Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:44:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773281
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 351
Total: 352

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Risk of Infection  (Read 10359 times)

Offline Matterhorn

• Standard
Risk of Infection
« on: April 04, 2010, 02:20:02 pm »
I'm sure you guys are tired of these sorts of questions, but I'm concerned and info on the internet is all over the place saying different things. The short of the story is that the other day I performed and received oral sex on a man whose HIV status I am unaware of. I climaxed, he did not. I don't think I came in contact with any precum, but I'm not 100 percent. To make matters worse, about twenty minutes before I performed on him, I brushed my teeth. I have sensitive gums that do bleed sometimes, do I need to get tested because of this. Sorry about the questions, but I'm not very experienced and very confused.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Risk of Infection
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 02:50:02 pm »
You are worrying needlessly. Reports of someone claiming to have become infected through giving oral never seem to hold up under careful scrutiny. Your saliva has over a dozen elements and proteins which very effectively prevent the transmission of viable HIV.

As for receiving oral, there's never been a single documented case of transmission to the guy receiving oral. Not one. It's safe to say you aren't going to make history by becoming the first.

There is no cause for further concern nor any need for testing. And you will do yourself a big favor if you stop surfing the net because I can guarantee that doing that will only feed your worst fears, and all to no good purpose.
Andy Velez

Offline Matterhorn

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 02:54:05 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply. It makes me feel a lot better

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 05:21:52 pm »
Good. I'm glad you found our exchange to be helpful.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline Matterhorn

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 06:28:24 pm »
Okay, this is just a follow up thing. I'm aware that my risk for HIV is nearly non existent, but I've developed a sore throat. In addition, my jaw hurts too. I've never given oral sex before, is this to be expected or is it a warning sign of some sort of other std ?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 06:42:09 pm »
If your symptoms persist you should discuss them with your doctor. We can't diagnose anything here.

But whatever is going on is just coincidental with your fears and have nothing to do with HIV.

Really.
Andy Velez

Offline Matterhorn

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 06:53:42 pm »
Thanks so much forn your insight. It's really helpful to me. I'm so green to all of this your assurance is so comforting

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 07:00:21 pm »
Glad you have found our exchanges to be helpful. And if you haven't already read our lesson on Transmission, that would be a good thing to do. There's a link to it in the Welcome thread which opens this section.
Andy Velez

Offline Matterhorn

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 05:14:59 am »
I've developed a pretty nasty canker sore and There seems to be a slightly sore and enlarged gland under my jaw. Now, I said that the guy didn't ejaculate in my mouth. Is it possible he did and I didn't notice ? I'm really worried because I brushed my teeth right before I performed the oral and I have gums that do bleed pretty regularly. Am I still worrying needlessly or do these developments change things ?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 05:34:08 am »
Reread Andy's reply to you, the answers are not going to change.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 08:56:55 am »
Nothing you are reporting symptomatically is an HIV-specific symptom. If they persist you should discuss them with your doctor.

My evaluation of your incident remains the same. You were not at risk.
Andy Velez

Offline Matterhorn

• Standard
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 10:07:06 pm »
Hey, sorry to be a bother, but my stress is getting the better of me. I understand that I was told there was no need for testing, but in the intervening weeks I've devolped shooting pains in my hands, feet, and behind my ears. In addition, some mouth pain (though that may be from my wisdom tooth cutting through). Is it possible that, because I brushed my teeth right before performing oral sex, that I could have become infected by possible precum. What's more, would I have noticed (in your opinion) precum, or even full on ejaculate for that matter ? I know I sound stupid, but I've never done anthing sexual before this and I don't know how this works. I'm feeling stressed and part of me feels guilt and stupid.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 10:11:13 pm »
Hey, sorry to be a bother, but my stress is getting the better of me. I understand that I was told there was no need for testing, but in the intervening weeks I've devolped shooting pains in my hands, feet, and behind my ears. In addition, some mouth pain (though that may be from my wisdom tooth cutting through). Is it possible that, because I brushed my teeth right before performing oral sex, that I could have become infected by possible precum. What's more, would I have noticed (in your opinion) precum, or even full on ejaculate for that matter ? I know I sound stupid, but I've never done anthing sexual before this and I don't know how this works. I'm feeling stressed and part of me feels guilt and stupid.

Nothing you've posted today is remotely a risk for HIV transmission. You do not need to be tested for HIV.

If you're feeling ill, see your doctor.

