Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:38:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 325
Total: 327

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: ssdi appeal question...  (Read 94072 times)

Offline mitch777

ssdi appeal question...
« on: September 10, 2012, 09:07:10 pm »
hi,

just worried that i may have to appeal the first "normal" rejection notice from SSDI.

anybody know of any statistics in regard to the success rate of appeals?

feeling kinda rotten lately as well.
probably due to the stress of the process.

thanks,
mitch

33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline nycpoz33

Re: ssdi appeal question...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 10:07:57 pm »
Not sure of specific numbers, but know from personal experience the odds of having your appeal approved increase dramatically with legal representation.  If you dont have representation currently, get some immediately.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 11:27:12 pm »
Without looking up the stats, it seems I remember reading that something like 80% are denied on the first round.  And, somewhere near that on the first appeal.  Most have to go before a judge.  I honestly think they have a quota, purposely trying to deny most in hopes they will give up.  That's just my opinion.  Because, the people who I've known who went before a judge had nothing change in their medical situation.  So, it makes me wonder why they got denied twice, but got it when they went before a judge.  Perhaps the judges have more compassion?  I've read that most who go before a judge are often successful. 

Again, I'm just going on memory here and personal experiences.  I think it also depends on the state you live in.  I know some say it is easier to get here in KY than IN, for example. 

And, I've read that it is very important to have legal representation, when you go before a judge.  Having said that, I know someone who appealed the fee his lawyer got, which was $6,000.  When he got his approval letter, it gave instructions how you could appeal the lawyer fee.  He appealed, because his lawyer didn't do anything.  He got all his medical records--actually going to the doctors and hospitals.  His lawyer met with him once and didn't prep him.  His lawyer did send some assistant on the court date, but he said he did all the talking, while the legal rep just sat there.  So, the judge ordered that his lawyer had to forfeit $3,000 back to him.       

Offline britchick

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 01:35:55 am »
mitch777

Best wishes with your appeal.Please come back and let us know what happens.Im also appealing in the UK.

Yes it is really stressful but will be worth it.

Britchickx

Offline darryaz

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 09:53:00 am »
Check with your ASO.  Mine has a Legal Aid attorney working with them who helps their clients through the application and appeals process.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 10:35:18 am »
Thanks for the support!

Was pretty tired last night when I posted this and should have given a bit more backround info.

I did hire a lawyer from the beginning. She seems to have a good feeling how this is going but I have lots of doubts. (always wondered myself if they have some sort of quota to keep as many people as possible off of SSDI)

Poz for 30 years next month and on meds for 17 years.
Counts are "good".
Other health issues are exhaustion, weakness in limbs, inability to concentrate, forgetfullness, and daily pain from headaches since March of 2011.
(sorry to bore those of you who have heard me describe all this before)

My ID doctor is very supportive but said they probably won't give me dissability based solely on my HIV status.
He is hopeful that all of my combined issues will make the difference.

We will see...
Off to my appointment.
Will give you my impression when I return.
(think it might be helpful to others in my situation)

thanks again.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 10:38:45 am »
oops,

forgot to mention the appointment today is for some sort of neurocognitive test required by the SSDI office.

sounds like fun!

Offline mitch777

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 01:52:59 pm »
OK,
Back from the test.
Turned out to be a short IQ test.
I did well with the cognitive portion but think I did poorly on the memory portion.

I think the concept is that the State wants to see how well the results match the information that I have already submitted to them.
(at least that's what the shrink said)

While I believe my results will match well, she also hinted that the State is getting pretty picky these days.

Just need to hope for the best and prepare for an appeal of their decision if it comes to that.

I will keep you updated as I know this information might be helpful to others.

Mitch

Offline mitch777

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 04:13:48 pm »
update...
ugh! denied as i kind of expected but am still frustrated with the process.
energy and stress dealing with an appeal does not make me a "happy camper".

the ssdi people can say that i am able to work until they turn blue in the face but it does not in any way change what is real.

spoke to my lawyer and on we will go to appeal. i don't really have any additional medical issues than what was submitted the first time so am wondering what it is going to take on the second go-round to alter their decision???

maybe just dealing with a more open minded person at a higher level?
luck?
hmmm...

mitch

Offline intaglio

• Doesn't have to pay for vowels
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 10:53:40 am »
I went through SSDI back in 1999 due to an auto accident/TBI. It took three years and a lawyer to obtain it for me.

The only thing I can add here is that your US senator should have a Social Security advocate working for him/her. Mine did and he helped move the process along.

SSA will send you out letters with timelines indicated. They'll say something like "...you should receive a response in 90 days, etc...." On day 91, you ring up the SS advocate and say "I haven't heard from SSA within the timeframe they said they'd respond." I guarantee you'll have a response within a couple of days.

I was lucky my US senator's office was in the same city I resided in. I had to take the letters to the office so the SS advocate had the documentation he needed when he contacted SSA.

My problem was that I'd wait -and wait -and wait for a response. I found out that if they haven't responded within their timeline, you have to speak up immediately.

SSDI is not designed to help you get disability. It is designed to find ways to disqualify you.

When you get in front of the judge, be honest, but also do not admit you could "maybe do a little work" etc. I was asked point-blank if I thought I could sit in front of a tv screen and watch it for criminal activity. I answered honestly that I could probably do it for about 20 minutes before my "dain brammage" would cause me to totally space out or my anxiety (due to cognitive issues related to the dain brammage) would cause me to flee my post. Basically all my statements had to show I could not do any sort of productive work consistently or for any significant amount of time.
Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 06:00:07 pm »
thanks intaglio.
i tried the congressman route and got a pretty cold shoulder.

i am now seeind a psychiatrist to help document depression, anxiety, fatigue issues and have studied up further on the SSDI detailed requirements which are still kinda vague.

hope by being specific on my appeal by referring to the SSDI "rules" and a doctor to confirm my limitations, we will get past this road block.

what a chore! grrr...

mitch

Offline mitch777

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 08:20:19 am »
update on my ssdi appeal...

my lawyer got the medical reports from the ssdi to see why i was turned down on the first attempt.
my docs were all helpful EXCEPT the shrink that ssdi sent me to for a "short IQ" test.
hmmm.....
a 15 minute visit repeating 4 words, saying 487 in reverse order, and other silly questions made her somehow come to the conclusion that i was able to work. >:(

my current psychiatrist laughed. :)

now it is "sit and wait" to see how they will be responding to my appeal.
so much fun. :P

Offline osric

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 07:48:59 pm »
i just got my 2nd SSDI denial letter this week and enlisted a lawyer at my ASO to review my case and make sure i'm prepared when i go before the judge. i think there's lots of material missing from what SSI has reviewed, and I've had changes in my condition (worse) since the last appeal so my lawyer is hopeful... we shall see...

Offline synergyhomepage

• Live like there is no tommarow
    • Valley Aids Information Network
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 08:36:53 pm »
     Just want to lend my support.....  I am  waiting now for my ALJ Hearing in April and I know how stressful this process can be.  I have found one webisite with lots of helpful info,I can IM it if you like, not many HIV/AIDS cases in thier forums but overall the content has been very informative and helped me understand the process.  And the experts they have can answer your questions.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 08:50:55 pm »
hey osric and synergy,

thanks for keeping this thread alive.
it is important to so many people (me too).

any help would be SO appreciated!

best of luck (it really should'nt even need luck) to both of you.

seems like the ssdi looks at hiv as a pill popping manageable disease these days.
so frustrating and sad. :(

Offline synergyhomepage

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 09:06:20 pm »
This site has been most helpful and informative.  http://ssdfacts.com/ 8)

Offline scotty54

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 11:20:56 pm »
Sit tight and hang in there.  I read that the stats go up quite positively on the second appeal.  I know the stress is a bitch.  It took me a little over a year and had very supportive docs.  Best---
I may not agree with you, but will always defend your right to disagree.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 08:33:51 pm »
This site has been most helpful and informative.  http://ssdfacts.com/ 8)

sorry for such a very sluggish reply Scotty and Syn!
kinda blocked this thread out of my mind to ease the stress involved.
thanks for the kind words and support.

Syn, the link you provided is AMAZING!
ton's of stats that can provide a great overview of acceptance rates and very specific as well.
need to study it further and discuss with my lawyer.

Just filled out the same lenghthy 8 page detail oriented questionaire that I originally filled out on the initial attempt for SSDI.
Ugh!
New issues to add since last May, so am keeping my fingers crossed that it goes through this time.
I am feeling pretty beat these days and it gets exhausting jumping through these hoops. :(

Thanks again!
m.

Offline synergyhomepage

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 08:59:12 pm »
Mitch

Glad it helped.  I've been going thru this for over a year and learn little things hear and there,  the greatest of which is medical evidence.  I to have neuropathy in my arms and legs, have been talking to my ID Doc about it and to my PCP, but finally realized i should see a neurologist for proper documentation.  Called my PCP and asked for a referral. Hoping it happens soon as my hearing is in 3 months. 

Question, you said that your numbers are good, but have you ever dropped below the magic number of 200 and been classified as Aids?  Would be great if you have not, but it would make meeting the listing requirements easier. 

BTW- I appreciate your normal headedness (is that a word) hear on the forums.  With so much yelling and screaming going one occasionally it is nice to see some just take it in stride and live to survive :)  Best of luck.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 09:37:21 pm »
Mitch

Glad it helped.  I've been going thru this for over a year and learn little things hear and there,  the greatest of which is medical evidence.  I to have neuropathy in my arms and legs, have been talking to my ID Doc about it and to my PCP, but finally realized i should see a neurologist for proper documentation.  Called my PCP and asked for a referral. Hoping it happens soon as my hearing is in 3 months. 

Question, you said that your numbers are good, but have you ever dropped below the magic number of 200 and been classified as Aids?  Would be great if you have not, but it would make meeting the listing requirements easier. 

BTW- I appreciate your normal headedness (is that a word) hear on the forums.  With so much yelling and screaming going one occasionally it is nice to see some just take it in stride and live to survive :)  Best of luck.

Geez,
i'm surprised that your ID doc couldn't produce medical evidence.
So, you are on round 3?
Your 1st appeal was denied?
Any different reason for denial on the second go round?
Sorry for all of the questions.
I hope this works out for you!

fortunately, on your question on the cd4 count, i think the lowest i was ever recorded was around 250.
that was about 18 years ago. been pretty steady in the 500-700 count range for years with undetectable viral load.

just being + for 30 years and a couple of decades of pill popping to control the bugger can take a toll that the "numbers" don't reflect. :(
it's real. it is impossible to prove fatigue via a blood test. it's difficult to prove most of my issues.
my biggest hope is because i added a psychiatrist since the original filing and she is completely supportive.

thank you for your kind words.
you seem pretty normal headedness too! :)

Offline synergyhomepage

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 09:49:51 pm »

My ID Doc has had his hands full, when a came to him just under a year ago my CD4 was 2 yep two, of course there is a small margin of error in that number and my VL was 1.7 Million.  I had 3 different OI's and we are still working on the basics here.  Currently have a CD4 of 158 and VL is about 60.  Just changed meds, and after a month no change, going to check it again in 2 months and see if I am UD. 

I'll be 43 this year
In Oregon I applied (online by myself) was denied
Applied for reconsideration (online by myself) was denied
Got an attorney and applied for a hearing with an ALJ.

My age it the biggest thing against me, if I were 55, I would have been approved on the first go round my attorney said.  Having AIDS has classified my case as a TERI (terminal illness) and is bieng processed and handled as fast as they can.  Which isn't fast but fasteter by far than normal.  I started the process in April of Last year and will have my hearing in April of this year. 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2013, 09:58:10 pm »

My ID Doc has had his hands full, when a came to him just under a year ago my CD4 was 2 yep two, of course there is a small margin of error in that number and my VL was 1.7 Million.  I had 3 different OI's and we are still working on the basics here.  Currently have a CD4 of 158 and VL is about 60.  Just changed meds, and after a month no change, going to check it again in 2 months and see if I am UD. 

I'll be 43 this year
In Oregon I applied (online by myself) was denied
Applied for reconsideration (online by myself) was denied
Got an attorney and applied for a hearing with an ALJ.

My age it the biggest thing against me, if I were 55, I would have been approved on the first go round my attorney said.  Having AIDS has classified my case as a TERI (terminal illness) and is bieng processed and handled as fast as they can.  Which isn't fast but fasteter by far than normal.  I started the process in April of Last year and will have my hearing in April of this year.

wow. 2 eh?
looks like your numbers are looking alot better! :)
sometimes it takes awhile for cd4 counts to rebound.
sounds like the timing of our cases isn't too different.

please keep me/us up to date with your progress and best of luck to you as well!

Offline mitch777

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2013, 12:07:57 pm »
The sad update...

Just picked up the mail this morning to find another rejection letter from the SSA in regards to my disability claim. :( >:(

They acknowledge that I am partially disabled and am not able to return to work at my previous job.
Here is their description of what they think I am capable of:

"we have determined that you can perform work at the light level of exertion - lifting 10 lbs frequently and standing/walking 6 hours in an 8 hour workday - that is easy to learn and does not require complex tasks or frequent contact with others."

hmmm.... ::)

I am bummed out.
I am not giving up and will continue to appeal to a judge. (round 3)

The waiting list in CT (the last time I looked) was 12-13 months from where I am now to the point of a hearing. :(
The upside to waiting that long is that I will be 55 years old on 3/21/14 and they have different standards for us old people in regards to their expectations of finding new work.

