Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:19:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 165
Total: 165

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hernia Surgery  (Read 31216 times)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Hernia Surgery
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2014, 01:38:33 pm »

The oxy is in all most likelihood going to constipate you so do yourself a favor and add fiber and possibly a stool softener to the mix . You are pretty much a vegetarian and there aint nothing worse than a stopped up salad shooter .   

I would never tell a guy I told you so but I'm not above using the quote button  ;) .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2014, 03:10:02 pm »
HA HA, discovered the majority of the pain wasn't from the surgery.  I hadn't realized you shouldn't take oxys on an empty stomach.  I didn't eat much Wednesday preparing for the surgery on Thursday.  I immediately took a couple pills upon returning home Thursday and slept straight through til Friday morning.  Awoke and took a couple of more pills.

I ate a little bit but was still in pain so I took more pills and slept even more.  By the time it dawned on me that I was severely constipated, it had been 4 days since a BM.  I was even needing a cane again to assist my walking.  Small amounts of laxatives didn't help.  By mid morning today, I decided to just gulp down a bunch of liquid laxative.

Just like Drano, once the clog was pushed through, it started clearing it all out.  Gushed and gushed and now I realize that was more painful than the sutured area.  I now have a new understanding for when people complain about constipation. 

Now, I can go and enjoy the Daytona 500 as long as I don't shirt myself.  :)

Happy day all

Dear Greg ,

As well as being an Olympic hopeful in the "I can injure myself coz its Tuesday " event you are a terrable Patient , I say it with Kindness and love coz its good to know where we start from . Mommy dearest ain,t going to help , please get yourself in a safe place , with food , and rest up you have been cut open ,your innards pushed in , sewn up, REST, HEAL, PLEASE.
BTW its safe to ignore the don,t drink with the oxy,s but that's one or most a few more at home safe secure. I am tempted to  open a book on how long you stay out off the ER prove me wrong Greg , please.
m
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline wolfter

« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2014, 03:23:05 pm »

I would never tell a guy I told you so but I'm not above using the quote button  ;) .

:)  The good news is that I'm capable of learning, the bad news is that sometimes I have to learn the hard way.  I have NEVER had a bout of constipation in my life.  In fact, after almost 30 years of diarrhea I doubted I could be afflicted with it.

But now I can add oxys/constipation to the hoard of afflictions that I feel qualified to comment on.  I'm slowly feeling better and no longer need the cane but will continue to take it easy.

Dear Greg ,

As well as being an Olympic hopeful in the "I can injure myself coz its Tuesday " event you are a terrable Patient , I say it with Kindness and love coz its good to know where we start from . Mommy dearest ain,t going to help , please get yourself in a safe place , with food , and rest up you have been cut open ,your innards pushed in , sewn up, REST, HEAL, PLEASE.
BTW its safe to ignore the don,t drink with the oxy,s but that's one or most a few more at home safe secure. I am tempted to  open a book on how long you stay out off the ER prove me wrong Greg , please.
m

Thanks buddy.  I'm starting to spend more time at my new place where I can enjoy some quiet time.  I have the place furnished now so it's becoming quite comfortable.  Simply sitting there enjoying a nice fire, listening to music and sipping some wine. 

And yes, I am a terrible patient as that requires patience. 
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2014, 03:47:14 pm »
This damn recovery is coming along slower than I had expected.  I guess I should have believed the surgeon that having them all fixed at once would take longer.  I attempted to work a few hours yesterday evening and it was horrid.  I had to fill in til I found a replacement for an employee that called off.  Thankfully, I didn't have to work the full shift.

With all the grizzly shit I've had done the last few years, this one required far more pain pills than the others.  I had to return to Lancaster just to have another script written for a measly 20 pills. 

Hopefully, by the time this next blizzard pushes through, I'll be off the meds so I can get a buzz on.  These damn injuries are playing havoc with my social partying.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2014, 04:57:14 pm »
You just rest up and quit trying to do that work nonsense.  :D   It will be there when you're healed.  Please, we can't afford anymore surgeries!
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline wolfter

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2014, 05:04:07 pm »
You just rest up and quit trying to do that work nonsense.  :D   It will be there when you're healed.  Please, we can't afford anymore surgeries!

Will have no choice shortly.  I can't drive since my truck is a standard and it takes a lot of pressure to push in a 30 year old clutch.  I'll just stay put and sip cocoa and pay attention to the mind destroyer (TV).

Offline wolfter

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2014, 08:51:18 am »
Finally, completely off the pain pills.  I'm able to do quite a bit now but still am not supposed to do any heavy lifting.

I have a follow up appointment next week, but in the mean time, I have a question for those who've had this surgery.

I was gonna post pictures, but they looked a little provocative.  :)  My entire groin area is still pretty swollen and I can feel a huge tube like thing across my entire groin.  It almost looks like I have a giant pencil under the skin and is quite pronounced.  Did any of you experience this?

greg

Offline zach

« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2014, 09:03:09 am »
three things i would not do for quite some time. don't sneeze, don't get constipated, and for gods sake dont orgasm. one little side benefit, for years afterwards i had "stamina" like you wouldn't believe. really what was happening is as the moment started to build, and the muscles started to tighten, the feeling went away as soon as it pulled the hernias.

