Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:12:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773266
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 346
Total: 349

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: On Complera for ten days now  (Read 17108 times)

Offline sfguys

On Complera for ten days now
« on: May 28, 2014, 03:47:47 am »
Hi, just want to share my experiences on Complera after 10 days of medication. My partner and I both don't have any significant side effects. I felt a little bit nausea a couple of times within the first week. It happened several hours after taking the medicine. But the nausea was really not bad at all. My partner have not had any side effects so far. Keep our fingers crossed.

I do feel it is a little bit inconvenient to take the medicine with meals, mainly due to the privacy issue. I normally take the medicine during dinner time. It would not be convenient if I am going out with friends for dinner and have dinner with my family. I think that may be why a lot of people like Atripla. I would have gone for Atripla, if not for the potential side effects people discussed in this forum.

My initial VL is pretty low, only 1730. My doctor said my body was doing a good job in controlling the virus. Now with the medicine, hopefully my VL will go undetectable soon.

Offline eric48

• Standard
Re: On Complera for ten days now
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 04:48:30 am »
I was discussing meds with my doc at last visit and options ... I was offered Complera (aka Eviplera). Doc was quite enthousisatic about it, but, I do not want to change away from Viramune.

I just told my doc that I did not want to bother about meals (family, customers, coworkers) and I am content with my Viramune when I wake up

BTW, I would not mind a change from Kivexa to Truvada and I was asking my doc if I could change Kivexa for Truvada. He raised his eyes and said that I would then be facing a different set of side effects (and change in follow up and screening tests), bla, bla. So he was not so much in favor of...

Then, I reminded him that Complera, which he was so enthousiastic about a minute ago, is Truvada + Rilpivirine

So the dicussion was inconclusive and I am still on V&K (Viramune /Kivexa)

I was happy that I remembered this 'food requirement' that I had learned here... Because for me that could become embarrassing in a professionnal context

Truvada has no food requirement. It has a slightly higher dose of TDF than Viread (TDF alone). Viread has  'food requirement'.

So I assume the food requirement is for Rilpivirine (found alone in Edurant, which has the food requirement also) ... Not for the other molecules

If the food requirement is a problem for you, you may want to remember than , once UD for a while, say, 6 months or a year, it is debated whether the third drug is that much necessary.

So, after 6 months or a year in treatment, not taking Complera on food, but taking it nonetheless, on occasions, should be safe enough

That 's what I say... Not what I'd do... I personnally, if I were on Complera and tolerating it well enough, I would give Viramune a try once UD and no more treatment naive and see if I'd fare better. Which I won't, since I am on it already ;-)

Eric

modified to add: Rilpivirine Half life is 34-55 hours after oral administration, so , on occasion, slightly lowered dose should not affect steady state concentration
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 04:55:27 am by eric48 »
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline vertigo

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 02:08:59 pm »
Hi SF guys,

Glad to hear that you're on meds and doing well.  I'm sure you'll be UD in no time.

The meal requirement with Complera is probably its biggest downside.  It doesn't have to be with dinner, though.  It's not that hard to come up with a 400 calorie meal if you wanted to do it at breakfast or lunch, instead.

Best wishes.

Offline BKKKevin

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 04:58:50 pm »
Hey SFGuys...
Good to hear you are doing well... You are over the hump... I am also on Complera and had the same minor side effects... but I'm on week four and they have all but faded...

I just got my first blood test after 3 weeks on the drug and my viral load went from 88,000 to 650... so i'm well I'm well on the way to undetectable...

BTW - I'll report on buying meds in Bangkok after Friday

Offline Reggie

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 08:17:40 pm »
Hello

Is complera as it comes in the single pill form sold in Bangkok and if so what is the cost? I ask as am currently on Atripla and doing well except for sleep problems so looking into possible future options. I also get my meds in Bangkok. Thanks for any information.

