Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:59:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 296
Total: 296

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Forgotten memories from the early days- revived with Coronavirus  (Read 9115 times)

Offline Dfwguy

With the coronavirus pandemic, has  anyone else had a recent reemergence  of  forgotten memories and feelings from back in the early 1980’s days of hiv and aids?

Yesterday, I saw our letter carrier delivering mail while wearing a mask. That brought
Back a forgotten  memory of  The  80’s, when our local postal workers refused to deliver mail to ‘gay houses’. And  the talk of ‘quarantining” - yikes - I recall those scary discussion.

We are long term - 35 years ! - and still hanging in there. Stay safe and be well, my friends
HIV dx .  08/1985

Offline em

Re: Forgotten memories from the early days- revived with Coronavirus
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 04:58:37 pm »
for myself isolation was self imposed

now everyone is being made to do this

I did many years ago have an eye doc appointment were the person doing the exam new about my HIV and how it was AIDS . so to examine my eyes  they wore a protective suit gloves tape around his wrists mask and face shield.

now all the health care workers taking the same precautions with all their patients . 

this brings back a memory

Offline em

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 09:36:33 am »
lessons learned from HIV that people now could use

it is a long journey

filled with  hardship

and as far as isolation you might get used to it . in this ever changing world

this might be the new normal

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 03:08:53 am »
Not really. Thank God I live and tested positive in 1992 in Amsterdam. Never has any healthcare worker appoached or treated me in gown and gloves....except...the last time I was hospitalized in 2001, and that was only for the first week. I was put in immediate isolation because the biopsy came out positive for some form of TB. When it finally was determined to be MAC (Mycobacterium Avium Complex), and that I was no longer infectious, the staff and my visitors no longer needed to wear protective gear.

Not even my dentist made an issue out of it.....her twin brother also had AIDS.

Offline em

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 11:33:58 am »
this was a good one from thirty or so years ago . I was invited to speak at a VA hospital.  there was this room filled with people dying from AIDS. I sat at a round table
everyone had taken a turn to speak. I did not . one of then said and you ( my name here ) so you anything to say today ) I looked  around and off the cuff said . I just wish the healthcare industry would stop just sitting on their hands and twiddling their thumbs  do something to help end this disease because  we do not have much time left . this other guy then said while in a wheelchair he said what we need to do is invite a whole bunch of HIV + girls here and have a party then he laughed so loud and proud. the guy that said my name then said leave it you my friend to bring a smile and joy to us .  anyway that was thirty or so years ago now .. over the next few years my ID doc would sit down during my appointment and twiddle his thumbs in protest of what I said .

what does that have to do with the here and now .   we could all use something to lift our spirits give us hope and joy give us the chance to throw our heads back and loud and proud show how happy we can be on the inside .  a smile is the most powerful tool to live through what  life throughs at you 

all the best to you

EM

Offline em

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 04:53:49 am »
old memory

when I was a teen ager helping my uncle at the garage he worked at

this car came in . no one would touch it

I sat in the driver's seat . my uncle told me not to . the car belonged to a guy who was sick.

you can not get HIV AIDS from just sitting in car of someone who has full blown AIDS

but you are exposed to the residual DNA of the surroundings of the virus that weakens your immune system ..

the really cool car was maybe Arthur Ashes car o well maybe someday I will tell he rest of the story .

believe it or not ? hey I am actually related to the Ripleys maybe he was a relative ?

only one theory many more out there ? you never know where the river starts or stops . until you follow each and every path .

just a thought a what if ? who knows the truth anymore . this was on the internet so therefore it must not be true ?

maybe in my next life ? I will be able to do more go higher and achieve some sort of story telling skills worth reading and worth telling

EM

just another tall tail from the US to UK to the rest of the world .

« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 04:55:50 am by em »

Offline em

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 06:15:53 am »
incase you don't know what Ripley's
believe it or not is  it is a US thing sorry north east ? like you are from europe or some place across the pond
it is like the reverse of the guiness book of world records in the UK < sorry ireland

hey I am actually related to the Ripleys maybe he was a relative ?

I wonder if I have any relatives in europe UK ireland ?

could be . I do know by noes I am part native american indigenous people and part european  celtic anglo saxon  to other roots that run even deeper
sorry what does this have to do with HIV . I would not be surprised if alexander the great who died of a fever died young . had HIV AIDS way back when .

just saying the candle that burns twice as bright lasts half as long .

I hope this makes sense to someone out there

old memories .  revived with coronavirus actually the fear of nasty things happening gets my mind into a state of shock and it makes me think to find an answer . when the answer can not be found by one person. I hope and feel others are working hard and we shall get through this

life will go on

EM
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 06:20:38 am by em »

Offline Expat1

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 04:43:27 am »
 The one memory it brings back is how people who were doing High risk th I vs would ratio alive their behavior. 

Like say only gays got HIM, or gay friends would say that only people who go to the baths get AIDS.

Like MAGAs saying only old people get coronavirus etc. 

Trying  to put out how it is others not us.

Offline em

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 01:55:15 pm »
do not mean to high jack any else's thread or nothing

but was just reflecting on that room full of people at the VA dying form AIDS

when I finished talking and the guy who I had known from an HIV AIDS support group

looked at me and smiled and said leave it to you to bring a smile to our faces when we need it the most . I left thinking some how some way I had wished I could have done more , cause a room full of dying people is a tuff audience  to rap your mind around

it was so sad to see them all in such bad shape

to see a smile brought to their faces and laughter fill the room

I may not have done much but the smiles spoke volumes

EM

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.