 06:47:09 am »
I have worked directly with the Novotel and the Jury's Inn. I've actually had lunch with the Groups Manager of the Novotel the last time I was in London.

There's a hotel by the Marble Arch I think would be a perfect hotel for the group. I can't think of the name at the moment. I'll pull it up when I get back from classes.

Cliff, I'll pull out my rolodex and give you the group contacts. If you'd like, once dates are chosen, I can send an email and copy you in.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 09:30:24 am »
Dennis- That would be helpful.  Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 11:47:41 am »
Carousel had an excellent suggestion in another thread:

I'm also pretty flexible about dates, though the first week in July 2010 is a bit difficult as I have two conferences to organise.

I don't know about flights, but for those who need it, student accommodation may be cheaper way to stay in London.  It is only going to be available outside of term time.  Some of the choices are very close to the centre of town.  It may be a bit basic, but they are normally modern and clean. 

I could look into this, if it was of help.

Back in 2002 (I think) I attended a Positive Living conference in Leicester, held in the grounds of Leicester University. It was a very inexpensive venue. There are plenty of universities in London, so this might be a very good option for everyone. With the Gathering being a non-profit, health-support entity, there just might be room for price negotiation as well, an opportunity you're unlikely to get with a commercial hotel. 

I might be able to get in contact with the organizers of the event in Leicester and pick their brains.

Ann
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 11:51:37 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline carousel

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 01:58:16 pm »
I've done a  bit of research with one University, Westminster and their current prices for student accommodation are:

City, near Old Street   Independent Travellers from £28.00, Groups from £24.75 (sinks in rooms but shared facilities)

International-South Bank- this is near Waterloo.   I know the building from the outside, it's down the road from me.  It's only a few years old and looks fine.
Again this has shared facilities.
Independent Travellers from £26.00

Groups from £18.54

Marylebone House, Baker Street
(We've used this in the past for work and understand that it is good)
These have en suite facilities
Independent Travellers from £52.00

Groups from £47.50

There are other options, but these seemed the best.

At those prices, I presume they are popular, but they seem very reasonable to me. 

Again, it would mean holding the AMG outside term time. 

Offline Basquo

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 03:44:16 pm »
I stayed at this place in 1985:  http://www.nottinghillhotel.com/index.htm

I remember it was clean even if the rooms were a bit small. It's very centrally located; Notting Hill Gate is just north of Holland Park (for all my fellow Ab Fab fans.)

Offline Cliff

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 05:10:22 pm »
All great ideas.  Nailing down the dates will be helpful.  Also getting an idea about people's expectations in accommodation (and what they are prepared to give up or pay to be in C. London).  Getting specifics on the group's price points will be key here. 

In the past I think we've gone for hotels at about $100 to $125 per night.  If people are willing to pay that much, then perhaps a hotel (in C. London) will be doable.  If people would like to spend less such that they can cover an expected higher food bill, then we should check out student accommodation.  Or do we move away from all being in one hotel and let everyone find accommodation that suits them.

Just need a steer from everyone!

Offline Robert

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 08:56:03 pm »

cliff is right.  Hotels have maxxed out around $125/night.  I think SF was the most expensive at maybe $140. I can't remember.  But this rate is double occupancy so if you share a room,  you cut the rate in half.  Also it does not include tax.

One thing about a hotel is that usually it has a bar downstairs where we all meet in the evening for cocktails.  It's a nice opportunity to get to know each other. 

Another amenity about a hotel is breakfast.  If the hotel offers breakfast (continental is fine) again it's a nice time to chat and make plans.  That's when we usually break into groups to do/visit different things.  Some want to go to museums, some to the park (looking for Harry) and some shopping (looking for Herrods.)

I think dorm rooms are fine.  Do they include meals?  Optional?

One thing that is nice is to try to keep us together.  In the past, some have gotten their own accomodations at different hotels and they end up going off on their own.  We never see them and, so, what's the point?

robert

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 09:57:06 pm »
Hi Robert,

When I attended the event in Leicester, meals were included as it we were booked in as a group event. We even had a special dinner on one of the nights. (The other meals were available for a set time, the special meal was at one specific time and all were seated before anyone was served, if you see what I mean. The other meals were more of a cafeteria based thingy.) I'm quite sure this type of thing can be included - it would have to be negotiated with the university in question. I'm not sure if it would be included in the price of each individual room or if it would be a separate charge - that's something we'll have to look into.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Dennis

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 09:59:33 pm »
The hotel I've stayed at is the Thistle Marble Arch. Great location and only a block away from the Tube. Walking distance (for me at least) to SoHo, the gay area. Plenty of shopping as well. Nice little pub that could be used for the social hour.

http://www.thistle.com/en/hotels/united_kingdom/london/thistle_marble_arch/restaurants_and_bars/index.html

I checked rates on their website, and rates have increased dramatically since I stayed there two years ago. This was the hotel I used to book people into who were on a budge. Their rates for March (low season) is GBP 149.00. It's still worth looking into, depending on which route the group decides to go.

Dennis- That would be helpful.  Thanks

Offline carousel

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 05:17:29 am »
I think a £90 to £150 is pretty much the going rate for one of the chain hotels in the centre of London. 

I can understand the preference for a hotel with restaurants and a bar over student accommodation.

I think the facilities Ann mentions regarding student accommodation, tends to be Universities outside London and on campus.  Universities try to make a lot of money during breaks by hiring out their venues, particularly to courses for foreign students.  My understanding is that most London Universities have accommodation spread over London, which would make that all inclusive packages not really workable.

The prices I quoted yesterday were for room only, though the one at Baker Street does have a restaurant. 

As well as Marble Arch, I was thinking about the area around Russell Square and Bloomsbury.  It's within walking distance of the centre and there seem to be a lot of hotels around there.

Offline elf

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 05:45:24 am »
http://easyhotel.com is the least expensive 25 gbp a night.  :)

easyHotel London Victoria
from
£31.50
per room per night

easyHotel London Earls Court
from
£25.00
per room per night

easyHotel London Paddington
from
£29.00
per room per night

easyHotel London South Kensington
from
£35.00
per room per night

easyHotel London Heathrow
from £25.00
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 05:47:20 am by elf »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.