Reggie

Offline zach

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 08:50:57 pm »
Is complera as it comes in the single pill form sold in Bangkok and if so what is the cost?

complera= tenofovir + emtricabine + riplivirine. not available single dose in bkk

tenofovir + emtric = imported brand truvada, and locally made brand ricovir.  at thai red cross.

riplivirine is not yet approved for use in thailand, but i think will be in "near" future. edurant i believe is the same thing? local made. possibly available at trc

don't listen too closely to me though, been a long time since i was over there, but have thought of going back for a stretch and did a little informal research. contact trc directly, and work out any generic equivalents with a dr so no surprises

(by locally made, i don't necessarily mean thailand)

Offline Reggie

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 11:09:14 pm »
Thanks for the information, I will find out more with next visit with Doctor. Thanks again

Offline sfguys

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 12:40:45 am »
Complera is not available as single pill in Thailand. But I was told it is available as Truvada and Edurant as two pills. BKKkevin is going to confirm this in a few days and hopefully he can report back with good news.

I am also planning to buy Truvada and Edurant in Thailand, mainly as a safety reserve first.

For the meal requirement of Complera, I am thinking of taking the medicine during breakfast so that I don't have to worry about it during lunch or dinner time. The only problem is that I sometimes oversleep and don't have breakfast or have a light breakfast, like a piece of bread or two pierces of biscuits. My doctor actually recommended her patients to take Complera with breakfast. Just have to weigh pros and cons.

Hello

Is complera as it comes in the single pill form sold in Bangkok and if so what is the cost? I ask as am currently on Atripla and doing well except for sleep problems so looking into possible future options. I also get my meds in Bangkok. Thanks for any information.

Reggie
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 12:42:59 am by sfguys »

Offline BKKKevin

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 05:48:15 am »
Yes today I went with my USA doctors prescription to the Bangkok Red Cross Clinic and was able to buy a six month supply of Truvada and Edurant for the princely sum of $230!... It took all of an hour mainly because I had to sign up as a member which required I fill our a questionnaire... But now I have a membership card and next time it should only take 15 minutes or so!... here is a link to all the drugs available there:

http://www.adamslove.org/en-d.php?id=73

Also they do Genotypic Resistance, CD4 & Viral Load testing

http://www.adamslove.org/en-d.php?id=7

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 05:23:58 pm »
Thanks Kevin for the links

I' have not looked into my lab cost chart but on top of my head not so much different from what I pay (or our Socialized health system pays) , which makes sense since this now very automated and equipment cost is nearly same all over the world

Which confirms what I found recently : prices in US are way too high (at least list prices...)

Now when it comes to medication, it blows my mind...

Of course, I am not going to BKK to get meds that I can get for free here... BUT at the hidden cost of RED TAPE : so much paper we have to fill, and can only get 30 days, so have to call the pharmacy, order, go there... It is not there go again... Of course, I have now trained my Pharmacist to the level of service I expect for the money that is being spent, but still...

One day I'll stop over and get myself a 6 months supply and let my Pharmacist handle the logistics for refills.

Eric

Modified to add: the price of GENERIC NVP, here, is 15 times that of BKK !

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 05:31:46 pm by eric48 »
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline initforlife

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 11:47:44 am »
Oh this is so new to me I just want to scream sometimes.. Ok I found  out I was pos in march got first numbers in April from blood work  only thing I was told was vl and cd4  vl was 7000 and cd4 was 850 id dr wanted to start me on med right away so I agree been on   complera since  4/25/14 only side affects to me is ringing in the ears and dizzy at times.. I go back tomorrow for first post meds blood work.  What questions should I be asking ?  I know nothing of what to ask and what is important! ty this site has help me out a lot! Oh another question I can not take that big horse pill whole so been breaking in half I have not read anywhere that is hurts taking it this way does anyone know?
sometimes it is best to say nothing at all. then to offend

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 06:32:57 pm »
... this site has help me out a lot! Oh another question I can not take that big horse pill whole so been breaking in half I have not read anywhere that is hurts taking it this way does anyone know?

You're welcome

Helped me a lot too !

