Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:47:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 229
Total: 232

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: spring into summer...  (Read 125174 times)

Offline mitch777

Re: spring into summer...
« Reply #300 on: August 07, 2013, 06:41:54 pm »
Screw the Torndados and corn sightings, It's 106 on my porch right now.  Too hot to even rock in my porch rocking chair and whistle at the cuties this afternoon :(

Lawdy be!
Is that a heat wave for SA? Seems like this summer was pretty pretty mild for you so far. I was really looking forward to shedding croc tears after your commentary about our blizzard last winter. SO disappointing. :(
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #301 on: August 07, 2013, 06:46:26 pm »
Its been fairly mild until last week, we'll be in the 100's for about 10 days. You can shed your tears over my situation when you are sipping Mimosas in 72 degree weather on the banks of Lake Michigan  ::)
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline mitch777

« Reply #302 on: August 07, 2013, 06:51:23 pm »
Its been fairly mild until last week, we'll be in the 100's for about 10 days. You can shed your tears over my situation when you are sipping Mimosas in 72 degree weather on the banks of Lake Michigan  ::)

You just made my day. ;D
Do you have snow envy now?
Hunker down with your air conditioner. Maybe you could leave a trail of ice cubes to attract the cuties. 8)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #303 on: August 07, 2013, 07:03:11 pm »
Just a reminder.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #304 on: August 07, 2013, 07:09:21 pm »
Oh, and this. (one pic at a time STILL >:(.)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #305 on: August 07, 2013, 08:40:56 pm »
1st pic - RUDE. 2nd pic- where can I get one?
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline mitch777

« Reply #306 on: August 07, 2013, 08:47:15 pm »
1st pic - RUDE. 2nd pic- where can I get one?

1st REply:  :)
2nd REply: Home Depot :)

ps- I want your avatar. *giggle*

Offline ds4146

« Reply #307 on: August 07, 2013, 08:47:25 pm »
2nd pic- where can I get one?
You do realize it for corn and not other misbehavior, right?  ::)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #308 on: August 07, 2013, 08:56:01 pm »
You do realize it for corn and not other misbehavior, right?  ::)

How can you call it misbehavior when it feels so good?
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline mitch777

« Reply #309 on: August 07, 2013, 09:00:49 pm »
How can you call it misbehavior when it feels so good?
I'd have to agree. :)

Offline ds4146

« Reply #310 on: August 07, 2013, 09:18:37 pm »
Little Willy I could excuse, but Ms. M. your pleasant :P, courtesy :-X, quaint :'( demeanor in other postings does not allow for this inappropriate chat. You should be ashamed, I hope your sweet peas wilt and die!

Offline mitch777

« Reply #311 on: August 07, 2013, 09:21:15 pm »
Little Willy I could excuse, but Ms. M. your pleasant :P, courtesy :-X, quaint :'( demeanor in other postings does not allow for this inappropriate chat. You should be ashamed, I hope your sweet peas wilt and die!
LOL!  :-[ :-[ :-[ Ha!
Just call me Cybil. ;)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #312 on: August 15, 2013, 04:50:11 pm »
came home to this from Chicago! :) Yum!
lot's more corn to pick yet.
some of these cucumbers were the size of, um... well, they were HUGE!!! :o ;)

Offline Habersham

« Reply #313 on: August 15, 2013, 04:57:56 pm »
That's quite a pretty stillife. Where did you hide the ones the worms were chewing on?  I hate to say it but they look better than any purchased at a local farmers market!
Because I Can

Offline mitch777

« Reply #314 on: August 15, 2013, 05:05:38 pm »
That's quite a pretty stillife. Where did you hide the ones the worms were chewing on?  I hate to say it but they look better than any purchased at a local farmers market!
Worms are not permitted above ground level in Connecticut. (I think Martha Stewart put up a stink about it) :)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #315 on: August 15, 2013, 05:13:06 pm »
That looks really, really good.  I went to the local farmer's market today and picked up some tasty treats.  Luckily there's several farms in the area, so everything is fresh.  Even though fall is my favorite season, I love this time of year for all the fresh fruit/veggies!  (plus the farmer's market has organic beef, free range chicken and turkeys).
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline mitch777

« Reply #316 on: August 15, 2013, 05:21:07 pm »
  (plus the farmer's market has organic beef, free range chicken and turkeys).

