Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:23:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 605
Total: 605

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Activism in Broward county  (Read 10311 times)

Offline ieshiahiv

Activism in Broward county
« on: June 05, 2014, 09:32:27 pm »
I'm not seeing much being done in Broward county, although I have been informed we are number one for new hiv infections. I know a lot of you may advocate or know someone who does.

I advocate from my social sites and blog but how do I get into schools? What are other ways I can go about being heard? Our county and city officials aren't doing much. I'm 24 and I know my voice could help.

Any suggestions?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Activism in Broward county
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 09:43:34 pm »
I'm not seeing much being done in Broward county, although I have been informed we are number one for new hiv infections. I know a lot of you may advocate or know someone who does.

I advocate from my social sites and blog but how do I get into schools? What are other ways I can go about being heard? Our county and city officials aren't doing much. I'm 24 and I know my voice could help.

Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum . How about doing a little introduction and tell us about yourself . How long have you been living with HIV ?
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 09:58:42 pm »
1) check with your local ASO - which probably already has prevention programs in the local high schools.

2) check with the state health department (for an HIV Planning Council) which determines the prevention strategies for your state.

3) check for a state wide task force that has prevention as one of its goals.

4) check with Planned Parenthood, or some other agency, tackling pregnancy, STDs, and HIV prevention.

You yourself won't be able to get into the schools unless you have a contact through a supervisor or principal. I mean, people have to be vetted to speak to underage minors.

I would also say that you are probably doing a disservice to the people in your county and city who have been struggling for years putting out an anti-HIV prevention message in your area. I'm sure once you contact some of the agencies I mentioned you'll see that your local officials have been spoken to frequently and that there is some sort of HIV prevention message being put out in your area. I totally agree though that your voice could help. The fact that you haven't gone to these agencies or heard their messages shows that there is a lot of work to do and you could be a big part of doing that work.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline zach

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 10:17:39 pm »
i would think ft lauderdale would have an active aso, maybe i'm wrong. i lived in some inland counties down there have decent care

Offline ieshiahiv

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 01:35:44 pm »
1) check with your local ASO - which probably already has prevention programs in the local high schools.

2) check with the state health department (for an HIV Planning Council) which determines the prevention strategies for your state.

3) check for a state wide task force that has prevention as one of its goals.

4) check with Planned Parenthood, or some other agency, tackling pregnancy, STDs, and HIV prevention.

You yourself won't be able to get into the schools unless you have a contact through a supervisor or principal. I mean, people have to be vetted to speak to underage minors.

I would also say that you are probably doing a disservice to the people in your county and city who have been struggling for years putting out an anti-HIV prevention message in your area. I'm sure once you contact some of the agencies I mentioned you'll see that your local officials have been spoken to frequently and that there is some sort of HIV prevention message being put out in your area. I totally agree though that your voice could help. The fact that you haven't gone to these agencies or heard their messages shows that there is a lot of work to do and you could be a big part of doing that work.

Please do not confuse my willingness to help with a blatant oversight of those before me. I am 24 years young and I was born HIV positive. In Broward county a reputation is more important than a life. I was informed that we are number one in the Nation for reported new infections and yet I go throughout this county and I see no events, I hear nothing on the radio. I have contacts with our planning council and have set in meetings, and majority are monthly. I have recently started to advocate two months ago. It's sad to see my peers with no regard for themselves and others, downloading obviously fake testing results to the trained eye. I definitely only want to help because this is a county full of ignorance. I know the youth, I see them and speak to them. Their ignorance is the reason I am speaking up! I only wish to help!

Offline ieshiahiv

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 01:41:54 pm »
Welcome to the forum . How about doing a little introduction and tell us about yourself . How long have you been living with HIV ?

I am 24 years young and I was born HIV+. I have dealt with the hatred, the ignorance and the ugliness that I was subjected to by my peers and even family and friends. That has since died and I have been somewhat accepted back into society over the course of five years. Just when I was warming up to everyone, lying, trying to fight this "rumor", my heart is now forcing me to come clean about my own status. In Broward county, to say you are HIV+ is a sentence to be cast out and ridiculed. I am facing my fears and helping those who don't care to hear it or even be associated with this disease. We need Help here in Broward county, badly. I have decided to come out because I know other positive individuals who are knowingly having sex and withholding their status and most unprotected. I want to help end the stigma, here and everywhere! I no longer care about myself, this is more than me.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 02:08:41 pm »
Broward County includes Ft Lauderdale, right? I might be on the other side of the world but from what I can tell the place is absolutely leaking fags.

