Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:32:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773265
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 316
Total: 318

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Warning about Norvir and Tylenol  (Read 6752 times)

Offline sfnoepaul

Warning about Norvir and Tylenol
« on: March 09, 2012, 05:41:55 pm »
Tylenol (acetaminophen) has a very complex metabolism in the body. One of the pathways use CYP3A4 as an intermediate metabolizing enzyme. The problem is that Norvir blocks the action of CYP3A4 and thus interferes with the metabolism of acetaminophen. The use of Norvir and acetaminophen or products containing
acetaminophen can cause the creation of intermediate metabolites that are very toxic to the liver. When I took vicodin (which contains acetaminophen) while taking Norvir, my alt (liver test) results over a period of 3 months increased by a factor of 10, showing liver toxicity. When I switched to hydrocodone without acetaminophen my alt went back to normal.

Acetaminophen or medications that contain acetaminophen should not be used by anyone taking Norvir

see http://www.genego.com/map_2377.php and
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/459187_2
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 05:46:06 pm by sfnoepaul »

Offline buginme2

Re: Warning about Norvir and Tylenol
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 06:03:04 pm »
I personally believe that Tylenol (acetaminophen) is taken way too much anyway.  It has long been known to affect liver function.  Being that all HIV positive people are at risk for liver disease (and have a higher rate of death attributed to liver disease) I try and avoid taking Tylenol anyway and I do not take Norvir.  This is just my personal opinion its not backed up by any study.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 11:21:08 pm »
I take Tylenol by itself and sometimes in hydrocodone, due to chronic back pain following back surgery to "fix" my L4, L5, and S1 discs.  When picking out the regimen I would start with--Truvada, Reyetaz, and Norvir, I was told there would be no problem with Tylenol.  So, this is interesting.  Since you didn't link to a study, I'm assuming this is just your personal experience?

Modified:  I just noticed the links you provided.  Guess I'm half asleep tonight.  I will take a look at those to see what they are. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 11:29:10 pm by tednlou2 »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 11:23:43 pm »
I take Tylenol by itself and sometimes in hydrocodone, due to chronic back pain following back surgery to "fix" my L4, L5, and S1 discs.  When picking out the regimen I would start with--Truvada, Reyetaz, and Norvir, I was told there would be no problem with Tylenol.  So, this is interesting.  Since you didn't link to a study, I'm assuming this is just your personal experience?

Well he has provided two links in his OP, one of which is paywalled.

On that basis I think you're ok to have one of your usual little panic attacks, babe.

MtD

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 11:57:48 pm »
Panic attack that I will have to give up my pain pills  ;)

I've tried the hydrocodone that doesn't contain Tylenol.  I found it didn't nearly work as well.  There's the kind that contains aspirin or ibuprophen, but then you can run into issues with that.  While on the topic, I thought the FDA ruled drugs like hydrocodone containing acetaminophen would have to be changed to not contain more than 325mg of acetaminophen.  Was this just a recommendation?  So far, I haven't seen a change and haven't been able to find a good answer online.  I thought if this change was made, many people would just take over-the-counter Tylenol to replace the missing dose--which would probably lead to actually taking more than they were before.         

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 12:07:30 am »
Tylenol (acetaminophen) has a very complex metabolism in the body. One of the pathways use CYP3A4 as an intermediate metabolizing enzyme. The problem is that Norvir blocks the action of CYP3A4 and thus interferes with the metabolism of acetaminophen. The use of Norvir and acetaminophen or products containing
acetaminophen can cause the creation of intermediate metabolites that are very toxic to the liver. When I took vicodin (which contains acetaminophen) while taking Norvir, my alt (liver test) results over a period of 3 months increased by a factor of 10, showing liver toxicity. When I switched to hydrocodone without acetaminophen my alt went back to normal.