While I am upset with today's news, it didn't surprise me.
Few people get accepted during the first appeal but the statistics show that the majority who get to the hearing stage win their case.

A VERY slow and frustrating process.
Ugh!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2013, 01:24:58 pm »
Mitch , I'm sorry you are getting to run around ... its tough buddy .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline britchick

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2013, 05:44:14 pm »
I sometimes think the system wants us to give up.Im so glad that you  will keep fighting.I had a 8 to 9 month battle re DLA here in the UK.

Im thinking of you and please keep up that fight

Britchick xx

Offline mitch777

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2013, 06:24:05 pm »
Thanks Jeff and britchick,

Your support helps more than you know.

The idea of collecting more medical data for another year is NOT fun.
Life goes on.

Oh,...
I checked online for the current data on approval rates in CT at this stage of the process.

Over 85% approved. :)
Guess it takes a person to person experience for the SSA to get it. ::)

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2013, 10:59:00 pm »
Sorry they're giving you such a hard time Mitch.  It sounds terribly frustrating,  especially when you're not feeling well.

Hope it all works out in the end.  Hang in there.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2013, 05:03:36 am »
From what I've read, SSA does not have a lawyer at a disability hearing to disprove someone's disability.  Where you would have one proving your disabilitiy.  Apparently the judge is the one who asks the questions regarding the disability.  I think that really improves chances.  And I believe people who really are disabled are the ones who are willing to get it to that level.  Sorry it's taking so long for you.  Hopefully it will all pay off.

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline mitch777

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2013, 07:26:50 am »
Thanks bman and Betty!

I just found out yesterday that they (SSA) didn't get a report from one of my doctors explaining that I sometimes am too tired and weak in the legs to stand more than 15 minutes. >:(
The report was faxed to them on 1/31/13 and the denial letter was dated 3/28/13.
That one report may have been enough to put me over the top.
Now, possibly due to that screw-up, I've got to wait another year to see a judge.

All of the support helps me keep my determination strong to keep plodding forward. :)

Offline Habersham

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2013, 12:16:54 pm »
Hey I myself have been on SSI for two years but the standards are about the same.

Social Security will send a representative to the hearing but their task is to see that people receiving it qualify. They won't specifically argue against you. I believe the figures are 60% are turned down the first time but 80% that go to trial are approved.

There was a show on NPR recently that cited the exact numbers and was quite amusing. It talked about that there aren't many jobs out there that were you don't have to stand.

Good luck and here's the link!

http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/
Because I Can

Offline mitch777

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2013, 09:11:56 am »
Thanks Habersham!

I have read similar statistics and am hopeful for a good outcome after my hearing.

The link you provided was an eye opener as far as the "new safety net", the huge increase in applicants, and the reasons behind it.

Shocking to see 1 in 4 people are on disability in Hale County, Alabama.
I was expecting the article to suggest the major reason was fraud (although I know it happens), but the reality is more complex than most understand.

Thanks for the info and best wishes. :)

m.

PS- Welcome to the forums! :)

Offline Reishi

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2013, 01:50:08 am »
Mitch, I'm sorry to hear you're having such a hard time.  Don't despair.  I think the third time's a charm.  Plus, like you said, once you turn 55, that should help your case.

I currently have an SSI / SSDI claim pending, but I'm 20 years younger than you, so I know my chances of getting approved are slim.  I kept delaying the application process because I was too exhausted & fatigued to get through it all.  I was sleeping for 12 hours a day.

The SSA seems completely backwards as far as who gets approved & denied.  People with a vague physical complaint, like "a bad back", seem to get approved every time, while those who are literally at death's door get denied.  I also meet tons of young people who feign mental illness in order to qualify for SSI (many of whom squander their benefits on recreational drugs).

It's just sickening.  The undeserving people seem to have no problem getting on the dole while deserving people are left out in the cold.  Anyway, enough of my rant.  Just wanted to say hang in there.  Don't give up hope.

"Perseverance, secret of all triumphs."  ~  Victor Hugo

Offline darryaz

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2013, 08:43:17 am »
I listened to a spot on NPR about the lax standards for SSDI approval in Alabama.  A bit frustrating for those of us who live in states with stricter requirements.

I get the impression that lax standards add a layer of stigma to being on disability.  Since it's so easy to get approved it's equated with laziness, at least in that state.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2013, 01:10:08 pm »
Darry, I also read the NPR article.  Very interesting.  I can honestly say in this area people on disability abound.  Now, I am not the disability police or judge.  I've been on it due to neurological dysfunction secondary to aids, plus getting on in the first place for being on death's door due to wasting back in the very early 90's.  And now I am a case manager at an ASO and have a couple of clients I wonder about.  One of them receives SSI, yet can go out and roof all day, 5 days a week, for cash.  Which of course is a very physically demanding job.  But he spends his money on crack.  As I said, I'm not the disability police but sometimes it does get frustrating. 

Like my neighbor in the middle apartment where I live.  She's not positive, but does have COPD so needs disability.  But, in the last month she's had Comcast cable, AT&T U-verse, and now there is Dish network hooking up her satellite.  She gets SSI so has not worked to get enough work credits.  And her daughter is with a man, they have two children and neither work.  The man's sister supports them. And the daughter is pregnant again.  But that's generational poverty, where a person really never pulls out of the effects of their childhood concept of how to get by in the world; totally on the system and generosity of others. 

Frustrating, but I believe people make bad decisions no matter what their money source is.  I totally agree there are people who just do not want to work who feign severe mental illness to get approved quicker, since people know it's easier to get approved for mental reasons than physical.  I'm glad I don't make those decisions.  But what can you do.  I just hope the people in this thread who truly deserve disability, like Mitch, get approved, which should have happened long ago.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline Reishi

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2013, 04:31:26 pm »
Just today, I received a packet of forms which I have to fill out and mail back to Kentucky.  It already sounds like they're trying to downplay my ailments.  Arthritis is listed as "pain".  I find it disconcerting that I see no mention of my HIV status anywhere.  I think that detail is pertinent.  If 75% of your immune system is destroyed, it's only natural you'll experience fatigue (among other things).

I get the impression that California is one of those states with lax standards.  (I live there, so I speak from experience.)  Another vague ailment which seems to get people approved is chronic fatigue syndrome.  A deaf guy I know gets SSI, which doesn't seem fair because deaf people can work.  They can be computer programmers, web designers, accountants, etc.  There are a myriad of jobs that don't require hearing.

It's astounding to me they would deny anyone with AIDS, which is life threatening, yet approve someone for being deaf, which is not life threatening.  Like I said, it's so backwards.

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2013, 04:59:44 pm »
Just today, I received a packet of forms which I have to fill out and mail back to Kentucky.  It already sounds like they're trying to downplay my ailments.  Arthritis is listed as "pain".  I find it disconcerting that I see no mention of my HIV status anywhere.  I think that detail is pertinent.  If 75% of your immune system is destroyed, it's only natural you'll experience fatigue (among other things).

I get the impression that California is one of those states with lax standards.  (I live there, so I speak from experience.)  Another vague ailment which seems to get people approved is chronic fatigue syndrome.  A deaf guy I know gets SSI, which doesn't seem fair because deaf people can work.  They can be computer programmers, web designers, accountants, etc.  There are a myriad of jobs that don't require hearing.

It's astounding to me they would deny anyone with AIDS, which is life threatening, yet approve someone for being deaf, which is not life threatening.  Like I said, it's so backwards.

It's a slippery slope when you start questioning who should and should not get approved for disability.  It *should* be all about whether or not your ailment prevents you from working.  There are those who say that there are people with HIV or AIDS who are able to work and shouldn't receive disability.  And in some cases, they would be right.   But generalizing about other groups of people, the impact of their ailments, and throwing around terms like "vague ailment" doesn't really help your situation, does it?

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2013, 05:45:26 pm »
It's a slippery slope when you start questioning who should and should not get approved for disability.  It *should* be all about whether or not your ailment prevents you from working.  There are those who say that there are people with HIV or AIDS who are able to work and shouldn't receive disability.  And in some cases, they would be right.   But generalizing about other groups of people, the impact of their ailments, and throwing around terms like "vague ailment" doesn't really help your situation, does it?

This is very true.  It's all about whether or not someone can perform what SSA determines as "SGA" or "substantial gainful activity."  Which, this year, means making above $1040/month.  So, after someone is approved, he/she can get a job and make up to that amount and sitll keep the SSDI, which is not the same rule for SSI.  Of course these have been discussed.

Different people can handle different situations, and all differently.  What can baffle one, another can master.  While someone can do one job, another one may never be able to.  One of our clients at the ASO I work at is blind, plus being a LTS'er of AIDs, but still goes and washes dishes at this college, in their cafeteria.  She's amazing-she is totally independent.  I picked her up one time and she was dressed beautifully, hair all in the right places.  I asked her how she can tell which clothes to wear, and she said by the feel.  She lost her sight due to CMV years ago, and her husband died from AIDS.  I've known her for a long time, long before I worked at the ASO.  And she's conquered much.  Yet, another person in this situation may not be able to handle all the issues this woman does.  Who's to judge?  This is why I said I am not the disability police.

However, I do understand frustration about not being able to obtain what we feel is rightfully ours when we can see some people get it without much effort; people we don't believe deserve it.  Like I said, I know a couple people who really could work, but have other issues like drug addiction.  Although can perform work for cash.  But I'm not in their head, so I have no clue as to what they contemplate, except how to get more crack lol. (seriously, and I can say that since I'm a drug addict, though sober). 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2013, 12:18:05 pm »
People have been commenting to me (not on the forums) about this SSDI process and about how frustrating it must be for me to see other "less deserving" applicants get approved easily.
I really don't put too much energy into that way of thinking.
Fraud happens in every area of the government.
Those who commit the fraud will need to live with themselves and the government, well,....uh...., they buy $8495.00 screwdrivers.
I DO know that I would not want to be a judge at a hearing deciding who is eligible.

My biggest fear is that the judge will pay more attention to my appearance than my reality.
Physically, in long pants at least :), I look like a pretty healthy guy.
hmmm...
that gives me an idea...
maybe I should show up at the hearing in a speedo. :)
If my body shape doesn't scare him/her, he/she would definitely have to think twice about my state of mind.

Anyway,
I have an appointment with my attorney this afternoon to fill in all of the info needed for the appeal.
(my attorney has been very slow :(.)

It looks like it will now take until June or July of 2014 for my hearing. ::)

There have been many reports lately about vets having to wait 3,4, or 5 years.
Very sad.

Just got to keep pressing onward.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2013, 02:01:39 pm »
Maybe you could send Miss P in after one of his 3 day klonny binges ... you might even get more money and access to his ryan white goverment cheese of the month club .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2013, 04:21:36 pm »
I'm sure I was on a klonnie comedown post-binge when I went to the SS office in downtown Crooklyn, and I'm sure I looked a royal mess -- emaciated and unshaven, reeking of AIDS.

I also think that I ate at the Wendy's around the corner on Fulton Street afterwards. And please -- government cheese. Indeed I would have been eating that at the time because they'd put me on food stamps while I waited for approval. Oh how the mighty had fallen by that time. And to think just before that I had headhunters calling offering 6-figure salaries.

I also recommend not showering for at least five days, no deodorant, and spritzing yourself with urine. This is about creativity, and some of us have it, and some of us don't. You know, I didn't get my art degree by being lazy.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 04:33:53 pm by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline darryaz

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2013, 10:47:43 pm »
I also recommend not showering for at least five days, no deodorant, and spritzing yourself with urine. This is about creativity, and some of us have it, and some of us don't. You know, I didn't get my art degree by being lazy.

Isn't that also how Ted Nugent avoided the draft?

http://gawker.com/5983634/patriotic-american-ted-nugent-shit-his-pants-to-avoid-the-draft

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2013, 09:00:50 pm »
Hey Mitch,

I don't understand... You have been poz for 30 years and how could a government clerk expect you to return to work?  I asked the Social Worker at our clinic a few years ago... "What will happen if same sex marriages become legal in California and I marry a lawyer who makes hundreds of dollars per hour?"

Her response was, I would always have my SSDI and Medicare for life because AIDS is my diagnosis, the reason I am disabled.  She added my state aid and my ADAP would be eliminated because his income would be calculated with mine.  It has been 17 years and the federal government has no sense of humor that they are aware of.   8)  Have the best day
Michael

Offline mitch777

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2013, 09:09:56 am »
Hey Mitch,

I don't understand... You have been poz for 30 years and how could a government clerk expect you to return to work? 

LOL!
I guess I look like a "picture of health" to them "on paper".
Haven't you heard Michael? HIV is a "manageable" disease and we just need to suck it up, engage in life, and get to work! ;)
Infected for 30+ years? Yes. Able to work? No.

I asked the Social Worker at our clinic a few years ago... "What will happen if same sex marriages become legal in California and I marry a lawyer who makes hundreds of dollars per hour?"

Her response was, I would always have my SSDI and Medicare for life because AIDS is my diagnosis, the reason I am disabled.  She added my state aid and my ADAP would be eliminated because his income would be calculated with mine.  It has been 17 years and the federal government has no sense of humor that they are aware of.   8)  Have the best day
Michael
Yup, the logic of the federal government in regards to marriage and benefits is why we would not get married.

m.

