Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:31:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 209
Total: 211

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Vitamin D Supplements Appear to Be Associated With Lower Mortality  (Read 12083 times)

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
Yes, my 3rd post today. But reading for me, shared for you  ;)

Les Lang
Nov 2007

Individuals who take vitamin D supplements appear to have a lower risk of death from any cause over an average follow-up time of 6 years, according to a meta-analysis of 18 previously published studies in the September 10, 2007, issue of Archives of Internal Medicine.

Past studies have suggested that deficiencies in vitamin D might be associated with a higher risk of death from cancer, heart disease, and diabetes-illnesses that account for 60%-70% of deaths in high-income nations, according to background information in the article. "If the associations made between vitamin D and these conditions were consistent, then interventions effectively strengthening vitamin D status should result in reduced total mortality," the authors write.

Dr Philippe Autier, of the International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France, and Dr Sara Gandini, of the European Institute of Oncology, Milano, Italy, searched for randomized controlled trials of vitamin D supplements published before November 2006. They analyzed 18 separate trials that included 57,311 participants and evaluated doses of vitamin D ranging from 300-2000 IU, with an average dose of 528 IU. Most commercially available supplements contain between 400 and 600 IU.

Over an average follow-up period of 5.7 years, 4777 participants died. Individuals who took vitamin D had a 7% lower risk of death than those who did not. In the 9 trials that collected blood samples, those who took supplements had an average 1.4- to 5.2-fold higher blood level of vitamin D than those who did not.

"Mechanisms by which vitamin D supplementation would decrease all-cause mortality are not clear," the authors write. Vitamin D could inhibit some mechanisms by which cancer cells proliferate, or it may boost the function of blood vessels or the immune system, they note. "In conclusion, the intake of ordinary doses of vitamin D supplements seems to be associated with decreases in total mortality rates," the authors write. "The relationship between baseline vitamin D status, dose of vitamin D supplements and total mortality rates remains to be investigated. Population-based, placebo-controlled randomized trials in people 50 years or older for at least 6 years with total mortality as the main end point should be organized to confirm these findings."

The meta-analysis "adds a new chapter in the accumulating evidence for a beneficial role of vitamin D on health," writes Dr Edward Giovannucci of the Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, in an accompanying editorial. "Research on vitamin D should be continued to clearly elucidate the specific benefits and optimal intakes and levels of vitamin D," Dr Giovannucci continues. "Nonetheless, based on the total body of evidence of health conditions associated with vitamin D deficiency, abetted with the results from this meta-analysis, a more proactive attitude to identify, prevent and treat vitamin D deficiency should be part of standard medical care. From a broader public health perspective, the roles of moderate sun exposure, food fortification with vitamin D and higher-dose vitamin D supplements for adults need to be debated."

For more details, see "Vitamin D supplementation and total mortality: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials," Arch Intern Med 2007;167:1730-1737; 1709-1710.    

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
Re: Vitamin D Supplements Appear to Be Associated With Lower Mortality
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 07:19:40 pm »
I think it's quite worthwile to ask your doctor to run a vitamin D level if you can. This is especially true if you are sedentary and don't get out much in the sun, as many office workers. Certain HAART drugs and anti depressants can lower vitamin D levels too. And you get less and less with age. I was found to have a very low D level of 12 ng/ml back in january 2007. Normal range is 30 to 100. The RDA for vitamin D is 400 IU/day. I took 1200 IU /day for 6 months. It did almost nothing - the D level was 15 ng/ml after that. My doc gave me 50,000 IU per week for 3 months. My D level shot up to over 70, which was good. Right now I'm at 47 and taking about 5000 IU/day to maintain my level. You will probably need to take extra calcium if you supplement with D.

Yes, my 3rd post today. But reading for me, shared for you  ;)

Les Lang
Nov 2007

Individuals who take vitamin D supplements appear to have a lower risk of death from any cause over an average follow-up time of 6 years, according to a meta-analysis of 18 previously published studies in the September 10, 2007, issue of Archives of Internal Medicine.

Past studies have suggested that deficiencies in vitamin D might be associated with a higher risk of death from cancer, heart disease, and diabetes-illnesses that account for 60%-70% of deaths in high-income nations, according to background information in the article. "If the associations made between vitamin D and these conditions were consistent, then interventions effectively strengthening vitamin D status should result in reduced total mortality," the authors write.

Dr Philippe Autier, of the International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France, and Dr Sara Gandini, of the European Institute of Oncology, Milano, Italy, searched for randomized controlled trials of vitamin D supplements published before November 2006. They analyzed 18 separate trials that included 57,311 participants and evaluated doses of vitamin D ranging from 300-2000 IU, with an average dose of 528 IU. Most commercially available supplements contain between 400 and 600 IU.

