Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:51:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 223
Total: 224

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Miss Calif: Gay marriage answer cost me Miss USA crown  (Read 35908 times)

Offline ademas

Re: Miss Calif: Gay marriage answer cost me Miss USA crown
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 09:23:38 pm »
although this would have been fun to see...

Hilton said he would have run onstage and ripped the tiara off Prejean's head had she won the title.

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 10:24:28 pm »
Regarding her answer; "opposite marriage"? What a twit, she could barely form a coherent sentence. I'm glad she lost. The United States should not be represented by someone hateful in any venue, including a Miss USA title.
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
01/16/09   CD4-425    22%  VL- 32,415
11/09- started Reyetaz/Norvir/Truvada
03/10- stopped R/N/T
10/18/11   CD4- 328   20%  VL- 84,000
10/25/11   CD4- 386   22%
10/28/11- start Truvada/Reyetaz/Norvir
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
03/08/12  CD4- 503  31%  VL 57
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

02/14- switched from R/N/T to Tivicay/Epzicom because of CKD 3 suspected from tenofovir.

03/14- switched back to R/N/T due to severe nausea and inability to eat on T/E.

04/01/14 CD4- 898  42%   VL-

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 10:30:14 pm »
She is a beauty queen, not supposed to be smart and dedicate her reign to world peace.  They shouldn't be asked difficult or controversial questions on any issues.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 10:44:48 pm »
She is a beauty queen, not supposed to be smart and dedicate her reign to world peace.  They shouldn't be asked difficult or controversial questions on any issues.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Right, why not perpetuate the stereotype that beautiful women are all stupid?    We know beauty queens have never amounted to anything successful, requiring brains, like Jane Pauley.

I think these pageants are a bit silly, but they do publically state that their goal is to find someone articulate who can represent their cause.  This actually does require a certain amount of brains, shockingly enough.  I'm OK with it if they decide to put their money where their proverbial mouth is.

Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline justaguy

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 11:43:48 pm »
Her answer should have been:

"I personally believe that us americans
are unable to do so because osama.

People out there
in our nation
don't have that,

And I believe that our education
like such as south africa and
such as the Iraq.

everywhere "such as".

And I believe our education
should help the US
should help the south africa
and the iraq
and the asian countries
so we can build up
our future."

;D

Estimated infection: 3/2008
Tested HIV positive: 3/31/2009
CD4 136/unknown %/VL 150,000: 4/6/2009
Started Atripla 4/17/2009
CD4 255/19%/VL 409 5/27/2009
CD4 247/??/VL 161 6/27/2009
CD4 257/21%/VL 60 7/22/2009
CD4 352/22%/VL Undetectable 10/21/2009
CD4 490/27%/VL Undetectable 2/15/2010
CD4 397/?/VL Undetectable 7/2/2010

Offline tokyodecadence

• A one room disco.
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 01:24:16 am »

People out there
in our nation
don't have that,

such as the Iraq.

everywhere "such as".

should help the US
and the iraq
and the asian countries
so we can build up
our future."

;D

AHH! HAHAHA I SO remember that! I don't even watch pageants, and that was a classic.
[.Fodão.]

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 01:47:18 am »
If elected, I vow to promote Whirled Peas in all 52 states, Alaska and Hawaii  ;D Have the best day
Michael
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 01:54:31 am by Sonomabeach »

Offline md

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 02:09:53 am »

People out there
in our nation
don't have that,

such as the Iraq.

everywhere "such as".

should help the US
and the iraq
and the asian countries
so we can build up
our future."

;D

... and here it is ...

Of course, we should all  be thankful that Miss California didn't also play the trumpet  :o
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 02:14:54 am by md »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 02:27:18 am »
I found her delightfully perky.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline ademas

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 02:53:13 am »
I found her delightfully perky.

Miss California or Miss Hilton?

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 07:37:55 am »
Well, that's how she was raised, according to her.

I guess that means if your parents were bigots then it's just fine and dandy if you are too.

