Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:15:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 795
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 608
Total: 609

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: are you a pharmacist  (Read 7162 times)

Offline allopathicholistic

are you a pharmacist
« on: January 06, 2007, 10:00:34 pm »
just wondering if anyone here's a pharmacist or works in a pharmaceutical co. or if you know someone (family member, friend) who does. i think i might have to become a pharmacist so i can stay as close as possible to the world of HAART. i am HIV positive after all.... maybe i can even "learn to love" the field

« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 10:58:55 am by allopathicholistic »

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
Don't know of any pharmacists we have, Alex..... a very interesting question though.

I am very sad this month to "lose" my pharmacist of 15 years, Melanie.  Due to a change in my insurance situation and going on Medicare Part D and Alabama ADAP program, I will no longer be able to use her pharmacy (in Atlanta).

A good pharmacist is such an important thing to have!  I cannot tell you how helpful Melanie has been to me over the years, and I consider her a major factor in my successes.   She handled everything, effortlessly and with never a complaint. 

Now, it's probably Wal-Mart or Wal-Greens for me, haven't had to fill anything yet - I dread it.  :'(
I was able to 'carry' a balance with her pharmacy; I'm sure that won't happen at Wal-Mart.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 10:12:27 pm by AlanBama »
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Now, it's probably Wal-Mart or Wal-Greens for me, haven't had to fill anything yet - I dread it.  :'(
I was able to 'carry' a balance with her pharmacy; I'm sure that won't happen at Wal-Mart.

You'll make new friends at Walgreens too honeypie

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
I worked, long ago for Genovese Drugstores which I think CVS picked up... but in management, not pharmacy.  From what I have read, pharmacists make major dollars since there aren't enough of them.  On the other hand, private pharmacies are being killed along every other retail option by the Wal-Marts and chains, squeezed to being unable to make a profit.  The problem with working for a large company is that you will be under the microscope to fill prescriptions as fast as you can because that's what brings in the cash.  CVS does own Pharmacare, part of which is dedicated to serving the hiv population, having bought out Stadlander's first.  You may also remember the ties between poz.com and a gay, hiv positive pharmacy.  Best, Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline blondbeauty

When choosing my university degree I thought about studying Pharmacy but I finally graduate in Advertising and Public Relations.
I like think the pharma industry is a very interesting field.
We should all buy share options in the big pharma companies that make our meds. Every pill we take would make us richer!
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
I wish I could do that Juan!   I'm so poor, I couldn't buy a fur coat for a piss ant these days.....

:-\
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Life

• Member 2005
Alex, my Brother is a Pharmacist.... I get all my kewl drugs from him... ;D

the bottom line is this:

keep your friends close and your AMBIGUOUS "FRIENDS" even closer!!!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(    http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=7528.0  

As poz people, the big drug companies are our ambiguous "friends" Hey Ann: Thanks
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 10:15:43 am by allopathicholistic »

Offline Cliff

I invest in pharma.  I don't think they are an easy or guaranteed investment, cause you can lose money (and a lot of it) investing in stocks (especially risky stock like pharma).  People think the industry is awash in cash and a great investment, but they do have their problems (and many go bust) just like any other co/industry.  I've also recommended certain drug companies to friends (a select few that were having problems, so their stock price was cheap, and I was fairly certain those companies had the ability to overcome their problems).

HIV is small potatoes, (at least compared to other disease/conditions), for most drug companies (though Gilead, think Viread, Truvada and Emtriva, is heavily invested in HIV).  I see them not as a friend or an enemy.  Just an entity fulfilling a need for profit.  I don't think we need them, per se.  Or should be beholden to them.  But at the same time, I don't see them as the spawn of the devil as some people do.  There just should be checks and balances, to ensure the drug co's drive to maximize profits (as all private companies do) doesn't harm consumers (like Abbott's attempt to stifle the PI market would).

I personally think Norvir should be deemed a monopoly product and regulated like other monopolies (basically allow any company to produce their own version of Norvir while paying a licensing fee, set by the government, to Abbott.

i need to be near the "water well" i think.  this quote from randym in another thread pretty much sums it up!
But as I always thought, even before I had this illness that needs monthly maint, job based med coverage is for the birds. Thats the way it is in the US, and it really needs to change. Going year by year, and not knowing whats in store for the future is fine if your young and healthy. But pretty scary if you need to depend on med insurance. And hope your employer is able to cope as well.

I would say job based med coverage is for the birds and the question marks get even larger and more glaring if your employer is not part of the medical world.

