Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:47:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772963
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 228
Total: 228

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Over 12 mths poz, only just diagnosed  (Read 5988 times)

Offline Big_Ted

Over 12 mths poz, only just diagnosed
« on: April 12, 2013, 09:56:23 pm »
Hey all.  Wanted to share my tale.

In feb 2012, I got sick.  Real sick.  I had this bloody awful flu, my muscles ached, my hearing was massively hyper sensitive, and all my lymph nodes went hard.  ALL of em.

I went to my GP in outer eastern Melbourne, Australia, and they took some blood.  They tested me for Dengue Fever, Scarlet fever, glandular fever, even lymphoma and typhoid!  But they didn't test me for HIV, because I didn't ask.

They told me lymph nodes only come up as a result of viral contact, so even though they had not found the infection, they gave me some anti virals.  I took the course, and my symptoms faded - except the muscle fatigue which has plagued me since.

In July I packed my car, sold my stuff and took off to drive solo around Australia.  It was amazing and I had the time of my life.  I didn't get sick again all year - not even a cold!  I was healthy as a horse.

I returned to Melbourne in February this year, and settled into a new happy stress-free life.  Then last weekend, I got a phone call.  It was a man I met in cairns, who had just tested positive for HIV.  He explained that he seroconverted in late January, about 3 months after he and I had been frequent lovers.

Almost immediately I started getting a cold.  Didn't think much of that, as I was a bit busy getting my butt to a doctor!  I was lucky that I live a few blocks away from the clinic in Australia which is offering the rapid tests.  I went in 11:45 Wednesday morning, and by 12:30 the same day I knew I had HIV as well.

What was worse, after telling the doc my tale, he told me that I most likely seroconverted more than 12 months ago.  Then he told me my cold had all the markers of an immune-response.

I was floored.  But then he gave me some good news - my muscle fatigue (which I thought was just my body being unfit) is quite possibly treatable :)

It's now Saturday, and shockingly I'm alright.  I treated my diagnosis like a bandaid on hair, and just "ripped it off" quickly.  I have now fully disclosed to all my lovers since feb 2012, I have added my poz symbol to my scruff and growlr profiles.

I have to say, I don't see storm clouds on my horizon.  As I have been poz for over 12 months, my body has reached benchmark point for my counts - so when I get my counts I may be eligible for immediate treatment.  Even if my counts aren't high enough, my amazing doctor wants to put me in a study and get me medicated ASAP, to fix my fatigue.

I have a great doctor, amazing friends, a supportive (if naive) flatmate, and a positive outlook.  Being poz won't kill me, it will just make me a more responsible person.

Offline Big_Ted

Re: Over 12 mths poz, only just diagnosed
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 10:05:02 pm »
As an FYI, I will be receiving my formative results on Monday.  But the doctor and I have both discussed, and really, the formative diagnosis is just a formality in my case.  Symptomatically, the truth is undeniable.  But for those out there who say "you're not poz till its formative", I guess I'll be HIV positive on Monday...  Lol.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 12:27:28 am »
I am sorry you are positive, but it sounds like you're dealing with this as best as can be expected.  That is good to hear. 

The illness you describe, from February 2012, certainly sounds like seroconversion illness.  I had the lymph nodes swollen all over and the most awful fatigue.  I could barely brush my teeth and bathe.  I blamed it on mono.  It's interesting to talk to some, who say they never had any seroconversion illness. 

You've learned your status fairly quickly, as many don't find out until they have AIDS.  That will allow you to know your health status, as well as not inadvertently infect others.  Glad to hear you have a support system.

Keep in touch,

Ted

Offline Big_Ted

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 12:50:55 am »
Hey Ted!

I honestly look at this as a sign from the universe that my life will never be mundane or ordinary.  So I should go do something extraordinary with my life.

There's no point being upset or sad about it, the medication available ensures that I won't lose a minute of my life to this virus, and frankly it's easier to manage than diabetes, so why worry?

I'm hoping that I fit the criteria for medication sooner rather than later, so that I can get back to doing what I wanted to do - travel the world.

Much love, and I hope I can be an inspiration to some of you struggling out there!

Ted #2

Offline fer00

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 11:05:30 pm »
Its great that you are so positive Ted its very admirable!
Diagnosed February 2013
CD4 354, VL 4,000
March started on Truvada, Viramune
June Cd4 450, VL 20
Aug VL undetectable
Oct Cd4 503, VL undetectable

Offline Big_Ted

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 01:12:15 am »
So, for those of you paying attention in class, you'll know it's Monday here in oz.

My western blots came back today, an confirmed the rapid diagnosis (along with the symptoms, the back story and the fact that I really was misbehaving).

So, I have survived the "sh*t just got real" appointment.  Doc took 3 samples for counts, and discussed giving me my hepatitis boosters as a precaution once my counts come back.

Naturally, I'm a little bit miffed about having to make myself sick so soon after get in diagnosed, but on the upside, it's the sickest I'm gonna be, it's all up from there.

Has anyone got experience with hep boosters?  Doc says depending on my lymphocyte count the boosters may make me pretty unwell for a week or so.  Was hoping someone might have had this done, and can tell me what to expect?

Offline msavoy

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 10:41:51 am »
Hey Big_Ted,
I'm like you, was just recently diagnosed and they wanted to give me my hep b shot because one I got a few years back didn't take.  Anyway, it was a quick and unpleasant poke in my left shoulder which left it kind of tender for the next couple of days, but besides that, I felt fine afterwards.  They did have me wait in the waiting room after the shot for 15 minutes just to make sure I didn't have a reaction. 

Good luck!
Mark

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.