Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:42:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 536
Total: 536

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 2009 SSI Increase  (Read 8105 times)

Offline Oceanbeach

2009 SSI Increase
« on: October 16, 2008, 07:31:02 pm »
I was looking at the paper today and read the 2009 Social Security increase will be 5.6%, the highest increase in 25 years.  In January 2009, I will no longer be able to say, my disability income is under $1000 per month.  I get a $54.00 increase which will take my income over the top.

I remember when I was little, my parents were looking at new houses, I asked if we could get one with a pool.  Apparently, my father made a thousand per month and we did get a pool.  When I was a teen, my parents made a deal.  If we were on the Honor Roll, we could have any car we wanted.  I got a Corvette for my 16th B Day, my father made $2000 per month, my brother also got a Corvette, my sister a Mustang.  That was 41 years ago and $2000.00 per month is chump change  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
Re: 2009 SSI Increase
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 07:43:57 pm »

That's  a  5.8% rise according to COLA (Cost-of-Living Adjustment)

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/COLA/latestCOLA.html
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 08:03:53 pm »
That's  a  5.8% rise according to COLA (Cost-of-Living Adjustment)

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/COLA/latestCOLA.html

maybe the paper or I got the numbers wrong, I am borderline dyslexic but a few extra dollars, I know how to spend that  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline denb45

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 10:55:34 pm »
maybe the paper or I got the numbers wrong, I am borderline dyslexic but a few extra dollars, I know how to spend that  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Yeah me to I'm  (dyslexic), but I'll take the extra 69 dollars a month  ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline ademas

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 01:21:34 am »
$95.89 increase...that's huge for me!

and in more good news, no increase to the Part B premium this year!  It will remain at $96.40.

Offline Gary85741

• Native Virginian living in Tucson AZ
    • Good guy, good heart
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 09:37:23 am »
...and in more good news, no increase to the Part B premium this year!  It will remain at $96.40.

Are you sure about that?  I thought I'd heard some time ago it was going to rise as it always does, but it's a vague recollection.  Hope you're right.

Gary
Poz since '89. 
Current regimen: Rescriptor, Emtriva, Kaletra, Invirase, Acyclovir, Lisinopril, Lipitor, Prilosec, Valium, Testim, Nandrolone, Loperamidr, Marinol.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 11:39:39 am »

Are you sure about that?  I thought I'd heard some time ago it was going to rise as it always does, but it's a vague recollection.  Hope you're right.

Gary

Yes, that's correct according to an article yesterday in the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/washington/AP-Social-Security.html

In another break for most retirees, the cost of living increase will not be eaten up by higher monthly premiums for the part of Medicare that pays for physician services. Because of gains in the Medicare Part B trust fund, that premium will hold steady at $96.40 a month, although higher-income people including couples making more than $170,000 annually will see their premiums increase.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline denb45

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 12:33:06 pm »
Yes, that's correct according to an article yesterday in the New York Times:

Yeah that might be a fact this year, but I can bet next year that the Medicare premiums will go up twice as much.....just to make up the difference  ??? dont'cha just love the way the Federal Govt Operates  ::)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 01:00:10 pm »

the funniest lines I read in that news article:
The upcoming help for the retirees should help the faltering economy as well, assuming they spend much or all of the additional money.

''It gives people a little extra spending power that they can take to the shopping mall,'' said David Wyss, chief economist at Standard & Poor's Corp.

sounds like what they thought with that stimulus check earlier in the year.  ;D All of mine went to pay off the gas/heating bill. I didn't stimulate the economy, I just paid for the stimulation I had already done this past winter. LOL

I just can't see how this increase (mine will increase by about $43) is going to "help the faltering economy" much, especially as the time the increase will first be received will be just as Winter is about to hit it's coldest months. ::) unless they're talking about simultating the Oil biz economy. LOL
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 01:09:40 pm »
On the face of it yes, it sounds stupid to say that these amounts will "help stimulate the economy" but if you look at the a large picture, and the fact that SSI recipients pretty much spend all of their check on goods/services and not savings, then yes the aggregate amount of these increases will have a positive effect during a recession.

Though for me personally this increase is simply all going to my recently increased rent, increased electricity and gas, and of course food.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 02:05:03 pm »
Though for me personally this increase is simply all going to my recently increased rent, increased electricity and gas, and of course food.
that's why I think they do the public a disservice by reporting that this increase can "stimulate/help" the economy. If most of the SS recipients are going to spend this money just to maintain the status quo (that's why it's called a "cost of living increase"; it's not "extra" money to spend into the system) then that only helps the economy stay where it is. It's not a major step to improve the economy really. "Stimulating the economy/helping the faltering economy" sounds like it should be more than just maintaining the status quo.  ;)

If my increased amount is just going pay the gas bill for probably the same amount of heating I used last year (I won't be taking my "extra spending power" to the "shopping mall") and yours is paying for the increase in the same housing and amount of food you ate last year then the only "help" to the economy is that it has stayed stable and not gotten worse.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 07:09:04 pm »
"It gives people a little extra spending power that they can take to the shopping mall"-David Wyss

Thank you Mr. Wyss, now, I can really feel like a loser with a credit card- Sonomabeach  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 12:04:46 am »
I'll believe it when I see my check in January but like many others, it will be going towards a bill I am sure.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline weasel

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 12:31:56 am »
sounds good to me  :)

maybe now I can get high speed internet  :D

or pay off a credit card bill  :'(

karl
" Live and let Live "

Offline bear60

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 09:09:09 am »
Kurt says he is getting 5.8 percent increase.  But the food bills have gone up so he thinks it wont buy more.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.