Acetaminophen or medications that contain acetaminophen should not be used by anyone taking Norvir

see http://www.genego.com/map_2377.php and
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/459187_2

Cool, thanks for the info.  I almost never take pain killers, but when I do I will take ibuprofen. 
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 12:08:24 am »
Panic attack that I will have to give up my pain pills  ;)

I've tried the hydrocodone that doesn't contain Tylenol.  I found it didn't nearly work as well.  There's the kind that contains aspirin or ibuprophen, but then you can run into issues with that.  While on the topic, I thought the FDA ruled drugs like hydrocodone containing acetaminophen would have to be changed to not contain more than 325mg of acetaminophen.  Was this just a recommendation?  So far, I haven't seen a change and haven't been able to find a good answer online.  I thought if this change was made, many people would just take over-the-counter Tylenol to replace the missing dose--which would probably lead to actually taking more than they were before.       

Yup, that's the way. :)

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 12:39:01 am »
You'll find when you have surgery twice in four months you can't really be picky with your pills.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 10:49:04 am »
Drugs.com tells me that Tylenol (acetaminophen) will not interfere with Norvir, Truvada or Lexiva, which I am on, but Advil (Ibuprofen)  will.  I have to take something for my herniated disk so I will take Tylenol for now and find out if anything is up when I get my blood work next week.  I only take one maybe 4 times a day.  I took the Vicodin with Tylenol for 3 weeks, but stopped when I felt better for fear of getting hooked on it. 
Pray God you can cope

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 11:01:12 am »
Before making this decision based on "internet" information I recommend calling your pharmacy and asking their opinion, or better yet your doctor.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 11:09:50 am »
Before making this decision based on "internet" information I recommend calling your pharmacy and asking their opinion, or better yet your doctor.

The Norvir and Tylenol thing is "internet info" too.  I asked my doctor last visit and she said Tylenol was fine with Norvir.  If not Tylenol there is no pain killer that is over the counter that I can take.  Aspirin, Advil and Aleve all have  specific adverse reactions on drugs.com to my drug cocktail. 
Pray God you can cope

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 11:11:45 am »
drugs.com is not a reliable source of information for drug interactions.

Try http://www.hiv-druginteractions.org/

Acetominophen does not interact with HIV meds, and is safe to use on all combinations. Need to watch your liver full stop with acetominophen and stick to the dosing and timing recommended.

Ibuprofen may be affected by ritonavir (norvir) but probably not as a rule. It's hard on the kidneys so perhaps not the best choice for more than the odd dose if you are on tenofovir + atazanavir (or even just tenofovir).

I am on 1,500mg a day acetominophen and 1,200mg a day ibuprofen plus 12.5mg codeine at night for 2 broken ribs and a broken wrist right now. Pain doesn't go with my darunavir/norvir/Truvada combo. So needs must I guess.

Oh, here's an answer on the Body about this topic:

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Meds/Q199376.html

and another:

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Meds/Q204272.html

Clearly, some people can't or shouldn't take these painkillers cos they are allergic, have damaged livers etc. Acetominophen is hard on your liver, but then so is a glass of wine or two. And pain hurts and disables. << go away pain

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 11:42:00 am »
drugs.com is not a reliable source of information for drug interactions.

Try http://www.hiv-druginteractions.org/

Acetominophen does not interact with HIV meds, and is safe to use on all combinations. Need to watch your liver full stop with acetominophen and stick to the dosing and timing recommended.

Okay cool.  The thing I don't like about that site is that it lists the generic name of the meds after you pick them, and the way it's alphabetized in rows is confusing, I couldn't even find Aspirin on the list.  From what I did see there were no red flags, so that's good.
Pray God you can cope

Offline weasel

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 12:47:32 pm »

I was told by a knowledgeable I.D. Doctor Not to EVER take Tylenol  EVER !

Something  about  the meds & the fact it is deadly by itself !

As for  ADVIL ....

I used Advil  for YEARS !    , Not anymore ! 
     IT WAS THE CAUSE OF MY  E.D.  :o

Bayer  aspirin   Is all I take if i need a pain pill  .   

That is all ,  Weasel   :-*

" Live and let Live "

Offline weasel

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 12:49:04 pm »

I was told by a knowledgeable I.D. Doctor Not to EVER take Tylenol  EVER !

Something  about  the meds & the fact it is deadly by itself !

As for  ADVIL ....

I used Advil  for YEARS !    , Not anymore ! 
     IT WAS THE CAUSE OF MY  E.D.  :o

Bayer  aspirin   Is all I take if i need a pain pill  .   

That is all ,  Weasel   :-*

" Live and let Live "

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.