Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:52:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 219
Total: 220

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: spring into summer...  (Read 125169 times)

Offline mitch777

Re: spring into summer...
« Reply #250 on: July 21, 2013, 08:25:01 pm »
That's about 10 blocks in Philadelphia or 2 avenues across in NY

I walk that far to have lunch where I live now!   lol
You left out the "up hills in both directions" part of that classic!!   :P

M

My memory must be getting foggy. Yup, uphill in both directions and it was really 6 miles in minus 40 degree weather. The sleet at times froze me solid half way home. The good part about that was it saved me half the trip home. :) My sisters made it somehow and would pour buckets of hot water on me the next morning so I could get back on the bus.
Upon arriving at school, I would be bullied and beaten by thugs 3 times my size for my hot lunch token in my pocket. :'(
The rest of the details are repressed.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #251 on: July 21, 2013, 08:44:48 pm »
Oh please Nancies, Why dont yall talk to me when at age 16 you and 3 farm workers (who couldn't speak english) had to unload an 18 wheeler of hay and stack it in the barn. Took all day. And guess what I got paid...nothing. I was earning the right to live under my parents roof ::)

I was overjoyed when I had to only muck the horse stalls, a much easier job  ;D I think this is why I love the smell of horse manure even today
Are you implying that I was overpaid? LOL!

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #252 on: July 21, 2013, 10:33:56 pm »
Are you implying that I was overpaid? LOL!

Yes. I am.

You were overpaid then, and are overpaid now in your current position as street hustler..

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Habersham

« Reply #253 on: July 22, 2013, 06:33:13 am »
Some people think it is always cold in New England. I heard they just had a perfectly awful heat wave!!!
Some people forget the name of this thread is "Spring into Summer".
Street hustlers in New England aren't wearing heavy coats and scarves right now. Drag Queen prostitutes from up there are dressing more like this:

Because I Can

Offline mitch777

« Reply #254 on: July 22, 2013, 08:33:18 am »
Yes. I am.

You were overpaid then, and are overpaid now in your current position as street hustler..

LMOA! One of these days!  >:( ;)

Street hustlers in New England aren't wearing heavy coats and scarves right now. Drag Queen prostitutes from up there are dressing more like this:

I'll have to post an updated summer pic. Mmm... what to wear, what to wear.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #255 on: July 22, 2013, 09:35:26 pm »
Hey Ted! Woohoo. You left me hanging after your corn quiz. I've already lost a night of sleep.  ???

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #256 on: July 22, 2013, 10:33:43 pm »
Hey Ted! Woohoo. You left me hanging after your corn quiz. I've already lost a night of sleep.  ???

Well, I had to double check.  It's been many years.  I knew it had something to do with hybrids and all that.  I cheated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detasseling

Offline mitch777

« Reply #257 on: July 24, 2013, 05:14:48 pm »
Well, I had to double check.  It's been many years.  I knew it had something to do with hybrids and all that.  I cheated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detasseling

I've been a space cadet lately. ::) Sorry so slow.
I guess watching a youtube video paid off! I was sort of right on my guess.

Nobody seemed to be impressed with my "egg fun fact". I honestly don't know why it works but it amazed me. Not much luck on Google.

Back to a couple of pics. (one per post as I'm not sure yet if the double pic posts are still a tech problem)

These are my purple pole beans growing up a tripod of rebar. I like that the beans are purple because it makes them easier to find when pickin'. (they turn green when cooked) :(
Some years the deer chomp them. So far so good.
First try at growing leeks (in foreground).

Offline mitch777

« Reply #258 on: July 24, 2013, 05:21:59 pm »
The cucumbers love heat and water. Looks like a good batch. Picked 8 so far and will probably pick another 80 by summers end. I give most away and make fridge pickles with some and cuke salads of all types. I plant dill amongst the cucumbers. It just seems appropriate. :)

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #259 on: July 25, 2013, 01:13:33 am »
Mitch, another quiz.  Do you know of some lilies that bloom later in summer?  We have some asiatic that bloom early.  I have heard of Fooled Me Lilies, that I think are suppose to bloom later.  Of course, Stella de Oro lilies bloom early and then later, from my understanding.  Those are those yellow ones you see in so many landscapes.

