Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:29:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 649
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 648
Total: 648

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: PD-1 long-term nonprogressors (LTNP) and new china discovery 1 June 2007  (Read 4045 times)

Offline bimazek

Basically this says many things but most important is.... PD-1 is High in HIV-specific CD8 T cells in typical disease progressors (TPs) but not in long-term nonprogressor (LTNP) patients.  This means that all people who do not get sick from HIV is because their PD-1 never turns to the high state so that means the CD8 cell never gets turned off by pd-1 .

this graph shows everything... this shows why the hiv   CD8   pd-1 interactions are so complex, because the process is very complex., this is why disease progression is complex as to when or how fast it progresses
here will be the future long term solution i believe because now for first time science understands the entire process of why the cd8 cells do not do thier job as they do in other animals...

http://bloodjournal.hematologylibrary.org/content/vol109/issue11/images/large/zh80110704370001.jpeg

Antigen-presenting cells (APCs)

HIV-1 disease progression, and the defects are reversible because inhibition of HIV-1 viremia by HAART restores virus-specific CD8 T cells with reduced PD-1 expression. This highlights PD-1/PD-L1 interaction as a potential therapeutic target for chronic HIV-1 infection. It is possible to recover HIV-specific T-cell functions either by reducing viremia or by blockading PD-1/PD-L1 interaction.

one thing i must disagree with in this article is that they say... is the idea that a once a week pd-1 inhibitor cannot do good

http://bloodjournal.hematologylibrary.org/cgi/content/full/109/11/4593

Blood, 1 June 2007, Vol. 109, No. 11, pp. 4593-4594.

PD-1 is up-regulated on HIV-specific CD8 T cells in typical disease progressors (TPs) but not in long-term nonprogressor (LTNP) patients,

PD-1+ T cells: exhausted and premature?

UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA AT CHAPEL HILL

PD-1 up-regulation is correlated with the exhaustion of virus-specific CD8 T cells in people chronically infected with HIV-1. Zhang and colleagues report that PD-1 is up-regulated on HIV-specific CD8 T cells in typical disease progressors (TPs) but not in long-term nonprogressor (LTNP) patients, and PD-1 expression is down-regulated in HIV-1 patients with successful response to HAART therapy.

Zhang and colleagues report that PD-1 is up-regulated on human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)–specific CD8 T cells in typical disease progressors (TPs) but not in long-term nonprogressor (LTNP) patients. PD-1 up-regulation is associated with reduced expression of CD8 effectors perforin and IFN-, and decreased T-cell proliferation. Of interest, as blockade of PD-1 with anti–PD-L1 mAb in vitro restores effector functions of CD8 T cells, HIV-1 patients with successful response to highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) appear to also restore HIV-specific CD8 T cells in vivo.

These findings suggest that sustained PD-1 expression on HIV-specific CD8 T cells depends on active HIV-1 viremia, and reducing viremia with HAART can reverse the defects associated with PD-1 expression in HIV-specific CD8 T cells.

The inhibitory receptor PD-1 is rapidly up-regulated on activated T cells (reviewed in Sharpe et al5). Its expression is decreased on effector T cells and diminished on memory T cells after antigen clearance.

THIS IS WHY THINGS CAN BE VERY BAD VERY FAST IN HIV DISEASE...
Upon antigen restimulation, effector T cells also up-regulate expression of PD-1. Therefore, sustained stimulation of naive and/or effector T cells during chronic virus infection will lead to accumulation of PD-1+ T cells.

Antigen-presenting cells (APCs) in HIV-1–infected patients express high levels of PD-L1 or B7-H1.6

It is likely that impaired APCs with PD-L1 may help sustain PD-1 expression on T cells and impair their effector maturation, and allow chronic viral infection (see figure).     
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 11:33:12 pm by bimazek »

Offline hahaha

Being a Chinese, I mean Taiwanese, I try to search related articles but fail.  It seems that Chinese government treat this as top secret and has not yet disclosed to the public any progress they have.  But I really cross my finger and wish in the very near future, an vaccine of immunetherapy would be born..........

I hate sustiva...... >:(

Aug 9, 2006 Get infected in Japan #$%^*
Oct 2006 CD4 239
Nov 2006 CD4 299 VL 60,000
Dec 1, Sustiva, Ziagan and 3TC
Jan 07, CD4 400

Offline J220

The good news is that I believe the Chinese government would just LOVE to upstage the Western world, and be the one to come up with a cure for HIV. This conceivably could turn out to be the case. Fingers crossed.
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.