Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:42:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 701
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 681
Total: 682

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: POZ for a month. Dealing with it.  (Read 6173 times)

Offline 1n1s2

POZ for a month. Dealing with it.
« on: January 25, 2017, 01:16:18 pm »
I tested POZ in early December and was quickly put on medication treatment. After one month of taking regular meds my CD4 count is significantly improved,  in the high 600's and viral load less than 10% of what it was before.

I'm not sure when or how I got infected. But I have a general idea. I don't pretend to having been a 100%safe person. I've contacted my most recent sexual partners, most of whom where brief encounters with condoms, and they are getting tested.

It hasn't hit me yet emotionally. All of my reactions have been dealing with the actions that need to be taken. My only concern was the expense of the pills. But working with my doctor and insurance provider I was able to enter a program that will be helping me out for the foreseeable future, a great relief.

I haven't engaged in casual or recreational sex since the diagnosis. Although I must admit that I have partaken in some drugs, nothing with injections, to relieve work and other stress. NOTE... I have NEVER missed a day in taking medication.

Why haven't I cried? Why am I not afraid? Should I be? I haven't told my family or best friends. I don't know how. but also don't know if their input would be valuable, and I don't want to concern them unnecessarily with something I have under control for the time being. (I don't have any illusions that things won't deteriorate eventually)

I just wanted to share. Let me know how much of a cold heartless monster I am

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
Re: POZ for a month. Dealing with it.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 01:48:44 pm »
Firstly, sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but glad you found these forums for support and enlightenment.

In regard to medications:  in case you don't know, there are several co-pay assistance programs out there that will pay significantly toward your insurance co-pays.  Many of these programs are not "means tested," so it does not matter what your income or assets are.  You can peruse this link for information on these programs:

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/drug-assistance-programs

So go ahead and google your medication to learn if there is a co-pay assistance
program or programs available to you.

Whether you disclose your condition to family, friends, or others is a personal decision that should not be taken lightly because once you disclose, you can't take the disclosure back.  This is not to suggest that you should not, but that you should think carefully about it and do what is right for you under your unique circumstances.

Certainly, one should disclose to potential sexual partners and to the appropriate medical personnel, but others may or may not need to know.  These days, HIV is very much like many other medical conditions, and people may or may not disclose those conditions to others.  Why should you?  It is your business alone, unless, of course, you desire to convey the information for your own reasons (emotional support, etc.).  Take your time on this:  no hurry or rush needed.

I'm glad to read that you are on medication and doing well.  Best wishes to you for a long and healthy life. 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline klauss

• Keep the fight going...
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 01:52:10 pm »
Hey 1n1s2,

I also tested Poz in 05 December 2016,newly like you,reading your post,I can relate,I'm on meds also but only from 07 January,no major side effects,only from time to time un upset stomach.

I also told anybody,only I and my doctor now for the time being,d'not now we are "monsters'' :),I consider my self a tough person,and try to manage my condition,I go to work everyday,is a bit new and hard to go for prescription for meds and test ,every month but I try to manage the situation the best way I can,just like you....
I haven't cried yet ,but I have a little bit of anger with me ,because I alowed to get HIV+ but from where I am right now ,only thing I do right from now,is taking my meds every single day(i take them at 8 pm),take blood test ,trying to stay healthy as much as I can and trying to have a positive attitude....
DX: 05.12.2016

12.12.2016 CD4 347,CD8 1032,VL= will now soon
07.01.2017 Start meds
Emtriva+Tenofovir+Tivicay (first two make Truvada,but not available yet in my country)
18.05.2017  VL -UD
18.102017 cd4 633   cd8 907 Vl

Offline paintedroom

• Dx`d July 2016
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 02:42:43 pm »
Welcome to a really invaluable resource 1n.
I tested positive in july last year and that first month was a trip to say the least(made infinitely easier by  the contributors here).
I wonder sometimes whether it`s hit me yet as it`s quite the elusive and ghostly companion - i never really felt physically sick and only had a couple of kaposi sarcoma(i say only because they are now much diminished).Today i am well and at last results the virus was undetectable and my CD4`s were rising..i have no reason to believe otherwise today.The emotional and psychological side of this experience is all important so a sound and reasonable relationship with oneself is king.Do positive things every day whether that means visiting here or exercising or enjoying good relations with family and friends.I chose not to tell a soul and so far i have found that to be a wise choice for me.My noble rationale was simple,i am coping well,why burden anyone else.My less noble rationale was the uneasy self scrutiny that might result from the pitying eyes and tone of the well meaning. The Stigma is the potent enemy that needs to be treated with stool and whip some days.Overall i feel very dam grateful every day..a short read of the stories of the LTS`s will remedy any lows you might feel.

Wishing you well,you will get better and as they say around here, you will live a long and rewarding life just like the lesser negative crowd.P.
Dx`d mid July 2016
8/8/2016 - CD4 50     VL 50,000
5/9/2016 -  CD4 150
13/9/2016  VL  undetectable.
March `17 - CD4 193   VL undetectable.
March  `18 CD4 214    VL undetectable
March 2019 CD4 325  VL UD
Genvoya - Changed to Biktarvy feb 2021

Offline 1n1s2

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 03:20:42 pm »
yeah. I'll be able to open up sometime in the future I think.

