Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:26:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 244
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 208
Total: 209

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: very scared  (Read 14797 times)

Offline bigproblem

very scared
« on: January 21, 2007, 11:33:57 am »
Hello all,
Last night I had protected vaginal sex with a sex worker in Rio but the condom broke as I only noticed when I withdrew. I never had a condom break and was told it would be definately noticable. I am always careful and now I am afraid I have contracted HIV. I went to the hospital last night as well and they said they do not have PEP. I was surprised in a city like Rio to hear that. The sex worker said that she was tested 3 weeks ago and was fine and that she always uses condoms and this is the first time one broke. She was not happy the condom broke. I am going to try and find her tonight for a test if possible. She had her own condom  but we used mine because I knew (thought) it was of good quality, she would not even perform oral sex without a condom.
I have never been so scared of being infected. I always use condoms and am very careful.
Any advice? Just wait it out until 3 months? that will be an eternity.
When will symptoms first occur? I realize they may not occur and symptoms are not necessarily indictative of transmission. HELP!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: very scared
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 12:10:48 pm »
Leave the sex worker alone. You're out of line when you pursue your partner for a solution.

Take a breath and listen now. HIV is not an easy virus to transmit. It's significantly more difficult to accomplish from female. You were protected until the condom broke. Given this was a single incident the odds are overwhelmingly in your favor that transmission would not take place even IF, (and that's a big IF), the woman is HIV+.

From what you have described of her behavior in the situation it seems as if she was acting very cautiously and carefully which is is another plus for you in the situation.

I suggest you get tested at 13 weeks after this incident. I know that may sound like forever to you right now, but just stay busy during the waiting time and it can pass more quickly than you may imagine right now.

I certainly expect you will test negative.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline bigproblem

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 12:25:50 pm »
Andy,
Thanks for your quick response as I am very depressed and concerned as to what happened. I believe I had sex with the broken condom for a long time and she was a petite girl so I believe the unprotected head of my penis was in tight contact with the most dangerous part of her mucus membrane of her vagina. (hope that made sense)
Should I get PEP when I go home? It will have been 48 hours or slightly more.
Thanks for your help.

Offline bigproblem

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 11:19:32 am »
Andy,
Ok I am back now...should I seek out PEP??
Thanks for your response.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 11:51:15 am »
If it puts your mind at ease you can seek out PEP.  You had a possible incident.  However temper that possibility with what Andy said.  It is a tough virus to get especially from female to male!
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 12:09:50 pm »
You and your doctor will have to decide (quickly) about whether or not to initiate PEP.

It is a course not to be taken lightly as the drugs are strong and often have uncomfortable side effects. In order to be effective they have to be started as soon after an incident as possible and within 72 hours.

Personally I don't see it warranted in relation to this incident, but you have to make that decision for yourself. The risk of transmission was very, very low in this case even IF the sex worker is HIV+, and the information you have given about her leads to me think that is unlikely.

Andy Velez

Offline bigproblem

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 06:27:39 pm »
Well I did not get the PEP treatment. I am not sure if it is even available where I live. My Rio experience has me very worried as I wait out the 3 months.

Offline bigproblem

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 06:30:45 pm »
the fact that the condom broke at the head of my penis has me worried the most. Had it broken at the base or had I known when it broke would lighten my concerns.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 11:34:49 am »
OK, tell your mind to give it a rest.

Everything I said to you previously about the odds being overwhelmingly in your favor against transmission occuring are still valid.

Your mind may continue to worry you. When those thoughts and feelings come up, notice them, take a breath and let them go. The difficulty occurs when you don't like a thought and try to push it away. Then it REALLY sticks and makes you nutz.

Focus on staying productively busy during the waiting period and you will likely be amazed at how quickly the time can pass.

Good luck with your test result. I expect you to come out of this ok.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline bigproblem

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 02:55:11 pm »
Andy,
Thanks for your time and attention. It is appreciated. I'll try to follow your advice.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 06:12:33 pm »
Don't "try." Just do as I told you. No kidding.

