Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 04:38:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772965
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 192
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 129
Total: 130

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Too many pills in my year-end refill?  (Read 3130 times)

Offline noregrets

Too many pills in my year-end refill?
« on: November 23, 2015, 12:40:05 pm »
Hi everyone,

I have a question/problem I’m hoping you guys can help me with.  Maybe I’m worrying about nothing, but I’m kind of stressed about this.

So, I get my Atripla through a mail-order service called Accredo.  Other than the stress of setting it up to begin with & a little trouble with them billing the co-pay assistance card at first, it’s worked out better than I initially thought (even though I’d still much prefer to go to my local pharmacy, but anyway!).

For the first few months this year they would send me a 1 month supply at a time but then over the Summer we switched to a 3 month supply with each shipment.  Well, about 2 weeks ago they called me through their automated service to say I had prescriptions ready to refill & asked did I need a refill.  I picked the option for yes & was given to an operator.  While going over the refill I told the person that I’ve been getting 3 months at a time but since there’s only about 45 days left in this year & because I would most likely be changing insurance companies for the new year, I wasn’t sure how they would handle that b/c I didn't need a full 3 months.  The operator assumed me that they would send whatever the insurance company said I was eligible for.

Well, the package came last week & they sent me a full 3 month supply ($7000 worth of meds).  Not that I’m complaining about having “extra” because I’ve always tried to keep a supply on hand for emergencies, but I’ve received about 45 days that I’m pretty sure my insurance company shouldn’t have sent. 

I’m moving out of state at the end of December & won’t have this plan after that so there’s no way I could have “extended” this plan into 2016 so I’d be eligible for these.  Should I call the company & tell them or just keep the extra & hope they don’t notice…or that this is just how they do things?  My worry is that they will realize in January that my plan has been cancelled & I’ve got these extras & want to be reimbursed & there’s no way this side of the moon that I have the money to do that.  And, because of another issue I had with them earlier in the year, I already know that there is absolutely zero chance that any meds they ship out can be sent back….even if the bottles are still sealed & un-opened.

Maybe I’m worrying over nothing but I have enough issues already with money & things are just starting to come together without worrying about an insurance company coming after me for over $4000 in meds I told them not to ship in the first place.

Thanks for any insight anyone can offer!
Joey

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Diagnosed:  Dec. 15, 2011
Jan. 2012:  CD4 - 584, VL - 104,000
July 2012:  CD4 - 435, VL - 265,000
Sept. 2012:  CD4 - 252, VL - 307,000
Started Atripla:  Oct. 2, 2012
Nov. 2012: CD4 - 563, VL - 8,440
Jan. 2013: CD4 - 540, VL - 436
April 2013: CD4 - 369, VL - 109
July 2013: CD4 - 721, VL - Undetectable (finally!)
Nov. 2013: CD4 - 795, VL - 21
Mar. 2014: CD4 - 759, VL - Undetectable
July 2014: CD4 - 586, VL - Undetectable
Dec. 2014: CD4 - 827, VL - Undetectable
July 2015: CD4 - 670, VL - Undetectable
Dec, 2015: CD4 - 855, VL - Undetectable

Offline Mightysure

Re: Too many pills in my year-end refill?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 12:46:19 pm »
Keep it and don't say anything.  I don't think they can legally come after you anyway.  That's an issue the pharmacy and insurance company would have to work out.  One of those parties ok'd that sp it's on one if them.  They can't take the meds back and you weren't deceptive in anyway,  so there's nothing either can do to you. 

Offline AusShep

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 03:32:14 pm »
Nothing to worry about.  The mail order pharmacy wouldn't have shipped it if it wasn't approved by your insurance.

Refill in January on your new plan in order to hold onto/build up a bit of surplus.  When I switch plans I always fill everything I can on Jan 2nd.  It also helps to make sure any insurance issues are worked out before it becomes a problem.  (Usually have to talk the pharmacist if it will be an early fill in their system, but for non-controlled meds, it's not a problem)

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 11:13:32 pm »
It sounds like your worry seems to stem from a belief that your insurance company should only pay for medicine that your will take while under their policy??  Is that correct?  Well, if it is, let me assure you that your insurance company pays for prescriptions that are filled while you are under their policy -- not pills you will take while under it.
You have nothing to worry about -- you haven't don't anything wrong -- THEY refilled it and they have already paid for them. 
As Aus said -- fill a Rx as quickly as you can under your new insurer.  There is nothing like having a decent "emergency supply" of meds on hand.  I actually have about 9 months and it helps me sleep easier (had 11 months, but helped a member of these forums in need at one point -- which also felt good!)
Just be sure to rotate your pills -- take the oldest ones first.

Mike

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.