Trying to reimburse by helping others, which, from time to time I hope I can

breaking, or even better, chewing... is was I would do if I had to take a drug , that I should usually take on food, and there is no food scheduled (eg. you realize before going to bed that you have forgotten the pill)

If breaking is not a good idea, then the manufacturer will (most likely) write this on the label. Read your label. My Kivexa has that...Some pills are manufactured 'large' on purpose... If not 'forbidden' by the label, then should be OK on occasion

My Kivexa is too large too... I take it with a sip of water. If no water at hand (once I was in a train...) I do like you said.

So that is a good question for your doctor

Ringing in the ears. I have had that but forgot to ask doc. At one point my BP was going up (it is now back to normal) and ringing has stopped.

Other than that... 

You should soon be on a twice yearly visit schedule. That is not a lot... I even tease my Doc about that

Eric

Offline Live040314

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 08:20:59 am »
Myself and my (ex) partner both started complera on 4/27/14, the meal requirement is annoying. I hate having to eat on command just to take a pill but I tell myself to just swallow the food. Our first post treatment labs came back and his were VL 15000 to 64 and CD4 436 to 444. Mine were 12000 to 173 and VL 736 to 680. The medication works great, we have both experienced no side effects and didn't really have any questions, we are just letting it do it's thing and not worrying too much about it at this point. We both go back in 3 months. Hope this helps in some way.
4/3/14 Diagnosed
4/10/14 Initial Labs VL 12000, CD4 736 (30%)
4/27/14 Started Complera
6/10/14 VL 173, CD4 680 (34%)
7/31/14 VL <20, CD4 795 (34%)
10/31/14 VL <20, CD4 809 (32%)
3/9/15 VL <20, CD4 615 (38%)
4/23/15 VL <20, CD4 791 (39%)
9/16/15 VL <20, CD4 840 (34%)
4/18/16 VL <20, CD4 1062 (29%)
5/1/16 Started Odefsey

Offline BKKKevin

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 09:22:20 am »
The meal requirement does not bother me as I have a regular dinnertime... I had only minor side effects the first week - mild headaches and a warm fullness an hour after taking the pill... these have faded... I did have bout of a bad headache last night... I chalked this up to eating a healthy salad for diner that was not really filling... Now I keep a bag of Ruffles at home so if diner out is not up to the fat content required I can full in with the chips when i get home ;-)... I am very happy - as i said i have no side effects after ~ 6 weeks... now I am not sure if i have taken it without the mild  side effects... I had my viral load checked at the 3 weeks mark and i went from a native VL 88K to 650...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 09:27:46 am by BKKKevin »

Offline initforlife

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 05:00:23 pm »
Happy Happy Happy.  complera is my new  bff.   Got my first post meds blood results today.  VL is 63 CD4 975     that's after being on meds for a little over a month  Dr thinks might be allergies causing the ringing in my ears or one of my other meds that i'm on  makes sense. anyway  don't go back for three months.! Now I can relax again !  Once again ty for this site. I was a mess at first and I calm down after reading some of this. but some of the hiv sites sure did scare the heck out of me  think one can over load the brain if not to careful. 

Offline zach

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 05:23:52 pm »
Happy Happy Happy.  complera is my new  bff.   Got my first post meds blood results today.  VL is 63 CD4 975     that's after being on meds for a little over a month  Dr thinks might be allergies causing the ringing in my ears or one of my other meds that i'm on  makes sense. anyway  don't go back for three months.! Now I can relax again !  Once again ty for this site. I was a mess at first and I calm down after reading some of this. but some of the hiv sites sure did scare the heck out of me  think one can over load the brain if not to careful.

+1

Offline initforlife

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2014, 01:37:44 pm »
I wanted to add I know that the food requirement  is a lot and I wasn't one to eat breakfast and I decided to take this pill in the mornings as that's when I'm not so busy and my pill planner is right beside the coffee pot.   so to get the required calories or close to them I eat a peanut butter sandwich with honey and cinnamon so its not so bad I also wanted to say I'm also on blood thinners blood sugar and blood pressure meds no  reaction with the complera .