After our asiatics bloom in spring, I would like to plant some next to them, that will fill the void. 

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #260 on: July 25, 2013, 01:22:59 am »
Oh, we made our first batch of blackberry jam.  All this came from a colander of berries.  We are worried about our grape crop.  They aren't looking so good.  We usually keep a couple jars for us, and give the rest away.  We have some, who act like it is crack.  They ask us in December, whether they can get just a little more. 

Last year, we entered both in the state fair.  Ok, go ahead and laugh.  We took 2nd place for our grape jelly.  We want that blue ribbon!  Brian ditched our regular recipe for this batch, for one by the USDA.  It called for 2 cups more sugar.  I think it is too sweet and it isn't setting as well.  We will go back to our regular. 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #261 on: July 25, 2013, 11:33:51 am »
Mitch, another quiz.  Do you know of some lilies that bloom later in summer?  We have some asiatic that bloom early.  I have heard of Fooled Me Lilies, that I think are suppose to bloom later.  Of course, Stella de Oro lilies bloom early and then later, from my understanding.  Those are those yellow ones you see in so many landscapes.

After our asiatics bloom in spring, I would like to plant some next to them, that will fill the void.
Well, I had to cheat on this quiz.
I tried planting lilies but it seemed they were short lived in my garden. It might have been those rascally moles or voles so I've learned to give up. :P Daylilies present another problem for me. The flowers and buds are like candy for the deer. Some years I get lucky that they don't discover them. This year they ate almost every one. >:( Daylilies are one of the few plants I have that the deer eat. If I were to add more it would become a smorgasbord.
I like the Stella de Oro for their long and prolific blooming but the color is a bit too bold for my garden's palette. Yes, I'm a picky garden Queen. ::)
Anyway, this link lists a lot of late bloomers.
http://plantlilies.com/

Blackberry jam. Yum!
Congrats on your 2nd place win! I would never laugh as this is serious competition! Tee hee. (Oops) No, really, it's what state fairs are about. Maybe one of these years Clara won't beat Aunt Bea.  :)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #262 on: July 25, 2013, 04:54:38 pm »
That jam really looks good Ted.  And Mitch your yard is gorgeous.

I planted flowers this year and will never do it again.  The upkeep....
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline mitch777

« Reply #263 on: July 25, 2013, 05:20:47 pm »
  And Mitch your yard is gorgeous.

Thank you Betty and LOL!
Like everything else, practice can teach one how to avoid the upkeep. Don't give up!!! :)
If you are referring to weeding the bed and watering, a good coat of mulch does wonders. I look at it like this, a few bucks spent on flowers in the garden that last all summer and put a smile on your face is far less expensive than spending the same amount on cut flowers that you enjoy for a week or 2.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #264 on: July 26, 2013, 04:45:11 am »
Oh, I rarely do cut flowers.  I won't be planting flowers again.  The watering is enough to sour the experience.  I suppose I could invest in mulch if I was planning on doing it again (which I am not).  Summer is almost over, so I'm not going to try to save everything now.

I had issues with bugs eating the flowers, so a friend gave me some insect repellant and that turned things around for a while.  Just not my thing.  I know gardening is therapeutic for some, but it's not for me.  I do like to gaze at other people's, though.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline wolfter

« Reply #265 on: July 26, 2013, 07:04:31 am »
That jam really looks good Ted.  And Mitch your yard is gorgeous.

In agreement 100%!  I must be the only gay man in the Midwest that doesn't partake in this activity.  I'd rather work on cars or build something.

It does look beautiful Mitchypoo, I hope to find another husband who has those abilities.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #266 on: July 27, 2013, 05:29:03 pm »
I purchased some blood orange marmalade yesterday :P
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #267 on: July 27, 2013, 05:46:05 pm »
I bought some Smuckers.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline ds4146

« Reply #268 on: July 27, 2013, 09:43:58 pm »
I bought some Smuckers.