PS- Maybe down the road a bit, those who have not taken some of the older meds from the 1980's-mid 90's and who kept the virus UD will be working beyond the 30 year hiv+ point.
It just seems to me that irreversible damage has occurred with me and the "medical proof" is elusive.
I'm not sure if there is scientific evidence available in cases like mine that the SSA would deem admissible and pertinent.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 09:31:42 am by mitch777 »

Offline RedBear

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2013, 11:36:15 am »
Hey Mitch,  I worked for an Social Security Atty. early in my career.  While it is true that a second denial may be inevitable.  However keep steadfast in your pursuit.  I don't know what state you are in and are scheduled for a hearing, most people are approved.  In some states they have what is called an Adjudication Officer.  If you fit at least two of the criteria according to the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) disability they can fast track your case.  I know that they were going to tighten up the guidelines for those with HIV.  Some tips for you.  You must have documentation of your symptoms.  So every time you go to the dr. Be sure to tell them about your symptoms, i.e. fatigue, inability to do household chores, depression that incapacitated your ability to leave the house.  Documentation is the number one thing they look for and your doctor will document everything you tell him, so never say things like I went and partied with friends or took pleasure trips...you'd be amazed how many times I've read medical records with things in the record,yet they are claiming disability.  Another good flag for disability is lack of or ability to perform in the bedroom.  Be sure to tell your doctor this....if you live in Alabama, I know a wonderful law firm; Charles Tyler Clark and associates.  They also have a program there to try to fast track applications; Paid On Record, where an assistance scoures your records and basically points this out stating that according to their own CFR, is how you are disabled,basically they are doing the work for the Social Security Office. If you have already acquired an Atty. ask as to whether their firm have people who works with an Adjudication Officer or have people who write Paid On Record cases.  It is also helpful if you can get your own medical records and give to the firm, it speeds up the process...it takes forever for firms to get the records as they get hundreds of requests daily for same.  That all being said, lately it seems to me that it is basically a numbers game...I was very 'lucky' if you will, that I ended up in the hospital with PCP.  The social workers there filed the paperwork for me and sent the records along.  My T cell count was 4 and viral load over 5,000,000 and nearly died.  But with their help I was approved within 6 months...the waiting period showing that you are unable to perform SGA.  I'm now at UD for viral load and my T cell count is 456, but it fluctuates.  I have good days and bad...mostly anxiety and presently my dentist is watching an area in my mouth that may be Oral KS...it's always something,shingles, infections, etc.  So please if you have any questions feel free and ask me...I can tell you what to say on the forms to hopefully expedite your case...remember big ones are depression, lack of sex, and fatigue...I cannot stress this's enough.   Good luck and let me know if I can help!
Finish each day and be done with it.  You have done what you could.  Some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can.  Tomorrow is a new day.  You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with you old nonsense. 
                              Emerson

Offline Reishi

« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2013, 01:51:07 am »
@ Buckmark -  I totally get what you're saying and that did cross my mind.  I didn't mean to sound judgmental, but the reason for my jaundiced view is that I had close relatives with severe disabilities.  There was no doubt they were disabled because their impairments were clearly visible to the naked eye -- amputated limbs, confinement to a wheelchair, that sort of thing.  So I feel slightly resentful when someone who doesn't appear that disabled on the surface is getting the same benefits.  But as BT65 eloquently stated, it's not our place to judge.  We're on the outside looking in, so we never know what issues a person has to deal with.

@ BT65 -  Very well said.  Whenever I see people worse off than myself accomplishing more, it makes me feel guilty and then I force myself to be more productive.

RedBear  said what I was thinking.  It would probably be helpful to emphasize depression and fatigue, and also neuropathy, if there is any. 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2013, 08:26:42 pm »
update...
I had a physical functional test that I was sent to from my ID doc about 6 weeks ago. Didn't really know how well/badly I did until today.
Guess I failed with flying colors! :)
Finally, some objective medical proof!!!
The doc involved was so understanding and supportive. He said that the results of the test and his report would qualify me for disability. It's still a long wait for the ALJ hearing but today's news did wonders for my spirit.
 :)
m.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2013, 04:38:01 am »
That's great news Mitch!  How long has it been, since you first applied, until now, then until the hearing will happen?

Offline darryaz

« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2013, 09:55:17 am »
That's great news.  Glad there's finally light at the end of the tunnel!!!

Offline wolfter

« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2013, 10:09:42 am »
Hope it doesn't appear wrong to congratulate someone for failing at anything, but congrats! ;)
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2013, 10:24:07 am »
Congrats Mitch ... in our world of living with HIV a horrible lab result can be a reason to rejoice sometime , bizarre but true .

In all seriousness , I'm sorry you have had to fight so hard for disability , its something you already earned . I hope both the income and diagnosis bring you comfort .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline britchick

« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2013, 10:32:27 am »
mitch777

Im so glad that you are getting the assistance from your doctor re SSDI.I know its a long ,painful process, but you didn't give up ..so well done !

britchickx

Offline mitch777

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2013, 10:34:31 am »
Thanks Betty and Darry,

I applied originally in May 2012, turned down in September and appealed, turned down again in March 2013. Filed the appeal to the ALJ in May. The waiting list at the time was approx. 12-13 months so my guess is that I will still be waiting until June or July of 2014.
I think I will get approved but hope the judge doesn't come back with an offer to reduce the back pay. I've heard they do that sometimes. Seems unfair to say "I'll grant your disability if you agree to forget about your back pay". I feel that I've been disabled years prior to even applying. (nobody to blame but me for that I guess)

And Greg and Jeff...
LOL. Never felt better about failing a test. :)
Ya, it's been a long trip down this road and the waiting gets discouraging. I've come to realize the system is designed to weed out people along the way. Just too bad that those who need it get poked with the cattle prod along the way.

Britchick,
Thanks! I'm still not approved but the support along the way means a lot! :)

m.

(I started typing this while all of your replies were still pouring in. Hard to keep up with you all! lol.)

Offline weasel

« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2013, 02:25:43 pm »

Hey Mitch ,
                      I hope the SS Dept. does not do to you what they did
   to me !

I waited over two years to see a Judge , My lawyer worked with me and  The V.A. Doctors were very helpful knowing all of my issues .
 In the end it turns out it was almost like they wanted me to so broke that I would BEG them for me SSDI .
   I was told :  "  Give up all back pay or face the Judge and one  wrong word and you are done !  "
   I sat there and cried . There was no option , I do not Gamble ! And that was
 a hard thing to hear from my lawyer . In the long run I did right , I went as long as I could before applying for SSDI  and IF I had waited any longer would have been in a pickle  :-[
  I have a few tips I will share next time we talk  ;)

Weasel 
" Live and let Live "

Offline mitch777

« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2013, 02:43:11 pm »
    Hey Mitch ,
                      I hope the SS Dept. does not do to you what they did
   to me !

I waited over two years to see a Judge , My lawyer worked with me and  The V.A. Doctors were very helpful knowing all of my issues .
 In the end it turns out it was almost like they wanted me to so broke that I would BEG them for me SSDI .
   I was told :  "  Give up all back pay or face the Judge and one  wrong word and you are done !  "
   I sat there and cried . There was no option , I do not Gamble ! And that was
 a hard thing to hear from my lawyer . In the long run I did right , I went as long as I could before applying for SSDI  and IF I had waited any longer would have been in a pickle  :-[
  I have a few tips I will share next time we talk  ;)

Weasel

yup. It's been a long haul. I'm going to be pissed if they try to pull that "give up your back pay" crap. I would like to hear from others that had that happen and how they made out... or not.
Wonder what options you really have if that is presented.

Offline weasel

« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2013, 06:22:21 pm »

"  Wonder what options you really have if that is presented. "

None in Missouri !   

Best of luck in being Non-functioning  :)

Weasel

" Live and let Live "

Offline wolfter

« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2013, 07:37:03 pm »
I thought it was automatic that once approved, they pay from the date you applied.  I was determined to have been disabled a year sooner than when I applied, but they only used the application date as to back pay.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2013, 07:54:39 pm »
No, mine was retroactive to the date I was determined to be disabled -- so something like 11 months extra. IIRC there is a limit on how far back they will pay but can't remember what it was, maybe 15 months (?)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2013, 08:17:26 pm »
I have heard from research on a disability site (not a government site) that many people are faced with this predicament.

I did not apply for SSDI for years after I felt I was disabled. My mistake. It would be sad if they offered me such "a deal". If I felt I was capable I wouldn't have applied. End of story.

Offline weasel

« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2013, 08:49:21 pm »
I have heard from research on a disability site (not a government site) that many people are faced with this predicament.

I did not apply for SSDI for years after I felt I was disabled. My mistake. It would be sad if they offered me such "a deal". If I felt I was capable I wouldn't have applied. End of story.

I also waited a long time , it was a hard decision  to make . The hardest thing I ever did ! 

Bob was lucky , in that they gave him a full two year back payment .  I really thought the  condition
   of his health was what made them not want to cause another heart attack .
     On the other hand me having an AIDS diagnoses helped but not enough .

Weasel
" Live and let Live "

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2013, 04:42:12 am »
This link touches on back pay:

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/151/session/L3RpbWUvMTM3OTc1MjUyNS9zaWQvdzFra3JTQWw%3D

I had a weird situation with disability.  When my daughter's father died, she received survivor's benefits.   Her check was really low as her father hardly every worked.  Then one day, all of a sudden, I got a letter about her payment going up a substantial amount, and the father's name listed on the letter was not correct.  The last name was the same, but not the first.  So, I contacted SSA and told them it was not right.  The rep I talked to insisted it was correct.  So, we just let it go. 

So, when I was approved for disability, I got a letter from SSA stating that the back pay I would have received would be used to pay back SSA from when my daughter was receiving survivor's benefits.  They stated she was overpaid.  Now, that is just typical stuff when dealing with SSA, unfortunately.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2013, 05:26:20 pm »
I guess I just don't understand the mentality (yes, I know, government paper pushers ::).) that a Judge would make someone forfit back-payments if a person is declared disabled at the time of a hearing. Maybe not enough "proof" of disability if evidence mounts up along the legal journey?

I would like to hear from J.R. on this topic in more detail. Specifically, what can I do if presented with this option. Finding something online about this has not been easy. 

I hope my detailed path through this process with the help of the many people who have posted here will be a learning tool for others.

Just trying to understand it all and get my ducks in a row.

By the looks of things, with over 5000 views so far on this thread, disability questions and answers are in the minds of many.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 05:37:45 pm by mitch777 »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2013, 05:36:53 pm »
There is no understanding SSA, Mitch.  I'm being reviewed right now because I work part time and have been told I could be cut off from SSDI and have to pay back all the pay since last November.  All because last November I went over SGA by $24.   :o  BTW, the $24 over was because of being paid for a holiday.

Good luck with all this.  Hopefully JR will tune in soon.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2013, 05:42:10 pm »
There is no understanding SSA, Mitch.  I'm being reviewed right now because I work part time and have been told I could be cut off from SSDI and have to pay back all the pay since last November.  All because last November I went over SGA by $24.   :o  BTW, the $24 over was because of being paid for a holiday.

Good luck with all this.  Hopefully JR will tune in soon.

Thanks Betty but I refuse to stop trying to understand the system. Very sorry to hear of your mess! I wish you could just send them a check for $24 and stop the madness. :(

You are scamming the system. Shame on you.  ;D

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2013, 07:07:33 am »
Thanks Betty but I refuse to stop trying to understand the system.

Well, good luck.  Just when I think I've gotten SSA's "rules" down, something changes.  I believe they put out a new online "Redbook," (I think that's what it's called) every year.  But, when you get right down to it, it's someone's decision that matters.  So, I would imagine it would depend on the person, their preference, mood, etc. 

I had actually never heard of having to forfeit back pay in order to get disability.  That's a new one.

Offline mikejh

« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2013, 05:20:39 pm »
It seems so hard to apply for SSDI around the country. I live in NYC and here if you are diagnosed with aids you can go to HASA and you will be assigned a case worker. If you are unable to work due to disability the case worker send you to apply for SSDI and you can do that in the same office as they are. I was sent there in 2009 and did not even have to fill out the massive paper work that I got from GMHC the lady just asked a round of questions since my personal info was in the system it took 15 minutes. Then I went back to my case worker and she said I will get a letter from Social security. After 4 months I got a letter to see there physicians and went to the appointment with reports and test results that I had picked up from my specialists a total of 7 different physicians. I also took my Meds 18 different and went to my appointment. Social security's physician just looked at me when I gave him the list of my doctors and medications and shakedown his head. I sat there with all notes and test results and the bag with my Meds and he told me to leave. 2 weeks later I got a letter that I was approved.
 I have a lot of issues and have been sent for all kinds of tests and second opinions from my primary doctor and also the fact that he told me to bring all notes and test results to my appointment was to much for that young SSDI doctor so he did not know what to do with all information.

CD4   %
22 Sep 06   37     5  Started Atripla
5   Oct 06   82     9
1   Dec 06  258   13
25 Jan  07  263   14
1   May 07  403   18
6   Aug 07  438   22
7   Nov 07  417   19
30 jan   08  310   19
7   May  08  285   20
6   Aug  08  472   27
12  Nov 08  444   26
11  Feb  09 335    19
10  May  09  460  25
Jan 10 575 u/d
Feb 11 590 u/d
June 12 625 u/d
2013 646  u/d
2014 580 u/d
2015 590 u/d
2016 635 u/d
2017 620 u/d change to Genuvia
Jan 2018 580 u/d changed Triumeq
Feb 2019 620 u/d
March 2019 change

Offline mitch777

« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2013, 05:32:17 pm »
Thanks for the post Mike.