Our neighbors raised chickens this year. Maybe I will set them free and cook them in our range. ;)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #317 on: August 15, 2013, 05:33:33 pm »
The term free range livestock and poultry crack me up . It would only be truly free range if it was far enough from humans as to not end up on a dinner table .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Habersham

« Reply #318 on: August 15, 2013, 05:40:49 pm »
My neighbor about 4 blocks down raises chickens. Usually the rooster hangs out in our backyard. Today though, he took a walk down the middle of the street.
Because I Can

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #319 on: August 16, 2013, 04:43:04 am »
I guess what I should have said is-none of the meat sold there has antibiotics/hormones/etc, that have been injected into the animals.

One of my co-workers told me about a documentary he watched.  One of the things Europe will not import from the US is meat.  Allegedly that is because 75% of the antibiotics used in the US have been injected into farm animals that are going to slaughter. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline mitch777

« Reply #320 on: August 21, 2013, 05:42:32 pm »
The joys of an old house. ::)
After 153 years the soffit boards have started to rot on "our watch" of this beautiful money pit. The gingerbread has a million layers of alligator paint and it's time to do some fun repairs. Kenny is working on the section along this side of the house now. The rest will have to wait til next year. He is replacing the gingerbread as well. Lots of cutting!! Here's a pic of our little handsome "helper" who really wasn't much help. :-\
Poor photo. :(

Offline mitch777

« Reply #321 on: August 21, 2013, 05:45:07 pm »
Lots of bees to contend with in them rafters! Notice the main power lines attatched to the house at the peak. Yikers!

oops, I guess the power lines got cropped out after review of the pic. The line at the corner is just the cable line.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 05:47:13 pm by mitch777 »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #322 on: August 21, 2013, 06:01:34 pm »
The joys of home ownership ... Trips around the world are traded for trips to Home Depot for some of us .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #323 on: August 21, 2013, 06:06:31 pm »
The joys of home ownership ... Trips around the world are traded for trips to Home Depot for some of us .   
We could have taken a luxury yacht cruise. Too late now. >:(

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #324 on: August 21, 2013, 11:40:04 pm »
We had a huge bee hive, in the house we rented years ago.  You could hear them buzzing.  When they began making their way inside, we called a bee guy.  He got lots of honey. 

Offline wolfter

« Reply #325 on: August 22, 2013, 07:14:33 am »
The soffits appear to be in good order.  It looks like just the facia needs replaced.  And I see the main power lines come in through the peak.  If you have the time, now would be the time to reroute them through a mast head a few feet above the peak.

Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #326 on: August 22, 2013, 08:02:19 am »
We had a huge bee hive, in the house we rented years ago.  You could hear them buzzing.  When they began making their way inside, we called a bee guy.  He got lots of honey.
We weren't so lucky. Yellow Jackets. :o

The soffits appear to be in good order.  It looks like just the facia needs replaced.  And I see the main power lines come in through the peak.  If you have the time, now would be the time to reroute them through a mast head a few feet above the peak.

The soffits are rotted on the sides of the house but seem ok at the peak end. We're not touching the peak end until next year. We actually talked about a mast head and moving it over to the corner of the house with the chimney. (not seen in pic) We also need to replace our menagerie of circuit boxes and fuse boxes.
I think there are about 5 or 6 in total and we have 2 separate 100 watt systems and 2 electric meters. This tiny house was a duplex in the 1940's. Pricey job. ::)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #327 on: August 22, 2013, 08:32:28 am »
I believe you're talking about 2, 100 amp services. ;D  Before installing a new electrical mast head, check with zoning.  Most times, it requires it to be installed 2 feet above the highest point (the peak). 

We just updated my brother's 1950's cape code house with 200 amp service and new wiring and mast head.  A few hundred dollars, but totally updated.

I can't imagine needing to recreate all the intricate scroll work.  That'll be very labor intensive but is needed in keeping with the style of the house.