Offline sfguys

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2014, 12:24:09 pm »
I changed my meds time from dinner time to breakfast time. I am very happy with the change. When I took the meds during dinner time, I got nervous when I had to have dinner with others. I ended up going to restroom to take the med which is not fun.

Now with breakfast, I can't skip breakfast any more and I also need to have a big breakfast which is supposed to be good. By taking the meds with breakfast, I am living a healthier lifestyle.

One thing I do miss before taking med is I stopped losing weight. Not sure if it is because of the med, or I am not that stressed any more. I lost about 5 pounds since I was infected. For years it was difficult for me to lose weight so I know it is either because of the virus or because I was stressful. Now with medicine I am not losing weight any more and I might be gaining one or two pounds.  Anyone has similar experience?

Offline initforlife

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 10:39:28 am »
I have not gained on this meds I have lost so far. but that being said I'm working hard at losing with diet and exercising . That's one reason I decided to take meds in the morning with the 400 calories required it was easier to work off then late afternoon or even early eve.  on a side note  do any of you second guess yourself for starting meds so soon?  I mean I wasn't sick and my numbers were very good and yet I jumped right into the meds with in weeks of finding out I had hiv. now I find my self wondering if I did the right thing!

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 12:09:52 pm »
... on a side note  do any of you second guess yourself for starting meds so soon?  I mean I wasn't sick and my numbers were very good and yet I jumped right into the meds with in weeks of finding out I had hiv. now I find my self wondering if I did the right thing!

Interesting question... I have always suspected my meds to contribute to my anxiety disorder... But... Not taking the meds might have been worse in that dept. At least going onmeds early gave me time to learn.
I had never been sick before and have been only so-so for the first 3 y. of treatment. It is getting better lately... As I am one of those who might have opt for deferred treatment, I am also among the group who can afford interrupting treatment (Nadir is 500, current 1100)

But, I don't do it... ARVs are no aspirin in my book, but much easier than I thought.

Treatment should be a more acceptable proposal to those who are not in immediate need if you tell them they can opt out after a year or 2. And, then, they finally stay on...

So, I do not have seconds thoughts, as far as I am concerned. If my CD4 had been 700ish and VL 5000ish I would have waited ... Or may be not... The bug scares me

Eric

Offline Reggie

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2014, 01:26:40 pm »
I have not gained on this meds I have lost so far. but that being said I'm working hard at losing with diet and exercising . That's one reason I decided to take meds in the morning with the 400 calories required it was easier to work off then late afternoon or even early eve.  on a side note  do any of you second guess yourself for starting meds so soon?  I mean I wasn't sick and my numbers were very good and yet I jumped right into the meds with in weeks of finding out I had hiv. now I find my self wondering if I did the right thing!

now you've started no reason to question your decision, as its something that cant be changed and your protecting any partner in the correct way of limiting the chance of infecting.

That said I wonder if I'd had the choice whether I'd of opted to?!! I found out I was poz only when I was ill with PCP, a huge viral load , and low cd4's. my Doctor didnt have to ask if- only that she needed to start me ASAP after running all the other tests to see if I'd developed any other OI's.

Also your saving your immune system from being destroyed any more than it has to be by having the virus under control.There is alot now know and unknown about hiv, all the research is pointing now to starting when your cd4's are higher than they used to start.

I wish you all the best.

Reggie

Offline initforlife

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2014, 05:01:34 pm »
Been on complera since 4/25/14  How is  everyone doing?  I seem to be having some anxiety  and maybe lite depression really not sure what is going on with me.  I'm all over the place with emotions. One day I cry next I'm happy today Seems worse when I'm a lone and thinking about stuff so not sure if it's the meds me or maybe I'm just going crazy? and if I'm going crazy would I know? and is there and app for that? I have never ever been depressed before I have always been and out going people person  so not sure what is up unless all this finally hit me?  anyone else feeling this way?

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2014, 05:07:15 pm »
Give it time...

