Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:36:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 244
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 232
Total: 233

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Need an advice  (Read 10232 times)

Offline JEAN

Need an advice
« on: September 03, 2008, 08:57:31 am »
Hello All

Actually I m half French half Lebanese so excuse me for my poor English.

Two days ago I was at my office and during the lunch break my colleague was playing with a cutter “ knife “ and suddenly he cuts his finger , so I tried to help him buy giving  tissue and some bandage but accidently and after few seconds the knife go down from the table and hit me on my arm , the top part of my arm not near vein , so I had a small cut like around 2 mm red but not bleeding , I m not sure of my friend HIV status .

Before sending you any post I tried to read old archive and lessons and I was confused buy this contradiction of info, on the lesson you are saying “ that some healthcare worker were infected buy needles and Sharpe instruments containing HIV blood “ and on the forums you are saying that HIV is a fragile virus difficult to live outside body !

Please if possible to explain and to tell me if I was at Risk.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Need an advice
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 09:48:27 am »
I appreciate your confusion and concern. At the same time I want to reassure that yours not an incident which put you at risk for HIV transmission.

HIV IS a fragile virus and not easily transmitted outside of very specific settings such as unprotected vaginal or anal sex. Those healthcare-related incidents of transmission, have been relatively few over the years considering how much work is done with needles and needle punctures and/or sharp instruments occuring.

I have never known in more than 20 years of working in the epidemic for transmission to occur in the kind of incident you are reporting in a non-medical setting. I would say no risk even if your friend is HIV+. It just doesn't happen that way and especially as how you have described the incident.

I don't see any need for testing nor for further concern on your part. 
Andy Velez

Offline JEAN

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 10:00:02 am »
Dear Andy

Thank You for your prompt reply

did u take into consideration the fresh blood on the knife and that i was hit by the knife maybe less then 2 seconds after my friend accident?

does really hiv is so fragil to resist outside the human body and hiv need some special cells present on the rectum and vagina?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 10:16:43 am »
Yes, I did take all of the facts into consideration. From your kind of accident and things like street fights with mutually bloody hands and sometimes knives I've never known of transmission to occur.

There are cells in the vagina, the foreskin of the penis and in the urethra which are specifically receptive to transmission. There's no such cell structure on your ordinary skin surface including your arm as contrasted with a needle puncture or other something penetrating the body, particularly in a healthcare setting or through IV drug use. 

Andy Velez

Offline JEAN

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 12:47:03 pm »
so i m in peace

Thank You

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 01:04:46 pm »
so i m in peace

Thank You

That's a good thing. I am glad you found our exchange to be helpful.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline JEAN

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 01:09:01 pm »
Dear Andy

Sorry for bothering you again , but today when i woke up and during my shower i mentioned 2 big red inflate blotches on my skin one on my hands and the other on my leg , it s the first time that i have such blotches , so agin i m afaid now , please tell me what to do?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 02:26:35 pm »
If you have a concern see a dermatologist. They have nothing to do with HIV.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 05:46:40 pm »
And every once in a while something else may happen on or to your body. That will not change the fact that you did not have a risk and will not by default automatically mean it's about HIV. That's just your mind getting nervous. Really. 
Andy Velez

Offline JEAN

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 03:18:44 am »
Hope That

Thank You & Wish You The Best

Offline JEAN

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 07:39:48 pm »
sorry sirs

i know that i m losing ur time and somebody else need ur answers , but i really beleive on your site and i can feel that you answers are based on a good experience.

please tell me the difference between being injected by a needle " HIV RISK " and get a knife cut " NO RISK " knowing that both are blood to blood contact

Some sites said that HIV survive minutes outside body and have a knife cut is a risk .

please need a clear explination , knowing that it s difficult in our countries to have any HIV advice without some troubles , any qst concerning HIV mean automaticly that you are infected.

please an answer

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 08:40:48 pm »
The knife was exposed to air, temp change and Ph changes. Needles with syringes are not. Simple as that.

Offline JEAN

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 04:40:22 am »
Dears

But if as i was reading HIV can survive for minutes outside body so i m at risk , because a had a cut maybe 2 seconds after my friend cut

Ohhh my God i tried always to take the safe side by not having an actif sexual life , and i ll be infected buy this stupid way ?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 04:52:46 am »
Seek professional mental help for your unwarranted worries. You are beyond the scope of help that we can provide.

Offline JEAN

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 06:21:51 pm »
dear

please try to help me by answering me and don't ask me to seek a mental help!

there is sites saying that HIV can survive outside body for minutes , in this case i have a risk ??? specialy that some site ask people in my case to make the 3 months test !

please don't be agresive and explain  my case Scientifically i m high educate and i have knoledge in biologie si i can understand

Offline JEAN

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 06:14:50 am »
any reply plz

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 11:52:52 am »
You do not have a risk.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline JEAN

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2008, 03:23:13 pm »
i really appreciate your reply , but any Scientifical  explination ?!