An AIDS diagnosis seems to help and NY seems more understanding in many ways as far as SSDI is concerned.

btw, your numbers are looking good! :)

m.

Offline mikejh

« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2013, 07:04:46 pm »
Thanks mitch,

Yes ny is probably one of the best states when it comes to benefits,

I was lucky when I started Atripla, my system responded very well, but in other areas I was not that lucky, have very bad neuropathy in hands, arms, feet and legs tried all kind of medications saw 2 neurologists and 2010 I had to go on heavy pain killers and it just get worse and worse with no return.  I'm also lucky to have a private LTD insurance and they have started to give me problems the last 2 months. Every other day I feel like I should just give up the Meds and let life have his way so I don't have to fight with them.
CD4   %
22 Sep 06   37     5  Started Atripla
5   Oct 06   82     9
1   Dec 06  258   13
25 Jan  07  263   14
1   May 07  403   18
6   Aug 07  438   22
7   Nov 07  417   19
30 jan   08  310   19
7   May  08  285   20
6   Aug  08  472   27
12  Nov 08  444   26
11  Feb  09 335    19
10  May  09  460  25
Jan 10 575 u/d
Feb 11 590 u/d
June 12 625 u/d
2013 646  u/d
2014 580 u/d
2015 590 u/d
2016 635 u/d
2017 620 u/d change to Genuvia
Jan 2018 580 u/d changed Triumeq
Feb 2019 620 u/d
March 2019 change

Offline mitch777

« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2013, 07:41:09 pm »
Thanks mitch,

Yes ny is probably one of the best states when it comes to benefits,

I was lucky when I started Atripla, my system responded very well, but in other areas I was not that lucky, have very bad neuropathy in hands, arms, feet and legs tried all kind of medications saw 2 neurologists and 2010 I had to go on heavy pain killers and it just get worse and worse with no return.  I'm also lucky to have a private LTD insurance and they have started to give me problems the last 2 months. Every other day I feel like I should just give up the Meds and let life have his way so I don't have to fight with them.
I hear your frustration but it's really not worth paying them the attention that you seem to be focusing on.
Your life is about you, not them. Period.
Also sorry about the pain you are dealing with. There are many people here that can relate. Reach out and ask questions. that is what these forums are about. :) (do a few searches on the topic on the forums to learn what others have said. ;).)
hope you get some relief from your pain.

m.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2013, 09:41:47 am »
Hey Mitch,

just a side note about SSDI

keep in mind that you have to be at least 60% or more disabled for SSDI

unless something has changed, but I don't think it has

good luck

HUGS

DEN
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline mitch777

« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2014, 06:33:26 pm »
It's been ages since my last post here because of the waiting game but thought i would keep the same thread going so that others see the lengthy process.

Just a bit of background...
turned down twice since filing and was waiting for my hearing date.

Well, today I received a letter from the SSA requesting several tidbits (lol) of information so that they can determine whether or not they can make a determination in my favor without having a hearing.

They are requesting ALL of my medical records starting from one year prior to the date I claimed that I was disabled to the present. That would be (i think) since December of 2010. Wow!

Also completed recent medical treatment, medications and work background questionnaires.

If they cannot make a decision on the record they will schedule a hearing.

I called my ID doc's office since that is the bulk of my records and they said I had to make a request in writing with the the Medical Records Department and that it would take 2-4 weeks to receive them.

How much fun is this?

Anyway, I'm happy to see the progress.

Offline zach

« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2014, 06:45:31 pm »
well damn, wish i'd been around for this thread when it was active.

after a quick read of previous posts, i'll throw my experiences in for perspective

i lost back pay, my disability onset date was determined not the date i started the process, but the date i was admitted to the hospital this year

aids dx did not help my case whatsoever

neither did wasting, or myelitis

suspicion of TB is what is listed. i do not, did not, and have never had tb. the county i live in compelled me to take tb meds, a nurse came to my home daily to give me a cup of pills and watch me swallow them.

i have since conclusively tested negative for tb.

i lost half of foodstamp when ssi started, expect to lose the rest once ssdi payments begin, 5 months after disability onset date

in the meantime, i get ssi, but i do not know if that will continue when ssdi kicks in. they call it concurrent, but no one seems to have an answer if i will or will not be concurrent.

my fear is that someone in the chain of communication is going to cry foul over the whole TB thing. it made no sense to me at all.

Offline initforlife

« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2014, 08:03:06 pm »
Zach, from what I understand is your ssi will stop once your ssd starts like  you , I'm waiting my 5 months right now too.  My ssd will start in Aug but I won't get a check till Sept, so until then I get ssi which I get the first of the month and in Sept it will switch to the  3.  I think the only way you will still get ssi is if your ssd is not as much  as your ssi and I believe they will make up the difference with ssi
sometimes it is best to say nothing at all. then to offend

Offline mitch777

« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2014, 09:24:07 pm »
Zach,

I don't even know how to begin replying to all of that. Thanks for listening to my saga. I really do hope it works out for you but I would encourage you at the same time, if you are up to the crapola, to delve into the unanswered questions. The system really sucks on the way to disability. I haven't dealt with SSI so I don't know the "rules" let alone your transition into SSDI. I truly wish you smooth sailing if that is even possible. It's exhausting but what other choice do we have?

What boggles my mind more than anything else is that I doubt more than 5,000 or so people on the entire planet have been living with this bugger longer than me (or is it I) out of the 30+ MILLION infected.

I'm one of the oldest living guinea pigs and our government still is unable to determine if I am disabled? I have read about others that have been poz for 25 years and still are able to work but I was fading fast at that point. Heck, I didn't even apply until I was 29 years pos. This October will mark my 32nd year.

Just plodding through the bureaucracy...

UGH! or le sigh as Henry says. lol.

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2014, 04:29:33 pm »
Sorry you have to endure this Mitch.  Hopefully there is a satisfactory resolution in the near future.    Hang in there.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline mitch777

« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2014, 06:32:15 pm »
Thanks bman. I've been hanging in for so long that at this point it has become the norm. 

Getting this most recent letter finally showing some progress just brings those frustrations with the system back to the surface.

I actually do feel pretty confident of a good outcome but I will be madder than a wet hen (my grandma's favorite phrase) if they try to deny any of my back pay.

Meeting next week with my attorney to get this ball rolling.

Offline zach

« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2014, 06:43:01 pm »
wanna see a mad hen, get hold of her while she's broody

where was your granny from? kind of an old southern saying

Offline mitch777

« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2014, 10:48:22 am »
wanna see a mad hen, get hold of her while she's broody

where was your granny from? kind of an old southern saying

Minnesota.

I posted this picture of her once before but thought you might enjoy it.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2014, 10:57:04 am »
I love her hunting outfit ... is that Macy's answer to stylish camouflage ? 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline zach

« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2014, 01:47:22 pm »
wow man, that is a fantastic picture
i got one for ya, gimme second

thats mine

Offline mitch777

« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2014, 02:26:14 pm »
Nice smile she's got there Zach. Where's the picnic basket?

Yep, Macy's camouflage. lol.

Offline zach

« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2014, 02:42:38 pm »
the story is thats where he proposed. i've stood there, its on my families property, i've thought of reproducing the shot with a cousin thats engaged. she's got a board on pinterest she thinks i haven't seen with ideas for wedding pictures. my wicked self is gonna make her cry with this idea

Offline mitch777

« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2014, 02:45:43 pm »
How romantic. Be wicked.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2014, 07:36:51 am »
Zach, whether or not you continue to get SSI once your SSDI becomes active depends on how much your SSDI is.  I do not know what SSA considers "too low" on SSDI, but if your SSDI is below whatever SSA has determined is "too low" of an amount, SSI will make up the difference.  This much I do know.

Mitch, I know how frustrating dealing with SSA is, and I know you know this.  I hope your meeting with your lawyer goes well and that you get all the back pay you deserve, because you do deserve it.  You've been through hell with this.  Hang in there sweetie, I have a good feeling about this.  Once SSA gets all your medical records, they may take a look at the huge stack, and decide they don't want to sort through them all and give it to you based on that. 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2014, 10:17:44 am »
Thanks Betty. That's the plan, bury them in paperwork. I imagine there may very well be over 100 pages for the time period that they are requesting.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2014, 09:57:13 am »
I couldn't remember the date that was put down as my disability start date when we filed. I asked my attorney last October and after fingering through my file she said it was 12/31/11. Well, when i went to see her to sign some medical release forms I found out that the date we used was 1/1/2006!

Now I have to dig through my medical files to see what she needs to request from my docs starting 1/1/2005. 14 1/2 years of records!

Such a fun project. lol. A trip down my medical memory lane. Ugh.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2014, 04:41:35 pm »
Oh M, you poor thing.  I wish you could just blink your eyes and make it appear. 

Does your attorney give any guess of how long she believes this may continue to take? 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2014, 06:56:31 pm »
Oh M, you poor thing.  I wish you could just blink your eyes and make it appear. 

Does your attorney give any guess of how long she believes this may continue to take?

It wasn't as bad as expected sifting through my records but after a few hours it brought on a headache.  :P

My attorney is lazy and this is not her area of expertise. She hasn't a clue as to how long this will go on but I suspect once we submit the requested info which will probably take 4-6 weeks to gather we will get a hearing date sometime in November or December. Just my guess.

I did wonder how far back-pay is allowed and I found this:
http://www.disabilitybenefitscenter.org/blog/back-pay-limit

Encouraging but who knows what the judge will decide.

Offline Since1993

« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2014, 01:36:38 pm »
It's been ages since my last post here because of the waiting game but thought i would keep the same thread going so that others see the lengthy process.

Just a bit of background...
turned down twice since filing and was waiting for my hearing date.

Well, today I received a letter from the SSA requesting several tidbits (lol) of information so that they can determine whether or not they can make a determination in my favor without having a hearing.

They are requesting ALL of my medical records starting from one year prior to the date I claimed that I was disabled to the present. That would be (i think) since December of 2010. Wow!

Also completed recent medical treatment, medications and work background questionnaires.

If they cannot make a decision on the record they will schedule a hearing.

I called my ID doc's office since that is the bulk of my records and they said I had to make a request in writing with the the Medical Records Department and that it would take 2-4 weeks to receive them.

How much fun is this?

Anyway, I'm happy to see the progress.

Mitch,

Most initial denials of SSA disability benefits are due to insufficient evidence (medical records) to approve the claim.  Making sure your medical records are sent to SSA is extremely important, requiring follow-up with the provider you are requesting them from.  Whatever other information SSA is requesting (regardless how silly or repetitive) make sure to send expeditiously.  Keep in mind when answering questions related to function, pain, etc., make sure to detail how these issues restrict your daily activitites.  Fatigue, diarrhea, depression, all of it.

It is also prudent to contact the Disability Determination Service Adjudicator who is handling your case to make sure they received everything. 

Can't express how important this all is, because not doing it could delay your claim for another year.

Offline Since1993

« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2014, 02:07:22 pm »
SSI vs SSDI and Concurrent Claims:

1. Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a Social Security needs-based disability program for people who haven't worked enough to garner enough credits to receive Social Security Disability Income (SSDI).  Approval for SSI is two-fold.  First, you medical claim has to be approved, then your assets have to be taken into consideration.  You cannot have over $2000 in any bank account at any given time.  You can own (1) home and (1) car.  Retirement accounts, stocks, bonds etc are all considered assets and calculated in determination.  The monthly amount paid for SSI for 2014 is $721.  This amount can be reduced by 1/3 if someone else provides your housing and food.  Automatically eligible for Medicaid.

SSI benefits began one-month waiting after your initial application.  You are required to report any change in assets greater than $2000.

2.  Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) is an insurance program provided by Social Security for people who have worked and achieved enough work credits to qualify.  The Matrix how this is determined is provided by SSA here:

http://www.ssa.gov/retire2/credits3.htm

SSDI is not income-based, meaning, your assets are not taken into consideration but you still have to meet the medical requirements to receive disability benefits.  The maximum amount of SSDI you can receive monthly in 2014 is $2642.  Your monthly benefit is determined by how much money you paid into the system the last ten best earning years of your working years.

SSDI benefits begin after a five-month waiting period after the month of your established onset of disability.  You are not required to report any change in assets.  Medicare eligibility becomes effective 29 months from the established onset date of disability (24 months after 5 month waiting period).

3.  Concurrent SSI/SSDI Claims:

There are times when people who have little to no assets qualify for SSI and SSDI because they also have enough required work credits.

This is how it works:

Once you medically qualify for disability payments, you will be paid SSI  $721 monthly for the first six months (minus 1st month), and then then SSDI payments beginnning the sixth month going forward.   

If your SSDI claim amount is > than $721, your SSI payments payments will cease at month six and you will continue to be an SSDI recipient.  Medicare eligibility begins in 24 months.

If your SSDI amount happens to be less than $721 monthly, you will automatically qualify for SSI.  The distinction here, being, that you would immediately qualify for Medicaid while waiting for Medicare eligbility in 29 months.  This is considered a concurrent claim.

I hope this helps someone.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2014, 02:14:40 pm »
Thanks Since.

My attorney received a more detailed letter from them and it showed what records they already have. We are just supposed to fill in the holes for the time period they are requesting.

I had a physical assessment test about a year ago that showed objective proof of my disability. This will be an important part of the whole package.

As far as filling out those function, pain, etc. forms, my attorney did a pretty good job relating it to my daily activities. I've been told that I am too honest but her guidance did help. Sometimes when I'm feeling rather well I tend to forget or downplay how the aidsy stuff takes a toll on me when I'm feeling like crap. She took care of that! lol.

