Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:03:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 358
Total: 359

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Please help evaluate my risk  (Read 15380 times)

Offline scarycat

Please help evaluate my risk
« on: August 01, 2006, 05:54:53 pm »
If kissing, fingering, and performing oral on a woman are truly low risk, then how do females who are positive pass it on to their female patteners, which is known to happen? Thanks.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Just a question
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 06:05:55 pm »

It has actually never been documented to have happened.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline AIDS2HIV

• www.aids2hiv.com
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 09:42:05 pm »
i second what jonathon said....women get it from male partners, or sharing drug needles...
Its the future of Hiv Education, and Resources www.aids2hiv.com      Got Community?

Offline scarycat

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 09:38:00 am »
Really, that's good to know. Thanks.

Offline scarycat

why is mutual masturbation considered low risk
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 04:09:25 pm »
What if one person has a cut in his/her hand, which is not uncommon, wouldn't that put the other pattener's genital area at risk for direct contact with some infectious blood?

Joe

Offline RapidRod

Re: why is mutual masturbation considered low risk
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 04:14:11 pm »
Please keep all your questions or thoughts in your orginal thread.

Offline scarycat

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 05:57:56 pm »
Sorry. If someone can, please merge this with my original thread. Thanks.

Joe

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 07:54:57 pm »
scary,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Fingering is not a risk for hiv transmission either way. A person would have to be bleeding very heavily to pose a risk to the person they were fingering - and they would hardly be in a state to finger someone if they were that badly injured.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline scarycat

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 09:04:08 am »
Thanks, Ann.

Offline scarycat

Please help evaluate my risk
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 09:47:00 am »
Hi,

Why did I do it! So I fingered a woman in her vagina and anus. She gave me a blow job without condom until I ejaculated. I don't know if she is infected but she did say that she went to one of those swinger clubs. What is my risk of getting HIV this way? I really appreciate your help.

Joe

Offline RapidRod

Re: Please help evaluate my risk
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 09:51:10 am »
NO Risk. You don't get HIV from receiving a blowjob or through fingering.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 09:51:43 am »
Why the multiple thread? Scarycat, you know the rules.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 09:52:40 am »
Your risk for getting HIV in this manner is NIL. Zilch. Nadad.

In the entire history of the epidemic there's never been a documented case of transmission in this manner and you aren't going to make history by becoming the first.

If you haven't already done so please read the lesson on transmission. There's a link to it in the first thread in this section. The guidelines for safer sex are pretty simple and mainly involve always using a condom for intercourse whether it be vaginal or anal.

In relation to to this incident I don't see any cause to be tested or for further concern on your part.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline scarycat

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2006, 10:01:58 am »
Thanks for the fast replies. You guys are the best. Sorry about the new thread.

Joe

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 10:24:02 am »
scary,

This is the second time I've had to merge your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread. Please get with the program.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline scarycat

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2006, 09:04:01 am »
Is it possible to get HIV if I received a cut in a hair salon? Thanks.

Joe

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2006, 10:18:05 am »
scary,

NO. You've been here long enough to have read the Transmission lesson, yet you are asking basic questions like this.

Unless you've been having unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse, you are very, very, very, very unlikely to become infected with hiv.

Use condoms for intercourse and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple, I promise you.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scarycat

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2006, 10:33:06 am »
Thanks Ann for setting me straight again. I know, I'm pretty irritated with myself for asking questions like this. It's just that every time something like this happens, I start to imagine all kinds of scenarios to scare myself.

Joe

Offline scarycat

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2006, 10:35:42 am »
I rememeber some time ago, there is news that chemical prevention might be effective against HIV infection. Is there any more news on that one?

Joe

Offline scarycat

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2006, 03:38:02 pm »
On this site and the San Francisco City clinic STD risk chart, giving oral to a woman and insertive oral are both considered none risk for HIV transmission. However, today I was reading the safe sex forum at another well-respected site, the body.org, Dr. Bob seems to be saying that while the risk for receiving oral is low, it is real. He even suggested a guy whose only exposure is getting a blow job to get tested. So how should I take this information? Thanks.

Joe   

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2006, 04:19:11 pm »
As BS. You don't get infected by receiving a blowjob.

Offline scarycat

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2006, 06:32:55 pm »
But on the CDC web site, it clearly states that it is possible for either partner to get infected through oral sex. Here is the link

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/qa/qa19.htm

At the bottom of that page, it even lists papers published in credible medical journals that document hiv transmissions through oral sex.

Joe

Offline scarycat

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2006, 07:06:03 pm »
Sorry, I messed up. The papers are actually listed on a different page, and here it is.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/factsheets/oralsexqa.htm

Just reading the titles makes my blood cold.