So, in my humble 'pinion, the OP needs to chill the fuck out.

As much as I hate to say it Leatherman has the biscuit on this one. Re-read his post. Stop whining in cyberspace and try doing something in meatspace.

You never know, you might actually achieve something for once in your life.

MtD

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 03:16:50 pm »
Ieshiahiv,

Let me start with your reporting Matty's post for the use of the word "fag".  While it may not be the best choice of wording, it can refer to many types of gays and as such, it's not considered offensive, when used in a general sense.

Now, about Fort. Lauderdale.  We are talking about Broward Country in Florida, where I lived for 15 years and those folks have more messages and prevention programs than they know what to do with them.  Have you been to the Gay and Lesbian Community Center and Stonewall Library?  It's a great place to start to see where you can help.

I also don't understand your position that to be poz in Broward is to be cast out and ridiculed, when the are has some of the highest poz concentration in the States.  While you may have experienced such treatment from your own family and friends, I can assure you that there are many organizations that will support you in whatever you want to do.

I also caution you about using your past experience, in assuming that the people you meet are just the same, in shaming as your family and friends, because they are not.  There is so much acceptance to be had in that area and once you get out and meet the people who actually live there, I believe you will be pleasantly surprised.

Please do not confuse my willingness to help with a blatant oversight of those before me. I am 24 years young and I was born HIV positive. In Broward county a reputation is more important than a life. I was informed that we are number one in the Nation for reported new infections and yet I go throughout this county and I see no events, I hear nothing on the radio. I have contacts with our planning council and have set in meetings, and majority are monthly. I have recently started to advocate two months ago. It's sad to see my peers with no regard for themselves and others, downloading obviously fake testing results to the trained eye. I definitely only want to help because this is a county full of ignorance. I know the youth, I see them and speak to them. Their ignorance is the reason I am speaking up! I only wish to help!

One other idea is to get that chip off your shoulder and stop thinking that you are the morality police and that you understand all about Broward County and its HIV needs.  It's a very diverse community and you have no idea what is being done to stem the illness.

What will not stop the illness is you going around telling others about their ignorance, because you have some unresolved issues with how you have been treated.  I suggest you tread very lightly.  If you come off to these organizations, as just another angry poz person, you will not get very far, as anger solves nothing.

Personally, I think your time would be much better spent, resolving your own personal issues, before taking on anything new.

Joe

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 03:37:39 pm »
Ieshiahiv,

Let me start with your reporting Matty's post for the use of the word "fag".  While it may not be the best choice of wording, it can refer to many types of gays and as such, it's not considered offensive, when used in a general sense.

Now, about Fort. Lauderdale.  We are talking about Broward Country in Florida, where I lived for 15 years and those folks have more messages and prevention programs than they know what to do with them.  Have you been to the Gay and Lesbian Community Center and Stonewall Library?  It's a great place to start to see where you can help.

I also don't understand your position that to be poz in Broward is to be cast out and ridiculed, when the are has some of the highest poz concentration in the States.  While you may have experienced such treatment from your own family and friends, I can assure you that there are many organizations that will support you in whatever you want to do.

I also caution you about using your past experience, in assuming that the people you meet are just the same, in shaming as your family and friends, because they are not.  There is so much acceptance to be had in that area and once you get out and meet the people who actually live there, I believe you will be pleasantly surprised.

One other idea is to get that chip off your shoulder and stop thinking that you are the morality police and that you understand all about Broward County and its HIV needs.  It's a very diverse community and you have no idea what is being done to stem the illness.

What will not stop the illness is you going around telling others about their ignorance, because you have some unresolved issues with how you have been treated.  I suggest you tread very lightly.  If you come off to these organizations, as just another angry poz person, you will not get very far, as anger solves nothing.

Personally, I think your time would be much better spent, resolving your own personal issues, before taking on anything new.

Joe

MtD

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 06:15:04 pm »
I have been out as gay and HIV positive since 1985 ... there is still a long way to go in our fight against stigma so good for you if you choose to come out with your HIV status . Those of us that did it 30 years ago paid a price but thankfully the toll is a little less steep these days .

