Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:11:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773176
  • Total Topics: 66333
  • Online Today: 335
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 302
Total: 306

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Urinalysis = Protein 1+????  (Read 26292 times)

Offline pozzitive

• LOVE heals everything!
Urinalysis = Protein 1+????
« on: November 17, 2011, 08:25:55 pm »
I just got my lab results today and everything looks great, sugar, good cholesterol, bad cholesterol, my CD count went up after I started taking Viramune RX, I mean the whole thing looks good. The protein in Urine showed a 1+, which my doctor did not seem to be alarmed about, he just asked me to drink more water.

I do take a protein shake everyday (25g) and if I work out I take another 25g. The night before my blood test I had a shake before I went to bed. Do you guys think that might be the cause?

I just tend to be a little alarmed when something weird comes up in my blood tests.

I was very stressed that week as well.

Wondering if anyone has experienced that...?

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 08:54:01 pm by pozzitive »
POZ since 2000 • On Genvoya

"I can be changed by what happens to me. but I refuse to be reduced by it.”

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: Urinalysis = Protein 1+????
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 09:47:52 pm »
Had you just worked out prior to giving the urine sample?  That is just one of many innocuous reasons you could see a 1+ protein in your UA.  If that is the only thing out of the ordinary in your UA, I wouldn't stress about it.
Oh -- I have performed, literally, thousands of urinalysis exams (though not for the last 12 years or so) -- so I'm not just trying to "make you feel better" -- I'm speaking from experience.

In general, if you have a single "abnormal" lab result and your doc isn't alarmed, you probably needn't be either.

Mike

Offline pozzitive

• LOVE heals everything!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 02:50:14 am »
Mike,

Thanks, I worked out the night before and I had a deep tissue masage as well. I drink protein on a daily basis, the night prir to mt blood draw I had a huge shake begore going to bed.
We are going to keep tracking but because my doc easnt alarec at all I am not too freaked out although I wonder if I should stop my mrning shakes.
Thanks for your reply, sometimes when I post a question here and I dont get  any replies I almost feel  like my question was dumb?

Cheers

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 02:33:24 am »
Thanks for your reply, sometimes when I post a question here and I dont get  any replies I almost feel  like my question was dumb?

Cheers

It is probably that many didn't know how to answer your question, so they left it to those with way more knowledge and not that your question was dumb.  I'm still learning about all these tests, what's normal, what's not, etc, etc.   

Offline buginme2

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 11:58:39 am »
I doubt the protein shakes had anything to do with it (just dont overdue the protein shakes).  Truvada can cause Kidney probles in a small number of patients.  You should be having regular creatinine tests and an eGFR from your blood work.  Most likely these were normal so your doctor prob wasnt that concerned about the increases protein.

Keep an eye out on it.  Drink lots of water.   

As far as the protein shakes go.  Ask your doctor about it.  If your kidneys are becoming stressed you may want to cut down on them.  Too much protein can stress your kidneys and liver.  However, getting enough protein is important if your HIV positive.  Its a balancing act.  Make sure you tell your doctor.  Good luck!
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 11:44:20 pm »
Since we're talking about this issue, and I hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question.  What's the deal with foamy/bubbly urine?  I read a lot of questions to docs where they are concerned about foamy urine and that possibly an indicator of protein in the urine.  I get the foam, myself, quite a bit actually.  It will foam up while going and then dissipates.  If the stream hits the side of the bowl or back of a urinal, no foam.  So, I think it is a flow/air issue when hitting the water.  From what I've read, a strong flow can cause this due to so much air being created.   

Anyway, just curious, because I see this question frequently.  I know blood labs for kidney or liver function may be saying all is fine, when there is something going on.  Is the eGFR they give ya on the CBC report a good indicator, or do you need an actual urinalysis to be sure? 

Offline buginme2

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 10:40:37 am »
Ted I had the same question. 

Foamy urine can be a sign of increased protein in your urine.  However, there are a lot of things that can cause it to happen as well.  One of them is Atripla.  When I started Atripla  it became very foamy for me.  I was so concerned I brought it up with the doctor.  He stated its a common issue with Atripla (im not sure about other meds) and that he watches closely the blood creatinine levels and eGFR.

From my understanding the best measure of kidney function is the eGFR. 

Wheres Newt? He would know!!
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline pozzitive

• LOVE heals everything!
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 01:07:03 pm »
Thnaks guys.

This is all good info, since everything else is good and the level of protein is very low I will just take it easy, keep an eye and try not to stress about it.

Stress is a shitty thing for us.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 06:26:20 pm »
Everyone please step back from the edge here......  I have never heard anyone worry about foamy urine before.  It certainly isn't anything they teach you in any Urinalysis lab.  Doesn't mean that it couldn't indicate something, but then, if you are getting regular labs done -- who cares about the foam.

I would not be running to get a protein test every time my urine was foamy.  One has to maintain perspective here. 
Lots of things COULD indicate lots of issues -- but lots of things USUALLY indicate nothing at all.  If you are seeing your doctor regularly, don't sweat the little things.  If you spend all your time worrying about the minutiae, you really aren't living your life, now are you.

Mike

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 10:57:42 pm »

Bocker, what if I piss shaving cream? 
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 07:34:57 am »

Bocker, what if I piss shaving cream? 

Then I would say your assimilation into Boston is complete!

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 08:32:28 am »
Trust me when I say you will know if you have a urine or kidney infection. The tell tell signs being
1) a constant desire to pee.

2) a sensation akin to barbed wire being pulled through the end off your penis when you pee.

3) Dull constant throbbing pain in lower back

4) Sharp stabbing pains in lower back,

Fortunately there are a range off drugs available to treat the problems all off which need to be taken with 3 plus litres off water / liquid a day.

yours in experience
mhtv
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.