If they still can't make a determination after this batch of additional records a ALJ hearing will be scheduled. I'm not sure at that point, having all of my medical records already, what more they will be looking for. Maybe I should go on a strict diet and loose 20 pounds. (just kidding)

ps- I'm further into this process than you may realize. I applied well over 2 years ago for SSDI. I've read all of what is available online from the government SSDI website but it was good of you to post it here anyway for others to see.  :)

« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 02:21:02 pm by mitch777 »

Offline Since1993

« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2014, 02:53:58 pm »
FYI, on February 26, 2014, The Social Security Administration has published a Notice of Proposed Rule-Making (NPRM) in the Federal Register to alter the listings for Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Infection disability claims.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2014-02-26/html/2014-04124.htm

Offline mitch777

« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2014, 11:10:12 am »
Iv'e got great news to report! I have a hearing date!! November 14th.

I'm not sure why they didn't wait for the medical records that they requested. The hearing will be held in Hartford via video conference with the judge being in Rhode Island. I think Hartford is short staffed still.

Anyway, I hope this all goes well.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2014, 11:12:18 am »
Congrats ! Its been a long time ah-coming .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2014, 11:15:53 am »
Congrats ! Its been a long time ah-coming .

Thanks! 2 years and 6 months.

I guess if when approved I would be eligible for Medicare right away. Can't wait to say farewell to Acreedo.  :)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2014, 12:10:29 pm »
You must be doing a happy dance this morning.  I remember how I felt when I finally got my hearing date (after 3 years).  congrats

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2014, 03:14:43 pm »
Great news.  Good luck,  hope you finally get approved.

Bertrand Russell

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2014, 07:57:35 pm »
Congrats Mitch!  I know that's a relief.  I will definitely be keeping you in my daily anxieties. :-*

Offline mitch777

« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2014, 08:54:47 pm »
Thanks you guys. The congrats will be needed after the hearing I hope.

Planning on writing a compelling letter to attach to this next batch of paperwork from the standpoint of a LTS living 32 years with this bugger. I know the medical reports have the most weight but... who better than me to explain to the judge to get him to understand that I'm one of the oldest guinea pigs around and that there is much more going on that won't show up in a blood test?

Oh! And my attorney called them back today and asked if it would be ok if we had the hearing in person (in Rhode Island). They said no problem so a face to face hearing it shall be.

Offline zach

« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2014, 11:05:55 pm »
write the letter, you got it this time.

Offline Since1993

« Reply #99 on: August 06, 2014, 02:16:19 am »
Thanks you guys. The congrats will be needed after the hearing I hope.

Planning on writing a compelling letter to attach to this next batch of paperwork from the standpoint of a LTS living 32 years with this bugger. I know the medical reports have the most weight but... who better than me to explain to the judge to get him to understand that I'm one of the oldest guinea pigs around and that there is much more going on that won't show up in a blood test?

Oh! And my attorney called them back today and asked if it would be ok if we had the hearing in person (in Rhode Island). They said no problem so a face to face hearing it shall be.

Mitch, if are eventually approved, it will likely be based upon vocational allowance since your medical records don't have specific data to indicate you are eligible under the HIV listing alone (legal definition).  Your other ailments will be taken into consideration.  At this point in the process, the most important thing you can communicate to any Administrative Law Judge/Vocational Expert who are present at your hearing, is "how your level of function has been limited by HIV, your other ailments and medications you take."  Trust me, they will ask you many questions about it, so prepare yourself accordingly.  It is your responsibility to provide details of how your function is limited, evidence that you are taking prescribed therapy (continue seeking medical treatment) and how these limitations effect your ability to work.  Be bluntly honest and don't embellish and you should be fine. 

Your chances of being approved exponentially increase at the hearing level.  Good luck.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 02:20:32 am by Since1993 »

Offline mitch777

« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2014, 03:58:02 pm »
So, I found out who my judge is going to be. I checked out his % of approvals and he has the lowest by far. Only 22%! The national average is 44%. Getting more anxious.

I did finish my letter and sent it to my attorney. She liked it and thought it was well written. Also been watching a few youtube videos about ALJ hearings that have been helpful. About 8 weeks to go.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2014, 09:03:23 pm »
So, I found out who my judge is going to be. I checked out his % of approvals and he has the lowest by far. Only 22%! The national average is 44%. Getting more anxious.

I did finish my letter and sent it to my attorney. She liked it and thought it was well written. Also been watching a few youtube videos about ALJ hearings that have been helpful. About 8 weeks to go.

You have so many valid issue documented I can't imagine you being denied . I know its nerve wracking all the same .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #102 on: September 13, 2014, 09:28:51 pm »
You have so many valid issue documented I can't imagine you being denied . I know its nerve wracking all the same .

Objective "proof" is pretty slim I think. If I get turned down at this point I will feel crushed. It's kind of hard to focus for me when I am feeling so stressed. I know I have zero chance of ever working again. It's beyond nerve racking. I'm bushed, I'm angry at this system for raking me over the coals, and with everything else going on in my life the added pressure of a hearing is, well, it sucks. I feel like a sick circus poodle jumping through the hoops for a "treat" that I should be entitled to at this point in my life.

Offline Since1993

« Reply #103 on: September 13, 2014, 10:34:28 pm »

Unfavorable
Favorable
Partially-Favorable

Did the statistic you found separate the three different types of findings?  Favorable and Partially-Favorable are approvals.

Anyway, it is futile to assign ALJ approval ratings to your disability claim because medical evidence of record and your functional ability to earn at least $1070 monthly is what will ultimately decide your approval or denial.  If the Vocational Expert at the hearing states there are no jobs in the national economy you can perform, it will largely improve your chances.  Detailed medical evidence of your diminished Residual Functional Capacity assists the ALJ and Vocational Expert to make the correct decision.  You are likely in later stages of the 5-step Sequential Evaluation Process and if you are approved, it will likely be based on vocational allowance. 

Statistically speaking, your chances of being approved on appeal vs. initial determination are significantly higher.  Keep going to your physicians appointment, keep taking your medications and stay proactive in your disability claim by checking at least monthly on the status of how things are progressing.

The process is long and pain-staking, but knowing you have an attorney should lessen your anxiety because if an attorney took your case, there is a very high probability you will win.  Sometimes you just have to let go and allow the process to unfold, understanding you've given due diligence.  Positive-thinking yields positive results.

Wishing you a positive result!

Offline zach

« Reply #104 on: September 14, 2014, 01:09:49 am »
good progress on the letter. and when you speak, come from the heart, you'll nail it man. it is so messed up that the nature of the beast is you don't actually fight the system until you're sickest and weakest. the cards are stacked from the start against.

good luck man, really, i want to see it work out

me, one more month of the waiting period, transitioning from SSI to SSD, losing medicaid, and medicare won't kick in for an additional year. worried there

Offline Since1993

« Reply #105 on: September 14, 2014, 02:22:03 am »
one more month of the waiting period, transitioning from SSI to SSD, losing medicaid, and medicare won't kick in for an additional year. worried there

Zach,

No need to worry.

Once you lose Medicaid, you will be eligible to apply for an Affordable Care Act plan with Advanced Premium Tax Credit/Cost-Sharing Reduction and Ryan White Part B/ADAP assistance which should eliminate out-of-pocket costs associated with HIV-related medications on your states HIV formulary and premium payments.  Just remember to choose a SILVER plan and check the formulary of the insurance plans to make sure the medications you take are covered on their formulary.

Medicare will begin 29 months after your Established Onset Date of Disability, or 24 months after the first date you retroactively begin receiving SSDI disability payments.  Ryan White Part B/ADAP will cover the cost of your Medicare Part D prescription drug plan and co-pays associated with HIV-related medications on your states formulary.  Unfortunately, Medicare Part B premiums will automatically be deducted from your monthly disability payment cannot be reimbursed by the Ryan White Act.

Offline Blkpoznc34

« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2014, 10:36:38 am »
Hi Mitch777,

I am sorry you are having to wait and deal with the stress of this long process. I was finally approved five months ago at the ALJ level after a two year wait and denial letters. Just remember that you are your own best advocate. When I told my HIV doctor that I could no longer work due the pain from Peripheral Neuropathy, Fatigue, lack of concentration and a list of other issues. The first thing he told me was I probably would not get approved from my numbers alone even though he has documented all my symptoms. I was also seeing a Neurologist for my PN.

From that day forward I made sure that every visit the doctor and his nurse assistance documented every symptom I was having and I had them make a copy for my records. I asked my HIV doctor and Neurologist to write letters stating that I could no longer work with the reasons why listed. I sent a copy to my attorney so that when my hearing date finally came my medical records were no issue. My attorney said he has never had a client so on top of that. I know that is what my attorney was getting paid to do but I was not leaving that to chance. My attorney had me meet with him in person the day before my hearing date and he went over my entire file and medical history. He told me how the process was going to go and all the potential questions the judge and the vocational specialist may ask. Trust me there were many. On the day of the hearing I had no one to take me so I took a Taxi. Do not drive yourself. The first question the judge asked me was how did I get there today. Just be honest and tell the ALJ and vocational spec. your symptoms and the difficulties of day to day living for you. How you cannot work. During my hearing he even asked how I bath, get my meals, check my mail, handle my finances, my support system, do I have any pets, who does my laundry, grocery shopping....etc. In the end the vocational specialist said there were no jobs that I could perform and that he just happened to be in the parking lot when I arrived and he saw the difficulties that I had getting out of the taxi with my walking cane (which was prescribed my doctor) and bag of paperwork. Even though the ALJ asked me a lot of questions which I answered truthfully he was very sympathetic to my condition and said it was a shame that SSA and their doctors could not see that I am disabled. He wished me well and I got fully favorable decision in the mail about 40 days later.

I hope some of this information helps you in your journey. I have never sat down and wrote such a long response but others on this forum have done it for me in the past and it's time to pass it on. Thank you all BTW...Remember to be honest and it will all work out in your favor. Good Luck... :)

Offline Buckmark

• Henry's Home Page
« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2014, 11:03:34 am »
Mitch,

I'm sure you are very well-prepared.  Try not to think about the judge's record.  Once he sees your situation, he'll concur with your disability.  I know this has been a long and hard road for you, and that you are frustrated and anxious. 

Hugs,

Henry
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."

Offline mitch777

« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2014, 11:31:44 am »
Thanks guys.

@Since- 22% favorable, I think his unfavorable was somewhere around 59% and the rest were dismissed. I know it's not logical to assume that it means that I have less of a chance of success based on his #'s but the nervous nellie in me doesn't always listen.

I have had 180 medical appointments in the past 4 years and I will fill 108 prescriptions this year so he will surely see that I am getting regular care.

@Zach- Thanks!

I hope things go smoothly for you in the coming months. I agree with Since but I also remember how the system works where you live. Wishing you the best!

@Blk- Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I have been my own advocate because I'm not sure how competent my attorney is. Disability cases are not her usual work but I'm stuck with her now. I tried to find one that mainly focuses on disability but everyone turned me down because I was self-employed.

I have to keep poking her with a stick. Should be interesting this week or next to see what she received in regards to my medical records. She keeps saying that she plans on speaking with my ID doc but hasn't yet. ::) I do have letters from my neurologist and psychiatrist. My attorney also said that I will be getting tired of seeing her soon as she plans on spending quite a bit of time prepping me. I tend to minimize my issues and I certainly need to snap out of that quick! Maybe she needs to taser me from time to time.

Many of the questions you brought up were listed on a disability website I was reading yesterday. Good to know these things!

Glad you were finally approved!!

@Henry- Thanks! I'll try. lol. Hope you are right about the judge. I just have a vision of him being like Judge Judy. :D

Offline britchick

« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2014, 02:43:37 am »
mitch777,

Not long to go now.Keeping my fingers crossed for you.You have certainly got all the paperwork and i have a good feeling about your case.

Wishing you the best of luck.

britchickxx

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #110 on: September 15, 2014, 08:30:03 pm »
I have a good feeling about this also, M.  But, before I collaborate on that I want to say one thing to Since: 

SINCE: Please remember that insurances, including Ryan White, are specific to certain states. For example,what works in Michigan doesn't work in Indiana, and when I was a case manager in Indiana, the insurance was specific to counties.  For instance, where I worked in South Bend, we did not have Ryan White.  So, you need to remember, while doling out the "advice," that plans are different in different states.  If you have specific information about a specific state, you need to provide a link instead of just giving advice like you've been doing. It can be misleading. Please and thanks for your cooperation.

M, I really do have a good feeling about this, and I would not say that if I truly didn't.  You've been through hell and back with this.  Don't give up.  Get ready to wow the judge with all your disabilities (lol).  Really, keep pushing on.  You'll get there.  :-*

Offline mitch777

« Reply #111 on: September 15, 2014, 11:34:01 pm »
Thank you Brit. You have been one of my earliest supporters in this thread and it tickles me pink to know that you still follow my adventure after this much time has passed. That goes for the rest of you too.

M, I really do have a good feeling about this, and I would not say that if I truly didn't.  You've been through hell and back with this.  Don't give up.  Get ready to wow the judge with all your disabilities (lol).  Really, keep pushing on.  You'll get there.  :-*

Betty,

It's good to know how confident you are. Yep. Wow him. lol. Maybe I need to get my hair thinned by 80% and turn the rest gray just for affect. lol. Thanks sweetums.

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2014, 09:11:41 am »
Maybe I need to get my hair thinned by 80% and turn the rest gray just for affect. lol. Thanks sweetums.