I think she should be disqualified from being runner run.
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline David_CA

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 08:53:42 am »
Prejean Monday said she was raised in a way that you can never compromise your beliefs and your opinions for anything. (from the link in the original post)

I think the fact that she can't realize that HER beliefs belong to HER (and her family, as the case may be) and don't need to be forced on anybody else is what 'cost' her the crown.  If she'd only said that she didn't believe in same-sex marriage but that she understands that other people are different, perhaps things would have turned out differently.  Perhaps she's too young for such insight... or maybe that's something her parents didn't bother to teach her.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 12:01:01 pm by David_NC »
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 10:55:35 am »
Michael
She was asked a question and she gave HER honest opinion. I see no problem with her answer. I don't have to agree or disagree, but it was HER honest opinion.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 01:06:25 pm »
So, Roddles, if she said "Negroes are an inferior race" you'd giver her a pass as "just having an opinion" instead of calling her a racist?

Offline poz4afewyears

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 01:52:47 pm »
It's just someone's opinion. I may not agree with the opinion, but thats okay. We don't have "thought police" just yet, although I imagine many people in the USA would go for that idea.
This is why I never ask people their opinions on things like this, because I just don't want to know. Whatever you do in your own head is fine with me so long as I don't know about it.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 02:47:54 pm »
the problem I have with her answer is that is was not based on the truth. And she, as a spokesperson for California, wanting to be a spokesperson for the USA, broadcast a totally false impression of how life in America actually is. I'm glad she was called on the carpet rather than allowed to continue spewing forth lies about some of the problems we have with life in our grand nation.

"We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage," Prejean said.

First, what is "opposite marriage"? Where in America has that wording ever been used? The only way I've heard that phrase is usually as a perjorative when a bigot is claiming that homosexuals marrying is so wrong that it's the "opposite of marriage". But I'll give her a pass on that one. Everyone is entitled to stumble over words once in a while.  ;)

However, for nearly the last 250 years, America has NOT been a land where "you can choose same-sex marriage". Matter of fact it's only been a legal option in a few states for a very short time. So her comment is totally wrong, and tries to deflect the underlying bigotry of her opinion by using a lie.

then again, this is all about what a beauty contestant said right? Having grown up during the years when the talk of ERA was all the rage, I'm just amazed that women have allowed these kinds of events, objectifying women, to continue through the years. Although, I do find it more horrifying to see these kinds of contests containing small children ala Jon Bennet.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline dixieman

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 03:11:50 pm »
I agree with David NC and rapidrod on this... this was her opinion... by far I think everyone is becoming too politically correct for afraid of telling how they themselves feel about a question... I guess its better to decieve than to tell the truth. Oh I think she should have chosen a better phrase and wording to answer this question but, it was asked... and she gave her answer whether you agree to it and or not! The judge who asked this question... I find his actions appalling he is by far more of  an embarrasment to the gay community for his out of control behaviour when interviewed on this matter... stereotypical typecast for a gay (homosexual) in this country. His statements that were ----deleated out of the interview were uncalled for...

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 06:06:06 pm »
So, I agree that she has a right to her opinion -- but what makes me nuts about this is that now she is whining about the consequences associated with "standing by her beliefs".  She (and the media) keeping harping on how "her beliefs" cost her the crown -- here's another possibility -- maybe Miss NC DESERVED the crown more the Miss CA.  Perhaps she didn't LOSE it at all -- maybe, just maybe, it was WON by Miss NC.

If I were the winner, I'd be pissed off at the assumption that she "lucked into" the crown.

Of course, I think that beauty pageants are a bunch of ridiculous hogwash, but that's for a different thread.

Mike

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 06:16:50 pm »
Miss North Carolina kicked her ass fair and square.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 07:09:41 pm »
Well whoever won and regardless of what they think about gay marriage, I hope she knows how to walk!  Hasn't the last two Miss USA winners fallen down while competing at the international thingy? 

But more importantly why do people say "no offense to anyone out there" and then follow it up with a statement that is obviously going to offend?

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 09:19:48 pm »
Not so long ago you could be fired because you were the wrong race, sex or practiced the wrong religion. 