20 years later and i can still see and feel the plugs, and mesh, in my double inguinal. kevlar mesh stretchs across my abdominal wall, and the doctor described its attachment as frozen spot welding. those spots are no touch spots

Offline wolfter

« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2014, 09:08:25 am »
three things i would not do for quite some time. don't sneeze, don't get constipated, and for gods sake dont orgasm. one little side benefit, for years afterwards i had "stamina" like you wouldn't believe. really what was happening is as the moment started to build, and the muscles started to tighten, the feeling went away as soon as it pulled the hernias.

20 years later and i can still see and feel the plugs, and mesh, in my double inguinal. kevlar mesh stretchs across my abdominal wall, and the doctor described its attachment as frozen spot welding. those spots are no touch spots

I've already done all 3.  :)  That was the first time I've ever been constipated in my life.  Definitely will never take pain meds for several days without eating.  I have a new understanding for those who suffer from that.

I too had the double inguinal repair with 2 ruptures on each side so the cut was pretty wide.  Are you saying that mesh area is still sensitive?  Is the mesh still visible?  I'll have to stop grooming that area if that ugly bulge will forever be present.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2014, 09:22:47 am »
Is the mesh still visible?  I'll have to stop grooming that area if that ugly bulge will forever be present.

The ultimate comb over .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline zach

« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2014, 09:23:38 am »
no, the mesh itself is not sensitive, it feels like hardware cloth under my skin if you rub across. its not visible but the spots where it is attached to the muscle, its not really pain to touch, i just really don't like it, very odd feeling. the only thing visible are the plugs, described to me as a double sided badminton shuttle, it doesn't bother me though, just protrudes. not nearly as bad as the two baseballs when i popped the hernias. yours may be a similar set up of hardware, and that pencil thing you describe may remain visible, i really don't know.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2014, 09:32:06 am »
The ultimate comb over .

I recently discovered a new term....otter.  If I didn't trim, I'd be able to braid it.  :)  I wonder if I could grow it long enough to reach my scalp.  Kinda messed up that I have hair where I don't want it and can't grow it where I do.

no, the mesh itself is not sensitive, it feels like hardware cloth under my skin if you rub across. its not visible but the spots where it is attached to the muscle, its not really pain to touch, i just really don't like it, very odd feeling. the only thing visible are the plugs, described to me as a double sided badminton shuttle, it doesn't bother me though, just protrudes. not nearly as bad as the two baseballs when i popped the hernias. yours may be a similar set up of hardware, and that pencil thing you describe may remain visible, i really don't know.

True, this is nothing compared to the night where it fully ruptured.  I laid for a few hours at work wondering if I should call the squad or continue pushing it back which did work until I could schedule an appointment.  I'm ok with it, just wanted to make sure that it was healing the way it's supposed to.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2014, 10:03:50 am »
I guess I've seen pictures of peoples' BM's floating in toilets, so this shouldn't be too controversial.   :o  If so, I'll promptly remove it.  I thought everyone would enjoy a nice puffy and swollen area.  I'll be ok with the scars as long as that fat area flattens out.

Offline AusShep

« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2014, 12:28:17 pm »
I had bilateral repair with mesh (endoscopic), can't see or feel the mesh on either side or the surgical scars, although I'm pretty sure I blew out the right side a couple of years ago in a coughing fit.

If you call that puffy and swollen, I think I'm jealous after putting on some weight last year.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2014, 04:40:41 pm »
I had my 2 week follow up today and the surgeon indicates everything is healing nicely.  I understand, that the majority of problems arise within this time period.  He checked and says there is no indication that the surgery wasn't a great success.

He says the swelling might be visible for a few more weeks and the tube appearance might be visible for several months but should pretty much disappear.  He did say if I wasn't small statured, it probably wouldn't be visible now. 

I barely remember talking to him after the surgery and I discovered something new today.  I had a double Pantaloon hernia....yes pantaloons, as in French pants.  :)  I love being a rarity.  He has given me the go ahead to return to regular exercising including crunches, which I was surprised at.

Still need to limit myself on weight lifting and carrying though.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2014, 05:04:36 pm »
Greg, good news on the healing.  Only you could have a "Pantaloon" hernia lol. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline wolfter

« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2014, 10:22:43 pm »
2 months post surgery, and I've learned yet another lesson. :o  I should have had this procedure done years ago.  Of course, 20 years ago, I never expected to be around to actually deal with it. ;)

I'm back to full recovery, actually better than that.  I can do crunches now until I feel the burn.  I always had to stop when those damn things started bulging. 

Offline zach

« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2014, 10:35:22 pm »
outstanding! i know you were concerned about the visibility of the scar and all, no more pictures please.  :-\ how is that? feel ok at the incision site? how about the perimeter of the mesh?

Offline wolfter

« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2014, 10:49:06 pm »
It's hard to describe the sensation.  It feels like there's a straw under the skin.  The scar isn't so bad but I might still have to adjust my manscaping. :D

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.