Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:52:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 319
Total: 322

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: LTS who have dipped <100 CD4 or were diagnosed <100 at the time of diagnosis  (Read 13117 times)

Offline LikeaRock

Hey guys, as always thank you for your responses. I wanted to track some peoples CD4 stats on here who have been able to "break the barrier" of the common prognosis that "once you fall below <100 CD4 or were <100 CD4 at the time of diagnosis, that statistically,  you will hover around 200-450 CD4 the rest of your life.

How many of you out there that have had an aids diagnosis at one point in time, are >500 CD4? I'm 6 months into my meds, diagnosed in Oct with PCP and CD4 of 44. Hoping to "break the barriers".

Please share your results, and how long it took you to get there. If your numbers are listed in your sig, thats fine too!

Thanks so much guys! I just want to know there is hope- I know everyone is different, but I SOOOOO want to get above 500- even if the difference between 400-500 is minimal in nature.

Offline LikeaRock

btw, my personal counts now as of Feb 1st are CD4 185 VL undetectable. Med- Atripla. Sure I'm over 200 now, but no labs scheduled until April.

Offline lipoenvy

My CD4 count was <100 1993 - first half of 1996 (when I started a protease inhibitor). 

Lowest count was 18 (2%), June 1996. 

Most recent counts have been
644 (29%) Dec 2009
512 (28%) Jan 2010

Lisa, have I shown you my box of shattered dreams?  It's upstairs in my disappointment closet.
--Marge Simpson

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Hi,

I have no idea, what my CD 4 count was, when I was diagnosed positive in 1985.  What I do know, in 1999, My CD4 count was in the mid 900 range.

Between 1999 and 2003 My tcells dropped to 16, and I was officially diagnosed with aids.  I was never on any treatment prior to October of 2003.

These are my numbers since that time ( 2003)

Starting from 10/2003 to 12/02/09, :

10/15/03 --CD4 ---16 (started meds)

12/3/03----CD4----48

1/7/04-----CD4-----76

2/18/04---CD4-----87

3/31/04---CD4-----125

5/17/04---CD4-----139

6/28/04---CD4-----150

8/30/04---CD4----199

11/08/04-CD4----253

2/7/05----CD4----239

5/16/05---CD4---213

8/16/05---CD4---333

11/15/05--CD4--328

2/14/06---CD4---279

5/16/06---CD4--350

7/12/06---CD4--322

10/11/06--CD4---286

1/11/07---CD4---332

4/19/07---CD4---380

8/15/07---CD4---366

11/05/07---CD4---295

1/14/08---CD4---303

4/21/08--CD4---379

7/22/08--CD4---327

10/13/08--CD4--323

1/15/09--CD4---331

4/14/09--CD4---295

7/14/09---CD4---352

10/19/09--CD4----355

12/02/09--cd4----392

I've had blood test taken on February 22nd,09,  those results will be discussed on March 29.  Still not sure what those results are yet. They haven'y called me, so I figure no news is good news.  We'll See !

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline boomer

I tested positive in 1985. My CD4 count ranged between 850 - 600 through 1999. I developed PCP, AIDS Wasting, Thrush in 2007 with a CD4  of 54. Started Lexiva, Epzicom and Norvir December 2007.
Now undetectable VL with CD4 of 350ish.

Cheers,

Boomer

Offline LikeaRock

JRE:

This is TRULY an interesting case you have. I mean- you went 14 years with those high of CD4's, (which would have left me to believe your a short term progressor) then, in those last 3 years, you lost 80% of your CD4? Holy shit, that was like the virus replicating 5x as fast to catch up to all the years your own immune system apparantly suppresed the replication and left you with such high numbers.

Thank you for your sharing and good luck on your March results!

Boomer: I'm curious... if your CD4 was tracked through '99- and you knew your counts, why have waited until you dipped so low and developed the OI's in 07 to start HAART?

Based on all your guys counts, I think the historical studies may be accurate and that I too, will probaly hover around your guys highest counts at this point. Based on my numbers at the time of diagnosis in Oct 09- I probably have been poz for maybe 7 years- although I never knew what my CD4 numbers were when I was neg. My best to all of you. I hope 20 years from now I'm as strong as you all have been. HIV isn't what really scares me- its the lipo, wasting, ect that can be associated with it- and I have a hard time believing my doc when he says "Oh your not gonna ever waste, or get Lipo- thats from the HIV meds of the 80 and early 90's, or people that smoke meth).  ???

Offline LikeaRock

Ray, also- what OI's have you had if any at all?