BTW, my Lily garden still looks like grass?  I'll have to post a pic to get your take.  Perhaps I planted the wrong thing and am just watering some fancy grass. :o

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 08:42:14 am by wolfter »
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #328 on: August 22, 2013, 09:50:45 am »
I believe you're talking about 2, 100 amp services. ;D  Before installing a new electrical mast head, check with zoning.  Most times, it requires it to be installed 2 feet above the highest point (the peak). 

We just updated my brother's 1950's cape code house with 200 amp service and new wiring and mast head.  A few hundred dollars, but totally updated.

I can't imagine needing to recreate all the intricate scroll work.  That'll be very labor intensive but is needed in keeping with the style of the house.

BTW, my Lily garden still looks like grass?  I'll have to post a pic to get your take.  Perhaps I planted the wrong thing and am just watering some fancy grass. :o

Ha! Yes, I screwed up. Actually we have 2, 200 AMP services. I know as much about electricity as I do brain surgery. ;D We got the OK for relocating the mast near the chimney. It would extend above the peak.

The gingerbread is a must! It's what adds the most character to the house and we are in a historic district.
We have a plaque on the house listing it as a historic district property from The National Register of Historic Places. People here would freak out if the gingerbread wasn't replaced.

As far as the lilies go. They are daylilies. Did you buy them as 6 individual plants? If so, I've never seen that before. If you divided them it was a mistake. They will still be OK but it will probably take several years for them to amount to a decent clump. Planting one clump in the center would have produced much faster results. It's impossible for me to know the variety but most daylilies bloom in July here in CT. Good luck and be patient. :)

Edited to add:
Daylilies are one of the easiest plants to grow so it was a good choice! Just keep that weed whacker away!!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 09:53:17 am by mitch777 »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #329 on: August 22, 2013, 10:16:22 am »
I bought an orange watermelon today at the Farmer's Market.  The gentleman who was selling the melons said they are sweeter than the red.  So of course when I got home I had to see if he was telling the truth-he was.  It is sweeter than red.  Looks the same on the outside. 

I would make a comment about the house stuff, but that's something way outside of my scope.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #330 on: August 22, 2013, 06:08:47 pm »
I bought an orange watermelon today at the Farmer's Market.  The gentleman who was selling the melons said they are sweeter than the red.  So of course when I got home I had to see if he was telling the truth-he was.  It is sweeter than red.  Looks the same on the outside. 

I would make a comment about the house stuff, but that's something way outside of my scope.
Never heard of an orange watermelon. Will be on the lookout! :)

It reminds me of when I grew different colored tomatoes (green, orange, yellow) and my friends at the time thought they would taste bad. I had them do a blind taste test and they all liked the non-red ones best.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #331 on: August 22, 2013, 06:19:26 pm »
I forgot about orange watermelon , they were my favorite as a kid . The seeds are different than regular melons too ... amiright ?
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #332 on: August 22, 2013, 06:36:50 pm »
After reading this I may just replace next years cucumber crop with Orangelo melons. :)

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/orangelo-watermelon.aspx#axzz2cjvKDwgv

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #333 on: August 22, 2013, 07:28:35 pm »
After reading this I may just replace next years cucumber crop with Orangelo melons. :)

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/orangelo-watermelon.aspx#axzz2cjvKDwgv

Yes, that's it!  Delicious.  By the way, I was tempted to buy different colored tomatoes. 

I forgot about orange watermelon , they were my favorite as a kid . The seeds are different than regular melons too ... amiright ?

It's a seedless.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #334 on: August 22, 2013, 07:33:31 pm »
I haven't had any melon this year but I bet I can find one of the orange ones at the farmers market . My to do list is growing too big for this weekend LOL .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #335 on: August 22, 2013, 07:39:58 pm »
I started buying locally grown berries and corn, because of the cheap price right now, and have been freezing them for winter months (cooking the corn, cutting off the cob, and swirling in butter prior to freezing).  Will save on costs.  And be a nice treat.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #336 on: August 22, 2013, 10:54:14 pm »
We are blackberry rich!  Blackberries at the store are $3 for a tiny package.  It looked like less than 10 berries.  We've let hundreds of dollars go to waste, as we couldn't keep up with picking them.  We should set up a roadside stand. 

We have more coming in.  I think we will make more jelly.  This was the first year we made blackberry jelly, as we always made jam.  I like the jelly better.  Since our grapes didn't do that well this year, the blackberry jelly tastes similar to the grape jelly we make.  I wish I could send all y'all a jar. 

