Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:07:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 622
Total: 623

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A must read on alternative therapies  (Read 7662 times)

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
A must read on alternative therapies
« on: September 12, 2008, 12:00:25 pm »
One of our bloggers, Paul Dalton, just posted a must-read entry regarding alternative therapies (like herbal medicines, "immune-boosting" vitamins, etc.):

http://blogs.poz.com/paul/archives/2008/09/prove_it.html

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: A must read on alternative therapies
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 12:57:41 pm »
As I'm reading Paul's post (who is kind of hunky btw) I'm virtually whisked back to my own life in the early 90's -- the mountains of blue green algae pills, the Nick Siano symposiums at Friends in Deed, smelly tumeric turning my piss odd colors, expensive imported pills from France made of some kind of shrub wood.  Endless jaunts to the sole pharmacy that carried these oddities on 2nd Ave. in the East Village.  Biweekly visits to a South African acupuncturist, who had an actual M.D. degree so he'd bill my medical insurance for it but with some other coding so I paid nothing (evidently he was so good he even appeared on CNN about the topic).

But then Paul writes:

What really improved my health however wasn’t herbs, wasn’t massage, wasn’t yoga, wasn’t prayer, wasn’t tweaking my chi- it was stavudine, lamivudine and indinavir- nasty, harsh and altogether life saving chemicals.

::nods head in agreement::
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 04:02:29 pm »
I remember each summer in 86 and 87 traveling to Boston to attend the Kushi Institute and immerse myself in macrobiotic cooking. I was convinced macrobiotics was the answer to da AIDS. Three grand a summer to learn how to cook dandelions and kombu to get my ying/yang back on track. In 88 I decided I liked cocaine better than a daikon radish tea.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 12:44:35 am »
Oh boy, does this ring a lot of bells.

Spirulina powder, now marketed as bluegreen algae. I used to mix that powder with milk every morning, along with a banana and anything else I could think of to prevent it tasting like the bottom of a fish tank. It was gritty and nasty tasting, but that meant it worked, right? ;)

Kombucha tea, made by immersing some organism into sugared tea, letting it digest the sugar and then drinking the aftermath. Didn't taste that bad, but not that great either.

Chinese herbs, usually prescribed by a friend who swore he could tell I needed them just by looking at me.

This same friend, who also had the AIDS, got me to try some experimental stuff some biologist he knew had come up with. We were supposed to put an eyedropper full into a glass of tepid water and drink it twice a day. To this day I don't know what the ingredients in this elixir were. For all I know the biologist was peeing in the bottles. It tasted rather like urine. :o

As our Alan is fond of saying, we would have probable drank Drano if someone said it would help.

As Paul wrote in his blog, it was the meds that worked for him. Me too!

They came along just in time for me. My friend, who convinced me to try all that weird stuff, passed away in 2000.

He was lousy when it came to adherence to a regimen.

Hey Doxie, I don't know about diakon tea, but I like dandelion greens. As for the cocaine, well, these days I'll just stick to coffee and green tea.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 07:22:54 pm »
Hey Doxie, I don't know about diakon tea, but I like dandelion greens. As for the cocaine, well, these days I'll just stick to coffee and green tea.

I haven't done blow in years, but it sure took the edge off da AIDS in the early 90's.  :D

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 08:34:55 pm »
I think the worst thing that I remember is making tea from some crap called "bitter melon" -- it's was just dreadful.

And IIRC that blue green algae is a major fart producer.  I wish I had kept records of the massive amounts of money I spent on all of this crap.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 08:41:34 pm »
I remember a friend of mine (dead) thought reiki would heal his aids.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 12:09:49 am »
I remember each summer in 86 and 87 traveling to Boston to attend the Kushi Institute and immerse myself in macrobiotic cooking. I was convinced macrobiotics was the answer to da AIDS. Three grand a summer to learn how to cook dandelions and kombu to get my ying/yang back on track. In 88 I decided I liked cocaine better than a daikon radish tea.

You could'a had a V8 (or an 8-ball)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.