Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:12:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 401
Total: 401

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Railroad and the Extra Board  (Read 3393 times)

Offline DrewEm

The Railroad and the Extra Board
« on: February 05, 2013, 02:51:27 am »
I had dinner with a friend earlier this evening who happens to work for a freight railroad. He will be going on meds soon as his numbers are falling. One of the things we discussed was when I took my meds (daily at noonish). I have a stable office job with flextime so for me compliance isn't an issue.

He works for a freight railroad on the train working as called - meaning he has no set schedule. He isn't always awake at the same time day to day. So we were trying to figure out what he could do.

Anyone else here like him? The airline industry must be similar. He doesn't have enough eniority to hold a scheduled job so that option is out.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: The Railroad and the Extra Board
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 05:35:10 am »
Go for a combination with no or few food restrictions that has a wide margin on timing, eg Prezista + 2 nukes. This will give at least a 4 hour time slot, probably wider, and needs little food eg a sandwich, snack bar, half a carton of milk.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 06:23:55 am »
half a carton of milk.

I just thought I'd mention that a "half carton of milk" to a Yank would probably mean at least a half quart. You don't really commonly find pint-sized cartons of milk in the US like you do here in the UK. Most Yanks buy their milk in half gallon cartons or gallon plastic jugs. :)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 06:41:41 am »
You don't really commonly find pint-sized cartons of milk in the US

I was gonna say cup, but that is a tiddly little bone china tea drinking thing in England and best part of pint's worth in America.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 07:07:10 am »
I was gonna say cup, but that is a tiddly little bone china tea drinking thing in England and best part of pint's worth in America.

- matt

;D

I had visions of Yanks thinking you meant they should drink a quarter of a gallon of milk. I love milk and drink it with most meals, but that amount in one go is off-putting even to me!

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline DrewEm

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 11:57:00 pm »
The food issue isn't the problem, it's being awake to take it. He sees the doc next week so we shall see what is prescribed.

One thing at the freight roads is the crews always carry snacks and food items since the train can be held for hours in isolated areas.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 08:46:09 am »
Even with an odd, changing work schedule, surely there's at least one time of the day or night when he's awake most days/nights?

Don't forget that most combos today have a couple hours leeway either side and don't have to be taken at the exact same time, down to the minute, every day. What's usually most important is that they ARE taken every day. Particularly once an UD VL is achieved.

I usually take my meds somewhere between one and seven PM, generally around three or four PM, but it can and does vary. I achieved an UD VL within six months (probably within four, but I didn't have labs done at that point - VL=65 at three months), and was only taking my combo at the same time every day for the first month, if that. Like I said, what's most important is that they are taken EVERY day.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline intaglio

• Doesn't have to pay for vowels
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 09:52:42 am »
My dad worked the Extra Board early in his railroad career. It can be hard to get sleep, let alone have some semblance of an orderly life.

I'd say he looks at his last six months or so of work. Then pick a timeframe where he was awake most of the time. That becomes his dosage time. On days where he is asleep at that time, he can dose before bed or when he first rises.

If he can dose six days out of seven at the same time and one day, he's a couple hours off, he should be fine.

The real problem will be if his meds screw up his digestion and he needs access to a bathroom at odd intervals. He needs to carry wet wipes in his kit for emergencies.
Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Offline DrewEm

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 01:49:40 am »
Thanks all, especially Antaglio! - you understand how hellish the extra board can be. We're going to look over his assignments and see what he usually is awake for. We have agreed that worse comes to worse I will call and wake him around dose time if he is off duty.

Due to the Caifornia Metrolink accident train crews can not have cell phones "alive" while on duty so if he is on the train he will be on his own. This is no problem with today;s meds.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.