Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 10:30:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 152
Total: 152

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Future  (Read 1929 times)

Offline RobbyR

The Future
« on: June 28, 2014, 11:01:47 am »
Has anyone heard that song "The Future" by Leonard Cohen? This man is one of my idols and inspirations his music is poetry to me and listening to him has helped me in some very hard times. In an age of crap that passes for music, I listen to Leonard when I need easy listening, validation, or social commentary. He's basically the coolest guy ever, he belts out those beautiful biting lyrics with that smooth throaty voice and plus he loves fedora hats. My two favorite LC albums are "Im Your Man" & "The Future". Most people my age (early 30s) seem to prefer mindless crap by Miley Cyrus or Lada Gaga but give me Johnny Cash Leonard Cohen Tom Waits or some BB King anyday.

Watching the news and seeing how the whole planet seems to be falling apart, it's like we're living Leonard's song "The Future". Never-ending wars, stagnant economy, immense wealth gaps, & disease..and disasters due to climate change..it seems politics is broken and controlled by corporations people have zero voices anymore. Leonard's song The Future recorded in 1993 seemed to predict much of this chaos, the lyrics go, "Ive seen the future brother, it is murder"..Leonard was right..the old world died and the new one was born, and injustice has only grown.

Another of Leonard's songs, "Everybody Knows", sums it up, "Everybody Knows, the boat is leaking, everybody knows, the captain lied...everybody knows the dice are loaded...everybody rolls with their fingers crossed.."

Everytime I watch the news which I mostly avoid, I see nothing but war, disaster, and gridlock. And I don't see it improving. The 21st century is going to be one hell of an unstable ride I think that's clear. There is a rising sense of outrage at how sellout politicians in both parties are owned by corporations and as a result sectionalism and nationalism are rising. Actually I hope for the best but I'm very pessimistic because nothing is being done to address income inequality climate change and unfair trade deals.

What we're seeing is essentially global chaos and fractionalism and Leonard Cohen predicted it in his music just as great poets do.."The Future" is indeed murder it would seem based on everything that's going on.
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline Jmarksto

Re: The Future
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 12:05:01 pm »
Leonard Cohen is one of my favorites! 

We saw him in concert last year  - what a performance, he put his heart and soul into every song.  The guy has an amazing story too, his financial manager bilked him out of his retirement and needed to start producing again -- another story of putting your trust in someone that violates that trust, but Cohen rises above the and shows compassion,  here is his comment on his manager's arrest:

Cohen told that court, "It gives me no pleasure to see my onetime friend shackled to a chair in a court of law, her considerable gifts bent to the services of darkness, deceit, and revenge. It is my prayer that Ms. Lynch will take refuge in the wisdom of her religion, that a spirit of understanding will convert her heart from hatred to remorse, from anger to kindness, from the deadly intoxication of revenge to the lowly practices of self-reform."

how poetic...
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 12:22:18 pm »
He's one of my favorites if not my favorite. Such a handsome, eloquent artist and his music soothes and moves me like no other. His song The Future was so dead on we're now basically living his prediction of a chaotic, destructive future.

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 03:22:12 pm »
Love Leonard Cohen's music.

The Future (w/lyrics)

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnaxvBsyigM

-------

My fave: Hallelujah (w/lyrics)

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVP52dC3jks

Awesome rendition by K.D. Lang

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_NpxTWbovE

:)  :)
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline zach

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 03:56:20 pm »
giving me head, on the unmade bed

best line ever

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 04:20:29 pm »
The man is a poet and a genius. His Austin City Limits concerts are brilliant. He has gotten me through some hard times.

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.