You can join and ASO or local Aids outreach and volunteer your time if you want to do something for people living with HIV . I have found that being open about my status has given me opportunity's to educate people about HIV in a personal one on one way . You do not have to be an activist to make a meaningful difference in a persons life . You can start first by volunteering ... that way you can actually give of your self and your time, later on you can tell the world you are living with HIV and helping others do the same if its right for you .

There are established organizations in your area that will be happy to have you give them a hand ... you can find them on Google, so get some phone numbers and make some calls . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline ieshiahiv

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 01:01:41 pm »
Thank you all for your contributions, I will be sure not to post here again because clearly you all are more interested in belittling than just providing helpful information. For the useful pieces I did gather, thank you. I just really wanted to know if anyone had any other avenues of advocating that could be useful. I am not angry, I am baffled at how that would even be concluded because I would like to help. Obviously you can relate to a more positive avenue! Unfortunately, the young and the black are totally different and I was looking for other ways I could reach those individuals and possibly how I could go about doing so.

Sorry if I offended anyone hard at work advocating for hiv/aids because that was not my intentions.

Have a blessed one you all :-)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 01:18:30 pm »
Thank you all for your contributions, I will be sure not to post here again because clearly you all are more interested in belittling than just providing helpful information. For the useful pieces I did gather, thank you. I just really wanted to know if anyone had any other avenues of advocating that could be useful. I am not angry, I am baffled at how that would even be concluded because I would like to help. Obviously you can relate to a more positive avenue! Unfortunately, the young and the black are totally different and I was looking for other ways I could reach those individuals and possibly how I could go about doing so.

Sorry if I offended anyone hard at work advocating for hiv/aids because that was not my intentions.

Have a blessed one you all :-)

Why this reaction ? . You are more than welcome to stick around and exchange ideas, hope you do in fact  .

Do you not like the suggestion to volunteer ? 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 08:49:13 pm »
downloading obviously fake testing results to the trained eye.
wow. do people really ask to see a piece of paper for a test result before they'll fuck? it seems people would understand that something printed, or even just the reply to the question (are you neg?), are not to be trusted. Nothing but protecting your own self can be trusted.

There's you a teaching/advocacy venue. Teach people not to ask for a test result, verbal or printed. simply believe that anyone could be infected with anything infectious and then take precautions to not get anything. But i guess since we can't get little girls to believe they might get pregnant it's no wonder we can't keep little gay boys from thinking they can't get HIV.  :(
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline ieshiahiv

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 09:06:21 pm »
Why this reaction ? . You are more than welcome to stick around and exchange ideas, hope you do in fact  .

Do you not like the suggestion to volunteer ?

I have already started to volunteer and speak to the youth. So that was a great idea! I love helping the youth and when I inform them of my status they always are so shocked. I've even be told, "I'm too pretty!" Countless times and I love that. I love for them to see that even a pretty face can be infected, looks do not say if a person have or does not have the virus or disease.

I choose to limit my interactions here because of certain responses and assumptions that are being directed to me and I don't feel they were helpful and a little hurtful. I don't want to step on any toes so I'll be sure to be more thoughtful should I choose to post in the future.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 09:20:10 pm »
You can continue to count on receiving multiple views and opinions . Its a good thing to have our views challenged and discussed because it allows us to broaden our horizons . 

Don't take it so personal ... thats just the way a message board works .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 12:03:15 pm »
Hi Ieshiahiv,

Hope you get this message.. I read your post and just wanted to thank you for trying to be a part of a solution to the problems here in Broward county.. I live in Broward and am newly diagnosed as of late January and wish I would have tested sooner but that wasn't the case.. Wound up in the hospital with aids, so I think what your trying to do is a wonderful thing.. I did find that there is groups in our area that also have participated in Aidswalk in fort lauderdale cause I was there and was impressed.. But you are right, the info is not reaching young people as it should especially minorities.. Here is a link to some groups who may help you with your quest.. 

https://www.broward.org/HumanServices/CommunityPartnerships/RyanWhiteProgram/Pages/SupportGroups.aspx

And I believe this group would appreciate your help www.mountolivemodco.org

I hope this helps, sincerely Frank

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.