Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:26:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773300
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 680
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 642
Total: 642

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Short-Cycle Therapy (5 days on/2 days off  (Read 6264 times)

Offline testii28

Short-Cycle Therapy (5 days on/2 days off
« on: September 13, 2022, 02:13:37 pm »
Hello,

it has been a while that I didn't post anything.
I have been on therapy for about 3 months (Biktarvy).
VL: 57  CD4 approx. 500-600
My kidney values have dropped significantly.
GFR: 73 Creatinine :1,20

My doctor refused to change the therapy. There are not much alternatives (doctors) here where I am living. I think this TAF stuff inside Biktarvy cause the kidney issue.

Does anybody has experience with Short-Cycle Therapy (5 days on/2 days off).
Is it worth a try?
https://academic.oup.com/jac/article-abstract/77/3/747/6445130?redirectedFrom=fulltext

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IrqHsak_7M

Thanks for your support.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Short-Cycle Therapy (5 days on/2 days off
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 03:05:34 pm »
GFR: 73 Creatinine :1,20

It sounds okayish, at least if it were my results within 3 months I would not be too worried myself, I would drink more and monitor this but give it all some time to settle.

My doctor refused to change the therapy.

I am interested if you don't mind sharing; when you say the doctor refused, did they give a reason or context for it?

Does anybody has experience with Short-Cycle Therapy (5 days on/2 days off).
Is it worth a try?

Well, the link is for the rilpivirine combination four days on/three days off therapy. Are you considering this, and do you have access to these meds? I would urge caution given the extremely small sample size.

There are a couple of threads that may help get some background info on other FOTO (Five-On, Two-Off) or short schedules, as the concept isn't new, with some good results and mixed results.

Can HIV Treatment Be Taken Just 4 Days a Week?
https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=75216.msg

French study only taking ART 4 days a week
http://i-base.info/htb/36517

FOTO: https://www.poz.com/article/hiv-efavirenz-intermittent-16959-8019

Thread:
Every Other Day: https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=72189.msg

Thread: Newer HIV Regimens May Require Less Strict Adherence
https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=73003.0

Thread: Fours days a week
https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=72799.msg
https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=75216.msg

My doctor refused to change the therapy.

Have you looked into what other "mainstream" (approved) treatment options are available in your region? 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 03:19:29 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline testii28

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 01:35:13 am »
Thanks for this great information's. The doctor didn't give any reason he just said NO and I had to leave. He gave me the feeling that I should be happy to be alive and get treated. >:(
I just want to get rid off this TAF stuff. Dovato, Juluca, and Triumeq is here not available. It is important for me that my therapy includes an Integrase-inhibitor.

Jim, do you think it is a good idea to continue Biktarvy for the next 3 months until my VL is hopefully fully suppressed  and switching then to 5 days on/2 days off? Worth a try? As far as i read in the links you have given developing resistance should not be an issue.

This kidney thing makes me worry because I also have slight pain and I urinate more than usual.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 01:47:45 am by testii28 »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2022, 04:49:51 am »
Jim, do you think it is a good idea to continue Biktarvy for the next 3 months until my VL is hopefully fully suppressed  and switching then to 5 days on/2 days off? Worth a try? As far as i read in the links you have given developing resistance should not be an issue.

This kidney thing makes me worry because I also have slight pain and I urinate more than usual.

Look, I'm not even sure why you want to do FOTO, doesn't even matter, as for what I think, nobody cares but, no, I would not recommend anyone start FOTO schedule on their own and certainly not with Biktarvy.

You mention there are not many treatment options where you are, I don't know what is available in your region, I would need to check. But if true and it was me, I would be even more hesitant to mess about.

If it were me, I would see what the kidney function is next time round, and if it's similar levels or improved by then, as you are still settling into treatment; happy days. If it gets dramatically worse, I would have another discussion with the doctor about what alternative treatments are available and to check if there are no underlying conditions.

But that's just me, it's your life, choice and HIV treatment.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 05:05:33 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2022, 04:58:56 am »
I also have slight pain and I urinate more than usual.

Sorry to hear about the pain, pain when pissing? Might be worth seeing a regular GP
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline testii28

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2022, 05:33:43 am »
I will do as you said. If similar or improved levels I will continue normal,  if rapidly getting worse I will leave to my home country for a few weeks and getting appropriate treatment. I think I still have enough time hopefully.

Thanks Jim
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 05:36:29 am by testii28 »

Offline harleymc

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2022, 08:57:42 pm »
TAF has never been shown to put pressure on Kidneys. I'm not sure how you leapt to the conclusion you have

Offline daveR

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2022, 05:27:18 am »
My creatinine levels crept up slowly over a period of 5 years on TDF, the switch to TAF made no difference. The switch to Triumeq also did not bring them down too much. They peaked at 1.3 and after the switch to Triumeq for one year are stable at 1.24. My Dr is not bothered. I searched the internet and found many medical sites saying 1.3 for a man is within range and needs no special treatment. The hospital I use has a scale where 1.18 is the maximum. When the Dr checked my pre HIV history we found readings in the past of 1.2 and one of 1.3. No warnings to me. Back then the upper limit was 1.5. It looks as if the experts moved the goal posts sometime after 2012. My Dr is not concerned as long as I have no protein in the urine.

Not sure of your age but problems urinating can be a sign of prostate issues. This can lead to an increase in creatinine according to my Dr as the urine backs up if the bladder is not fully empty. My prostate is enlarged, I have issues urinating. Would be worth consulting a GP if you are getting older, over 50, they may possibly investigate the prostate.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.