Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:02:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 352
Total: 354

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Is anyone fed up with the term "poz" (or Postive Everything)?  (Read 21198 times)

Offline manchesteruk

Re: Is anyone fed up with the term "poz" (or Postive Everything)?
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2007, 05:16:08 pm »
  I am still trying to make sense of this sentence.

Ahh yes it was a bit confusing wasn't it.  Basically someone used the word 'riddled' to describe themselves rather than positive etc.  And I was just saying I had a particular problem with that choice of word!
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2007, 05:23:25 pm »
Ahh yes it was a bit confusing wasn't it.  Basically someone used the word 'riddled' to describe themselves rather than positive etc.  And I was just saying I had a particular problem with that choice of word!

Like "riddled with sores" or "riddled with potholes?"

That's weird. 

Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2007, 05:24:00 pm »

Makes sense.  I wrote a paper once about the terminology patients use to describe themselves.  That's a new one.
Over the years, I've heard a lot of them:   "I'm a plague person" (said dripping with sarcasm) is one that sticks out in my mind as one of the most poignant, both from the ironic and in-your-face point-of-view.   
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline whizzer

« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2007, 06:23:16 pm »
I don't mind the word 'POZ'.  It's sort of cute, like 'PEZ', only different, and not quite as sweet.

'Positive _____ ' (fill in the blank) annoys me.  I'm not sure why.  What annoys me even more is 'Positively _____ '.  Too damn upbeat for my taste.

'Barebacking' doesn't bother me.  It's has both negative and, to some, positive connotations, but it is way more efficient than saying 'unprotected intercourse'.  Fewer syllables.

As for my ailment, I not-so-simply say:  "I am host to the virus of Human Immunodeficiency".

Then again, sometimes I refer to myself as simply "the Host".  I kinda like that.  It has a very Catholic feel to it.  That, and the fact that pomposity has always suited me.

-Whizzer

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2007, 06:27:37 pm »
poz is cute. anything but V.D. - and that ain't short for Valentines Day

when i first heard the term barebacking for some reason i instantly knew what it meant

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2007, 06:31:33 pm »
Anyway, HIV is so trendy now.  I hear the medications enable you to climb mountains and stuff.

I'm scaling all 30 feet of Monkey Hill in Audubon Zoo next week.  I've got my clampons and ropes and other gear all ready to go.

"With Trizivir the possibilities are endless!"

"AIDS?  Forget about it!!"

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline carousel

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2007, 05:54:54 am »
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 09:09:49 am by carousel »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2007, 06:06:29 am »
carousel, then the term Gay, really throws you for a loop doesn't it? :D

Offline carousel

« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2007, 06:09:38 am »
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 09:17:07 am by carousel »

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2007, 06:13:46 am »
The term barebacking is perfect, in so many ways.  It's inventor was a genius. " I have HIV" is a pretty straightforward alternative to "I'm poz".  Only a few syllables longer, but shorter than " I have the virus that causes AIDS, if you can't deal, piss off".

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2007, 06:17:17 am »
My closest friend is black and he hates the word "nigger" even spoken between blacks.  And niggah is no better.  I agree with him.  For the same reason, and given the era I grew up in, faggot is not an acceptable term for gay.  Neither is fag.  I let them slip occasionally, but I try not to.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2007, 06:43:35 am »
Of course not Razor. A faggot is a bundle of sticks and a fag is a cigarette.

Offline mjmel

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2007, 07:47:12 am »
 :-\
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 02:53:08 pm by mjmel »

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2007, 03:52:21 pm »
LOL @ Rapidrod.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.