My anxiety disorder is not finished but greatly improved recently

After 4 years, though....

Mobile.eric

Offline gadawg1979

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2014, 01:53:58 am »
I was discussing meds with my doc at last visit and options ... I was offered Complera (aka Eviplera). Doc was quite enthousisatic about it, but, I do not want to change away from Viramune.

I just told my doc that I did not want to bother about meals (family, customers, coworkers) and I am content with my Viramune when I wake up

BTW, I would not mind a change from Kivexa to Truvada and I was asking my doc if I could change Kivexa for Truvada. He raised his eyes and said that I would then be facing a different set of side effects (and change in follow up and screening tests), bla, bla. So he was not so much in favor of...

Then, I reminded him that Complera, which he was so enthousiastic about a minute ago, is Truvada + Rilpivirine

So the dicussion was inconclusive and I am still on V&K (Viramune /Kivexa)

I was happy that I remembered this 'food requirement' that I had learned here... Because for me that could become embarrassing in a professionnal context

Truvada has no food requirement. It has a slightly higher dose of TDF than Viread (TDF alone). Viread has  'food requirement'.

So I assume the food requirement is for Rilpivirine (found alone in Edurant, which has the food requirement also) ... Not for the other molecules

If the food requirement is a problem for you, you may want to remember than , once UD for a while, say, 6 months or a year, it is debated whether the third drug is that much necessary.

So, after 6 months or a year in treatment, not taking Complera on food, but taking it nonetheless, on occasions, should be safe enough

That 's what I say... Not what I'd do... I personnally, if I were on Complera and tolerating it well enough, I would give Viramune a try once UD and no more treatment naive and see if I'd fare better. Which I won't, since I am on it already ;-)

Eric

modified to add: Rilpivirine Half life is 34-55 hours after oral administration, so , on occasion, slightly lowered dose should not affect steady state concentration

I am on a staten that has to be taken with a meal... I keep both of them in the case put them in my hand and make a joke about having to take my cholesterol med.
Diagnosed March 2012
Initial CD4- 156 VL 200K (started Complera) Genotype test no resistance
First labs on meds CD4- 246 VL 2K Taken after 30 days on Complera
90 Day labs VL 306 No CD4 Drawn
8/21/2012 CD4 474 VL Undetectable (40) %20.6
11/27/2012 CD 4 522 VL Undetectable (40)
2/14/2013 CD 4 464 VL Undetecable (30) 19.6%
6/8/3013 CD 4 528 VL Undetectable (30)
9/24/2013 CD 4 546 VL Undetectable (40)
1/30/2014 CD4 560 VL Undetectable (40) 22 %
6/19/2014 CD4 584 Vl Undetecable (30)

Offline initforlife

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2014, 09:47:32 am »
I'm going to ask as serious as I can because I do not know  I have been on this meds since April something.  I  Feel like I'm so bipolar now I'm  happy one day crying the next thinking if it wasn't for my kids I would so leave this world. but I'm not selfish and taking one life is a selfish act..  Is this me or is this complera fucking with my head? I don't know how does one tell if it is just life or me or the damn pill sinking fast with no way out!  or maybe I'm just fucking crazy!

Offline gadawg1979

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2014, 12:30:55 am »
I'm going to ask as serious as I can because I do not know  I have been on this meds since April something.  I  Feel like I'm so bipolar now I'm  happy one day crying the next thinking if it wasn't for my kids I would so leave this world. but I'm not selfish and taking one life is a selfish act..  Is this me or is this complera fucking with my head? I don't know how does one tell if it is just life or me or the damn pill sinking fast with no way out!  or maybe I'm just fucking crazy!