Bigotry in all forms is wrong and someone shouldn't be given a free pass because they interpreted their religion to allow them to discriminate.  Then a woman at the pageant brought up Adam & Eve, who never had a marriage ceremony in a version of the bible I've ever read.

If she chooses to discriminate she should suffer the consequences. 

As Lord Waheed Ali said to the British Parliament:  Make equality a duty, NOT AN OPTION.

Stand Up to Hatred!
AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 08:05:31 am »
The judge who asked this question... I find his actions appalling he is by far more of  an embarrasment to the gay community for his out of control behaviour when interviewed on this matter... stereotypical typecast for a gay (homosexual) in this country.

And today's AIDSmeds Forums Self-Loathing Statement Award goes to...

God forbid if a bitchy queen appears on national TV.  The shock.  The horror.

Sorry Dixie -- that comment pissed me off, and I couldn't let it stand without remarking on it.  We're actually in agreement about our dislike for how Perez Hilton handled this in the press, but I don't like it when the gays get upset when the world sees a "stereotypical" queen.  They need to see MORE of our diversity (including our stereotypes), not less.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2009, 08:15:37 am »
Not so long ago you could be fired because you were the wrong race, sex or practiced the wrong religion. 

Bigotry in all forms is wrong and someone shouldn't be given a free pass because they interpreted their religion to allow them to discriminate.  Then a woman at the pageant brought up Adam & Eve, who never had a marriage ceremony in a version of the bible I've ever read.

If she chooses to discriminate she should suffer the consequences. 

As Lord Waheed Ali said to the British Parliament:  Make equality a duty, NOT AN OPTION.

Stand Up to Hatred!

AA

Absolutely. What Andy said.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline komnaes

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2009, 08:18:38 am »
So, Roddles, if she said "Negroes are an inferior race" you'd giver her a pass as "just having an opinion" instead of calling her a racist?

Oh yeah, supported by religion as well. I mean, if God has wanted races to mix, wouldn't He has created just one single race instead of black, brown, white and anything in between?! Think about it! Interracial marriage is sooooo against God. Just people expressing "opinions".. no need to be soooooo PC about it.. right?!

But seriously, what was Perez doing judging a beauty pageant.. ? He could have done a far more entertaining sideshow by giving totally bitchy and devastating but horrendous commentaries on how silly the whole thing is in the first place.. ;D
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2009, 09:47:46 am »
Oh yeah, supported by religion as well. I mean, if God has wanted races to mix, wouldn't He has created just one single race instead of black, brown, white and anything in between?! Think about it! Interracial marriage is sooooo against God. Just people expressing "opinions".. no need to be soooooo PC about it.. right?!

But seriously, what was Perez doing judging a beauty pageant.. ? He could have done a far more entertaining sideshow by giving totally bitchy and devastating but horrendous commentaries on how silly the whole thing is in the first place.. ;D
I have to agree, why was he judging a beauty pagent? Had it been a drag queen pagent then I wouldn't see a problem.  Miss Philicia, I don't think being Gay has anything to do with race, nor was the question asked about race.   ::)

Offline poz4afewyears

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2009, 10:56:57 am »
And today's AIDSmeds Forums Self-Loathing Statement Award goes to...

Sorry, but being critical of another gay person doesn't make you "self-loathing". Just because someone doesn't agree with the status quo of homosexuality does not mean they are self-loathing. I don't like it either when all we see on TV is "stereotypical" homosexuals. It sends a bad message to people. The homosexuals they show on TV typically are promiscuous, can't hold down a job, and are addicted to drugs and alcohol. I have never been addicted to alcohol or drugs, I have only ever smoked one or two marijuana joints in my life. I can keep down a job, and I am not promiscuous.
When people see people like Perez Hilton are on TV they begin to think that there is something wrong with all of us. They begin to think that being gay is all about fashion, sex, and being shallow.

And what qualifications does Perez Hilton have to judge a Miss USA pageant anyway? He runs a blog. Putting Perez Hilton on the show really cheapens the effect.