I STILL expect you to come out of this ok.
Andy Velez

Offline bigproblem

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 07:49:29 am »
Thanks Andy for your time.
To put my mind at ease from past protected experiences I had a home access test which came back negative. So if my 3 month test comes back positive from my broken condom incident (at the head of the penis) I will know for sure how I got it. Not that it would matter physically (medically) but pyschologically for me I would know.
Reading through this web site has been very calming and I want to thank those who help so many people like myself through personal tough times.
I am not tring to be a drama queen. Just waiting it out now.
Thanks Andy for your knowledge and information.
Quick question...I now know I could not have infected the commercial sex worker. I told her not to worry afterwards but did not have definative proof. Maybe she is just as anxious as I. Should I try to inform her to put her mind at ease? or just let it go...

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 07:53:44 am »
While I appreciate your wish to be helpful to the sex worker I would say "let it go." Let her handle her own life. As a professional she is no doubt sufficiently informed.

Take care of your own life, keep busy and ultimately collect what I expect will be a negative test result.

That's my opinion.
Andy Velez

Offline bigproblem

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2007, 10:58:54 am »
Andy,
It has been two weeks since my unprotected exposure (head of penis being exposed). I know you don't like to talk about symptoms but one cannot completely ignore the relationship.  Don't worry, I am not going to write you ever time I sneeze.....but....
Q.  Do most people experience symptoms? If they do, when do they usually hit?

I have been reading a lot of your reply's and find it very beneficial......do you ever "sugar coat" things to make people feel better? Or do you tell it like it is?

I have been reading a lot about transmission risks (AidsMed, The Body (Dr.Bob), Poz Nation, etc.) and it seems a surprising number of people have been effected with one exposure. Of course, sometimes fact from fiction is a fine line on the internet.

I will get tested at 6 weeks, if negative I will test again at 13 weeks.

As always I appreciate your thoughts.
Thank you!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2007, 11:09:22 am »
I never had symptoms of any kind, so what does that tell you?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2007, 11:59:02 am »
big,

The whole symptom thing is a red herring. Lots of people never experience a single symptom - which is part of why there are so many people walking around, not knowing they are hiv positive. Other people become so sick during seroconversion they end up in a hospital bed. Forget about symptoms or even the lack of symptoms - you cannot know your hiv status by symptoms.

I've been around here for six years and I've yet to see someone end up positive after a condom break. Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus and more so from a woman to a man - and that's when no condom is used at all. You were protected until the condom broke.

We do not sugar coat things here. When someone has had a significant risk, we say so. You've had a risk, but not a significant one and I fully expect you to come out of this ok and hiv negative.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline bigproblem

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2007, 12:32:38 pm »
Thanks RapidRod and Ann for your comments.
And Ann that is a calming note on your expericence advising on broken condoms. My re-occuring anxiety is how the condom broke exposing the entire head of my penis and who knows how long it was exposed. After ejaculation when I pulled out I could not believe my eyes. Could have been for the majority of the time as I did not feel it break. I have always been very careful and educated in the past. But here I am.
Thank you for your time and attention. You and your team do a lot of good for a lot of people. Thanks.

Offline bigproblem

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2007, 12:49:20 pm »
Clarification.
After reading my own post I did not mean to imply that only uneducated and careless people have risks. Just that there are real risks EVEN when practicing safer sex.
Take care

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2007, 12:50:39 pm »
Just living life is a risk.

Offline bigproblem

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2007, 09:13:26 am »
Maybe I had a defective condom because I put it on correctly. Wasnt drunk. Didn't feel it break. But upon withdraw after ejaculation the entire upper 2/3rds of the condom was "torn away" exposing the entire head of my penis. I have used condoms a lot (the same brand..Trojan..lubricated) and never had that experience. Very odd.
Ann, I hope I do not break your 6 year string of testing neg after a broken condom. I can't help but think my case is a little different and more of a risk exposure.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2007, 09:31:56 am »
Big,

It's possible that the condom was old or had been exposed to excess heat during storage. Latex will degrade with time or heat, so you need to check the sell-by date and make sure you store them properly. Don't carry one around in your wallet, for example, and expect it to be in good shape three months later. If you're going out and hoping to get lucky, put a fresh condom in your wallet and remove it again if it does not get used.