Well then folks, looks like I'll be going to pharmacy school or something along those lines ... NOT REALLY MY CUP OF TEA but hey sometimes you gotta do whatcha gotta do   >:(  >:(   And who knows perhaps I can learn to love it  :-\  :-\  :-\

Congratulations HIV: You have pretty much forced me into a line of work I have zero interest in  >:(  >:( I hate you HIV

God bless America  :-\  :-\  :-\ Why do I feel slightly angry and confused right now?  >:(  ??? I can feel some rage building up inside, ughhhhh.....  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

And to Cliff: Thanks for the food for thought

« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 03:28:45 pm by allopathicholistic »

Offline Iggy

Re: tremendous RAGE growing inside of me. I don't know why. PLEASE HELP
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 02:15:15 pm »
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 11:10:01 pm by Iggy »

Re: congratulations H#@%&*I#@%&*V
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 03:31:01 pm »
bump filled with RAGE

Offline Cliff

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 07:00:51 pm »
Allo,

I'm not sure I understand why you would go into a field that you have no interest in.  Why is HIV making you study pharmacy?

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
I wish I could do that Juan!   I'm so poor, I couldn't buy a fur coat for a piss ant these days.....

:-\

I've got a fur coat for you! :)

-joseph

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2007, 10:30:15 pm »
Allo,

I'm not sure I understand why you would go into a field that you have no interest in.  Why is HIV making you study pharmacy?

Because if big pharma is gonna make us pozzies into a meal ticket then I will make big pharma into my personal drinking well (a well which never runs dry) ..... Please see Ann's thread: http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=7528.0   

Offline Life

• Member 2005
I've got a fur coat for you! :)

-joseph

What about the tunic and a spear?  ;)

Offline FiercenBed

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2007, 11:22:45 pm »
those abbott people r a buncha nazis

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2007, 11:58:14 pm »
If I try to go back to Wall Street, somewhere down the line some H.R. person's gonna ask me why I haven't worked since the summer of 2005.

"Oh, I had an illness."

"How did you support yourself?"

"Welfare."

Hmmmm, let's see -- illness, welfare, NYC resident, it's gotta be HIV/AIDS! Next!

I'm not a masochist.

And even if I do get back in, office politics on Wall Street are more atrocious than the stereotypes -trust me, I was there for nearly 9 years. Look at how Wall Street made me, an otherwise normal person, into a bloody psycho. Insurance plans can be major headaches too. I need to find the path of least resistance and going back to Wall Street ain't it. My mental and physical health depend on me finding the path of least resistance, so I'm thinking about the world of pharmaceuticals. After all, I'll be needing HAART for the rest of my life unless a cure for HIV is found so why not be near the source right?

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2007, 12:03:03 am »

Alex...

In our talks I know you have shown your displeasure with Wall Street.  Definitely stay away from something that is only going to make you unhappy!

Goodluck in what ever you choose...  How is the throat by the way?

Thomas
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2007, 12:11:41 am »
Thing is, Wall Street turned me into a monster. I liked the income. But I did not like what it did to my mind and soul.

Perhaps if I get into pharmacy I'll be forced to seriously seriously care about people

Too much mucinex has dried my throat.

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2007, 12:47:46 am »
Alex, you don't have to enroll in pharmacy school to become something of an expert on HIV meds or pharmaceuticals in general. Hell, Karen Walker (W&G) and Patsy (AbFab) probably knew/know more about pills than your average pharmacist.

But seriously, I'm a bit concerned that you're considering a career in a field in which you say you have zero "natural" interest. You can be a lay expert (NO pun intended) without being a professional (again, I'm not punning).

Jay
(eating more ice cream)
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline Eldon

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2007, 01:56:18 am »

Hey Alex,

I wanted to chime and and wish you the BEST on your journey.

"What can I notice right now that makes me smile?"

Offline Cliff

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2007, 02:10:49 am »
Because if big pharma is gonna make us pozzies into a meal ticket then I will make big pharma into my personal drinking well (a well which never runs dry) ..... Please see Ann's thread: http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=7528.0   
I still don't get it.  I don't see how that's connected with what you plan on doing for the rest of your working life.   ???

Offline Iggy

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2007, 10:04:43 am »
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 11:04:03 pm by Iggy »

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
Re: are you a pharmacist
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2007, 11:32:34 am »
one doesn't just "become" a pharmacist.
4 year degree course, + 12 months pre-reg, then more exams.

(and no, they don't get to take leftovers home)

why not look into taking your wall st skills (assume finance related?) to an NGO/charity..?

Just a thought.

Kate

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.