Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:06:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 241
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 214
Total: 214

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Worried but think have reason to be  (Read 4062 times)

Offline Molehill

Worried but think have reason to be
« on: October 08, 2006, 08:24:33 pm »
Back in February i got "befriended" by some heroin addicts, in which i was completely drunk and ended up having a small amount of heroin injected through a shared needle. I gave my bank account number/card and they managed to withdraw all of it. As self-destruction went I was pretty good with alcohol but going down that line was going too far and hitting the self-destructive place that can't go any lower than injecting H brought an uplift. 

About 3 weeks later my left foot swelled and went red and purple and couldn't even walk on it - it was like walking on glass plus I couldn't even sleep under bed covers without pain. Not even exagerating the pain - was pretty much crippled but it went away after a week, though there's still pain with nerve endings or whatever it is, only on the left leg/foot/knee though, especially in the bath/shower and any other times when temperature rises or falls.

Have ordered a HIV home test from Mirates but for the past months have assumed that i may have it anyway. Problem is I may have Hepatitis C as well but can't get any home tests for that - in the country i live. The shared needle was from a proper old school junkie.

Guess i'll just have to wait for the Mirates test to come through the post.

Good luck in your life.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Worried but think have reason to be
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 02:40:10 am »
You had a risk of sharing works, but as for you foot pain, see a doctor. Please read the "Welcome" thread at the top of this forum.

Offline Darkfiber

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 03:59:05 am »
Hi Mole

Just for your information, the Mirates Home test is not FDA approved.

That being said, the Netherlands for example have approved the test. According to my information the test seems to be sensitive (ability to catch antibodies) but not highly specific (can lead to false positives).

Therefore in case (what I donīt believe) the test indicates a positive result you must confirm it with a second antibody test (by a doctors office) and confirmation test.

If it is negative after the windowperiod you can be confident with the result.

Regards

Darkfiber

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 05:43:29 am »
Mole,

You need to go to a doctor with your concerns. As a moderator here, I know what country you are posting from and I can tell you that you can test for both hiv and hep C confidentially and for free.

If your foot is the site of the injection, you need to get that seen to asap as it could lead to blood poisoning and all sorts of other very serious problems.

Stop messing around with trying to diagnose yourself and get to a doctor ASAP.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Molehill

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 10:11:18 am »
Hi, cheers for the replies.

The problem with my foot was it was just after, though that wasn't where the injection went and it had all the hallmarks of neuropathy. Even though the crippling stage went after a week there's still something wrong with the nerves.

Though you're right - get to a doctor! but I have agrophobia pretty bad and haven't left the house since June. Sent off for the Mirates kit last week so it should be here within a day or two so I may have to leave the house and get tested, depending on the result anyway- that will be the bigger ordeal rather than the actual test believe it or not, not that that's rational.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 11:02:07 am »
Mole,

As Darkfiber pointed out, the Mitrates test is not an approved test. It can be difficult to properly analyse the results of these test, with many people thinking they have a positive result when they do not. You'd be best off throwing it in the rubbish and going to your local GUM clinic for hiv and hep C testing and to your doctor for your foot.

What you describe with your foot sounds nothing like neuropathy in the slightest. Stop trying to diagnose yourself and get to the doctor. While your there, ask for a counseling referral to help you with your agoraphobia. You won't regret it.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.