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
though you're really not supposed to be posting in the LTS forum ;),

I've known I was poz since 92. In all those years, I've only had a cd4 count over 300 two times (305, 311); but I also haven't been back into the hospital for over 11 years either. Sure it'd be great to have a higher amount of tcells; but having tcells that do the job is much more important. Quality not quantity is what you want to hope for.

plus there's all those other pesky issues like what was your baseline cd4 count before you were infected so you even know what is your average; that tcells amounts vary throughout the day (i believe 10am is the lowest and 10pm the highest or something really close to that); or that there's really no miracle treatment, med or supplement that will increase the cd4s; or that you can still get sick with some things (like hiv-related cancers) at an above 350 count.

Personally, if I were you, I wouldn't bother worrying too much about "breaking a nonexistent barrier". There's no barrier, just the fact that an immune system that severely damaged usually doesn't recover well. Break a leg and it might not set right. Have your car get wrecked and it might not ever drive quite the same again. Nothing's ever as good, once it's broken.  ;) I have hit lows of 5, 12, 69, 45 (the 5 was in the hospital with PCP), so I don't expect my tcells to ever recover to any great amount. But I eat right, exercise, quit smoking, and am very thankful my 242 current tcells are doing the job so well.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
though you're really not supposed to be posting in the LTS forum ;),

The moderators are most likely going to move this thread to another forum.  As Mike stated, your really not supposed to post in this forum, and i just realised you were diagnosed in 09.

But to answer your question,  I had Esophageal Candidiasis  around July of 03, also went through wasting, throughout 2003 and lost 30 plus pounds in 10 months, also developed bacterial pneumonia.Also had shingles.

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
LaR,

I've moved your thread into the Living forum as you should not be posting in the LTS forum.

There are Welcome threads at the top of some main sub-forum pages. You should read them before posting. Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline boomer

JRE:

Boomer: I'm curious... if your CD4 was tracked through '99- and you knew your counts, why have waited until you dipped so low and developed the OI's in 07 to start HAART?

Rock,

For a variety of reasons I stopped medical care and lab work in 2000. I fell into a major case of denial until I  developed OI's and was hospitalized for eight days in late 2007.

I agree with leatherman, It's not about quantity but quality. Achieving and maintaining an undetectable viral load is job #1 in my opinion. The rest is a matter of each individual, attitude / emotional health, diet, exercise, medications, sleep, stress, support etc.

Good luck to you and all here,

Boomer

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
I tested positive in 1985. My CD4 count ranged between 850 - 600 through 1999. I developed PCP, AIDS Wasting, Thrush in 2007 with a CD4  of 54. Started Lexiva, Epzicom and Norvir December 2007.
Now undetectable VL with CD4 of 350ish.

Cheers,

Boomer

It's stories like this (and Rodney's, amongst others) that make me nervous about my long-term slow-progressor status. My clinic asked me if I'd like to attend every four months instead of every three and I declined. Although it would be nice to have to get up at the crack of dawn to get to the airport on time less often, I wouldn't want to wait that long to make sure my numbers are still good. From what I've seen, it seems that when LTSP's numbers crash, they do so quickly and in spectacular fashion.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline boomer

It's stories like this (and Rodney's, amongst others) that make me nervous about my long-term slow-progressor status. My clinic asked me if I'd like to attend every four months instead of every three and I declined. Although it would be nice to have to get up at the crack of dawn to get to the airport on time less often, I wouldn't want to wait that long to make sure my numbers are still good. From what I've seen, it seems that when LTSP's numbers crash, they do so quickly and in spectacular fashion.

Ann,

You have a priceless advantage over and above many of us (almost) LTNPs past and present. It appears many, although I speak only for myself, fell into a false sense of security as years went by. One must keep in mind that an often common fact is that these diagnosis took place in the mid to late eighties when HIV was a sure death sentence. So in the early 90's when my doctor uttered the words "there is a chance you are a LTNP" I heard YOU ARE A LTNP!

So your priceless advantage is the knowledge and experience of time AND the good sense to keep on top  of your labs.

What is the longest LTNP recorded on "the books"?

Wishing you all the best,

Boomer

Offline skeebo1969

I'm not a LTS as I was infected in 2005 however, my numbers have bounced around quite a bit.  When I was diagnosed my Cd4's were 426 Vl 50,000.  I played the waiting game on the meds and really got myself hung up on some personal issues I was having at the time.  Suddenly in Sept 2006, after not being to the doctor in well over 6 months, I started having extreme fatigue and weight loss.  I was shocked to find that my numbers had plummented to 103.  Looking back I shouldn't have been surprised I was under an extreme amount of stress.