Nope its the meds mine after two years have started to put me their so I guess it is time to change or go on a happy pill for me.
Diagnosed March 2012
Initial CD4- 156 VL 200K (started Complera) Genotype test no resistance
First labs on meds CD4- 246 VL 2K Taken after 30 days on Complera
90 Day labs VL 306 No CD4 Drawn
8/21/2012 CD4 474 VL Undetectable (40) %20.6
11/27/2012 CD 4 522 VL Undetectable (40)
2/14/2013 CD 4 464 VL Undetecable (30) 19.6%
6/8/3013 CD 4 528 VL Undetectable (30)
9/24/2013 CD 4 546 VL Undetectable (40)
1/30/2014 CD4 560 VL Undetectable (40) 22 %
6/19/2014 CD4 584 Vl Undetecable (30)

Offline BKKKevin

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2014, 05:52:49 am »
"Nope it's the meds..."

Depression is a complicated thing...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 05:55:16 am by BKKKevin »

Offline sfguys

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2014, 12:54:13 pm »
I agree. I am on Complera for one and half month now. I don't feel it is causing anything. But sometimes I do feel a little bit down. In that case, I tell myself it may be the drug is fucking with my brain and I should get out of those unhappy thoughts and feel better. It usually works.

"Nope it's the meds..."

Depression is a complicated thing...

Offline Dan0

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2014, 01:08:08 pm »
Just be certain that it's the meds!  If you're recently diagnosed, recently started pills, or having relationship issues because of a diagnosis - then who wouldn't be %#$@#$ up? 

I'm just putting it out there that a month and a half or two months doesn't seem like a very good length of time to come to be absolute that it's the meds and not everything else compounding the situation - particularly when you only recently were diagnosed and recently started medication.  After several months - yes. If you were already feeling horrible two months ago with everything else going on, you may be asking your doctor to switch one set of problems for another. 
"Honey, you should never ask advice from a drunk drag queen who has a show to do." - JG

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
10/2013 Stribild Still UD
04/2016 Genvoya UD

Offline initforlife

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2014, 02:10:10 pm »
I really don't know that's why I was asking . I wanted to know if anyone else was slowing getting more and more depressed on this med, anyway I have been thinking the last few days I have made a mistake I shouldn't have ever started this yet I had great numbers. I really never thought about at the time was just doing what dr said. I didn't know much about hiv or meds or anything at all really. Now I just want me back the happy out going person I was before March fucking  8 when my world came crashing down!  So whats worse having Hiv slowing killing my body and I could be fine for the next ten years . who is to say ? or knowing that every time you are alone it wouldn't take much to end it all?  Yes I'm scare every day That I will do something stupid I have planned it over and over in my head many times. but as far as telling anyone other then strangers no I will never for one I don't want to be locked up thinking I'm crazy ! I don't know how long it takes for the meds to mess up your mind again  that's why I'm asking

Offline Dan0

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2014, 02:28:12 pm »
Yes I'm scare every day That I will do something stupid I have planned it over and over in my head many times. but as far as telling anyone other then strangers no I will never for one I don't want to be locked up thinking I'm crazy ! I don't know how long it takes for the meds to mess up your mind again  that's why I'm asking

I would venture that his is NOT the meds - that you have issues before you started taking the meds and those are the issues you should be dealing with.

When you say that you don't know 'how long it takes for the meds to mess up your mind again' - what do you mean?  'Again' refers that you had some exposure to some type of medication before?  There is no egg timer on the medication.  IF the medication/certain types of medication will affect a person depression or mood swings, there is no absolute time period that it will occur but generally it doesn't happen immediately after taking them and in many, many instances (as you have read through the boards), it doesn't happen at all. 

"Honey, you should never ask advice from a drunk drag queen who has a show to do." - JG

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
10/2013 Stribild Still UD
04/2016 Genvoya UD

Offline initforlife

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2014, 02:35:58 pm »
I guess the last few months I have went into a depressed mood for other reasons then this meds.  I HAVE NEVER BEEN DEPRESSED BEFORE EVER TILL THIS LAST FEW MONTHS..  Who am I kidding  I'm just nuts! Just had it confirmed here why bother anymore?

Offline le_liseur

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2014, 02:50:37 pm »
I've been on Complera for exactly a year yesterday (and I didn't even realize it was my medanniversary ! lol) I've had zero side-effects and I would suggest you to consult with a psychologist before you think the meds are causing depressive symptoms.

