Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 11:05:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773166
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 286
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 240
Total: 240

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Recipes with BEANS? Please share!  (Read 3831 times)

Offline terrymoore

Recipes with BEANS? Please share!
« on: June 04, 2017, 12:12:35 am »
Hi there, I figure this a great way to get recipes from around the world. I am looking for recipes which have BEANS as the main ingredient. I am trying to find a healthy alternative for my dinners/lunch. I am a huge fan of "rice and beans". My cholesterol is a huge fan too! ;D
So, if any of you have a good recipe, please kindly share. Looking for variety from all the continents if possible. Oh, and i LOVE spicy foods so no worries there.
Thanks!

Offline paintedroom

• Dx`d July 2016
Re: Recipes with BEANS? Please share!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 03:33:03 am »
While i havent tried anything yet i have been reading about vegetarianism -"The Happy Pair" .. which has many recipes with beans.It all looks absolutely delicious -
https://thehappypear.ie/recipe/
I want to do something definitive with my health and vegetarianism comes so highly recommended,i guess it just takes a level of organisation.
Dx`d mid July 2016
8/8/2016 - CD4 50     VL 50,000
5/9/2016 -  CD4 150
13/9/2016  VL  undetectable.
March `17 - CD4 193   VL undetectable.
March  `18 CD4 214    VL undetectable
March 2019 CD4 325  VL UD
Genvoya - Changed to Biktarvy feb 2021

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 09:15:00 am »
Hey Terry, Are you looking for vegetarian recipes ?

If not, white bean and collard stew with chicken. You can also use turkey sausage, or any other greens but collards are the best.

Black bean salad with different peppers, onions, vinegar and sugar.

Chilli !  I use red and white kidney beans, and really spice it up. I prefer beef, but you can use any meat that's available

Garbanzo beans can be whipped into hummus with any spices you like for a healthy snack or lunch.

I eat lots of beans and all different kinds :)
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 09:42:09 am »

I have a few recipes, but I cheat and use canned beans.  I know fanciers of beans frown on such behavior.  I love Cuban style black beans and white rice, and  I really like the Jamaican version called rice and peas.  It uses red kidney beans and here is a recipe I've used and liked:

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups dried red kidney beans, soaked overnight and drained
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
3 green onions, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
1 Scotch bonnet pepper, chopped
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 1/2 cups long grain rice
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions:

Place beans and garlic in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a simmer and cook until the beans are tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. When the beans are tender, stir in the coconut milk, green onions, Scotch bonnet, and thyme, and increase the heat to a boil. Stir in the rice, add some salt and pepper, cover the pot, and cook until the rice is tender and has absorbed most of the liquid. Transfer to a large serving bowl, taste for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if needed, and garnish with sliced green onions.

Recipe from Bobby Flay.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 12:07:41 pm »
Thanks guys!
@WADE - can you send the recipe for the white bean and collard stew with chicken. I do not think i can get collards here in Bangkok (actually i have no idea what they are, but i have heard of them in movies etc), can i use something else? Spinach etc? Can you please send the recipe? I already have a chili that my wife makes - it`s pretty awesome.
@skeebo1969 - thanks! i will try it and let you know. Sounds good!

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 12:36:05 pm »
Hi Terry , it's easy.
I use chicken thighs or legs, brown them with a large chopped onion and garlic
( careful not to burn the garlic it will make it bitter )add about 2 cups of water and let it cook down till chicken is done. You should have only about a cup of water left.
season with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper

You can substitute spinach but canned collards work also if you can find them.
bone the chicken and add spinach/collards, and several cans of white kidney beans back to the broth.   I use lots of beans and they will thicken the stew.
That's It !  Easy and cheap :)
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 01:24:45 pm »
@wade thanks! SOunds delish. I guess this is what they call "southern" cooking?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 03:52:44 pm »
I use vegetable stock or chicken broth instead of water when I make beans. I like to throw some fresh greens and spinach right before the beans are done to keep them full of flavor.
It’s not the best for cholesterol but fat back or a hamhock almost always ends up in my beans. The kids in my family will only eat beans if I make them. You can also use the broth for simple green beans with red potatoes. 

I like my beans served over cornbread so I thicken my broth with cornstarch before serving.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 04:20:18 pm »
I've been make this since I was a teen. Ancient hippy recipe.  I suppose mine has strayed from the original recipe, as I haven't looked at it in decades.  I would say all the "optionals" are best to include!

https://www.popsugar.com/Mollie-Katzen-Moosewood-Brazilian-Black-Bean-Soup-2518436
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 06:44:14 pm »
I use vegetable stock or chicken broth instead of water when I make beans. I like to throw some fresh greens and spinach right before the beans are done to keep them full of flavor.
It’s not the best for cholesterol but fat back or a hamhock almost always ends up in my beans. The kids in my family will only eat beans if I make them. You can also use the broth for simple green beans with red potatoes. 

I like my beans served over cornbread so I thicken my broth with cornstarch before serving.

I love to make black eye peas and smother  corn bread with it...  Yum!
I've been make this since I was a teen. Ancient hippy recipe.  I suppose mine has strayed from the original recipe, as I haven't looked at it in decades.  I would say all the "optionals" are best to include!

https://www.popsugar.com/Mollie-Katzen-Moosewood-Brazilian-Black-Bean-Soup-2518436

I am definitely going to try this.

I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 10:39:03 pm »
@Mecch - thanks! I will try it too! Exactly what i am looking for!
@WADE - bro, my entire point of eating the beans is to reduce my cholesterol and eat healthy so i*ll stay away from adding the fat hahahahaha - but ya, where i grew up, breakfast always had baked pork and beans in molasses or maple syrop and it was AWESOME! Also, once while visiting Brasil, i had their very local dish called Feijoada - a pork sausage and bean stew. Sheer heaven IMHO. Seems you are less concerned so i am sure you will try it out. Let me know how it goes  :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feijoada.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 07:53:14 am »
I don't eat that either, on a diet myself these days :o
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 09:50:54 pm »
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/13006/spicy-slow-cooker-black-bean-soup/

Read through some of the reviews from those that have made this.  I use three cups of uncooked dry black beans and six cups chicken broth made using Wyler's cubes.  I add a can of diced tomatoes w/green chiles, a diced green pepper, a diced white onion, bay leaves and salt.  I bump up the amount of spices a bit as well.  Be wary of how much cayenne pepper you use.

I pressure cook the beans for about 20 minutes in just the chicken broth (made using Wylers; be sure to pressure cook using only the chicken broth), then add the rest of the ingredients and slow cook for 10 - 12 hours.  Don't overcook it.  It should be soupy; otherwise, you'll mute the spices.  If you do overcook it, add water to make it soupy.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 09:54:15 pm by MitchMiller »

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2017, 10:18:25 pm »
@MitchMiller- looks awesome and right up my alley! I have a feeling my wife will hate you for this hahahaha ;D

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.