Whatever it takes.  Maybe show up looking like Tim Conway's old man in the Carol Burnett Show.   ;)   I hope it gets resolved favorably soon.  What an ordeal they put you through -  it's really a shame.

You mentioned earlier that you were discouraged from applying  because you were self employed.  I'm curious why that would matter.

Bertrand Russell

Offline mitch777

« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2014, 12:20:05 pm »
Whatever it takes.  Maybe show up looking like Tim Conway's old man in the Carol Burnett Show.   ;)   

You mentioned earlier that you were discouraged from applying  because you were self employed.  I'm curious why that would matter.

lol and thanks!

I'm not sure. Nobody was willing to ever explain why. The SSA doesn't care about income as long as it's unearned income. It seemed strange at the time and still does.

Offline Since1993

« Reply #114 on: September 16, 2014, 07:48:29 pm »
But, before I collaborate on that I want to say one thing to Since: 

SINCE: Please remember that insurances, including Ryan White, are specific to certain states. For example,what works in Michigan doesn't work in Indiana, and when I was a case manager in Indiana, the insurance was specific to counties.  For instance, where I worked in South Bend, we did not have Ryan White.  So, you need to remember, while doling out the "advice," that plans are different in different states.  If you have specific information about a specific state, you need to provide a link instead of just giving advice like you've been doing. It can be misleading. Please and thanks for your cooperation.

Thank you so much for publicly bringing this to my attention.  The gentleman in question was admittedly "worried" about his transition from SSI/Medicaid to Medicare and I aptly gave him possible OPTIONS as to how the process could work.  I typically explain the Ryan White Part B/ADAP process in generic terms, always often deferring and recommending they contact their local ASO who would have more specific information about their states Ryan White/ADAP/ACA programs.  I don't have the time or energy to research every states Ryan White/ADAP information.  I am not a national medical case manager and I absolutely refuse to do that in any internet forum I participate within.

No good deed goes unpunished.  The reason I became involved in this forum was because of the lacking information given to people who asked for help because they were confused with the process.  Sometimes people just want to know their options to know which way things go...just a sliver of hope to solve their worries.  Typical two or three sentence replies to complex Ryan White/ADAP/ACA/Medicare questions were the norm here, or questions going unanswered for days.

I've gotten negative, judgmental feedback in just about every forum I've participated in, even when just posting articles of interest.  I don't do dysfunctional internet forums and clearly, this is not the group of people I want to interact with going forward.  Thank you for spurring this ephiphany. 

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #115 on: September 17, 2014, 04:30:55 am »
I aptly gave him possible OPTIONS as to how the process could work.  I typically explain the Ryan White Part B/ADAP process in generic terms, always often deferring and recommending they contact their local ASO who would have more specific information about their states Ryan White/ADAP/ACA programs.  I don't have the time or energy to research every states Ryan White/ADAP information.  I am not a national medical case manager and I absolutely refuse to do that in any internet forum I participate within.

Ah, but you give very specific information: 
Once you lose Medicaid, you will be eligible to apply for an Affordable Care Act plan with Advanced Premium Tax Credit/Cost-Sharing Reduction and Ryan White Part B/ADAP assistance which should eliminate out-of-pocket costs associated with HIV-related medications on your states HIV formulary and premium payments.  Just remember to choose a SILVER plan and check the formulary of the insurance plans to make sure the medications you take are covered on their formulary.

Medicare will begin 29 months after your Established Onset Date of Disability, or 24 months after the first date you retroactively begin receiving SSDI disability payments.  Ryan White Part B/ADAP will cover the cost of your Medicare Part D prescription drug plan and co-pays associated with HIV-related medications on your states formulary.  Unfortunately, Medicare Part B premiums will automatically be deducted from your monthly disability payment cannot be reimbursed by the Ryan White Act.

When I was a case manager at the ASO in SB, Indiana, the only way someone would have their Part D premium and copay paid by ADAP (again, there was no Ryan White at the ASO I was at) was if the client was over 65. 

Also, in Indiana, if someone is approved for Medicaid, it pays the Part B premium.

Nowhere did you refer the person to contact his ASO.

Again, ACA plans, Ryan White/ADAP, Medicaid, are very state specific.  If you do not want to research someone's state's plans, then please do not state specifics.

Also, nice swan song.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #116 on: January 08, 2015, 08:49:39 pm »
I know this is an old topic that I have not added to for months but the pressure is on.

My hearing is January 21st. 13 days away. I've been scrambling on my own (no help from my lawyer) gathering information and bringing copies of Resididual Functional Capacity (RFC) forms to the two docs that I felt would make the biggest impact. One is in and expect the other tomorrow, fingers crossed. This last minuet shit should have been taken care of months ago. I didn't hire my lawyer as a hand-holder but that's what I ended up with. ::)

Nothing bugs me more than someone who repeatedly says they will do something and doesn't follow through, especially if they are being paid. I'm stuck with her now and am worried about her ability.

Assigned to the judge with the lowest approval rating. 24%. Ugh. (forgive me if I already mentioned this but I'm a zombie these days.)

I thank you ALL for the support you have given me through this long 2 1/2 year process.

If I seem out of touch with you all it's because my brain function is getting worse and find it difficult to keep up with all that is going on. *tangent*

Depression and anxiety are settling in deeper.

Need whatever support that you can muster in the days ahead. I can't imagine that I could be turned down but stranger things have happened and I'm scared to death. Another appeal would take another 1 1/2- 2 years. Time I simply can't afford. Physically, mentally, or financially.

The final stretch.

Hope you enjoyed the ride. lol  ??? :P

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #117 on: January 08, 2015, 09:07:27 pm »
M, I hate that you're going through this.  I can't imagine a negative judgment either.  I wish I had more stellar words, but I am dealing with my own disaster. But you're in my thoughts definitely.

Betty

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #118 on: January 09, 2015, 12:23:53 am »
Mark,

I am sorry to hear about all the stress.  I hate that you have to deal with all this pressure and worry, on top of the medical issues.  I have always heard most are granted benefits, once it gets to the judge.  I did not even know you could find out the judges approval stats. 

Your lawyer should be handling this.  If you are approved, you will get a letter telling you that.  In that letter, there is info on how to appeal the fee your lawyer gets.  I know a guy, who did just that.  He was doing all the work-- getting medical reports, etc, etc.  The lawyer was not doing much and just sent some stranger to the hearing, who he had never met.  And, he had to do all the talking.  This stranger lawyer barely said a word.  So, he appealed the fee and detailed all that.  The lawyer got $6,000.  He said the lawyer should get no more than $3,000.  To his surprised, the judge forced the lawyer to return $3,000.  He wondered whether he should have asked for more back and whether the judge could only refund the amount he asked.

I wish you all the best.  The guy I just discussed said he explained his medical situation to the judge and how his life had changed, instead of just handing over the disc of medical records and not saying anything. 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2015, 05:55:52 pm »
Thanks Betty and Ted!

I had an appointment today with my attorney.

The good news is that my ID doc was able to email his report to me in the morning and he even called me a few minutes later to see what I thought of it. He did a great job!

I think those two reports should hold substantial weight. I didn't chastise my lawyer for not even knowing or thinking about these reports and that I had to scramble to get them in on time. Oh well.

She has been helpful in some ways along the line such as gathering some of my older medical reports and recommending me to my psychiatrist. Both she and her partner will be attending my hearing and they plan to coach me on the way there so that it will be fresh in my mind. Got to give some credit there as well. I doubt there will be a reason to contest her fee.

I reread some of this thread and I have to tell you times have changed. In one of my earlier replies I stated that the approval rating back then was about 85%. Now in Connecticut it is in the 50% ball park and much worse in RI which is where I ended up.

My lawyer said that they have been cracking down harder lately which of coarse is making my anxiety worse. :P

I got a cheer-me-up call from Jeff today checking in on his "neurotic friend". lol.

Betty, thanks for responding in the middle of your own crisis! I asked Jeff about you. You haven't left my thoughts as well. Please take care and follow the docs orders to a T!

One more meeting next Friday with the lawyer before the big event. It's been a long ride and I just want to get off! (maybe that could have been expressed differently, lol.)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #120 on: January 09, 2015, 07:18:58 pm »
What are friends for  ;D
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline zach

« Reply #121 on: January 09, 2015, 07:25:19 pm »
look aidsy... it helps. i looked like death, i think they were scared to even breath the same air.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #122 on: January 09, 2015, 07:45:07 pm »
Try and keep you nerves in check these next couple of weeks.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #123 on: January 09, 2015, 08:21:50 pm »
What are friends for  ;D

exactly. lol.

look aidsy... it helps. i looked like death, i think they were scared to even breath the same air.

my lawyer advised against this. lol. things may be different up here. she suggested a suit and tie.  ::)

Try and keep you nerves in check these next couple of weeks.

Ha! I don't think this is a possibility but will do my best. I often wonder if my lawyer WANTS me to be on edge. :-\

Offline Buckmark

• Henry's Home Page
« Reply #124 on: January 10, 2015, 03:18:02 pm »
Mark,

I'm so hoping that your SSDI is approved in this upcoming appeal.  I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Hugs,

Henry

Offline mitch777

« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2015, 02:48:02 pm »
Mark,

I'm so hoping that your SSDI is approved in this upcoming appeal.  I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Hugs,

Henry

Thanks Henry. Are you able to cross your toes too?  :D

Offline mitch777

« Reply #126 on: January 21, 2015, 04:59:02 pm »
Hey guys,

So, hopefully we are coming close to ending this thread.

I had my hearing today and I think it went well. The judge still needed to have my attorney send some info about me being "self-employed" without actually working.

Then he almost threw out the reports that were submitted from my ID doc and psychiatrist because he thought they were sent in late. They actually were late by one day due to MLK Day but he either forgot about it or let it slide. Whew! (Damn lawyers!) I was the one who found out these reports were important and did all of the leg work to get them completed. On the way home she said that they were the core of my case and gave me no credit of course.  ::) She has 14 days to get him what he needs.

Anyway, the questioning wasn't difficult and towards the end of the hour he presented questions to the vocational specialist giving hypothetical health limitations for someone of my age, work experience, and education. By the time he got around to the third hypothetical that involved some of my health issues, the vocational expert specialist said there were no jobs that could be found.

My attorney and her partner both felt confident that the judge had faith in my testimony and that I would be approved.

I feel pretty confident too but won't be counting my chickens until the approval letter arrives. More waiting. :P

I slept 4 hours last night and am still more wired than tired.

Thank you all once again for your support along the way! It meant more than you know.

Hopefully this thread will help in some way to others going through this process.

I will let you all know when the letter arrives.

Will be sleeping a bit more soundly tonight!

Mark

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #127 on: January 21, 2015, 05:14:55 pm »
Just curious but what does "being "self-employed" without actually working" actually mean? That's confusing me too.

Glad things seem to have gone OK today though.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2015, 05:28:32 pm »
Good news M!  I knew you weren't going to sleep last night.  Waiting sucks, but hopefully it won't be long. So happy!

Offline mitch777

« Reply #129 on: January 21, 2015, 07:11:14 pm »
Just curious but what does "being "self-employed" without actually working" actually mean? That's confusing me too.

Glad things seem to have gone OK today though.

That's why I put self-employed in quotes. I still had to file my taxes the same way whether I was working or not so we need to convince the judge that the income that showed on my taxes was investment income (which it was seeing as though I wasn't working) and not SGA (substantial gainful activity or something akin to that).

You could be a millionaire making money in the stock market and get disability and this is no different. It's just harder to prove. They heard my testimony and there was an affidavit from Kenny stating as much but I'm not sure if that ever got into the record. I suggested that my attorney get an affidavit or two from our employees as well. She thought it was a good idea but I have my doubts if she will follow through. More legwork for me I guess.

She already contacted my accountant to get clarification from him about why I still needed to file my taxes as i did. Geez, you would think they would know that but it's the government hard at work I guess.

If there is a miss-step by my attorney at this point I might be denied and have to appeal again. It would probably mean another year or two wait only to face the same judge. Not a position that I am up for. That said, I think it won't come to that. If it does I will fight to reduce or eliminate her fee. I have saved every email from day one. Her lack of answers and action speak volumes. The judge didn't seem too fond of her either at the beginning but he lightened up after time went on. I felt a bit embarrassed by her at times by her demeanor with the judge but maybe that's to be expected to a degree but what do I know.

On another note, he asked me about my trip to Chicago. I think I may have mentioned it in one of those lonnnnng forms that I filled out twice for the first two go-rounds. (It must have been one of a zillion questions asked). Anyway, he wanted to know why I went. I explained to him how involved that I've been in these forums and that we get together once a year. He then asked if I spoke at the meeting and I explained that it was just a get-together with other members and that we have a memorial service for those we have lost. I think it hit him in just the right way, as it should.

He was much younger than I expected! 40ish at most and seemed like a reasonable guy just doing his job.

Ok, writing a book now.

And Betty, you know me well! lol. Early bed for me tonight and will try to sleep in tomorrow but I just may get up early and soak in the knowledge that all will be well. I think.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #130 on: January 21, 2015, 08:15:54 pm »
That all makes sense and it's what I thought maybe you were referring to -- as a sole proprietor it's not as cut and dry as showing lack of regular paychecks, etc. Still, it can't be the only time they've encountered this either.

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #131 on: January 22, 2015, 10:04:25 am »
Glad it went well Mitch.  Hope you willfinally get approved.  What a long road this has been for you. 