It's normal you feel depressed after your diagnosis ; it's still not long ago. But it will settle back to normal, don't worry! :)

Also, when you say you're depressed, how does that translate into everyday life? Do you spend the whole day in bed, unable to do anything else? Or do you get sad because you start thinking about specific things (your HIV status, family issues, relationship issues, etc.) ? :)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2014, 03:32:10 pm »
All good things to consider . Complera is in the same class of meds as Atripla so its not out of the question that it could be responsible for depression and loss of hope .

From our very own lessons concerning complera ...
Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you have: kidney disease; liver disease (including hepatitis B); or bone problems. In addition, tell your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant; if you are breast feeding, and all your medical conditions, including if you have ever had mental illness or are using drugs or alcohol , if you have ever had seizures or are taking medications for seizures.

http://www.aidsmeds.com/archive/Complera_2646.shtml

If this drug can exacerbate mental health issues I would think since its in the class of drugs as Atripla it not too far of a stretch to examine closely any changes in mood or mental health if you are on it regardless if you have suffered it before treatment .

It definitely something to be brought to your doctors attention and given great weight if you feel this is the cause of your symptoms .   
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 03:50:06 pm by Jeff G »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline initforlife

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2014, 04:36:48 pm »
Thank sJeff, Yep I went and looked on this site under treatment after you posted this and I didn't ever realize that it was in the same class as Atripla  and has some of the same side effects. I'm going to try and stick it out a little longer and see. but I swear I scare even myself at times with all this anger depression and just mood swings it is unreal.  It is not every day but most days I have to make myself get up get dressed and do something. not like me at all. I just don't want the dr to add another pill to all the meds I'm on now.  I finally got rid of the dizziness that new blood pressure med was causing that. drop it down so low it's a wonder I'm still here. but anyway I'm a very strong person this will not beat me in my mind body or soul it may have me kicked down for awhile but I know even if I have to change meds I will not let this win ever!  Thanks again for putting up with my venting and at times bitching.  Y'all really have been a great help to me !

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2014, 05:35:56 pm »
The good news is there are other hassle free other wonderfully effective treatment options for you and the best part is if you do switch meds down the line the side effects from your current combo will fade almost overnight in almost all cases .

When I was on chemo they gave me steroids and I didn't realize some of the unlike me complete rages I was going through were med related . I still had to take the steroids but for some reason just knowing that the steroids were having that effect on me helped me to not act out in inappropriate ways due to them . Im not saying tough it out forever but it may help knowing that some of the despair you are feeling is not your new normal for you and that in time it will abate or you will switch meds and fix the problem .... one way or the other you will sort this out in the next little while .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline sfguys

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2014, 02:14:17 pm »
I just learned from my doctor that my VL has gone undetectable. My CD4 has increased from around 650 to 780 and CD% from 25.6 to 30. Knowing Complera may not be as strong as Atripla, I wasn't expecting my VL will go undetectable in just 2 months so I am very happy with the result. My VL was pretty low to start with though.

My partner's VL is 25, very close to UD. His initial VL was around 46,000. His other numbers are very similar to mine. We were having a nice dinner to celebrate the good news. Couldn't believe how much we have gone through for the past 4 months since we found out our status. But we both agree what we have gone through has made us stronger and closer.

Offline zach

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2014, 02:19:55 pm »
I just learned from my doctor that my VL has gone undetectable. My CD4 has increased from around 650 to 780 and CD% from 25.6 to 30. Knowing Complera may not be as strong as Atripla, I wasn't expecting my VL will go undetectable in just 2 months so I am very happy with the result. My VL was pretty low to start with though.

My partner's VL is 25, very close to UD. His initial VL was around 46,000. His other numbers are very similar to mine. We were having a nice dinner to celebrate the good news. Couldn't believe how much we have gone through for the past 4 months since we found out our status. But we both agree what we have gone through has made us stronger and closer.

everything about that post is great!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.