Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 08:20:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37688
  • Latest: Bruno
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773513
  • Total Topics: 66379
  • Online Today: 342
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 272
Total: 275

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A very busy day today and a health update ,....  (Read 5860 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
A very busy day today and a health update ,....
« on: November 02, 2016, 07:41:12 pm »
Hey everyone,...

Just wanted to give a little annual update as to what's been going on lately.

First of all, it was a great summer.  Ed and I got a lot of activities and exercise in this summer. However, weight is still about 10 pounds too high. We're still swimming, but it may come to an end this weekend, when temps are expected to drop.

Our community swimming pool is heated to 83 degrees.  We may get another day in Friday. When it gets a little too chilly, our daily walks will increase. We're also thinking of joining a gym.

Overall, I've been doing pretty good.   I had a couple of issues though, that I discussed with my primary care about two weeks ago.

I've been noticing an increase in light-headedness, dizzyness, over the past 5- 6 months.  So I brought this to my primary doctors attention, when I had my appointment.

Even though I have not smoked in over 20 years,  the doctor decided to order some tests. I reminded her that prior to quitting, I was a pack and a half day smoker. And I worked in smoke filled, and not so healthy environments, for a good portion of my life. She decided to test for asthma, and COPD.  it's not uncommon as we age, to develop asthma. 

Today I had three different appointments done.

At 11:00 this morning I had a Pulmonary function test done ( PFT). I've never had one of these done before. Lasted about 25 minutes.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthlibrary/test_procedures/pulmonary/pulmonary_function_tests_92,p07759/

The preliminary results of that test showed no problems.  I was told that the lung functions test were good, and I had the lungs of a non-smoker.  So, I was glad to have those results. I treied to get an official copy of the results from Release of information,  but there computers hadn't updated that info yet.

At 12:00 noon,  I had a CT scan done of my lungs.  Those results, are unknown at this time.

At 2:00 this afternoon, I had an echocardiogram done.  This is where the fun begins.

The person performing this test, was a little concerned with what she was seeing.

I reminded her, that I had one of these test done 6 years ago.  She decided to compare the two results. At that point, she called the cardiologist into the room, to visually view the ongoing results of the ECHO...

It seems I have quite a bit more leakage in one of my heart valves. As a result, this may possibly be the reason for the light headness that I am getting, and a periodic shortness of breath.

The cardiologist, asked me to come to her office, as soon as the test was completed.

She decided on doing a TEE,.. " Trans-esophageal echocardiography" I've never had one of these done either.  But apparently, this will give a much better image, when they pass this thing down my throat, to look closer at my heart, and the valves.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthlibrary/test_procedures/cardiovascular/transesophageal_echocardiogram_92,P07986/

Within about 40 minutes, of speaking with her,.. I now have this scheduled for tomorrow ( Thursday) morning at  10:00.

Total time at the VA today with test and discussion was 4 1/2 hours.

So  :P  I now begin fasting tonight at 10:00 pm, and I am to report at Bay Pines VAMC hospital at 8:30 in the morning.

I thought something was going on for a while now, but never thought a leaky valve was causing the issues.

As I get the results of the CT scan, I will let you all know.

She believes my leaky heart valve is "Moderate".  So I think that places me in the middle zone. She also believes that I had this all of my life with no issues, that wonderful thing known as aging, just brings it on.

The joys of aging !   :)

As far as the HIV side of my health, T-cells are at 501,which is the highest it's been since starting treatment in 2003. Still undetectable,..  And I have officially begun my 31st year of living with HIV since I was diagnosed positive in October of 1985.  I will be 65 years young in a month.

So that's it for now.  I blame my valve issues on the stress of this election cycle  D
 ;)

I am also very thankful, that the VA is acting so promptly on this. I was really quite amazed, to have all this done in one day. Ed couldn't believe how smoothly everything went today.

I will post results of the TEE, as they become available, might be a few days or so.

Hope everyone is well, and enjoying life !   ----Ray

« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 07:44:26 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline harleymc

Re: A very busy day today and a health update ,....
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 12:08:47 am »
a leaky heart...
I'm sure I've had a few of those over the years.

Glad to hear that everything else is going great.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 10:14:10 pm »
Not sure if this will work, but this picture was taken about 30 minutes before I had the TEE done today, at Bay Pines VA hospital. Ed snapped it, on his flip phone !  :)

It was about 9:30 this morning.

The procedure went well, I don't remember much of it at all. One minute I was alert, the next minute, I was coming out of anesthesia.

The doctor decided to drop a medication ( Metoprolol) and add another one. I do have moderate leakage in one valve, that will now be monitored. This new medication is supposed to help with the valve leakage issues, but not sure what it's called. It hasn't shown up yet on my medications list. I only have a problem with one valve.

I have a follow up with the cardiologist in 2 weeks 

Take care----Ray

« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 10:16:11 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 11:50:39 pm »
Ray  so  happy  you had the test  and  the  results  so  quickly    does sound like a  sliding scale of  "old"  ..hope whatever the med is  that it helps... 

been having similar  issues  but  havent  had that test yet..will tell  Dr  next time I see him..
hope you both are  enjoying the  "golden years"  ....missed  seeing  you since the last fun trip  ...been a while...
 stay  healthy  so  happy you  got to use that  VA  facility

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 07:19:29 am »
Ray, Glad things went well for you yesterday ,who would have thought we would be in our 60s and having all this old people shit done to us  !!!
Anyway , take care and you guys enjoy the warm weather.

Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 04:15:26 pm »
Thanks Guys !!,

Nick, Thanks, it's good to hear from you. I hope all is going well your way.

The new medication showed up today on my medication list.  It's still pending, as I am sure the cardiologist, is consulting with my primary care and ID doctor.

The med is called AMLODIPINE BESYLATE 5 MG.  When I receive this, it will be taken once a day for blood pressure.

https://www.drugs.com/amlodipine.html

I was reading up on this medication, and it says that it shouldn't be taken with SIMVASTATIN.

I take 40 mg of simvastatin daily, ( And have been for a while),.. which probably explains the hold-up on receiving this drug. The primary will have to remove and replace the Simvastatin with something else. My appt, with my primary care is Nov 28th, unless I get a notification to come in earlier.

As I mentioned earlier, I have two appts. scheduled with the cardiologist on 11/25/16. One is scheduled at 1:30 and the other at 2:30. 

I think one of those appointments may include another stress test. Find out more about that as time goes on. My last stress test was about 14 months ago.

Take care all /  Everything is going well---Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 09:43:42 pm »
Hey Ray,

I'm glad to hear all went well with the tests.

Who knew this getting older thing would be so involved?

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.