Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Mental Health & HIV

Top 3 things that improve our Mental Health

(1/3) > >>

numbersguy82:
So I consume a lot of news and articles about improving our mental health. I think my main takeaway from all of them is that it’s less about the specific tasks that we perform, and more about the feelings they evoke in us.

So I thought why not start a topic and share our own personal top 3 things that put us in a better mood? We will learn more about one another, and maybe even get some new ideas to add to our own armories for battling feelings of negativity and depression.

For me:

1) Spending time with my rescue kitty, Charley. She’s not socialized and mostly considers me a roommate instead of companion, but she brings me joy regardless.

2) Sitting down to work on a puzzle. I love having a puzzle going at all times in the corner of my home. If I find myself sleeping too much to being inactive, I’ll just sit down and add a few pieces. Usually that will lead to many many pieces and at the end I feel more accomplished and better about myself.

3) Reading a cozy mystery novel or watching one on streaming. I’m addicted to any mystery that involves an elder person solving a mystery. From Agatha’s Miss Marple or Poirot to Murder, She Wrote and even Midsomer Murders! My recent faves are Harry Wild (starring Jane Seymour), Signora Volpe, Recipes for Love and Murder, Whitstable Pearl, and McDonald & Dodds. I shy away from anything too graphic.

So how do you boost your mood and put a smile back on your face???

Jim Allen:
Working on my photography, walking (hiking) and sex.

numbersguy82:

--- Quote from: Jim Allen on August 22, 2023, 05:01:44 pm ---Working on my photography, walking (hiking) and sex.

--- End quote ---

As I wrote this yesterday, I actually thought of you and what yours would be. My guesses were:

- Photography
- Trans Pride Parades
- The Red Light District

… so I really wasn’t that far off :)

Towel:
Really cool thread idea.

For me, I practice meditation, find improved perspectives on problems, and try to focus on the "good" side of life, like find the good qualities in a person who is not my favorite, or a situation that I'd rather be done with, things like that. I find that these do help.

numbersguy82:

--- Quote from: Towel on August 23, 2023, 05:39:18 pm ---Really cool thread idea.

For me, I practice meditation, find improved perspectives on problems, and try to focus on the "good" side of life, like find the good qualities in a person who is not my favorite, or a situation that I'd rather be done with, things like that. I find that these do help.

--- End quote ---

It’s interesting, I’ve tried meditating unsuccessfully for years because I thought I had to do it a certain way. It wasn’t until I realized that truly it was more about being still and alone with my thoughts, that I started enjoying it. Now I try and start my mornings with doing just that… while the coffee brews 🤣

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version