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2009, 11:24:30 am »
Sorry, but being critical of another gay person doesn't make you "self-loathing". Just because someone doesn't agree with the status quo of homosexuality does not mean they are self-loathing. I don't like it either when all we see on TV is "stereotypical" homosexuals. It sends a bad message to people. The homosexuals they show on TV typically are promiscuous, can't hold down a job, and are addicted to drugs and alcohol. I have never been addicted to alcohol or drugs, I have only ever smoked one or two marijuana joints in my life. I can keep down a job, and I am not promiscuous.
When people see people like Perez Hilton are on TV they begin to think that there is something wrong with all of us. They begin to think that being gay is all about fashion, sex, and being shallow.

And what qualifications does Perez Hilton have to judge a Miss USA pageant anyway? He runs a blog. Putting Perez Hilton on the show really cheapens the effect.

The remarks were about context and the history of the poster.

Ya I guess Ellen sends a bad message because she  is married and a successful celebrity and....What current TV personalities are you talking about?    and who is "THEY"?

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2009, 11:34:45 am »
I have to agree, why was he judging a beauty pagent? Had it been a drag queen pagent then I wouldn't see a problem.  Miss Philicia, I don't think being Gay has anything to do with race, nor was the question asked about race.   ::)

So you see absolutely no similarities between the civil rights movement for African Americans in the 20th century and the current one for gay people?  I'll assume by that statement you're indicating that being gay is a choice.

Offline poz4afewyears

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2009, 11:37:22 am »

The remarks were about context and the history of the poster.

Ya I guess Ellen sends a bad message because she  is married and a successful celebrity and....What current TV personalities are you talking about?    and who is "THEY"?

What is it with you people? Where in my post did I say that every single solitary gay person on Television is a stereotypical homosexual? Where exactly did I say that? Please point out where I said that. Thanks.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2009, 11:38:03 am »
I don't like it either when all we see on TV is "stereotypical" homosexuals. It sends a bad message to people. The homosexuals they show on TV typically are promiscuous, can't hold down a job, and are addicted to drugs and alcohol.

I'm not sure what TV shows you are referring to, but I haven't seen them......
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2009, 11:41:15 am »
What is it with you people? Where in my post did I say that every single solitary gay person on Television is a stereotypical homosexual? Where exactly did I say that? Please point out where I said that. Thanks.

Are you dyslexic or something?  When you write "when all we see on TV is "stereotypical" homosexuals" what are we supposed to read that as?

Offline poz4afewyears

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2009, 11:43:15 am »
So you see absolutely no similarities between the civil rights movement for African Americans in the 20th century and the current one for gay people?  I'll assume by that statement you're indicating that being gay is a choice.

The difference is is that a hell of a lot of people do not give a shit about homosexuals. With Christians and Muslims each having over a billion followers, there is a HUGE, a MASSIVE portion of the world's population that does not see it the way we do. And that is just the Christians and Muslims. I have really found over the past few years, since I have moved to this area that people really don't like gay people. They may say they love us anyway, but they don't. And unlike skin colour which is obviously a trait that can't be changed, homosexuality is something that is on the inside. So it is a lot easier for people to say that it is choice, and therefore a lot easier for them to not care about our issues.

I don't know if any of you have ever heard of "Landover Baptist", but it is a parody church of Christian fundamentalism. There they have "ex-Negro" organisations where blacks can become good, white Americans.

Offline poz4afewyears

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2009, 11:44:32 am »
Are you dyslexic or something?  When you write "when all we see on TV is "stereotypical" homosexuals" what are we supposed to read that as?

It is not meant to be taken literally as every single solitary person on TV. I am not going to write a 400pg post exculding each individual who doesn't fit the description I am taking about.

Why is it that in the politically correct world that when you say something like "Blacks have higher amounts of people in prison compared to other population in the USA" that you are oblgated to say.... "but I know this one person who is black and not in prison, and I know this other person who is not in prison, and Barack Obama is not in prison, and Colin Powell is not in prison, and Jesse Jackson is not in prison, and the my best friends mother's postman's son's bestfriend is not in prison, and this guy I went to high school with is not in prison, and on and on and on and on and on and on and on.". It is usually implied when someone makes a statement that they are not talking about each and every single solitary person in that group, unless you are hyper politically correct.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 11:51:34 am by poz4afewyears »

Offline poz4afewyears

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2009, 11:46:52 am »
I'm not sure what TV shows you are referring to, but I haven't seen them......