The three drugs I'm on are Prezcorbix, Tivicay, and Descovy
which have a combined cost in my area of $5000 a month.
So being on my insurance program that makes it a lot cheaper a month is great.

I started taking my meds at 8am, right before I go to work. but now I regret that. I wish I had done something more reasonable like 8pm. anyways its not a great inconvenience. i just have to run back in to my room sometimes if I forget. lol.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 03:37:51 pm »
bienvenu to the forum 1n1s2.  ;D
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Mightysure

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 12:33:59 pm »
Sorry to hear about that.  You're very young into it. I don't think you've had enough to experience the gambit of emotions.  You haven't cried because you possibly don't want to go down that road.  It's dark. It's scary.  It's lonely.  You shouldn't be afraid.  It's not what it used to be.  Youre responding well to the meds. I'm assuming you're in otherwise good health.
Wait to disclose to non-essential people (people I describe as non sexual partners, past or present) because it's not their business.  I understand people don't want to deal with it alone, but you need to process it and be at a good place before you lay this on someone else because it may be hard for them as well and you don't want their reaction to put you in a bad place.
I told some non-essentials and while I'm fortunate that their reactions were awesome, I sometimes regret it.  They didn't have to know, but at the least I felt this pressure to tell people in my life. It was mostly external pressure to "come out". 
I'm just over two years and I don't even really think about it.  Its more of a headache for me dealing with insurance companies, pharmacies and copay assistance than the actual virus.  I think you'll get to that point as well.
I'm sorry you're hear in this section,  but it's a great place to be though. 

Offline JosephP

• Keep looking FORWARD... Dx'd 8/10/2013...
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 10:28:52 pm »
Hey 1n1s2,

I also tested Poz in 05 December 2016,newly like you,reading your post,I can relate,I'm on meds also but only from 07 January,no major side effects,only from time to time un upset stomach.

I also told anybody,only I and my doctor now for the time being,d'not now we are "monsters'' :),I consider my self a tough person,and try to manage my condition,I go to work everyday,is a bit new and hard to go for prescription for meds and test ,every month but I try to manage the situation the best way I can,just like you....
I haven't cried yet ,but I have a little bit of anger with me ,because I alowed to get HIV+ but from where I am right now ,only thing I do right from now,is taking my meds every single day(i take them at 8 pm),take blood test ,trying to stay healthy as much as I can and trying to have a positive attitude....

I can no longer be considered a 'newby' as I was diagnosed three and a half years ago.. You haven't cried... you said. Well everyone reacts differently. I did cry and cried like a baby... Woke up in the middle of the night and cried! But not crying doesn't a monster make! Anger is very common, you will see in the forums. Those are emotions we go thru.. Yes, I was angry for allowing it to happen. How could I have been so stupid. But it did happen. I have yet to disclose to anyone. Maybe someday but for now, I need to concentrate on many other things. Take your meds as prescribed and make your doctor your best friend! Yes, the monthly running to the pharmacy to pick up the meds is taxing. Keep the positive attitude and, while it will not disappear, hiv will seem easier to handle.
Today January 20, 2020, I have taken 2378 pills of my ARV since first pill. This means 79 bottles of 30 pills of ARVs at an average of $3950 per bottle or $313,103 USD for my treatment. I have a compliance of 99.83% taking my meds and only .17% (or 4 pills) non-compliant. Of these four pills two I forgot completely, One I lost and one I didn't have with me while traveling! I became UD 3 months after treatment start   ***We are all dealing with this. And we will live long and productive lives!! AND, yes the Lord is my shepherd. Life is good... And thanks for the meds! ***

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 09:31:14 pm »
yeah. I'll be able to open up sometime in the future I think.

The three drugs I'm on are Prezcorbix, Tivicay, and Descovy
which have a combined cost in my area of $5000 a month.
So being on my insurance program that makes it a lot cheaper a month is great.

I started taking my meds at 8am, right before I go to work. but now I regret that. I wish I had done something more reasonable like 8pm. anyways its not a great inconvenience. i just have to run back in to my room sometimes if I forget. lol.

ojo        HELLO THERE....I THINK YOU CAN CHANGE THE TIME YOU TAKE YOUR MEDS, CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR HOW TO DO IT...I'VE BEEN HIV FOR 22 YEARS, I HAVE DISCLOSED JUST TO MY FAMILY...TAKE YOUR TIME, DIGEST YOUR DIAGNOSIS, THEN, YOU WILL DECIDE IF YOU WANT TO DISCLOSE OR NO...IF YOU DON'T CRY, DON'T WORRY, I DIDN'T DO IT EITHER, EVERY BODY REACTS DIFFFERENTLY...GOOD ATTITUDE HELPS, IT DOESN'T MATTER, NOW, HOW YOU ACQUIRED THE VIRUS, WHAT IT MATTERS IS THAT YOU KNOW YOU HAVE IT, NOW YOU TREAT IT...I HOPE YOU CAN FIND THE RIGHT TIME TO TAKE YOUR MEDS, I, EVEN AFTER 22 YEARS OF TAKING PILLS, I STILL RUN BACK TO MY HOUSE FOR MY MEDS, ALTHOUGH, SOMETIMES I TAKE THEM WITH ME WHEN I GO OUT FOR DINNER...BEST OF LUCK...HUGS                                    OJO

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.