MtD

Offline Matterhorn

• Standard
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 10:58:32 pm »
Hello, sorry to be intrusive and a bother but I think I just need a bit more reassurance. I have a feeling that my HIV worries are just my subconscious punishing me for exploring sexuality that I'm not yet comfortable with. (At least that's what I've been told) I was wondering if the risks of HIV and oral sex had been reassessed in the time since my last post. I've been getting shooting pains and tingles in my arms and legs. I'm not even sure if that's a symptom. Compounded with the fact that about a week after my 'possible exposure' I got very strong symptoms of a cold. Now my working brain tells me that that must have been a cold given the fact that both my mother and sister got it at the same time, but there is a piece of me that thinks it's symptoms of HIV. I understand that my mental issues are not something you guys can help me with, but I was wondering if the advice you gave me still stands and if there had ever been a case of confirmed transmition given my set of circumstances. Thanks

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 11:01:52 pm »
Hello, sorry to be intrusive and a bother but I think I just need a bit more reassurance. I have a feeling that my HIV worries are just my subconscious punishing me for exploring sexuality that I'm not yet comfortable with. (At least that's what I've been told) I was wondering if the risks of HIV and oral sex had been reassessed in the time since my last post. I've been getting shooting pains and tingles in my arms and legs. I'm not even sure if that's a symptom. Compounded with the fact that about a week after my 'possible exposure' I got very strong symptoms of a cold. Now my working brain tells me that that must have been a cold given the fact that both my mother and sister got it at the same time, but there is a piece of me that thinks it's symptoms of HIV. I understand that my mental issues are not something you guys can help me with, but I was wondering if the advice you gave me still stands and if there had ever been a case of confirmed transmition given my set of circumstances. Thanks

Nope. Nothing has changed. You were not at risk of HIV infection and you do not need to be tested.

You do need to read our Welcome Thread and familiarise yourself with the posting guidelines.

MtD

Offline Matterhorn

• Standard
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 11:25:50 pm »
Thanks for your quick reply. I've read the guidelines and understand. Thanks for being courteous throughout our interaction. It was more helpful than you know

Offline Matterhorn

• Standard
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2011, 07:51:29 pm »
Hi, I hooked up with another man awhile ago. There was deep kissing, oral, body contact, but no penetration. I don't even think I saw any semen on his part, but precum may have been another story. Am I at risk? What if there was some precum on the head of his penis and, when we were grinding, some got into my urethra?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 08:36:54 pm by Matterhorn »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2011, 08:26:30 pm »
■Please do not start a new thread every time you have another question or thought - regardless if you think your questions are related to each other or not. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Additional threads will be merged.

■If you cannot find your thread, click on the "Show own posts" link in the left-hand column of any forum page, under your name.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2011, 10:20:00 pm »
I've merged your threads here. In the future please follow our rule keep any entries you want to make in this same thread.

Once again you are worrying absolutely needlessly. HIV is a fragile virus and is not transmitted in any of the ways you are currently concerned about. As you have been told before, sexually the only confirmed risks for HIV transmission are through unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. As long as condoms are always used for those activities you will be well protected. It really is just that simple.

There's no need need for testing nor for further concern on your part. We do also advise anyone who is sexually active to at least annually have a full STD panel done. Other STDs are much easier to acquire than HIV.
Andy Velez

Offline Matterhorn

• Standard
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 12:15:14 am »
Thank you Andy. Not to be a pain, but today I found blood in my stool. Now, the incident was just a few days ago, but is this an std?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2011, 03:38:27 am »
■Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2011, 08:57:00 am »
Blood in stools happen for all sorts of reasons. If it persists you should discuss that with your doctor. It has nothing to do with HIV.

I am going to warn you that we're not going to embark on another round of worries and what ifs with you. You did not have a risk. Period. Get on with your life. Otherwise you are going to find yourself getting a Time Out here. HIV is not your problem. And as long as you consistently use condoms for intercourse it won't be.
Andy Velez

Offline Matterhorn

• Standard
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2011, 10:43:42 am »
Alright. Thanks so much. That makes me feel a lot better

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2011, 11:13:11 am »
Good. Now get on with your life. And remember to always use condoms for intercourse. 
Andy Velez

Offline Matterhorn

• Standard
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2020, 09:01:24 pm »
About 10 months ago, I was the insertive partner during intercourse with another man. During that, the condom rode up on my penis. I pulled it back into place and continued. In addition to this, I had unprotected oral sex with a couple different people. I have some wisdom tooth issues that have resulted in a couple broken teeth.

A couple of months after that, I got a cold I couldn't shake and immediately after that, I had flulike symptoms for a few days. It was flu season and several friends and family members had the flue around this time. So, I assumed that was what it was.

Two months ago, I started to develop hives and blisters under my arms. I was told by the doctor that they were shingles. They corresponded with a stressful time at my work and I was told the added stress and pressure could be the reason for them. They have recurred twice since then, and I still haven't been able to get rid of them completely. Full disclosure, I've gained some weight with quarantine and stuff in the last few months, and I'm thinking that might be a factor.

Two months ago, when the hives and shingles started, I took an Oraquick test that came back negative. The issues I had been afraid about happened last summer. So, the three month window had passed. Still, I've read that Oraquick isn't as reliable as other methods and I could have gotten a false negative.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2020, 04:11:13 am »
Hiya,

I merged your posts into this one thread, please only post here going forward. Thank you.

Read your post and firstly I'm sorry to hear about the shingles, it can be a true pain. 

Anyhow about HIV the condom riding up the shaft is not an HIV concern as long as the head remained covered and the oral, giving a blowjob is a near negligible concern that doesn't warrant testing outside of routine.

The test you took is reliable when used correctly outside of the window period.

Here's what you need to know to avoid HIV infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. Consider talking to your healthcare provider about PrEP as an additional layer of HIV protection going forward

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as ‘safe’ in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also, note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the "Do I have HIV?" Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.