Joe

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2006, 07:25:06 pm »
I'm not going to argue with you about theoretical risks. No one has ever got infected in 25 + years by receiving a blowjob or going down on a woman period. Now if you want to argue you find another place to do it. You also don't get HIV by fingering.

Offline scarycat

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2006, 12:25:55 pm »
I have noticed in the past few weeks, safe sex forums on two other sites that I consider credible, thebody.org and medhelp.org have changed their responses to risks of insertive oral sex from no risk to very low risk. Here is a direct quote from Dr. Bob at thebody: "The estimated per-act risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected insertive oral sex (yes, this includes hand-behind-her-head deep-throating!) with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 0.5 per 10,000 exposures." So that is not no risk.

Joe

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2006, 12:31:25 pm »
Like we've told you before. Receiving a blowjob is NO risk. Giving a blowjob is very slight. There never has been anyone infected by receiving a blowjob.

Offline scarycat

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2006, 01:13:19 pm »
I have a couple of questions, thanks in advance for any comments.

1. I just started seeing this woman now. I don't now her status, I don't think even she knows. We always use condoms for insertive activities, but oral sex in both directions are unprotected. Also, there are lots deep french kissing and touching. So what are the odds that I'll eventually get HIV?

2. This question is for Ann. You often quote a longitudal study of sero-discordand couples to determine what sexual activities are risky for HIV transmission. Could you please give me the URL or reference to that study? Thanks.

Joe

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2006, 06:53:49 pm »
The answer to the first question is Zero...

Offline scarycat

Re: French Kissing and Oral Sex
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2006, 11:19:58 am »
Hi, Ann,

Would you please point me to the URL or reference for that study of sero-discordant couples? Thanks.

Joe

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2006, 11:52:21 am »
Scary,

I removed your hijack of Pan Chow's thread and placed it here, in your own thread, which is the only place you should be asking questions.

I looked yesterday for a link but couldn't find it. I have the studies printed out and don't have the sites bookmarked. I don't have time to do it now either. Try doing some research yourself.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scarycat

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2006, 12:07:55 pm »
Hi, Ann,

Thanks for the reply. Are you referrring to this article "A Longitudinal Study of Human Immunodeficiency Virus Transmission by Heterosexual Partners" published in New England Journal of Medicine in 1994?

Joe

Offline scarycat

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2007, 11:26:42 am »
Hi, I hate to start this again, but I'm really worried about something that happened this past weekend. I was at the doctor's office for my annual physical. The doctor pricked my finger for a quick blood glucose test. I watched him use a new blade for the nick, but I don't remember if he remembered to replace the disposable tip on the meter. What if there is blood left from the previous patient, would that infect me when he used the meter to swipe blood from my finger? Thanks for your replies.

Joe

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2007, 12:38:22 pm »
Joe,

NO. For a start, medical personnel are very careful when it comes to things like this. Not only do they not want to infect anyone with anything, but they also do not want a malpractice suit.

Secondly, hiv is a very fragile virus that quickly becomes damaged and unable to infect. This would be no different to an environmental exposure and environmental exposures do NOT result in hiv infection.

You didn't have a risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scarycat

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2007, 08:49:43 am »
Have a dentist appointment on Saturday. I need it, but I'm getting nervous. Even for a regular cleaning, there is always some bleeding. How do I know all the equipments are properly sterilized? Thanks in advance for your input.

Joe

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2007, 08:56:29 am »
Give it a break Joe. If you want to question everything you do then seek the help of a mental health professional. Your thoughts are not normal.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2007, 08:59:17 am »
scary,

Why don't you ask the dentist about their sterilization proceedures? A good dentist won't mind answering your questions. You have every right to ask these questions.

There isn't a dentist in practice who doesn't follow the proper proceedures. Why would they risk the malpractice suit?

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scarycat

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2007, 03:00:06 pm »
Sorry, I know this fear is totally irrational, just couldn't help it. Thanks.

Joe

Offline scarycat

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2008, 12:18:13 am »
Sorry, I have to come back here again for your help. So this is what happened. I had sex with a girl that I didn't really know well. We used a condom. But after I finished, as I was pulling out, the condom slipped and was left inside her. I didn't know how much of her stuff got on me. What is my risk? Do I need to go to a doctor before too late? Thanks in advance.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2008, 06:52:08 am »
scary,

You haven't had a risk. It doesn't matter how much of her "stuff" got on you when you withdrew. The important thing is that you had a condom on while you were INSIDE of her.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scarycat

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2008, 06:55:03 am »
Thanks, Ann. Really appreciate your help.

Joe

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2008, 07:12:12 am »
Joe,

You can show your appreciation by reading the condom and lube links in my signature line. If you'd held on to the condom when you withdrew like you're supposed to, you wouldn't be here worrying about it. Use condoms correctly and you won't have a problem.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.