I was immediately put on Atripla and after a month my Cd4's was 334.  They got as high as 500+, then I did something terribly ill informed.  I switched meds, under the advice of my doctor due to issues with the Atripla.  Not taking things seriously put me in the hospital in July of 2008 with my numbers again below 200.

Went back on Atripla and my numbers have now routinely ranged in the 1000-1300 range.  I've since switched meds again and have not had any labs done yet other than a liver function test.

I don't know how my numbers get so high.  While I don't put anything necessarily bad into my body, I really don't eat when I am suppose to and I don't sleep like I should....  it must be all the coffee and cigarettes. ;)
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline boomer

I don't know how my numbers get so high.  While I don't put anything necessarily bad into my body, I really don't eat when I am suppose to and I don't sleep like I should....  it must be all the coffee and cigarettes. ;)

Skeebo,

I miss coffee AND cigarettes.

Boomer

Offline Grinch

I'm not considered a LTS here.  I was likely infected '88 - '90 during a period in which I was using IV drugs.  I've been married (and faithful) since 98 and drug free since 90.

I was diagnosed in 2004, VL >500,000, CD4 <50. My OI was Burkitts Lymphoma.
I was put on meds immediately. CD4 has increased every time with one exception where I dipped by 15%, a statistical anomaly most likely.

3 months ago I was at 680 CD4 with VL <75 in 6 years I've missed exactly 2 doses of meds.  1 of those was caught the following morning, I took my atripla then and went off to work.  Had a rough morning as my concentration was very poor.
Still waiting for last weeks results.

Exercise and diet change have had some positive effect on my numbers and a profound effect on my strength and energy level.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
I was diagnosed with AIDS and had several opportunistic infections. Here are my numbers (yearly averages):

Year     CD4     Viral load
1993     570      over 500,000

1994     255      over 500,000

1995     308      over 500,000

1996     175      68,720

1997     224      4,109

1998     117      8,524

1999      90      11,476

2000     130      21,106

2001     116      12,253

2002      87       69,699

2003     369     <400

2004     512      <400

2005     688     <400

2006     577     <400

2007     742     <50

2008     820     <50

2009     683     <50
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 04:05:28 pm by GSOgymrat »

Offline Etay1207

I just miss LTS status by 3 years. I was diagnosed in '99. My tcells were 52 last labs. I'm not on meds, so I don't expect my CD4's to be any higher than they were in Feb.  ::)
POZ since 1999
1/07 tcells: 530 vl: 72,922 7/07 tcells: 542 vl: 26,577
9/08 tcells: 339 vl: 56,120  7/09 tcells: 267 vl: 663,160
11/09 tcells: 71 vl: 498,670 2/10 tcells: 52 vl: 322,000
 no meds and feeling great!

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
I just miss LTS status by 3 years. I was diagnosed in '99. My tcells were 52 last labs. I'm not on meds, so I don't expect my CD4's to be any higher than they were in Feb.  ::)

Just curious, if you get PCP will you go on meds?

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
Thanks so much guys! I just want to know there is hope- I know everyone is different,

Yes! I am very different, and my numbers won't change your life to someone who gives a shit, so I aint sharing. 

Why do you guys all bite and spend far too much time giving people like this, who are monitoring a thread in absentia?  Waste of fucking time.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
Moffie, I don't understand your objection to someone asking us to post our CD4 count over time.

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
Moffie, I don't understand your objection to someone asking us to post our CD4 count over time.

Because Ford, my numbers aren't indicitive of anyone elses, since HIV is pretty much a personal thing to every "body", and the way a person lives, their level of depression, thier adherance, their amount of sleep, their work stress, their daily stress, how resistant their virus is, how the meds work in their body; all effect the numbers, so how mine do is no indication of how yours or anyone elses will do.  Simple science my friend.

This thread was authored to get some semblance of peace for someone who is newly infected and is looking for the LTS's numbers to give some hope.  He said it in the first post.  My numbers couldn't give anyone hope, because of the reasons above.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Ann,

You have a priceless advantage over and above many of us (almost) LTNPs past and present. It appears many, although I speak only for myself, fell into a false sense of security as years went by. One must keep in mind that an often common fact is that these diagnosis took place in the mid to late eighties when HIV was a sure death sentence. So in the early 90's when my doctor uttered the words "there is a chance you are a LTNP" I heard YOU ARE A LTNP!

So your priceless advantage is the knowledge and experience of time AND the good sense to keep on top  of your labs.

What is the longest LTNP recorded on "the books"?