Really? You've never seen "Queer as Folk"? How many of the people on that show were promiscuous and addicted to drugs? Have you ever seen "Will and Grace"? Wasn't Jack a flamboyant person? Didn't he sleep with every person he could? Wasn't he completely unable to hold down a job?

Maybe you aren't looking. Or maybe you don't want to see how the media bashes us underhandedly.

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2009, 11:47:43 am »

AlanBama pointed it out.  oh and now Miss P

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2009, 11:49:44 am »
So you're proposing that there shouldn't be any representation of such things?  Or just less?  What's the acceptable amount?

Is the representation of heterosexuals all positive on television?

Sorry honey, but you're not making a lot of sense.

PLEASE NOTE: I should not have used the word "honey" as it's over flamboyant and fey.

Offline poz4afewyears

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2009, 11:54:15 am »
So you're proposing that there shouldn't be any representation of such things?  Or just less?  What's the acceptable amount?

Where did I propose that?  ??? Oh yeah, I didn't.

But what is wrong with a more balanced view of the homosexual community? Are the hyper politically correct people always screaming that the black community needs better role models on TV? What is wrong with more positive homosexual role models on TV?

Offline David_CA

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2009, 12:00:42 pm »
The difference is is that a hell of a lot of people do not give a shit about homosexuals. With Christians and Muslims each having over a billion followers, there is a HUGE, a MASSIVE portion of the world's population that does not see it the way we do. And that is just the Christians and Muslims. I have really found over the past few years, since I have moved to this area that people really don't like gay people. They may say they love us anyway, but they don't. And unlike skin colour which is obviously a trait that can't be changed, homosexuality is something that is on the inside. So it is a lot easier for people to say that it is choice, and therefore a lot easier for them to not care about our issues.

I'd say that a lot of people don't give a shit about other people, gay or not.  It's just that we're an easier target largely because we're not a 'protected' class.  We're just the underdog that's easy to kick without recourse.  Folks back in the day used to use biblical references to support legislation prohibiting marriage between the races and even to support slavery.  Skin color may be on the outside, but love, affection, and desire for another person certainly aren't.  As for the Christians and Muslims that don't like us, a lot of them don't even like each other, so I don't see a lot of problem there.  People often are afraid and don't like things that are different, that are out of their comfort zone (ooh, there's an insect, better kill it!). 

As for a gay guy acting like a total queen in public... so f'in what!  It's ok.  I know a lot of gay men that act like that, and, while not something that particularly attracts me, I'm not going to criticize them for it.  The diversity of 'our' culture is partly what makes it so interesting and unique.  I can act as butch or as flaming as anybody, but why should I act?  What's wrong with me just being me?

Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2009, 12:03:06 pm »

Although there are some people that don't want or care about marriage equality, it would be naive to think that the conservative groups will stop there. Several CA groups are already working on a proposition to be put on the ballet to overturn legislation that protects GLBT students in schools.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2009, 12:03:30 pm »

I don't like it either when all we see on TV is "stereotypical" homosexuals

It is not meant to be taken literally as every single solitary person on TV. I am not going to write a 400pg post exculding each individual who doesn't fit the description I am taking about.

If you didn't mean for "all" to be "taken literally as every single solitary person on TV" then you should have been more clear and said "some", "several", "a few", or a whole host of other short words or phrases that convey your meaning. Don't post blanket statements and expect to not be called on them.

Really? You've never seen "Queer as Folk"? How many of the people on that show were promiscuous and addicted to drugs? Have you ever seen "Will and Grace"? Wasn't Jack a flamboyant person? Didn't he sleep with every person he could? Wasn't he completely unable to hold down a job?

Maybe you aren't looking. Or maybe you don't want to see how the media bashes us underhandedly.

I've watched both programs, the original Queer as Folk (British) and Will and Grace. In neither program were ALL the gay characters negative stereotypes.