Your such a smart ass! You crack me up and so I guess I will grudgingly say thank you :P!

Mitch, your garden is BEAUTIFUL and today, thanks to you I went and bought some plants to replace some that on their way out. You are costing me money, quit posting.

I make incredible pickles and just maybe I will post a picture where I get there. They are bigger, juicer, sweeter and more satisfying then Miss Willy's!

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #269 on: July 28, 2013, 12:27:06 am »
I bought some Smuckers.

Smuckers?  You need to put some of my jam in your mouth.

About the upkeep of plants-- it is a big job.  We are still in the process of planting.  Our landscape consisted of those giant bushes in the front of the house, when we bought it.  I think once we are done planting, it shouldn't be as much work.  Mulch and fertilize.  Well, some plants need dead-heading.  The big thing is planting annuals.  I planted begonias along our front walkway.  I'm getting where I can't be on my knees like that--don't go to the glory holes anymore.  My knees, thigh muscles, and back hurt for several days.  I have lost a little more weight.  I just need to workout more, and I think I won't be so sore. 

It does seem like a lot of work for plants that will die and won't come back.  I've tried to get as many perennials as possible.  I've had success, in the past, getting petunias to come back.  In early spring, we tear the seeds out.  They came back. 

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #270 on: July 28, 2013, 01:00:47 am »
I bought some Smuckers.

u so nasty

I also have passionfruit champagne preserves from a kibbutz in Israel and a jar of blueberry pomegranate jam!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #271 on: July 30, 2013, 01:52:56 am »
hmmm, who doesn't love a delicious "waste" of champagne

the French 75:
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2011/10/french-75
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mitch777

« Reply #272 on: July 30, 2013, 03:12:17 pm »
This morning I decided enough is enough! Kenny and I worked hard this spring dividing the pot bound water lilies. We were looking forward to seeing them revived and blooming. Someone else had other plans. Mr. Snap. >:(

A snapping turtle decided to take up residence and has spent all summer eating a water lily salad. It had gotten to the point that had he continued, the lilies wouldn't have survived. Water lilies are people too so Mitch to the rescue!

I had to drain most of the water in order to capture the little bugger. >:(

His new home will be on the other side of the Connecticut River. :)
Here he is in a 5 gallon bucket.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #273 on: July 30, 2013, 03:18:29 pm »
And since I am still not able to post more than one pic per post (ahem...tech guys!!) here is a pic of what's under the surface. There is another deeper tier that you can't see. (about 30" total depth so the fish are able to survive the winter)

PS- By this time of year the lilies should be covering about 1/2 of the pond's surface.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #274 on: July 30, 2013, 08:32:26 pm »
Incredible stuff Mitch! very lovely.

and are you sure you didnt flush Snappy down the toilet?
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline mitch777

« Reply #275 on: July 30, 2013, 09:24:00 pm »
Incredible stuff Mitch! very lovely.

and are you sure you didnt flush Snappy down the toilet?
Lovely??
My poor chomped lilies?  ??? ;D

The idea of Snappy in my toilet sends shivers down my _ _ _ _!  :o :o

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #276 on: July 31, 2013, 06:27:11 am »

The idea of Snappy in my toilet sends shivers down my _ _ _ _!  :o :o

Shouldn't that be "sends shivers UP my _ _ _ _!" ;D

That critter was a bit big for flushing anyway. You would have had to get the plunger out and battle it out with him. I hope he likes his new home. I'm surprised he didn't decimate your fish population as well.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mitch777

« Reply #277 on: July 31, 2013, 07:12:36 am »
Shouldn't that be "sends shivers UP my _ _ _ _!" ;D

