Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:46:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 344
Total: 346

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: terrible mistake  (Read 5457 times)

Offline sharper1

terrible mistake
« on: October 06, 2006, 04:20:39 am »
Hello

First of all I am reading this forum for 2 weeks now and am thankfull for people like You exist. I appologise for my bad english.

On 24th of august i made a big mistake. I gave an unprotected (cunnilingus) oral sex to a sex worker in expensive night club. After that followed protected (with condom) vaginal sex. My symptoms started 8 days later with sore throat, sinusitis like problem (stuffed nose) and bad caugh with excudate. I also had a rash and sweating but i cant remember wether sweating was due to fear or something else. Back then i don't remember any lymph node swelling. Some mild soreness to the throat exist until today with partial itching and i have left ear problem in a sence that i hear not so good (like stuffed). I am trying to figure out wther my lymph nodes are swollen i think i can feel them sometimes being little swollen. My doctor said it was low risk exposure and that there is no special need for testing except calming my fears. I would be calmed, but my girlfriend recieved sore throat symptoms and running nose 2 weeks after my incident as well. I love my girlfriend (although admitt it sounds hypocritic after my fiasco with sex worker) and am more scared that i transmitted something to her. She also sometimes now has some itches in her throat wich is highly unusual for her. I kindly ask You to give me an suggestion what to do. I feel that i might destroyed someone else's life because i was stupid and carelss.
I called the sex worker and she told me she is clear and has a regular month std and 3 mont HIV test according to  the law in that country ...but i question myself wether i should really believe to a sex worker.
I should test, shouldn't i?

Worried
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 06:59:46 am by sharper1 »

Offline RapidRod

Re: mistake
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 04:36:55 am »
You did not have a risk for HIV. All your symptoms you are having are unrelated to ARS or HIV. Swollen lymph nodes must be determined by a doctor. If you continue to poke and probe you will cause your lymph nodes to swell.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: terrible mistake
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 07:20:34 am »
sharper,

I agree with Rodney here, you didn't have a risk of hiv infection.

However, there are other sexually transmitted infection that you might have gotten in your throat, such as gonorrhea and chlamydia. It's much more likely that you picked up a common head cold not necessarily related to your sex worker experience. If your throat continues to bother you, see your doctor and have swabs taken.

You did the right thing in using a condom, as condoms have been proven to prevent hiv transmission. Going down on a woman is NOT a risk for hiv infection, but a possibility for other things as I've said.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline sharper1

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 08:02:31 am »
Thank You RapidRod, and Thank You Ann for making me worry less. I am more afraid that i could have passed virus to my girlfriend than to have it only myself. It is my responsibility if i acted without caution, but she is innocent. I have seen on CDC that there are documented (or reported?) cases of translation via cunnilingus and that risk transmition is even higher if there are additional STD's or menstrual blood involved. Is the risk ratio 0,5 : 10 000 per incidence related to these few documented cases?

Question to Ann: I've understood that you and your partner are practicing also oral sex for longer time and he never got infected. Is it possible that he has an defective version of CCR5 (inherited) so he is more immune to virus??

Based on that is there possibility that there are people more and som people less likely to get HIV transmitted orally ?

Thank You for kind and fast answers

Offline sharper1

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 08:03:45 am »
And yes I will get checked for STD's if this throat thing continues.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 09:26:37 am »
Sharper,

That CDC information you came across is based on a study that has been discredited. The CDC isn't the best place to go for hiv information, as much of what they allow on their website seems to be driven by a moral/religious agenda. Please remember that the current White House Administration would rather have discredited Abstinence Only sex education in schools rather than sex education grounded in proven science.

There have been several studies, however, that showed oral sex - in any combination - is not the concern that some people would have you believe it is. These studies looked at serodiscordant couples (one poz, one neg) and they were conducted for as many as ten years and involved hundreds of couples. This translates into thousands of years of serodiscordant sexual relations. In the couples who used condoms for intercourse, but no barrier for any type of oral sex, not one, NOT ONE of the negative partners became infected. This shows us two things. One, condoms provide excellent protection against hiv transmission and two, oral sex is a much, much lower risk that previously thought - in fact it's as close to no risk as you can get. So you see, the experience of my partner and me is not unusual in the least. It's the norm.

This is all discussed in the Transmission Lesson here at AIDSmeds. To read it, please see the Welcome Thread and follow the links.

Worrying that you passed hiv on to your girlfriend does not change the facts of hiv transmission. Going down on a woman is not a risk.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline sharper1

Is it possible i got infected?
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 05:01:32 am »
Hello

Dear all,

I am 30 year old circumsized male. I was in high class night club in Germany. I took a sex worker and had protected oral (being receptive). What makes me now worried is the fact i gave her vaginal masturbation with my finger (deep insertion). Being  a fool...I touched my penis with this finger later!!! I also noticed since i bite my nails sometimes...finger has some reddish swelling. That happened 9 days ago, and 2 days ago i started with bad cough. Next day my nose was running crazy. Today I had slightly elevated temperature an i feel quite exhaustion and weakness. My ears are also feeling full. The cough contains lot of discharge, but it is not surprising since my nose is running like crazy.

The sex worker was German girl (19 year old) and told me they have tests every 3 weeks on all std's including HIV, otherwise they cannot work there.

Is it possible that: 1) I got infected from her vaginal fluids transferring virus on my finger?
                         2) I got infected touching my penis (with removed condom) with finger after inserting it vaginally?

Shall i go testing?? I am freaked out now.

Thank You Very much

« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 05:15:43 am by sharper1 »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Is it possible i got infected?
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 05:17:47 am »
Sharper,

You should keep all your questions, thoughts and comments in your original thread. That makes it easier for us to provide you with accurate advice.

MtD

Offline sharper1

Re: Is it possible i got infected?
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 05:29:42 am »
Hello Matty,

This incident is separated from previous one that happened 10 months ago so i figured i need separate post for it.

Theank You

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 08:25:29 am »
Sharp, whether you see the connection or not between your questions, we do ask that you keep all of your questions and comments in the same thread. Thank you for your cooperation.

What you need to do is (re)read the lesson on Transmission. There's a link to it in the Welcome thread which opens this section. You are again worrying needlessly. HIV transmission absolutely does not happen in the ways you are concerned about. It's a fragile virus and not easily transmitted. It needs a very receptive setting for it to happen, specifically unprotected vaginal or anal intercourse.

No, you don't need to get tested and you don't need to be further concerned about this incident.

We do recommend that anyone who's sexually active ought to at least annually have a full STD panel done. There are other STDs out there which are miuch easier to acquire than HIV.

This is not an HIV situation. Period.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.