I think everyone here will agree with you that there should be a balanced and positive  portrayal of gay men and women in television and films, but YOU are the one who seemed to claim there aren't ANY. Maybe you just don't recognise the ones which do exist.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2009, 12:07:20 pm »
I don't believe that the question of being Gay is a choice was asked? I believe the complant here was Miss California's reply to a question that didn't concern the pagent and that she gave her honest opinion which you seem to differ, which is YOUR opinion. I don't agree and I don't believe the question should have ever been asked.

Offline poz4afewyears

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2009, 12:10:34 pm »
Aside from Ellen I don't really see any. I personally think the media takes jabs at us as much as it can. And gay people eat these shows up, of course I didn't mean ALL gay people because I didn't really like them, and the guy next door to me who is gay didn't like them, and someone he met online said he didn't like them, and my grandmother's remarried husband's daughter's partner's best friend doesn't like them.
And nowhere did I say that ALL people on Queer as Folk acted one way. My question was "How many of the people on that show were promiscuous and addicted to drugs?", not "Didn't you know that ALL people on that show....".

I will not adjust my language to make the politically correct happy. If I say "Americans are so religious", I don't mean every single solitary American who is alive today, and I believe it is implied.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2009, 12:10:47 pm »

As for a gay guy acting like a total queen in public... so f'in what!  It's ok.  I know a lot of gay men that act like that, and, while not something that particularly attracts me, I'm not going to criticize them for it.  The diversity of 'our' culture is partly what makes it so interesting and unique.  I can act as butch or as flaming as anybody, but why should I act?  What's wrong with me just being me?

I agree. In fact, I known a helluva lot more ultra-macho-in-your-face acting straight men than I've known ultra-flamboyant-in-your-face acting gay men and I'll tell you right now I'd prefer to spend time in the company of a flamboyant man than a macho man. I always want to say to a macho-macho man; get over yourself already! Bloody cave man mentalities I cannot abide.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2009, 12:11:49 pm »
I don't believe that the question of being Gay is a choice was asked? I believe the complant here was Miss California's reply to a question that didn't concern the pagent and that she gave her honest opinion which you seem to differ, which is YOUR opinion. I don't agree and I don't believe the question should have ever been asked.

Ok Rodney, if she'd been asked if she thought marriage between a white person and a black person were ok and she said NO, wouldn't you then think she was being a racist? THAT is how the issues are the same.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline poz4afewyears

« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2009, 12:12:16 pm »

RapidRod, does it seem like everyone on here attacks your opinions and twists your words so that you are no longer saying what you originally said? Does it seem like people gang up on you when they really don't even understand what it was you were trying to say in the first place?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2009, 12:14:04 pm »

I will not adjust my language to make the politically correct happy. If I say "Americans are so religious", I don't mean every single solitary American who is alive today, and I believe it is implied.

Fine by me, but don't expect to get a "get out of jail free" card and not be pulled when you say something patently absurd or bigoted.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2009, 12:16:14 pm »
RapidRod, does it seem like everyone on here attacks your opinions and twists your words so that you are no longer saying what you originally said? Does it seem like people gang up on you when they really don't even understand what it was you were trying to say in the first place?

You wrote what you wrote and it's right there on the screen in front of me. Nobody twisted your words, but due to your own ineptness with the language, you were misunderstood. There's a HUGE difference.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2009, 12:19:08 pm »

Aside from Ellen I don't really see any.

What about the gay couple on Desperate Housewives? They seem to me to be a committed, loving, hard-working couple. They're not any more or any less dysfunctional than the other family groupings on Wisteria Lane.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2009, 12:20:17 pm »
Ok Rodney, if she'd been asked if she thought marriage between a white person and a black person were ok and she said NO, wouldn't you then think she was being a racist? THAT is how the issues are the same.

Ann

Ann, was she asked that question? The issues are not the same because we don't know her opinion of mixed race marriages, she wasn't asked that question about mixed race marriages. She was asked about gay marriage which she gave her honest opinion. If people don't want others opinions for christ sakes don't ask the question. It's really that simple.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.