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #337 on: August 22, 2013, 11:11:53 pm »
We are blackberry rich!  Blackberries at the store are $3 for a tiny package.  It looked like less than 10 berries.  We've let hundreds of dollars go to waste, as we couldn't keep up with picking them.  We should set up a roadside stand. 

We have more coming in.  I think we will make more jelly.  This was the first year we made blackberry jelly, as we always made jam.  I like the jelly better.  Since our grapes didn't do that well this year, the blackberry jelly tastes similar to the grape jelly we make.  I wish I could send all y'all a jar. 

You could put all our names in a bucket and pick 5 lucky winners for a jar of jelly ... or not LOL .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #338 on: August 23, 2013, 12:14:34 am »
You could put all our names in a bucket and pick 5 lucky winners for a jar of jelly ... or not LOL .

That's not a bad idea.  But, can y'all handle it?  "I don't think you're ready for this jelly."   I always sing that part, while making it, even when I thought it was "...for this journey."  Yes, my life is sad..lol. 

http://youtu.be/IyYnnUcgeMc

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #339 on: August 23, 2013, 12:24:45 am »
So your saying your jelly brings all the boys to the yard   ;) .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline buginme2

« Reply #340 on: August 23, 2013, 01:12:29 am »
But, can y'all handle it?  "I don't think you're ready for this jelly."   I always sing that part

I had no idea that's what they were saying in that song.  You do learn new things on Poz.com
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #341 on: August 23, 2013, 03:09:07 am »
I have all melons.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #342 on: August 23, 2013, 07:11:13 am »
We've let hundreds of dollars go to waste, as we couldn't keep up with picking them.  We should set up a roadside stand. 

Put up "pick your own" signs.  People will pick em and pay you a few coin.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #343 on: August 23, 2013, 07:23:55 am »

The gingerbread has a million layers of alligator paint and it's time to do some fun repairs. Kenny is working on the section along this side of the house now. The rest will have to wait til next year. He is replacing the gingerbread as well. Lots of cutting!!

If the wood of the gingerbread is sound (other than all the layers of paint), it may be worth it to look into having them dip-stripped professionally. It could end up costing you less, and of course you would then still have the authentic, original gingerbread. Some places that dip-strip will also spray paint fiddly items like gingerbread once it's stripped. I think dip-stripping may also be called vat-stripping.

So, you know, I'm wondering. Since you and Kenny live in a gingerbread house, do you also have a child-sized very large oven? ;D

I haven't had a really good piece of watermelon in like forever. The watermelon we get here is usually from Spain and it's just not as tasty as I remember. :-\ Nothing to do with Spain, you understand, I think it's just the long time from field to table (and possibly being artificially ripened) that makes it bland. It's also generally expensive.

Another summer food I miss from the States is corn on the cob, where you buy it from a road-side stand (or pick it yourself) at a farm and take it home and put it directly in the pot. I grew up in Ohio, where the saying was that corn had to be "knee high by the fourth of July". You can buy frozen corn on the cob here, but it just isn't the same.

I remember one summer when my step-sister and her family were living out in the country, and their house was in the middle of corn fields. That was the best corn ever. The farmer was her landlord and he allowed us to pick corn once a week - sometimes we boiled it, sometimes we grilled it outside, in the husk.

The farmer also had a pond where we were permitted to fish, so we'd have fresh fish, fried green tomatoes and corn on the cob at the weekends. My step-sister kept Great Danes and one of them was mad about grilled corn on the cob - he'd munch on them like they were bones. Good memories!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #344 on: August 23, 2013, 07:38:20 am »
Yes corn on the cob sucks in Switzerland.  And watermelon usually sucks.  And both are crazy ass expensive... 
There are delicious melons of all sorts coming in from Italy and Spain sometimes France.  But they haven't mastered watermelon...  Im sure sweet corn and watermelon would grow fine here in Switzerland but no farmers bother...
When I was a kid my french teacher who was from exotic France told us little kiddies that corn on the cob was for pigs, and that football was for gorillas.  This, from the lady who told us the gross "waste management" techniques of Tour de France cyclists.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:42:54 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Tool man

« Reply #345 on: August 23, 2013, 08:46:02 am »
Summer is in full force here in Arkansas as it will reach 100 again soon.
We are too fatigued to clean the pool, it will be forever green!