What they have put you through to simply get a benefit that you are entitled to, certainly seems unfair to me.

Bertrand Russell

Offline wolfter

« Reply #132 on: January 22, 2015, 01:16:26 pm »
Hey guys,

Anyway, the questioning wasn't difficult and towards the end of the hour he presented questions to the vocational specialist giving hypothetical health limitations for someone of my age, work experience, and education. By the time he got around to the third hypothetical that involved some of my health issues, the vocational expert specialist said there were no jobs that could be found.

This will hold more weight than anything.  My attorney indicated that the vocation expert holds a lot of power in the decision making process.

UGH, an entire hour?  How exhausting!!!!  I'm glad mine lastest mere minutes.  In my case, the judge never asked the vocational expert a single question.

Offline Buckmark

• Henry's Home Page
« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2015, 09:56:53 am »
It sounds like your hearing went rather well.  If the vocational specialist said there were no suitable jobs for you, that sounds encouraging.  I hope you get your approval soon!

Offline mitch777

« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2015, 12:39:44 pm »
It sounds like your hearing went rather well.  If the vocational specialist said there were no suitable jobs for you, that sounds encouraging.  I hope you get your approval soon!

The vocational guy was just responding to the judges hypotheticals and not me in particular but the fact that he (the judge) ended up describing my health issues more closely in the third hypothetical leads me to think that I will be approved... as long as he believes me and all of my medical reports. I hope the approval comes soon too!! All of this waiting makes me feel like I'm in line for the ladies room at a Bieber concert.

The relationship I have with Acreedo will end with me doing the monkey dance. Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait!!!

Thanks again everyone.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2015, 12:45:20 pm »
The vocational guy was just responding to the judges hypotheticals and not me in particular but the fact that he (the judge) ended up describing my health issues more closely in the third hypothetical leads me to think that I will be approved... as long as he believes me and all of my medical reports. I hope the approval comes soon too!! All of this waiting makes me feel like I'm in line for the ladies room at a Bieber concert.

The relationship I have with Acreedo will end with me doing the monkey dance. Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait!!!

Thanks again everyone.

You poor guy … waiting on the verdict with your panties sopping wet .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2015, 12:54:25 pm »
You poor guy … waiting on the verdict with your panties sopping wet .

I KNOW! lol

Offline DodgerDawg

• "Dude, It Could Be Worse"
« Reply #137 on: February 21, 2015, 11:31:57 am »
Any news? How are you feeling? What are you feeling? It's been almost a month since your last post, and after reading this entire thread... I feel as if I'm sitting on the edge of a cliff. Inquiring minds want to know? DD
January 2014 CD4 = 5      .03%  VL = 1,800,000
June      2014 CD4 = 206  .15%  VL =            48
January 2015 CD4  = 211  .13%  VL =            71
June      2015 CD4 = 155  .12%  VL =             UD
July       2015 CD4 = 148  .11%  VL =             48

Offline mitch777

« Reply #138 on: February 23, 2015, 02:29:15 pm »
Any news? How are you feeling? What are you feeling? It's been almost a month since your last post, and after reading this entire thread... I feel as if I'm sitting on the edge of a cliff. Inquiring minds want to know? DD

Thanks for asking but no news yet. I'm not really sure what I'm feeling these days. I felt pretty good after the hearing and now it's just waiting. Just trying not to think about it too much I guess.

Don't worry, I will be sure to let you know how the story ends... or doesn't. Glad you enjoyed my saga. lol.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #139 on: February 23, 2015, 04:56:38 pm »

Thanks again everyone.

Not sure how I missed this particular sentence.  But here's hoping you get to do a new monkey dance with a new insurance company real soon. 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #140 on: February 23, 2015, 05:53:25 pm »
Not sure how I missed this particular sentence.  But here's hoping you get to do a new monkey dance with a new insurance company real soon.
Thanks Greg. Me too. At least I will know that I can pick up my meds at my local pharmacy if I'm deemed disabled by the powers that be.

btw- I had to fill one of my scripts today and of course it didn't go smoothly. It never does. Needed to talk to a supervisor as usual. The first person I dealt with said the insurance company wouldn't cover it until March 3rd even though my last one was filled on February 2nd. Ugh.  ::) Supervisor said February 25th. But I digress.  >:(

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #141 on: February 23, 2015, 06:13:05 pm »
Thinking positive thoughts for you Mitch. 

Bertrand Russell

Offline mitch777

« Reply #142 on: February 23, 2015, 06:35:24 pm »
Thinking positive thoughts for you Mitch.
Thanks Bman. I know you and so many here have kept me sane during this whole thing. I'm in a pretty mellow state at the moment but if I get turned down all bets are off and would hope you all storm the SSA office with pitchforks and torches. (just kidding)  :-\  :)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #143 on: February 24, 2015, 05:46:21 am »
The waiting is the worst.  I hope you hear something soon M! 

Betty

Offline JR Gabbard

• Union Jacks
« Reply #144 on: February 24, 2015, 08:21:30 pm »
Hey Mitch!
When the vocational expert says there are no jobs in the economy that you could do, it means you win.  In technical legal terms, you have met the fifth prong of the analysis.
Congratulations!
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth,
The minor fall, the major lift,
The baffled king composing Hallelujah!

L. Cohen

Offline mitch777

« Reply #145 on: February 25, 2015, 09:17:56 pm »
Hey Mitch!
When the vocational expert says there are no jobs in the economy that you could do, it means you win.  In technical legal terms, you have met the fifth prong of the analysis.
Congratulations!

It's great hearing that from you JR. My attorney was thinking the same but not with as much confidence.

Thanks for the congrats! Still, I have to see it in writing. lol.

Offline DodgerDawg

« Reply #146 on: March 16, 2015, 03:01:11 pm »
Sure seems like SSDI is on cruise control. My anxiety level over this is peaking, and I'm just a person reading the blog. Hopefully you hear something soon.

DD

Offline mitch777

« Reply #147 on: March 21, 2015, 04:13:06 pm »
So the latest development is that the judge doesn't seem to understand that my Schedule C portion of my tax returns IS how I file my business taxes as a sole proprietor.

He requested more information in regards to that so my accountant needs to write him a statement explaining it all. I still don't see how this is relevant as I have not worked in years.

My attorney doesn't seem discouraged so I will try not to let it bother me but I had hoped that I would have gotten a letter of approval by now. If this is his only sticking point I would imagine an answer won't be too much further down the road.

Hopefully my next post will be celebratory and finally put an end to this process. Maybe May? That would be the three year mark.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #148 on: April 12, 2015, 04:54:07 pm »
A few days ago I asked my attorney when she had sent in the info that the judge asked for on March 18th. She needed my accountant to write a letter explaining it all and did so in about a week. No problem but she also wanted to attach a cover letter on my behalf so as of today she STILL has not submitted it to the judge. Ugh!

She could have worked on it while waiting for the accountant's letter but NO. Her only concern is getting it done by the deadline (April 18th). This has been her typical behavior throughout this long ordeal.

On the plus side, I will enjoy making my insurance company pay out big bucks in the mean time with my meds and the upcoming surgery. 

I would bet that the approval will come within days of my third anniversary of filing my claim. Three F'in years!!! At this point I just have to laugh.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #149 on: June 02, 2015, 04:38:56 pm »
Well, well...

Here it is over 4 months since my hearing and over 3 years after I applied and still waiting.

My attorney called SSA to see what progress has been made. My claim is in the "unassigned" pile with the decision yet to be written. My lawyer asked the woman if she could tell her if I had been granted disability but, of course she said that is not permissible. No surprise.

She said to check back in mid June for a progress report.

Just another disappointing update.  :(

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #150 on: June 02, 2015, 05:00:56 pm »
over 3 years after I applied and still waiting.
many, perhaps even most, decisions take 3 yrs or slightly longer. If someone didn't warn you about this terribly long wait, they should have. ;)

best wishes on a positive decision soon!
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #151 on: June 02, 2015, 07:19:25 pm »
Mark, sorry you're waiting so long. I hope you get good news soon!  Waiting sucks!

Offline mitch777

« Reply #152 on: June 02, 2015, 08:35:15 pm »
many, perhaps even most, decisions take 3 yrs or slightly longer. If someone didn't warn you about this terribly long wait, they should have. ;)

best wishes on a positive decision soon!

I expected a long ride but at the time of my application the wait time was under three years. Apparantly it is that way now. No wink needed. I thank you for the support but please understand that I comprehend how this works by now.

Mark, sorry you're waiting so long. I hope you get good news soon!  Waiting sucks!

Yes it sucks. Thanks Betty. Hoping for the best but am not prepared for the worst.

Having a down day I guess. I would like to know what we can count on to move at this point as far as income is concerned. I did NOT expect that it would take this long after my hearing in January. It's a bit out of the norm and am pissed at the system.

Are we working on the house to sell only to find out that another appeal would delay everything another 1 1/2 years? I/we just want to move on.

Just a heads up folks... if you need to appeal the judgement at this point it takes that amount of time and you will be facing the same judge that turned you down at the hearing. Them's the rules.  :P

Offline DodgerDawg

« Reply #153 on: June 02, 2015, 10:11:45 pm »
Congrats on your 4,000th post!

Perhaps the strategy is to have you croak before they have to grant SSDI.

Hopefully this nightmare ends soon.

DD

Offline mitch777

« Reply #154 on: June 03, 2015, 06:10:36 pm »
Congrats on your 4,000th post!

Perhaps the strategy is to have you croak before they have to grant SSDI.

Hopefully this nightmare ends soon.

DD

I hadn't noticed my new landmark post. lol. And yes, that is the strategy I think.

I re-read my previous post and I should have put in a "lol" after responding to Mikie's post. Without it it came off kinda rude.  :P

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #155 on: June 04, 2015, 09:03:43 am »
Every time I see this thread come to the top of the active threads list I think that you must have finally  been approved.

Sorry you're still waiting this long.  What a sad joke.  :(

Bertrand Russell

Offline mitch777

« Reply #156 on: June 05, 2015, 07:41:15 pm »
Every time I see this thread come to the top of the active threads list I think that you must have finally  been approved.

Sorry you're still waiting this long.  What a sad joke.  :(

I think they think I am a super hero and believe I can fly. Sorry to disappoint you but it's nice to have such great support along the way.

My health and energy has gone down hill since the beginning of this thread and the stress involved didn't/ does not help. No LTS should be put through this process. It's cruel and demeaning. My life is on hold in so many ways.

I should change the title of this thread to reflect my journey but I don't know how. Maybe Joe could help.

Maybe it should read "My journey as a LTS to attain disability"?

Offline mitch777

« Reply #157 on: June 08, 2015, 11:24:00 am »
I was denied.  :( >:(

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #158 on: June 08, 2015, 11:39:34 am »
I was denied.  :( >:(

Im so sorry Mark ... hopefully all is not lost and something can be done.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #159 on: June 08, 2015, 01:51:49 pm »
 :-\

So what is the next step from your lawyer Big G?

Offline wolfter

« Reply #160 on: June 08, 2015, 02:07:26 pm »
OH Mark, that's just awful.  I know you've answered this before;  Is this the 2nd or 3rd denial?

take care buddy.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #161 on: June 08, 2015, 03:32:22 pm »
Mark,
So sorry to hear this, it really sucks !
I don't understand what it is they want you to prove,
Like you said they must think your superman.
30 years with this virus ,it's hard enough getting out of bed sometimes
let alone holding down a full time job !
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #162 on: June 08, 2015, 03:34:29 pm »
Mark,
So sorry to hear this, it really sucks !
I don't understand what it is they want you to prove,
Like you said they must think your superman.
30 years with this virus ,it's hard enough getting out of bed sometimes
let alone holding down a full time job !
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #163 on: June 08, 2015, 05:21:28 pm »
The SSA has a 5 step process to determine if one is eligible. They are in a specific order. If you fail the first question they stop there. The first question is all about the person proving that he was not working. That is where it stopped with me.

Apparently there is a box to check off on my tax returns asking if I was actively involved in the business. The sole purpose of this question is it could affect my taxes if there was a loss which there never was. My accountants software program defaults to check off yes. He knew I was ill but he didn't know until this year that I had filed for disability. Since the "box" was irrelevant to my taxes he never thought to change it.

Now WHO looks at every line of a 15 page tax return? Not me. I look at the figures to make sure that they make sense and that's about it.

Next he sees that I was claiming my car as an expense during the past several years and assumed it was me driving. Having an employee use my car for business purposes is a legitimate business expense. The money saved on taxes was minimal but that's beside the point. He made the assumption that I was driving and working.

He also mentioned that I claimed part of our property at home for the business, which we do. The entire upstairs of the garage is used for storage. He didn't connect the dots as to what he felt the problem was there. There IS no problem! It's another perfectly acceptable way to file my taxes and I have NO idea what his issue is in regards to that. WTF?

That's it folks. Denied over a box checked yes and bad assumptions on his part about my tax return regarding my car.

I am so pissed!

My attorney plans to ask for reconsideration but I find nothing written in the SSA rules that permits this. Hopefully I am wrong but I doubt it.

Anyway, after being turned down the third time we can still appeal one last time.

The rules must have changed a bit as the options with an appeal to the Appeals Council are:

1) deny your appeal
2) return the case to the original judge OR another administrative law judge
3) issue it's own decision
4) dismiss the case

I'm hoping for #3 after they realize what this guy based his bad decision on.

