Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:53:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 608
Total: 612

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Share your Inspiration!  (Read 11764 times)

Offline med forum

Share your Inspiration!
« on: February 15, 2008, 09:11:02 am »
Hi everyone

I was just thinking about this as I was reading some posts.....What is the most inspirational story you have ever heard
in regards to overcoming fear, seclusion, negative thoughts, stigma, depression? It may not even be a story or person you've known....
it may be an inspirational quote or story that you yourself have lived through.

OR

Who is or who has been one of the most influential people to you? Why?

I have come across some really great comments from people here in the forums and would love to hear more inspirational and uplifting stories.
Who knows.....maybe one of these stories may change another person's perspective on their own situation or circumstances.

Thank you in advance for sharing!
Peace & health

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: Share your Inspiration!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 09:40:50 am »
Um, o.k.  I know I responded to this in the Living With forum. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline riverlassie

• Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 12:20:04 pm »
Well I  have been living pos for 20 years now. And the key word is lLIVING. it has actually shown me how to appreciate life to it's fullest. Things which I would see as lifes problems and now just minor nuiances. I've gone through 3 of the 4 phases of this so called illness. First being a freaked out suicide like run. I wasn't surprized due to my life of running high. The next stage wanting to learn all I could till it just hurt my brain. and now where it has tough me that it can actually be a blessing in disguise. Sound strange? But its true. Lifes colors are brighter. Greens are greener, yellows brighter. It is not a death sentence. It is a tool which enables me to reach out to others . To show them that this is actually a moment where LIFE BEGINS. So if your just beginning to experience the phases , be strong. For what lies ahead of you can be a wonderful life. Embrace it, cherish it and share it with others. It is in the giving that we recieve.
Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but doesn't get you anywhere.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 12:36:29 pm »
Hi Riverlassie, I've looked over your previous posts, and see this is the first time you've posted in the women's forum.  Let me say welcome to you and hope to hear more. :)

I'll say it:  My inspiration has been my bff.  She was a desperate heroin addict.  She came into recovery, was diagnosed with Hep C, went onto get her master's degree in counseling while being a single mother, and has become one of the most respected therapists in this town.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline ubotts

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 02:58:03 pm »
HI ..

I have been positive for 23 yrs....Starting taking meds 8 yrs ago.
Just do alot of positive thinking, go about your daily routine and live for today..

I thank god each day that I can see hear walk talk appreciate mother nature and the
disease does not get in the way at all..

Put the hiv on the back shelve and just think of yourself as you did before you got
hiv...

I know its easier said than done, but hey,, it works for me..

Live Love Laugh and dance like no ones watching.
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Offline keepingfaith

• Go Me!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 09:39:58 am »
****Testing Meez*****

Offline netta

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 01:34:43 pm »
Not being vain. But my inspiration is myself. With Gods help I have overcome so much shit. From being raped at age four,  surviving a disfunctional childhood, domestic violence, and living with this illness for 20 plus years and depression. I only keep going with Gods grace and mercy. I have learned to believe in myself.
"to thine own self be true"

tendai

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 06:31:30 am »
netta - wow

my role model is a zimbabwean woman called Tendayi Westerhoff.  She is an HIV+ AIDS activist, former wife of our national soccer team team Clemens Westerhoff, former model and owner of modelling agency.  To look at her, her beauty - she's always perfectly grromed, her confidence, her openness with her status. i'd want to be like her if i werent so shy :D

Offline Veritee

• Post Natal Illness Support
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 08:16:07 am »
It is early days for me

But so far my inspiration has been the strong, positve and proactive women I have met online.
And in the last week the only two other women with HIV I have ever met in person.

So my Inspiration is other women with HIV

I have met so many wonderful women online - especialy and mostly here.
However it was really great to meet two HIV Poz women face to face this week and to find.............

Both were so strong, so emotionally positive and determined not to let this thing beat them or stop them leading the life they choose, both were over 50 - one in fact 60 years old, both looked great - my daughter remarked that they both looked much younger and fitter than me and they looked in their 40s!!!!!!  and I am 55, and one of those women is 60 ans she looked really good.

They are both physically very fit and healthy and have energy ( I have lacked energy I realise now since seroconversion and have just not felt 'right' although I did not know it was that then)  Both work, one full time in a very pressured job one still has children at home and is the breadwinner, both lead busy lives and they can cope with it all

Both have had a much harder time with HIV than I have ever have, so far which included:

illness, lost loved ones, financial difficulties, housing difficulties, bad side effects from earlier drugs, abusive partners, loneliness, discrimination from those they told and communities  ( they did not both suffer all this, I just listing  the sorts of things they had gone through)

Yet they are still positive in their attitude

You all give me hope here and those women I have now met face to face have reinforced this hope and insparation.