Wishing you all the best,

Boomer

My doctor, until last November, always called me a long-term SLOW-progressor, not a LTNP. He decided last November that he now considers me a NON-progressor, but I am wary of agreeing with him and I refuse to become complacent. I've just known too many who had great numbers for years, but when they went south, they did so in a matter of months.

I'm not sure if anyone knows who might be on record as the longest surviving LTNP. They might know over at the Zephyr Foundation.

Why do you guys all bite and spend far too much time giving people like this, who are monitoring a thread in absentia?  Waste of fucking time.

This thread was authored to get some semblance of peace for someone who is newly infected and is looking for the LTS's numbers to give some hope.  He said it in the first post.  My numbers couldn't give anyone hope, because of the reasons above.

I have to disagree that it is a waste of time to post number histories. For one thing, I would probably be more inclined to ignore my hiv, given my LTSP status, if I didn't know about the numbers of some other LTSP who had their numbers suddenly crash and crash quickly.

Number histories which show bad numbers pre-meds and steadily improving good numbers after initiation of ART serve to prove the effectiveness of ART and provide encouragement to others. What's the harm in that?

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
Because Ann, my numbers aren't indicitive of anyone elses, since HIV is pretty much a personal thing to every "body", and the way a person lives, their level of depression, thier adherance, their amount of sleep, their work stress, their daily stress, how resistant their virus is, how the meds work in their body; all effect the numbers, so how mine do is no indication of how yours or anyone elses will do.  Simple science my friend.

When I was diagnosed Ann, I wouldn't have had any way to know what my numbers were, or for about 9 years thereafter.  So, as a "LONG TERM SURVIVOR" that predates the question, plus my progression to AIDS, and my recovery from a CD4 of 20 in 1993, wouldn't help anyone, as my immune response was destroyed long before therapy........................Why would I submit to the inquisition?
Lynn Lavne

Offline David_CA

Although I don't really count in this thread (I'm not a LTS and never will be), my numbers are posted for the world to see.  When I was newly diagnosed, it helped me to see how others have traveled on their journey with HIV / AIDS.  To see the changes when they went on and off meds, or changed regimens, was useful.  I knew I wouldn't have the exact same numbers, trends, progression, etc, but often, seeing the variations in different people's numbers helped show me the range of experiences.

I post my numbers for any benefit that somebody may get from them.  It also helps to remind me what my lab results were at any given time.
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
Hi LikeaRock

I'm a "short term" survivor myself, but have similar or worse starting numbers as yours.  I'm about 3 years ahead of you though.  But I made it up above 500 and am closing in on a normal percent too. The full history is posted below (same rationale as David-NC).

Be well
 A
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?

Why would I submit to the inquisition?

Simple. Don't respond to the thread.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
Simple. Don't respond to the thread.

Cool, and considering how the last thread I authored went, I think I'll just re-lock my keyboard when I read this site.  Who the fuck listens to us Dinosaurs any more anyway?  Surely all of our experience with HIV/AIDS and our intensive study of the science as it evolved doesn't mean jack shit anymore, considering we are now locked firmly in the age of CMHIV.  AIDS is certainly history.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Tim, let me explain in a little more depth what I meant.

Because Ford, my numbers aren't indicitive of anyone elses, since HIV is pretty much a personal thing to every "body", and the way a person lives, their level of depression, thier adherance, their amount of sleep, their work stress, their daily stress, how resistant their virus is, how the meds work in their body; all effect the numbers, so how mine do is no indication of how yours or anyone elses will do.  Simple science my friend.

Tim, I think we're in total agreement that when it comes to hiv, everybody's experiences will be a bit different. I think that's true of just about any illness there out there. However, there are common denominators. While your specific numbers aren't going to be indicative of anyone else's, the fact that your numbers improved when on meds IS indicative of what's going to happen with others. We are in agreement that the meds work, aren't we?

The OP is simply looking for a bit of reassurance that with time and today's improved meds, he's going to be ok. For goodness sake Tim, you're a good example of that and it doesn't really matter what your numbers were in the early days. You know your numbers from at least the past ten years and that counts for something. The fact you're still here counts for something.

When I was diagnosed Ann, I wouldn't have had any way to know what my numbers were, or for about 9 years thereafter.  So, as a "LONG TERM SURVIVOR" that predates the question, plus my progression to AIDS, and my recovery from a CD4 of 20 in 1993, wouldn't help anyone, as my immune response was destroyed long before therapy........................Why would I submit to the inquisition?