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2008, 04:01:50 pm »
From the most conservative of all websites, the CDC:

Scientists and medical authorities agree that HIV does not survive well outside the body, making the possibility of environmental transmission remote. HIV is found in varying concentrations or amounts in blood, semen, vaginal fluid, breast milk, saliva, and tears. To obtain data on the survival of HIV, laboratory studies have required the use of artificially high concentrations of laboratory-grown virus. Although these unnatural concentrations of HIV can be kept alive for days or even weeks under precisely controlled and limited laboratory conditions, CDC studies have shown that drying of even these high concentrations of HIV reduces the amount of infectious virus by 90 to 99 percent within several hours. Since the HIV concentrations used in laboratory studies are much higher than those actually found in blood or other specimens, drying of HIV-infected human blood or other body fluids reduces the theoretical risk of environmental transmission to that which has been observed - essentially zero. Incorrect interpretations of conclusions drawn from laboratory studies have in some instances caused unnecessary alarm.

Results from laboratory studies should not be used to assess specific personal risk of infection because (1) the amount of virus studied is not found in human specimens or elsewhere in nature, and (2) no one has been identified as infected with HIV due to contact with an environmental surface. Additionally, HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions; therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host.
spacer
Last Modified: October 20, 2006
Last Reviewed: October 20, 2006

Please pay careful attention to the bolded section in red. I added the color and the bold to show you how no one has, to date, ever been confirmed as having gotten HIV from an environmental surface.

The notion of getting HIV through skin has been debunked since the early 1990's. It is a shame that some web sites have not updated their information to be current. But some do not, either out of sheer laziness or a desire to instill unnecessary and unfounded fear.

You did not, will not get HIV from your experience. The sciences of biology and epidemiology support this fact.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline JEAN

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2008, 04:27:53 pm »
thanxs jkinatl2

Offline JEAN

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 05:24:35 pm »
pllllllllllllllllllllllzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz helppppppp !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have a big very big red blot on my skin a red one with white skin on it,it s about 8 cm , is it HIV symptoms ?:((

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 05:41:15 pm »
Jean

You have been told by the experts that you didn't have a risk..trust them and move on, if you are having problems with "blotches" on your skin go and see you Doctor.

You were not put at risk..this is not an HIV risk situation.

Infected blood has to get into the blood stream and has to penetrate quite a few layers of skin to do this, a needle stick injury and a small cut to the finger are two very different things.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline JEAN

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2008, 05:49:21 pm »
so it s not a matter that HIV die outside body ? it s a matter of skin layers ? so how can i know that the knife did not penetrate the layer of infection ?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2008, 07:01:42 pm »
Jean,

You did not have a risk for hiv infection. You've been told this repeatedly.

If you've read the Welcome Thread like you're supposed to, you will have read the followng:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008, 07:23:01 pm »
OK, Jean. Enough is enough. We've been very clear and detailed in our responses to you. After some of them you are briefly calmed until you get the next burst of fear or ll-founded piece of (mis)information you pick up on the web or wherever.

It's not our job to answer each of those fears in perpetuity. You are free to accept what we say or not. If you find other information or responses elsewhere to your satisfaction, that's fine.

But you will not be permitted to return here indefinitely with your latest symptom complaint or fear. If you come back with more of the same you're going to get a time out, so consider yourself warned.

Discuss your symptoms with your doctor. And your HIV fears? Well, you've already indicated you don't want to be told to see a therapist or other such professional so you solve your problem however you choose.

We've done what we can do for you here.  
Andy Velez

Offline JEAN

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2008, 03:37:55 pm »
Dear All

Please nderstand my fears and don't give me a time out !

i got this text from CDC websire :

Households
Although HIV has been transmitted between family members in a household setting, this type of transmission is very rare. These transmissions are believed to have resulted from contact between skin or mucous membranes and infected blood. To prevent even such rare occurrences, precautions, as described in previously published guidelines, should be taken in all settings "including the home" to prevent exposures to the blood of persons who are HIV infected, at risk for HIV infection, or whose infection and risk status are unknown.

isn't my case??!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2008, 03:43:12 pm »
No it isn't your case as the above quote is not fact either.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2008, 04:26:29 pm »
Jean,

NO! It's nothing to do with you. The cases the CDC are talking about are YEARS old and never proven.

I'm giving you that time out I warned you about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out or you willl be permanently banned.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.