They give me hope that once my meds are sorted out that perhaps I wil feel better, have more energy and get back some of the fitness and health I used to have and live well like they are

Veritee XX
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 08:23:17 am by Veritee »
I have a blog here, please do not judge me on what I say here- I need to offload and this is where I do it: http://hiv-and-us.blogspot.com/

Offline TreDai

• Miss Ohio Plus America 2008
    • my website
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 01:48:19 pm »
My Inspiration is a woman i have see as a Queen.I have known her for all of my life. She has battled HIV for 6 years without ever complaining let alone letting her children,friends and family know what she has been fighting for the last 6 years. This Queen  has always had much humbleness,strength and grace at all times and smiles no matter what happens. When I think I cannot go on she finds a why to push me further no matter how she is feeling at the time.She always has a song in her heart even when she was hospitalized she was singing in the ER and praising God for being so good to her even when it looked like time was at it's darkest for her! I want to be Like this Queen!! She inspires me to live my life the way the Lord wants me to and sets a good example for me to achieve it.
"Our people die because of a lack of knowledge"
 Miss Ohio Plus America 2008

Offline Victory101

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 03:33:05 am »
Wow, very inspiring stories. I especially liked Veritees description of the two ladies. My inspiration has got to be my two kids. They are still so young, and give me so much joy. I am in no hurry to leave them.  At my lowest points, I always pick myself up because of them. I want to do so much with and for them. Having faith in a living God also helps.

Offline med forum

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 08:48:25 am »
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.....I logged on this morning after not being on the boards for a while
and noticed that my thread was at the top.....I need to go back and read what everyone has written because
this last week has been a rough one for my boyfriend and I.......there's plenty of days when you just feel like
no matter what you do, it doesn't matter. Reading or hearing a good word may help me this morning....

I would love to hear more stories of inspiration and gratitude!
Peace & health

Offline med forum

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 07:57:19 pm »
I thought I would resurrect this post....I've really been down lately and would love to hear more inspirational stories. Please share yours! :)
Peace & health

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 09:42:24 pm »
Med, I know I shared a little bit about me.  I just wanted you to know I hope you get to feeling up a bit. :)

Offline camille07

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 11:23:07 am »
Hello-  What a nice thread.

My parents, especially my mom, are my greatest inspiration.  My father, as a child, was sent to live with his aunt because his mother couldn't afford to take care of both him and his brother after their father left them.  My mother was a single child whose mom was a nurse and terribly cruel.  Her father was a man left to watch her at night, which usually meaning her waiting in the car for hours as he was at the bar.  Even in the dead of winter with no heat.  My parents married and had 3 kids.  Both of them, working hard to support us.   I grew up with little drama in the house compared to many. My father adopted his younger brother (he is a year older than I) from his mom's second marriage after his parents both died.  So there were 4 kids in the house. My parents have always been loving and generous role models. They love each other greatly and have remained faithful partners through all the trials and tribulations in life. 

When I was diagnosed and disclosed, there was a short period of pain.  But a short time ago, when I was struggling mentally my folks really made me feel that I would get through this.  I asked my mom "are you ashamed of me"....and my mother grabbed my hands  and said we love you so much.  And my mom in her empowering  voice said, "as far as Hiv, we don't look at you any differently. You know we love unconditionally and what we see is a beautiful, intelligent, sweet girl who is capable of anything and achieving anything. 

I just think, gosh, I am so blessed.

Camms
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 11:24:48 am by camille07 »

Offline shotis

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 01:36:48 pm »
My greatest inspiration to me is my friend's six year old daughter who is HIV+, she is full of life and when I am about to give up on myself I think of the life this little girl exhibits; I encouraged by her  to get on with my own life.  The other inspiration is my own achievements, am looking for a job after completing a three year degree course.  having said this all you women have been inspirational in my life, all your positive stories and experiences have kept me sane for the last three years.  Please give yourselves a pat at the back for the wonderful things that you have done and yet to do to others who always look forward to reading and sharing further their stories.  You have been and always will be inspirational to me ladies... Thank you for the strength you have given me to continue living a happy life.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 01:42:54 pm by shotis »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.