I'm still confident you'll be just fine. Your case does not strike me as special or different in any way.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline bigproblem

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2007, 09:59:56 am »
yes..the other thing I do is when I travel (I bring my own "trusted" brand) I keep them as carry-on rather than expose them to the riggers of check-in luggage, change in temp, air pressure, etc. Don't put them in the same pocket as my potentially sharp edged keys when I go out. Bring an extra in case of failure......ironic.
I had one break once as I took it off (long time ago when I was not as experienced)....but nothing has ever happened like this before..and probably with one of the highest risk partners as possible.
Ann, Andy, Rrod...thanks for all that you. Keep it up.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2007, 10:16:50 am »
Big,

Make sure you always check the date on them too. Any reputable brand will have a sell-by date stamped on each individual condom wrapper. Don't be tempted to use out of date condoms. It ain't worth it.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline bigproblem

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2007, 08:04:41 am »
Well I believe reading almost this entire web site has helped me during my "window wait."
I am strongly recommending it to others who may be reading this and waiting after a risk.
Another question...
In your opinion.......
Is protected sex acceptable during the waiting period and should I disclose my situation? I am not married nor in a serious relationship. I always use condoms properly and now I am afraid I will always have this paranoia during protected sex and will have to check every 30 seconds.
The statement that a person can always tell when a condom fails was not true in my case. I wasn't drunk and I am a knowledgeable and experienced lifetime user of condoms.   
3 more weeks before my initial 6 week "glimpse.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2007, 09:56:03 am »
I don't understand what you mean by this comment:

"The statement that a person can always tell when a condom fails was not true in my case."

Please clarify.
Andy Velez

Offline hblaw

• Don't Worry
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2007, 10:00:04 am »
he should mean that he cannot always tell whether his condom fails. Right? Big.
Between Day 5 and Day 30, I got (i) myalgia and athralgia (including but not limited to fingers, wrists, elbows, knees, and ankles), (ii) mild fever, (iii) oral ulcer, (iv) nightsweat, (v) sore throat, and (vi) diarrhea.  I got everything book ARS. I had sex with HIV+ woman.
---------------
Recent test: Day 41 1/2 Neg ELISA 3rd generation

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2007, 10:11:08 am »
hblaw, please keep your questions and concerns in your own thread.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2007, 10:21:01 am »
Big,

When we say that you will know if a condom has broken, we mean when you look at it. You knew yours was broken by looking at it. You may not always feel it, although many people do. If you read through the condom link in my signature line, they recommend you check your condom periodically.

You can have protected intercourse during your window period. Condoms protect both ways. In fact, until you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested negative together, you should be using them every time, no exceptions, window period or no window period. I suspect you already know that, but I wanted to clarify that for other readers.

Ann
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 10:24:45 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline bigproblem

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2007, 11:43:03 am »
Andy,
Sorry if I was not clear. I meant that during sex I could not feel it break.  Usually I check when we change postions. I'll check more often from now on.
Thanks.

Offline bigproblem

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2007, 04:17:57 pm »
Andy,
After reading your advice to "enjoythesilence" (topic "prevention), your description of when a condom breaks "it is like a hula hoop with a torn skirt" is exactly how my condom looked afterwards. Completely shredded...exposing my penis head. For all you readers this was true in my case as well.
I would not be worrying as much if it slipped off upon withdrawl or "supposedly" had a tiny hole.
Waiting in the window.

Offline bigproblem

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2007, 07:01:32 am »
RapidRod,

You wrote in another post that you are not a "big fan" of the 6 week test. Why? I am getting close to 6 weeks.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2007, 08:13:00 am »
One it's costs money. Two, you can't get a conclusive result and Three, it isn't about to change your fears waiting on seven more weeks to go wonder if you status is going to change.