Anyway, my life has been turned upside-down. The business is still failing, moving seems to be out of the question until this gets resolved, and I simply can't work!!!

Everything is on hold.

He had two signed affidavits, one from Kenny and the other from a long-term employee as well as my testimony to prove that I had not worked at the store in the past 4 years. Did I say I was pissed? Grrr...

I could get more signed if needed. Grrr...

I have no idea how long it will take from this point. From what I have read it could take another year or longer. Grrr...

My head is still spinning over this. 

Thanks guys.

btw Wade, it's almost 33 years now and I'm counting! lol.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 05:29:02 pm by mitch777 »

Offline britchick

« Reply #164 on: June 09, 2015, 08:03:09 am »
mitch777

I have followed your story as long as I've been a member of the board.I'm really sorry about the result.I truly believe that the system is designed to make people try to give up.I'm glad that you will appeal the decision.I know that it's so difficult to keep going to through this process but you are in my thoughts.Time for the accountant to add a letter of support to your application too.

britchickxx

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #165 on: June 09, 2015, 10:17:47 am »
Damn,  that sucks.  I'm so sorry you're having so much trouble getting approved Mitch.  You certainly deserve approval.

Have you tried contacting your Congressmen?  Sometimes they can help.  I've heard varying stories about it's relative effectiveness but at this point it couldn't hurt.  This thread has been going on so long I can't remember if you have already tried that or not.

Bertrand Russell

Offline mitch777

« Reply #166 on: June 09, 2015, 05:54:33 pm »
Thanks britchick. My accountant is great and when I called him yesterday he immediately said he would write a letter. He has already written two in the recent past but this judge still has no clue about what tax forms are all about.

I remember your support from the early stages of this long thread and it is much appreciated!

bman,

I tried the congressman route twice. Both times they have not been in the least encouraging as to how they could help. They said that they could not intervene with a judges decision so I gave up.

Thanks again and yes, this thread has been going on forever.

On a positive note...
My attorney contacted them today and asked for a re-arguement. They seemed open to the idea so maybe we can finally get this guy to understand that I have not materially participated in work for the past 4 years.

If this goes through I plan on getting as many MORE affidavits as possible to prove my point. I guess my testimony and two affidavits weren't enough. Ugh.

Anyway, if we can convince him of that truth it might save loads of time with an appeal assuming that he accepts the overwhelming medical evidence that was already provided.

I really hate being in limbo and would like to plan a future without this kind of stress.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #167 on: June 09, 2015, 07:03:15 pm »
Mark,

I am sorry and I only imagine how much stress this causes.  Would a more experienced lawyer have anticipated this and either had you take steps to remove yourself totally from the business, or be very specific in the hearing about the tax forms?  Would someone more experienced have asked to see how your file taxes?  Would the tax filing had been different, if you were married and  the result likely different?

How does this work, with someone who owns a business?  Do you make income?  Do you file no income, but the default checked box just screwed it up?

Offline mitch777

« Reply #168 on: June 10, 2015, 05:27:47 pm »
Mark,

I am sorry and I only imagine how much stress this causes.  Would a more experienced lawyer have anticipated this and either had you take steps to remove yourself totally from the business, or be very specific in the hearing about the tax forms?  Would someone more experienced have asked to see how your file taxes?  Would the tax filing had been different, if you were married and  the result likely different?

How does this work, with someone who owns a business?  Do you make income?  Do you file no income, but the default checked box just screwed it up?

Thanks Ted.

So many questions!

I wish I could have found a better lawyer but those who deal primarily with disability cases al turned me down because I was self-employed.

The judge did not bring up the issues in my tax form that he stated in my denial letter at the hearing so there was no chance to even rebut them.

I have no idea if filing a joint return would make a difference but down the road and now it remains more beneficial to stay "single" due to ADAP.

Of course I make income and need to report it on my taxes like everyone else. If I didn't make an income from the business I would shut the door for good. That day may be coming soon and that is why I am so anxious about this denial.

The "yes" box is an issue but my accountant is amending three years of returns (the most he can do) to un-check that box as it was an error on his part, but to be fair he had no idea that I was not working at all for the past 4 years. I doubt that 95% of people that have that box to check would ever notice it. This guy didn't understand how I had to file my taxes from the beginning and now all of a sudden he thinks he is a tax expert.

He used one form or another of the word "presume" several times in the denial letter and each and every presumption was incorrect without me or my attorney given a chance to rebut his assumptions. I think I am repeating myself here. Brain on overload.  :P

Offline Buckmark

• Henry's Home Page
« Reply #169 on: June 14, 2015, 08:25:21 am »
Mark,

Geez, I don't even know what to say.  It's just so hard to believe you were denied.  The judge really does seem obsessed with your tax returns.  The whole "self-employment" route seems fraught with peril (and yet you would think nice conservative judges would appreciate the situation of an entrepreneur).   I don't know why the judge can't see everything else.  I'm hoping that with your lawyer's and accountant's help, that will tip the scales in your favor.

Regards,

Henry

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #170 on: June 25, 2015, 06:37:31 pm »
I am late here Mark, but I am also sad to read that you were denied.  :(  >:(

I can only imagine how you feel.

Hope you are able to put a response strategy in motion.

Take care,

OT

"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline mitch777

« Reply #171 on: June 25, 2015, 08:31:21 pm »
I have not been on the forums for awhile but wanted to thank you Henry for your comment. Maybe this judge is a homophobe and it trumps the business aspect in his conservative mind. Who knows?

His ignoring the entire picture... my testimony, 2 afidafits, and my waist deep medical file, a medical appointment once a week for four years.... I guess that means diddly squat to this guy.

I know I must go forward and I will but this is still hitting me hard. Here I am painting (wearing my supersonic neck brace) where I can in preparation for a move that may end up far from my expectations due to him.

The approval percentage was around 80-85% at the ALJ Hearing level when I entered into this nightmare and has dropped to around 45-50% since. I am probably repeating myself here but this guy's approval rate was the lowest at 24%. I feel crushed, defeated, and cheated.

I have so little energy but am learning that it's best just to take out my frustrations by working at whatever level I can to distract me for now at least from this madness.

Three days or so after getting the denial letter Moo Goo dislocated one or both of her knees. The cost of surgery is out of the question. When it rains...

So....
Exhaustion and not being a bundle of cheer lately has kept me away. I don't expect anything to change soon.

Another whine from poor ole me. lol.

And thanks OT. Everything is under control. Strategy is in place. Will it work? I have no idea.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #172 on: July 15, 2015, 05:58:15 pm »
Another day, another denial.

The judge denied me once again. The re-arguement was denied on the same basis of his original denial.

He must still believe that I am working even after 3 more affidavits and explaining all of the tax report concerns. Unbelievable.

Now it's on to my final appeal. That could take more than a year.

Productive most of my life, employing many over the past 28 years, nearly 33 years Poz, and then this. I find it shameful.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #173 on: July 15, 2015, 08:49:17 pm »
Im so sorry to hear this Mark … fingerers crossed on the appeal.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #174 on: July 15, 2015, 09:50:05 pm »
Thanks.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #175 on: July 16, 2015, 12:48:06 am »
Mark,

I'm sorry to hear he still doesn't get it. 

Offline initforlife

« Reply #176 on: July 16, 2015, 08:47:35 am »
I'm sorry lets hope it gets turned around soon and you get approved. finger crossed for ya!
sometimes it is best to say nothing at all. then to offend

Offline mitch777

« Reply #177 on: July 17, 2015, 04:48:51 pm »
Thanks Ted and init. Looking forward to being distracted soon in Memphis.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #178 on: August 31, 2015, 09:25:48 pm »
So this doesn't look good:

3. Appeals Council
If you lose at your disability hearing, you can request that the Appeals Council review your case. The Appeals Council randomly selects cases for review and has discretion to grant, deny, or dismiss your request for review. The Appeals Council is not a place where you are likely to find success. If you file late, request a dismissal, or die, the Appeals Council may dismiss your claim without reviewing it. Even if none of these scenarios occur, the Appeals Council can dismiss your case without review unless it finds one of the following:
an abuse of discretion (for example, your hearing was cut short) or an error of law (for example, a claimant was not permitted to cross-examine a witness) by the ALJ
the ALJ decision is not supported by substantial evidence, or
a broad policy or procedural issue is raised by the case (such as the ALJ not notifying a claimant that an expert witness would be present at the hearing).
The Appeals Council usually looks for a flaw in the ALJ decision before granting a review. In those situations, your chance of winning is only 2% to 3%. For most people, the only reason to file a request with the Appeals Council is to exhaust all the SSA administrative appeal avenues, which you must do before you sue the SSA in federal court.
4. Federal Court Review
The next step in the appeal process is filing a lawsuit in U.S. district court. If you don't yet have an attorney representative, you will almost certainly need one now. (You can use Nolo's Lawyer Directory to find a Social Security attorney in your area.)
Federal judges hear disability cases without juries. The judge is supposed to review the case only for legal errors, but in reality many judges rule on factual questions, too. District court judges reverse ALJs or the AC in at least a third of all cases, often saying that the SSA did not give sufficient weight to a treating doctor's opinion, did not consider pain and other symptoms, or should have asked for assessments of abilities from treating doctors.
Although you have a fair chance of winning an appeal in federal court, it is not an attractive option. Suing the SSA is expensive and time consuming. Even if you win, it might take years to reach that level of the appeals process. Consequently, not all disability attorneys are willing to file a disability case in federal court and fewer than 1% of disability claimants actually take their cases to court.

Random? 2-3% chance of approval?

Your thoughts J.R.?

I believe an error of law was committed by the ALJ but what good will that do if they don't even look at my case? Again, random?.

If it indeed pans out that my case is dismissed I will be living a life of poverty going forward. It scares the shit out of me and angers me to no end.

I instructed my attorney to send my entire file to both of my Senators and my Representative to expedite the case so the Appeal Council will pay notice. Waiting for her reply.

I wonder if anyone here has any ideas that I have not thought about. Are there organizations out there to help a person in my position?

Thanks.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #179 on: February 22, 2016, 06:12:37 pm »
So here is the latest update in my saga...

I received a letter of denial from the Appeals Council today. Unless I want to file a federal law suit against them for their decision which is not likely at all, I must start the whole process over again from square one after almost 4 years of waiting.

All of my backpay possibilities have vanished and it might take another 3+ years to see a judge unless the gods are on my side getting approved in the "second" first go around in the new application.

It also means that it will take longer to get on Medicare as there is a 24 month waiting period from the new date of onset which is the day after I was denied by the ALJ. That means private insurance premiums will still need to be paid for quite some time even if my new application is approved at step one.

And so it goes.

Meanwhile...

The house is being put up for sale this May and we are moving to Palm Springs with no income. The business is on it's last legs so we would need to move in any case. It is slightly cheaper in moving to PS than staying here so why not?

Wish I had better news.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #180 on: February 22, 2016, 07:14:12 pm »
Im sorry Mark … tough break . You can stay here at my house when you come to house hunt … at least thats one good thing.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #181 on: February 23, 2016, 08:02:08 am »
That whole thing sucks Mark.  I don't understand it but I don't often understand judges.  Hopefully once you're in California, you'll be approved quickly! I just have a feeling California is more liberal with their decisions than where you are now. 

Betty

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #182 on: February 23, 2016, 08:15:05 am »
Mark ,
I'm sorry to hear the latest news. Maybe you will have better luck after you move and the obstacles that were in your way are gone.
The Medicare part is what really sucks .

Best , Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #183 on: February 23, 2016, 11:08:47 am »
Thanks guys. Yep, it all sucks. Nothing to do but move forward at a snails pace.

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #184 on: February 23, 2016, 07:04:26 pm »
I'm sorry it didn't go the way you had hoped.  It does really suck.  It's a shame that the Social Security Adm. has made it so much more difficult for  HIV+ people to qualify.

I hope you have better lucky in your new location.

Bertrand Russell

Offline weasel

« Reply #185 on: February 25, 2016, 08:28:38 pm »

I am sorry to hear this news .

That is sucky of them !

I hope that in a new location  you will get approved and get back pay !

Hugs ,  Leaf
" Live and let Live "

Offline mitch777

« Reply #186 on: February 16, 2017, 03:19:45 pm »
Hi everyone,

It's been ages since I posted here but thought I would share some good news.

I WAS GRANTED MY DISABILITY ON JANUARY 30th OF THIS YEAR!!!!! I reapplied this past fall and was granted my disability on round one. I also wanted to thank everyone that took this long journey with me. This thread can now come to a close with a happy ending.

On another note...
We will be making a big move from Connecticut to Palm Springs, California next month. Looking forward to a social life,warmer weather, nearby stores, and all of my doctors within a 10 minute drive. Can't wait!

Mark

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #187 on: February 16, 2017, 04:35:42 pm »
Congrats Mark!  I'm jealous about your move, but wish you nothing but the best!

Betty

Offline mitch777

« Reply #188 on: February 16, 2017, 05:43:23 pm »
Thanks Betty. The grass might not be greener there (probably brown, ha!) but I'm giving it a go. You are welcome to visit anytime!

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #189 on: February 17, 2017, 06:34:05 pm »
Congratulations Mitch.  I'm so glad this finally came to a satisfactory ending.  It must be a huge relief.

Good luck in Palm Springs.

Bertrand Russell

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #190 on: February 18, 2017, 08:35:15 am »
ABOUT TIME...!!!! :o

Good Luck with the move and have fun in Palm Springs  :)

HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #191 on: February 18, 2017, 10:26:21 am »
Thanks guys!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.