Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 09:37:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773166
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 286
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 234
Total: 235

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A question about aciclovir  (Read 4208 times)

Offline Finnboy

A question about aciclovir
« on: September 13, 2008, 08:04:21 am »
I've had quite a few outbursts of labial cold sores recently. Nothing major and nothing new - the individual blisters are barely the size of a pinhead and heal within a day or two – but they have increased in frequency.

Because the occasional inconvenience has been so small, I have never really made any effort to control them; but doctor dearest has suggested - and I am inclined to agree with her - that I'd probably be better off if I added a supply of aciclovir to the medicinal armoury (at least until I can resolve the domestic stress that is almost certainly triggering the outbursts).

Cost isn't an issue, but she has given me the option of either a high dose episodic prescription (i.e. when I feel an outbreak coming on, as I can always tell at least a week ahead of blistering) or a lower dose continuous prophylactic prescription.

I'd be interested to hear what experiences anyone else has with aciclovir – particularly which regimen you have found most convenient / effective for you.

Offline keyite

Re: A question about aciclovir
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 10:04:01 am »
I can always tell at least a week ahead of blistering

Wow, you're lucky. From start of tingling to actual sore is typically a day or less in my case. I have tried both approaches and - for this reason - have found a continuous suppressive regime the most effective. I was a little worried about the impact on the liver of taking acyclovir long-term but my HIV consultant recently assured me that the impact is very light. In your case it probably matters less which approach you go for, so if I were you I'd choose the one you're most comfortable with.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 10:30:53 am by keyite »

Offline Finnboy

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 10:25:16 am »
Thanking you kindly  :-*

I take it the lower dose suppressive regime actually works for you then.

To be honest, I am not uncomfortable with either - but if I don't hear any nasties about the suppressive regime, then that would be what I am inclined to try; because it slots nicely into my existing pill taking routine ;)

Your consultant is right. It is valaciclovir (the pro-drug version of aciclovir) that has more associativity with the nastier problems (such as bleeding in the kidneys).

Offline keyite

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 10:39:02 am »
You're very welcome! Yup, I was on 2 x 400mg / day and it worked perfectly. I stopped it after a few months on HAART - partly because I felt I needed to reduce the pill burden (mostly a psychological issue, I'm sure) - but also because I wanted to see if a drug interaction was causing the tinnitus I am experiencing on Sustiva/Truvada (it doesn't look that's the cause). Smaller outbreaks are back so I will probably start the acyclovir regimen again soon.

Good luck ;)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 10:40:51 am »
Hi Finn,

I also take acyclovir daily- 400mgs once a day. Some people take 400mgs twice a day, but I normally do ok on the low dose. Sometimes when I'm under a lot of stress I'll feel a breakthrough blister coming on and when that happens, I have a supply of 200mg tabs which I supplement my normal dose with. Doing this nips the blister in the bud before it even becomes visible.

I dithered for a long time before finally taking the acyclovir daily. I first went the "as needed" route, but it only lessened the severity of the outbreaks, it didn't stop them. I will continue taking it daily as I figure that it gives my body one less virus to worry about.

I also just came across a very interesting article:  Herpes drug has direct anti-HIV effect, could offer cheap addition to antiretroviral therapy for developing world

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Finnboy

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 10:53:40 am »
Thanks Ann, that is really helpful. The business about just reducing the severity was what was one of the possibilities I was thinking about.

That's an interesting article. There have been conflicting reports about the antiretroviral effect for a while, so nice that someone has finally nailed that mystery  ;)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.