Yikes! BOTH I guess! ;D

I'm surprised he didn't decimate your fish population as well.
Me too. Maybe he was a vegan. :)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #278 on: July 31, 2013, 08:06:51 am »
That's a lovely mosquito pit Mitchy. ;D  I'd love to post pics of my Lily Garden, but I'd just be laughed at thanks to your exquisite works.  I now have 6 lilies that are around 6" tall.  My entire garden is 3' by 2'.  Even that takes too much work for my liking.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #279 on: July 31, 2013, 08:14:47 am »
That's a lovely mosquito pit Mitchy. ;D
lol.
 Actually, the fish take care of the skeeters. We don't often have much of a problem with them here compared to Minnesota...land-o-lakes. Fun fact: The Mosquito is Minnesota's state bird. :)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #280 on: July 31, 2013, 08:19:13 am »
lol.
 Actually, the fish take care of the skeeters. We don't often have much of a problem with them here compared to Minnesota...land-o-lakes. Fun fact: The Mosquito is Minnesota's state bird. :)

We live in an area where nobody would ever have a water pit of any sort.  Our entire community sits about 15' below the lake.  Therefore, we basically live in a marsh and already have mosquitos the size of bats.

I bet our mosquitos are bigger than yours. :P

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #281 on: July 31, 2013, 09:09:57 am »
We live in an area where nobody would ever have a water pit of any sort.  Our entire community sits about 15' below the lake.  Therefore, we basically live in a marsh and already have mosquitos the size of bats.

I bet our mosquitos are bigger than yours. :P

Im not certain but if you have fish and circulating water skeeters wont be a problem ?

I want a fish pond by my back patio , its screened in so no bug worries . My biggest problem is getting the hole dug LOL . Im at the point where it kills me to do work like that and it kills me to have to pay to have it done .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #282 on: July 31, 2013, 10:22:34 am »
Im not certain but if you have fish and circulating water skeeters wont be a problem ?

I want a fish pond by my back patio , its screened in so no bug worries . My biggest problem is getting the hole dug LOL . Im at the point where it kills me to do work like that and it kills me to have to pay to have it done .   
Have a hole digging party. BYOS. (bring your own shovel)  :D

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #283 on: July 31, 2013, 10:46:45 am »

I'll come and dig a hole in your backyard, if you cook me up a chicken-fried steak.  ;D

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #284 on: July 31, 2013, 10:50:34 am »
I'll come and dig a hole in your backyard, if you cook me up a chicken-fried steak.  ;D

Done ! ... I think Im getting the better deal though , you might want to reconsider or up the ante .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mitch777

« Reply #286 on: August 01, 2013, 08:13:24 pm »
Thank you kindly Mecch. :) Kenny asked if we were having turtle soup for lunch that day. I told him I didn't have a good recipe. NOW I'm prepared! Turtles beware!!! :)

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #287 on: August 02, 2013, 12:34:31 am »

We used our tiller, shoveled, tilled, shoveled, etc.  I saw a back-ho for rent at Home Depot for like $150 a day.  I wished we would have gone that route.  We could have had it done in no time, and got to 3 feet, like I wanted.  We got to 2 feet. 

We have a turtle, too.  But, he is a pet.  Brian, my partner, brought him home for the summer.  I hate that he is caged up, so I let him out. 

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #288 on: August 02, 2013, 12:43:02 am »
We used our tiller, shoveled, tilled, shoveled, etc.  I saw a back-ho for rent at Home Depot for like $150 a day.  I wished we would have gone that route.  We could have had it done in no time, and got to 3 feet, like I wanted.  We got to 2 feet. 

We have a turtle, too.  But, he is a pet.  Brian, my partner, brought him home for the summer.  I hate that he is caged up, so I let him out. 

Sweet looking dogs ! .... My days of using a shovel are over , even if I had a backhoe I would have to use one and it aint happening LOL . I hurt my neck and back windexing my car windows 3 weeks ago so I may fall apart if I pick up a shovel . I think I'm going to buy a big fountain instead . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #289 on: August 02, 2013, 07:51:19 am »
I think I'm going to buy a big fountain instead .

