Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:04:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 348
Total: 348

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Fall in the desert  (Read 5147 times)

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
Fall in the desert
« on: September 30, 2006, 07:48:32 pm »
I was out walking the dogs today down in the Bosque by my home. The Bosque is the green belt that runs along the river, in this case, the Rio Grande. It's only about a half a mile from my place, and we walk down there pretty much almost every day. Here in my area, there are a few signs of the coming colder weather, and between yesterday morning and this morning we saw several of them. The first one, obviously, is the trees are finally starting to turn color. In the higher elevations they already have, but down here in the valley it takes awhile longer. It's still warm enough during the day, that the kids can go swimming if they want to, (and they always do) And at night it get nice and cool for sleeping, finally.
   One of the other signs, is that the Sandhill Cranes come here for the winter. They hang out in the fields around my place quite literally by the thousands. We saw the first arrivals this morning. Within a month, they will be everywhere. I can't wait. For me, the return of the cranes, is like the return of old friends. I'm always glad to see them, and I like to pretend that they are glad to see me as well. This is also the time of year, that you can actually see fat coyotes. I've been privileged to see them stalking the cranes. It can be bloody, and violent but that's how nature is sometimes.
A few Canada Geese are starting to arrive as well, and when everyone gets here, there will be several species of Geese, as well as ducks, and the occasional Snowy Egret. Two years ago, we even had a pair of Whooping Cranes for a few weeks.
   But my favorites showed up earlier in the week, about a month earlier than normal, a pair of Bald Eagles. Last year there were three, two adults, and a young one that was fully grown, but did not yet have it's adult coloration. I never did see them together at any point, but always separately, but in the same area by the river. The young one doesn't seem to be with them this year. I hope that it survived. I realize how lucky I am to live in such a place. Just a ten minute drive to downtown, yet living in what seems like my own little nature preserve. National Geographic moments happen with astonishing regularity here. Two days ago, we came across fat old Rattlesnake at dusk, She was happily devouring some small furry rodent, likely a Prairie Dog. Anyway, I just thought that I would share some of the things that I see here with those of you who have an appreciation for such things. When people ask me if I go to church, I just point to the bosque, or the mountains where I can see mountain lions and bears if I'm lucky. This is where I go to get in touch with the Creator. Far more interesting and insightful than a stuffy old church any day.
   If I get my camera working, I'll try to get some pictures in a few weeks, when the winter crowd has arrived. It truly is a special place here.

Peace and Strength to All,
                                                            Capt. Carl.
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: Fall in the desert
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 08:24:39 pm »
Hi Carl

It sounds like heaven, the kind of place I would love to visit, you have painted a beautiful picture of your surroundings.

I have a great passion for Birds of Prey..Eagles, Kestrals, etc, etc..but especially Owls.

I hope you manage to get some photo's, I would love to see them.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 08:37:46 pm »
Sounds pretty damn wonderful, Carl. Thanks for that glimpse into a special world. Lucky you and wise to appreciate it.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 10:25:58 pm »
Jan,
   If you like the birds of prey, this is most definitely the place to be. I have also seen three different species of Hawks here, Red-Tailed, Swainsons, and Coopers Hawks all live around here, as well as Barn Owls, and Great Horned Owls too. A few weeks ago, I saw a Big Golden Eagle, which technically isn't supposed to be this far south, but evidently it either didn't get the memo, or can't read maps.
                                   Capt.Carl.
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 10:44:06 pm »
Hi Carl

Barn owls, Horned owls and Snow owls are my favourites, they are so beautiful..I have a beautiful collection of owls..especially the snow owls....and what I wouldn't give to see a Golden eagle up close..they are majestic...he must have known you wanted to see him, why else would he be that far south... ;)

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 07:09:00 am »
Oh the beauty of the Rio Grande Valley.  Yes I do miss the change of seasons and the arrival of the Cranes. 

Being a little further south, and a little lower in altitude; we haven't quite gotten there with the change of seasons yet, but I will keep you posted.  We have a Harpies Eagle that sometimes comes to winter in our little canyon, but haven't seen him in a few years.  Makes you wonder sometimes what they go through between seasons doesn't it?

Thanks Carl for this romp through your neighborhood, one that is very little known outside of New Mexico.  Yes, sometimes I miss it.

In Love and Thanks.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 02:24:02 am »
Thank Carl. Its been years since I spent fall along the Rio Grande.

I always made a trek to Bosque del Apache to see some of the wildlife, especially the cranes. I didn't live near enough to the bosque to hike it regularly.

I knew it was about time because Egbert, my pet bat, paid a visit last week trying to escape the chilly mornings. I'm pretty sure he and his siblings have headed south by now, or will shortly. They usually only come into my house when its chilly, before they migrate south for the winter.

Two friends and I just did the loop today: Aztec to Silverton, Colo., to see the fall colors. The aspens at the lower elevations are still golden. At the higher elevations, (9,000 to 11,000 feet)  many have already lost their leaves and there is snow on the ground.

It was beautiful. I will post some photos shortly for others who might enjoy seeing the change of seasons.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 02:27:05 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.