Offline bigproblem

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2007, 05:33:11 pm »
Upon transmission, what percent of people experience light to heavy symptoms?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2007, 05:44:15 pm »
big,

Symptoms or the lack of symptoms mean nothing when it comes to hiv. Only testing will reveal your hiv status. I know plenty of people who had no symptoms whatsoever yet tested positive. I also know plenty of people who had every symptom in the book, yet tested negative. Symptoms are meaningless when it comes to hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline bigproblem

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2007, 04:38:43 pm »
After coming to this web site every day for the past two months and absorbing the info I decided to go ahead and get an 54 day test after unprotected insertive vaginal sex with a CSW. (I am calling it unprotected because I see it as the same risk) It only took one day for the results ($40) and it was "no reactivo" with a Elisa ABBOTT, VIH 1/2. ( I live in S.America) they were very professional. I am assuming the test here is of high quality.
I know I am not "out of the woods" but are there any numbers/statistics or percentages of people testing positive after testing neg at 7.5 weeks?
Andy, Ann and RRod: any of you know of people testing pos after a 54 day neg?
I will test again after 13 weeks.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2007, 04:51:07 pm »
Big, your negative test result is more than a little encouraging. The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those that are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the HIV virus.

Given that you had a condom on until it broke and this was a single partially exposed incident, and with that negative at 6 weeks in hand, I would expect you to continue to test negative at 13 weeks.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline bigproblem

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2007, 10:44:13 pm »
Andy, Ann and RapidRod

My risk was complete condom breakage with insertive vaginal sex with a CSW.
I received my 13 week negative result today with an ELISA 3rd generation test. The moderators at this site were of tremendous help during the last 3 months.
Andy, you were first on the "scene" and your rational advice helped calm my worst fears. Ann, you obviously are very knowledgeable and you educate all of us to understand our potential risks (I am glad I did not ruin "your" 6 year "insertive vaginal, no-one has tested pos after broken condom" string) . RapidRod, "rapid" is appropriate because I think you prefer to get right to the point without a lot of "emotional discussion" along the way. Sometimes we need that. Collectively you three guided me through what could have been a very difficult 3 months and you should know that YOU make a tremendous difference in helping people like myself. I wish all of you the best of health and happiness.

Attention all of those at risk:
Read the lessons pages and educate yourself before asking your questions. Have confidence in the moderators...they know what they are talking about. Don't put yourself at risk if you cannot handle the potential emotional fall-out. I learned my lesson.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2007, 10:56:11 pm »
Now Big, I hope never to see or hear from you again about an HIV scare. Now if you want to come back and say howdy, that's okay. Just keep using condoms, plenty of water base lube and take care of yourself.

Rapidrod

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2007, 11:49:30 am »
Big I hope to never see you here again....For all the RIGHT reasons!

Good luck.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2007, 12:23:21 pm »
Big, congrats on the happy test result. We're glad to have been of help to you.

Celebrate getting on with your life by always using condoms that fit you properly.

Cheers, 
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2007, 06:16:38 pm »
big,

I knew you weren't going to break my run!

But you forgot to tell them to read the condom and lube links (and you need to check out the new one) in my signature line. :P

Now getouttahere!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline bigproblem

new question
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2007, 09:41:22 pm »
I know this is not an infection question.......but I respect your advice. I recently purchased Trojan brand  "Ultra Thin" condoms for use with my girlfriend. Are they just as safe as the thicker types?? In your experience talking with many people, have you known of this type to have more breaks?? They come lubricated.

Thanks for your response

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2007, 09:44:48 pm »
Big,

If you read through the three condom and lube links in my signature line, you will be able to answer  your own question.

Ann
(who believes in empowering people to self-educate)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline bigproblem

« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2008, 09:58:12 am »
Andy, Ann and Rod:

Thanks for your help a couple of years ago. I haven't forgotten. I wanted to wish all of you a Happy and healthy Holidays for everything that you do.

In the past years, have you found people generally more aware and educated? Is the fight against this virus moving in the right direction?

This is not a specific infection question so I will understand if it does not stay posted.

Take care.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2008, 11:53:02 am »
Thanks for your comments and happy holidays to you as well.

If people would only start using condoms consistently THEN we could begin to get this epidemic under control.

Cheers. 
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.