While the OP might be somewhat recently diagnosed, with the numbers he had at diagnosis (CD4 44 VL over 700K) he certainly isn't newly infected. He also had a damaged immune system before therapy. This is precisely why he is asking for the experiences of people who have been living with hiv inside their body for a long time.

Yes! I am very different, and my numbers won't change your life to someone who gives a shit, so I aint sharing. 

I really don't understand the hostility in the above response. It's obvious by some of the replies here that many people do take encouragement and reassurance from reading about the experiences of others and seeing their number histories. So while you might think this thread is a "waste of fucking time" (charming), others do not share your opinion.

Cool, and considering how the last thread I authored went, I think I'll just re-lock my keyboard when I read this site.  Who the fuck listens to us Dinosaurs any more anyway?  Surely all of our experience with HIV/AIDS and our intensive study of the science as it evolved doesn't mean jack shit anymore, considering we are now locked firmly in the age of CMHIV.  AIDS is certainly history.

I'm a bit perplexed that you say nobody listens to "us dinosaurs" on one hand, then on the other hand complain when someone asks about your experiences and numbers.

Don't pack up your keyboard and leave. That is not what I meant at all when I said "don't respond". I simply meant that if you have no interest in a thread or think the question is a waste of time, you don't have to respond in a hostile manner,  just move on to another thread.

And to state that "aids is history" is just plain silly. While for many it IS a manageable condition, I think we're all very much aware that "manageable" is totally dependant on access to meds and healthcare. Just because some of us are optimistic about the future of our health and our lives with hiv does NOT mean that anyone is discounting the bad experiences others have had or are having currently. And just because we're optomistic doesn't mean we aren't aware that the wheels could fall off the cart at any time for any one of us.

Ann
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 02:27:58 pm by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
Diagnosed in 1987.
Lowest  count was early 1996 with 7 T-cells and a viral load in the millions.

Started HAART and have been up to 950 and 34%  and undetectable ever since.

But numbers are only numbers.
My last T count was 540. It fluctuates all the time.

It is about how you feel and of course, the aim is to get undetectable.

Keep going...

xxx Hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline Okealyshire

Please share your results, and how long it took you to get there. If your numbers are listed in your sig, thats fine too!

My experience doesn't exactly match your request of CD4 <100 but it does include a lengthy time period between initial diagnosis and the start of treatment. Hope you find this info useful.

I learned about my infection in 2002 (story here). I pretty much ignored it for a long time (which I now realize was a stupid thing to do). In September 2007 I came down with a fever during a flight from Beijing to Singapore. That didn't really worry me so much until I noticed my temperature remained elevated for several days. The fever just wouldn't go away -- it persisted for many weeks. In October I went through a battery of tests that revealed nothing serious. Finally I relented and and requested an HIV test in November -- where I learned that my CD4 was around 250 and my VL was over 1,000,000. My doctor recommended a well-respected specialist who suggested I start meds right away. I'm very pleased with the results: CD4 over 600 and VL undetectable.

We never did figure out what the cause of the fever was. The only thing of note from October's round of tests was a mildly elevated liver function (I don't recall which specific test) with no obvious cause. My fever disappeared after the first week of meds and my liver functions returned normal and remain there.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt

Hey Ann,

You said a mouthful! I went 11 years without meds. OK, for some of those years, there weren't any and for others, there was only monotherapy.

But, my T cells stayed above the magic 500 during those entire 11 years, or at least as long as I monitored them.

But when things went down the toilet, they went fast. In September 05 my CD4s were in the 600 range and my viral load was about 12,000.

Then, my CD4s steadily dropped into the 400s without any rebound and the viral load shot up to nearly 50,000 by January.

I started meds in March of 96 and the rest is history.

I was lucky, but if I hadn't been monitoring my counts, things could have gone sour very easily.

I agree with you Ann. If I weren't on meds, I would have those draws done quarterly at the very least.

HUGS

Mark

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 03:03:48 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?

I was lucky, but if I hadn't been monitoring my counts, things could have gone sour very easily.

Absolutely. And if I didn't know about stories like yours, I would probably be inclined to be a lot more complacent about monitoring my numbers. While it's true that hiv affects everyone a little differently, there are still many common threads. Sharing our stories and number histories really does help others.

One of the first people I knew with hiv works at the ASO I use in Liverpool. When we met, he had been med-free and very healthy for ten years and that gave me so much hope at a time when I needed it most. He's another person who had his numbers crash quickly and spectacularly (at year twelve). He went on meds and is doing great - which also gave me much hope.

Sharing our stories gives hope, and that's priceless.

Hugs back at ya!

Ann
xxx

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.