Over an average follow-up period of 5.7 years, 4777 participants died. Individuals who took vitamin D had a 7% lower risk of death than those who did not. In the 9 trials that collected blood samples, those who took supplements had an average 1.4- to 5.2-fold higher blood level of vitamin D than those who did not.

"Mechanisms by which vitamin D supplementation would decrease all-cause mortality are not clear," the authors write. Vitamin D could inhibit some mechanisms by which cancer cells proliferate, or it may boost the function of blood vessels or the immune system, they note. "In conclusion, the intake of ordinary doses of vitamin D supplements seems to be associated with decreases in total mortality rates," the authors write. "The relationship between baseline vitamin D status, dose of vitamin D supplements and total mortality rates remains to be investigated. Population-based, placebo-controlled randomized trials in people 50 years or older for at least 6 years with total mortality as the main end point should be organized to confirm these findings."

The meta-analysis "adds a new chapter in the accumulating evidence for a beneficial role of vitamin D on health," writes Dr Edward Giovannucci of the Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, in an accompanying editorial. "Research on vitamin D should be continued to clearly elucidate the specific benefits and optimal intakes and levels of vitamin D," Dr Giovannucci continues. "Nonetheless, based on the total body of evidence of health conditions associated with vitamin D deficiency, abetted with the results from this meta-analysis, a more proactive attitude to identify, prevent and treat vitamin D deficiency should be part of standard medical care. From a broader public health perspective, the roles of moderate sun exposure, food fortification with vitamin D and higher-dose vitamin D supplements for adults need to be debated."

For more details, see "Vitamin D supplementation and total mortality: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials," Arch Intern Med 2007;167:1730-1737; 1709-1710.    

Offline jportland

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 03:58:57 am »
This acticle ( unrelated) came out just yesterday... showing that the SUN produces the most vitamin D of any source... It also states in a way how overly crazy people have been about avoiding the sun becuz of skin cancer, when in fact it may be causing them more harm than good in doing so! So... head to the beach people and lay out in the sun cuz it's good for you!!!  8)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080107/hl_nm/cancer_sun_dc
2001 tested neg
8/2002  seroconvert
9/2002 Tested Poz
No Meds
2/2003 302/25% 76K
9/2004 463/23% 14K
8/2005 342/22% 19K
7/2006 381/29% 24K
3/2007 386/34% 34K
3/2008 230/21% 269K
3/2008  Started Meds
7/2008 485/23% VL 140
9/2008 465/24% VL Undetectable
1/2010 581/29% VL Undectectable

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 06:41:04 pm »
Hi,

This acticle ( unrelated) came out just yesterday... showing that the SUN produces the most vitamin D of any source... It also states in a way how overly crazy people have been about avoiding the sun becuz of skin cancer, when in fact it may be causing them more harm than good in doing so! So... head to the beach people and lay out in the sun cuz it's good for you!!!  8)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080107/hl_nm/cancer_sun_dc

It is not crazy. Some of us have very sensitive skin. This is my case. I have over 100 moles on my body. My dermatologist has told me that I should wear SPF 15 even in winter time to prevent skin cancer. My skin only knows two colors - pale white, or bright red, nothing in between. And I know the bright red is not good - that happens when I go in the sun in the summer without sunblock, and it sure hurts like hell. If I use sunblock I just remain pale white.
So for me, the vitamin D supplements are the best option. I have my levels monitored regularly to make sure they are OK. I found the optimal dose to be about 4500 IU per day for me.

Offline puxcca

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 12:21:13 pm »
Hey guys!

Been reading a lot about vitamin d lately - a relative just found out to have MS and we have been investigating a lot about the lack of the vitamin in auto immune diseases. There are a lot of pending studies about its role in the immune system, lately i read an important one by the university of Cambridge about the role of hiperdosis of vitamin d in reversing the lost of myelin (in MS)..

Anyway, to cut it short: i read somewhere here that you should take calcium with vitamin d. Donīt do it! Especially if you are taking higher doses - higher than 10.000 IU at least.

High dosis of vitamin d open up the gate to kidney calcification (can i say this), so your calcium levels really have to be monitored by a doctor if your are taking more than 10.000 IU.

They usually restrict the consumption of dairy (because of calcium) and give you around 400 mg of magnesium citrate. But you really should talk to a doctor if you take more than 10.000 IU!

Good luck guys!

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 01:29:55 am »
Hi Puxcca,

This is a zombie thread as its from 2008 so nearly a decade ago, as such I will lock it.
Also we ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide.

In general calcium and vitamin D intake is recommended for some people just like myself and can be done at safe levels. If your unsure if you need supplements talk to your doctor.  http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/vitamin-d-deficiency

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.