Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:43:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 520
Total: 521

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: John Hopkins Moore Clinic Is A RIP OFF!!!  (Read 11889 times)

Offline FiercenBed

John Hopkins Moore Clinic Is A RIP OFF!!!
« on: April 03, 2007, 12:42:55 pm »
before everyone goes off the deep end over my smudging the supposed fine reputation of Johns Hopkins read my story.....

in september my hiv doc wanted me to see a dermatologist over two serious conditions. with him being in a different city i decided to tap on the computer and find an hiv dermatologist. there arnt many. low and behold johns hopkins moore clinic has a dermatologist specializing in hiv conditions. i called the appointment number and specifically said what my problem was.  I was told you cant see the dermatologist until you are evaluated by another doc. okay what ever; i make an appointment. earliest they can see me is november.

so i march myself down to this city within a city find the clinic on time fill the paper work out and wait an hour 1/2/ past the appointment time. once again; whatever. so they call my name take my blood pressure and temp. place me in a teny tiny room and this very young woman comes in. i ask her if she is an attending <a doc in training> or a fellow. shes an attending. oh great now im a doctors training dup.

she ask about when i was diagnosed, current vl cd4 meds all that gobble gook. while this is going we are constantly interrupted because shes the only person who can speak spanish and they need a translator<place is a free for all>. i clearly tell her i need to see the dermatologist. she looks at both problems and sez yep u need a dermatologist. problem is no appointment till february. i asked for some medication and she said no wait for the dermatologist. here i think iv got cancer and they want me to wait 3 months 2 c a doc. so i schedule the apt and chill till feb.

okay herez where the RIP OFF comes in. i get the explanation of benefits from insurance company they billed for $365.00 for the apt. jesus christ my very first doc billed $110 <excluding lab fees> to diagnosis hiv do the initial cd4 & vl and write the first script for meds. so i pay the bill shy of $200 w/ copay and deductible. end there right....wrong.

so feb finally comes get to see the dermatologist and he tells me since i had insurance i didnt need to do the evaluation. i could have seen him in his outpatient clinic. great i wasted $365.00.

gets better.... so the other day a nasty woman from a collection called and sez i have a $365 bill in collections from hopkins. im like no no no. i paid that bill. she states she sez that payment but therez another bill for $365. i ask her who to call and she dosnt know. so i call the clinic and they give me billing.

well i get the most arrogant nasty rude man, mr. brown, on the phone. he states the other bill is for 'hospital services' $365.  huh? thatz the bill for use of the hospital. i ask whatz the diagnosis code for that. he stated id have to call medical records. when i stated i had issues with this. he snapped id have to call patient services <contradiction of words>. iv placed 2 calls w/ no return call! basically there billing like it was an emergency room visit.

so at the end of the day John Hopkins is billing $725.00 for ONE doctors visit that I did not even have to have. i didnt even see a 'real' doc, no blood work, no script, no nothing!. there fricking me over >:(

so if you have the misfortune of going to hopkins be sure to ask the idiots exactly what the visit is gonna cost or theyll frick you over to.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: John Hopkins Moore Clinic Is A RIP OFF!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 06:06:46 pm »

It's too bad that  had to happen to you. We live and learn... We chalk it up to experience, and try to prevent these things from happenning in the future . Keep receipts !! Ask for detailed print-outs after procedures are done. This will usually give the codes and the charges.

Dermatologist are very expensive. Every time I go, My insurance is charged at least 600.00, per visit, for things that I need to have done. I am seldom in there for more then 20 minutes. My C0-pay is 50.00

Unfoortunately, I also have to  go at least three times a year.

Ray 
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline FiercenBed

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 06:16:33 pm »
thanx for the reply ray.......@ least i got one.

this isnt live and learn. this isnt my first time @ the rodeo. i work w/ docs; unfortunately. i know procedures, cpt codes, level I, II, III visits all that stuff. this is a clear, specific case of thievery! okay iv got hiv....bummer. but everybody from doctors, insurance companies, lab corporation, big pharm all got their hands in my pockets.

i finally heard from patient services @ hopkins. the woman sez, "so how much do you think you should pay"? that tells me right there they acknowledge overcharging. itz being reviewed by a board. great.

im involved in a level II appeal right now w/ blue cross & blue shield of north carolina for a resistance test after a virologic failure diagnosis. health & human services guidelines sez get a resistance test. i got a resistance test. their ' corporate medical policy' sez they pay for a resistance test.....but they wont pay for a test that 'involves comparison to a data base'. what the hell is a resistance test then?  'itz investigational'. itza $700 test!

between the 2 ordeals thatz $1,400 and iv got insurance. something is wrong here >:(

i cant b the only one w/ all these problems? anyone else, please post it here.....thanx.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 06:19:44 pm by FiercenBed »

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 06:23:40 pm »
Milker sez: "itz hard to read"

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline FiercenBed

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 01:35:04 pm »
note to self:> milestone first time i type, "iv got hiv" in a post.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 09:43:32 pm by FiercenBed »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 06:29:38 am »
thanx for the reply ray.......@ least i got one.

im involved in a level II appeal right now w/ blue cross & blue shield of north carolina for a resistance test after a virologic failure diagnosis. health & human services guidelines sez get a resistance test. i got a resistance test. their ' corporate medical policy' sez they pay for a resistance test.....but they wont pay for a test that 'involves comparison to a data base'. what the hell is a resistance test then?  'itz investigational'. itza $700 test!

between the 2 ordeals thatz $1,400 and iv got insurance. something is wrong here >:(

i cant b the only one w/ all these problems? anyone else, please post it here.....thanx.

I wish you the best with that appeal. and you are right, resistance test are part of the health and human services guidelines. I haven't had any resistance test done yet. I was just reading something the other day about this. Continue fighting this.

It was showing the pheno test as costing around $800.00.

Good luck with that. keep us updated

Take care of yourself---------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.