Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 11:15:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37689
  • Latest: Bruno
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773510
  • Total Topics: 66378
  • Online Today: 430
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 177
Total: 177

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Obama care plans DO NOT COVERING HIV drugs  (Read 5141 times)

Offline chgo2012

Obama care plans DO NOT COVERING HIV drugs
« on: November 01, 2016, 03:47:30 pm »
I have my "Kaiser" health insurance for over 15 years... after became positive, didn't want to go to anywhere else, since their regime work just fine, but the premiums started to go up while the benefits got chopped then I was suggested to enroll on the OBAMA CARE.  Getting there, I noticed that, my premiums could be a lot smaller but, for my dismay, NONE the health insurance companies available (INCLUDED KAISER) do NOT COVER the medications I need.  (shame on them) WHAT TO DO?  ... I heard that about 2 years ago some states or individuals filled a law suit against health care companies refusing to pay for special medications. Anyone knows anything about it? Any update? Serious responses and guidance will be highly appreciated.

Offline MitchMiller

Re: Obama care plans DO NOT COVERING HIV drugs
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 02:31:11 am »
Anthem's plan covers mine and many others. 

Perhaps there's a generic for your med and the policy requires you use the generic.  If so, then don't use the brand name when searching.  For example, use Ziagen instead of Abacavir; use lamivudine instead of epivir; etc.

Offline Mightysure

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 12:10:33 pm »
Unfortunately, states have too much authority in implementing Obamacare. That's shocking that no carrier and no plan covers them. What state are you in? Check with your state's ADAP program or the manufacturer of your medicine to see if you can get it for free.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 04:27:33 pm »
you should definitely check with your local (or state) ADAP provider. Many states have a very limited amount of plans covering HIV meds (I think SC might be down to 1 insurance agency now), and almost always a consumer needs to purchase the silver plan to get HIV med and testing coverage.

Depending on your financial status ADAP may be able to pay your insurance premiums after enrolling you in a plan covering HIV treatment
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 08:37:04 am »
See if you qualify for Ryan White and if that program can help.

The Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program provides a comprehensive system of care that includes primary medical care and essential support services for people living with HIV who are uninsured or underinsured. The Program works with cities, states, and local community-based organizations to provide HIV care and treatment services to more than half a million people each year. The Program reaches approximately 52% of all people diagnosed with HIV in the United States.

https://hab.hrsa.gov/about-ryan-white-hivaids-program/about-ryan-white-hivaids-program

i think if meds are not covered that would qualify as underinsured.
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.