Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:21:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773299
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 680
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 619
Total: 621

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: wishful thinking from a newbie  (Read 6868 times)

Offline curiousfortruth

wishful thinking from a newbie
« on: November 19, 2023, 07:20:54 pm »
Newly diagnosed and on meds. I'm mentally prepared to be on meds for the rest of my life but having wishful thinking...

For those of you have been poz for a while, are you hopeful there will be a cure within your lifetime?

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: wishful thinking from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2023, 08:22:50 pm »
are you hopeful there will be a cure within your lifetime?
You want my honest answer? Nope.

Because I've always followed the science about HIV, ARVs, and potential cures for the 38 yrs I've been living with HIV, I know that finding a cure has actually been very hard for scientists because HIV is a retrovirus. Except for a few times when some of my friends or my two partners were actually dying, I have just never wasted any of my time hoping that a cure was going to appear anytime in the future.

I've been taking ARVs for 30 yrs. While I used to take about 28 pills a day and puked every day, now I've down to 2 pills a day and I'm a lot healthier and more active than most of my 61 yr old peer group. Plus, as an American living with HIV, because I have this disease, I have better healthcare than I would have had otherwise and that's great since I'm expecting to live to at least be the 104 yrs old my grandmother reached.

So, although a cure would be nice (even though that situation would probably leave me with a lot of survivors guilt and PTSD over those I've lost before this "cure" came along), and although I'm only half way through my expected 104 yr old life :), no I have never hoped for a cure in my lifetime and with always improving treatment, I don't expect to start hoping.

Of course, my opinion is a bit jaded since I spent my first 25 yrs of living with HIV dealing with horrible medications and trying not to die. Don't let my coping strategies stop you from hoping if that's what you want to do. Cure strategies really are constantly improving. Just don't let waiting for a cure drag you down or stop you from taking your daily medications. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2023, 04:40:54 am »
For those of you have been poz for a while, are you hopeful there will be a cure within your lifetime?

I'm not expecting a cure within my lifetime.

Don't get me wrong, there has always been and will continue to be some breakthrough technology and novel approach promising a cure around the corner that fails, and we learn a lot from it. As exciting as these things are from a scientific point of view, I never expected any of them to deliver a cure despite the hype from investors, the media or the community over the decades. I don't see it happening within my lifetime, certainly not with the current developments.

Live long enough, and odds are you, like most people, will have several physical or mental conditions that will require a daily pill to manage and keep it in check so that you can continue to live your life. This is a huge advancement in itself compared to how many conditions were treated or not treated as little as 30, 50 or 100 years ago.

Amazingly, (thankfully) HIV is now one of those many conditions that are relatively easy to manage with a pill or two a day. I think the next development phase with real promise is not a cure for HIV or many of these manageable conditions but the continued development of long-lasting dosing of medicines, in the form of injectables, slow-release capsules and subdermal implants.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 04:45:11 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2023, 04:55:45 am »
wishful thinking from a newbie

You are certainly not the first person to be hopeful for a cure, and will not be the last.

It's fine as such; just don't fall into the trap of not taking your meds based on that hopefulness or media/investment promises/hype. I've seen too many people go down that road; it's sad at best, ending in tears and at worst, well, I don't even want to discuss that.

Anyhow, don't let HIV or the hope for a cure consume your life; if you have access to healthcare, then take the pill a day and focus on living your life—plenty of worse things in life than a touch of AIDS.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Loa111

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2023, 05:39:56 am »
Myself, no I am not hopeful for a cure in my lifetime either, which could be another 30 - 40 years if I am lucky, and for the same reasons as stated by Mikie & Jim above.

What I am hopeful of is different treatment which may come in the future, that might be alternatives to taking daily pills.

For example, long acting injectable drugs are available now, I think it is a shot every 2 months, maybe if the scientists can engineer this to last for 3 - 6 months in the future, that would be exciting.

There's studies focusing on under-skin long acting implants too.

Sorry I don't have a reference link handy, but they've been mentioned on here and in POZ Magazine before.

Offline curiousfortruth

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2023, 09:24:13 am »
Thanks for sharing, everyone!

Offline Mightysure

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2023, 05:01:05 pm »
I think it's possible.  I think a functional cure is more likely in my lifetime, but I think the key lies in early detection.

I don't see anything wrong with being hopeful, while remaining realistic about the current science.

I guarantee that 10 years ago people would've said they couldn't fathom a treatment regimen that only doses 6 times per year, but here we are, with Cabenuva changing the game. Only 6 days a year do I have to worry about dosing.

So who knows what some scientist is cooking up 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.