TM
Like I tell my husband, "I would agree with you but then we would both be wrong."

Offline mitch777

« Reply #346 on: August 23, 2013, 10:11:16 am »
That's not a bad idea.  But, can y'all handle it?  "I don't think you're ready for this jelly."   I always sing that part, while making it, even when I thought it was "...for this journey."  Yes, my life is sad..lol. 

Forget the jelly, I want a video of you singing that song! ;)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #347 on: August 23, 2013, 10:36:06 am »
If the wood of the gingerbread is sound (other than all the layers of paint), it may be worth it to look into having them dip-stripped professionally. It could end up costing you less, and of course you would then still have the authentic, original gingerbread. Some places that dip-strip will also spray paint fiddly items like gingerbread once it's stripped. I think dip-stripping may also be called vat-stripping.

So, you know, I'm wondering. Since you and Kenny live in a gingerbread house, do you also have a child-sized very large oven? ;D

I haven't had a really good piece of watermelon in like forever. The watermelon we get here is usually from Spain and it's just not as tasty as I remember. :-\ Nothing to do with Spain, you understand, I think it's just the long time from field to table (and possibly being artificially ripened) that makes it bland. It's also generally expensive.

Another summer food I miss from the States is corn on the cob, where you buy it from a road-side stand (or pick it yourself) at a farm and take it home and put it directly in the pot. I grew up in Ohio, where the saying was that corn had to be "knee high by the fourth of July". You can buy frozen corn on the cob here, but it just isn't the same.

I remember one summer when my step-sister and her family were living out in the country, and their house was in the middle of corn fields. That was the best corn ever. The farmer was her landlord and he allowed us to pick corn once a week - sometimes we boiled it, sometimes we grilled it outside, in the husk.

The farmer also had a pond where we were permitted to fish, so we'd have fresh fish, fried green tomatoes and corn on the cob at the weekends. My step-sister kept Great Danes and one of them was mad about grilled corn on the cob - he'd munch on them like they were bones. Good memories!
The original gingerbread had some rot in it but it was very brittle and had several chunks missing. I would have liked to keep it authentic but it just wasn't practical. We bought redwood of the same thickness and used the original as the template. I'll post a pic when we get this section done. We bought the wood about 5 years ago but the carpenter (who built our garage) took off with my deposit and disappeared. >:(

We don't have an oven. We just keep the room temperature at a steady 3500.  Now you know why I was tormented in school in the showers after gym class. Everyone laughed at my 3 raisin belly buttons.

It pains me to hear that you are watermelon and corn deprived. So sad. :( Frozen corn on the cob? Yuck!
If you ever come for a visit I will treat you to the good stuff and a cookie for dessert. :)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #348 on: August 23, 2013, 10:59:08 am »
When I was looking at houses to buy I really wanted a craftsman style home . I found one that I could afford that had been totally updated and went back three times to make sure I was making the right choice . The third visit was the the deal breaker . They had put heavy layers of new paint on rotting wood and gingerbread and its was starting to show just months after the rehab . Im sure the appraisers caught it because this reasonably priced gorgeous house sat empty for 3 years .

I still wish I had an older home but the one I settled on is cheap to keep ... It was a case of sometime you get what you need instead of what you want . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #349 on: August 23, 2013, 11:10:06 am »
When I was looking at houses to buy I really wanted a craftsman style home . I found one that I could afford that had been totally updated and went back three times to make sure I was making the right choice . The third visit was the the deal breaker . They had put heavy layers of new paint on rotting wood and gingerbread and its was starting to show just months after the rehab . Im sure the appraisers caught it because this reasonably priced gorgeous house sat empty for 3 years .

I still wish I had an older home but the one I settled on is cheap to keep ... It was a case of sometime you get what you need instead of what you want .

Smart move!
I was never really interested in Victorian houses and still am not. My mom inherited this house from her best friend and the price seemed right. BOY, was I wrong! We've since put 2 1/2 times more $ into it than what we paid for it. Even after living here for 17 years we wouldn't break even. (hitting my head against the wall)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.