Jeff, here's one for you. It could double as a urinal too! :)

http://www.houzz.com/photos/126895/Times-Three-Fountain-eclectic-outdoor-fountains-los-angeles

Ted, did you let the turtle have a little swim? I bet he thinks he's at summer camp. :)

Offline mecch

« Reply #290 on: August 02, 2013, 01:33:48 pm »
If I had a garden and the cash, I'd have coloured dancing waters like in Vegas or Dubai, or a black glossy resin replica of this Roman beauty from the late Renaissance:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fontana_delle_Tartarughe
I also think it would look smashing in chrome.

There's a replica in SF on Nob Hill - the cable car (I took to work) goes right by it.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 01:39:59 pm by mecch »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #291 on: August 02, 2013, 08:17:46 pm »

I love that you let the poor turtle out, looks like he is loving the grass!
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #292 on: August 03, 2013, 01:54:08 am »
I thought this was a good place to share this pic I took.  We thought we were seeing our first tornado.  Many called 911 and TV stations.  They say they think it was just a low-hanging cloud.  They had some fancy name for it.  It happened during a bad storm.  Some meteorologists thought it may have been a tornado that dropped down and went back up, but most said just a low cloud. 

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #293 on: August 03, 2013, 09:06:53 am »
When Jan  , Jen and I were on our road trip to Memphis we got caught in a storm on the Interstate after seeing a cloud like the one ted put up . The car was rocking back and forth and the rain was blinding and going in circles .

I was very afraid we had driven right into a tornado , almost convinced in fact . Im from the south where we all know what these storms can do , I didn't want to scare them but it got so bad I finally told them that if I said so  , to get out of the car and run to the ditch and not ask questions . They got a little quite after that .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #294 on: August 03, 2013, 03:37:51 pm »
Sure looks like a tornado to me. Did you happen to see any sharks flying about?
Maybe it was a sharknado. :o

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #295 on: August 03, 2013, 03:43:53 pm »
Sure looks like a tornado to me. Did you happen to see any sharks flying about?
Maybe it was a sharknado. :o

Lol.  Tara Reid did land on our car.  I just saw she was in that movie.  Actually, we were transporting a new fish for the pond. 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #296 on: August 03, 2013, 03:46:15 pm »
Lol.  Tara Reid did land on our car.  I just saw she was in that movie.  Actually, we were transporting a new fish for the pond.
maybe your fish was a spy for the sharks. be careful!!!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #297 on: August 03, 2013, 05:16:23 pm »
When Jan  , Jen and I were on our road trip to Memphis we got caught in a storm on the Interstate after seeing a cloud like the one ted put up . The car was rocking back and forth and the rain was blinding and going in circles .

I was very afraid we had driven right into a tornado , almost convinced in fact . Im from the south where we all know what these storms can do , I didn't want to scare them but it got so bad I finally told them that if I said so  , to get out of the car and run to the ditch and not ask questions . They got a little quite after that .

When I lived in Tuscaloosa there was a tornado.  Frightening experience, and one of the reasons I moved back North.  We have increment weather, with wind and lots of water, and there have been tornados here; just not with the numbers there are in the South.  Far fewer. 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #298 on: August 06, 2013, 05:31:11 pm »
News Flash! We had our first corn this week!
I know, not too exciting to most any of you but this was the first time I grew it. (I went with the sugar and butter variety) My hand pollination proved to be successful. Yay! :) No missing kernels and it was the most tender corn I've had since I was a kid.

On another just as intriguing front... the cukes are now overwhelming. Just gave away another dozen yesterday. I really should learn how to can pickles. I can't say that I've tried too many home canned dill pickles that impressed me. My mom did make some pretty good bread and butter pickles but I honestly didn't trust her ability to can safely. When opening a jar a year after they were canned I usually saw some sort of black mold on the underside of the lid. Scary. :o
She would give us jars and we just couldn't eat them. Shhh.... 

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #299 on: August 07, 2013, 06:29:04 pm »
Screw the Torndados and corn sightings, It's 106 on my porch right now.  Too hot to even rock in my porch rocking chair and whistle at the cuties this afternoon :(

Lawdy be!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 06:35:23 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.