Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:55:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 623
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 375
Total: 375

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Giving my 2 cents worth for sleep issues  (Read 3507 times)

Offline randym431

Giving my 2 cents worth for sleep issues
« on: January 14, 2013, 08:45:51 am »
Like many I've had a lot of issues with sleeping while taking meds.
Prescription sleeping pills can be way too extreme, like Ambien, which can change one from a Dr Jekyll into Mr Hyde.
Over the counter PM medication can work to an extent, but often tends to hang on and can make one feel sluggish or zombie-fryed for 10-12 hours after.
Plus, they can become unreliable.
You fail to sleep, but you still retain that hung over feeling many hours after.

What I discovered was Tylenol PM "round" gel tabs (over the counter), did the trick.
Just why, I don't know since most of these sleep aids have much of the same ingredient.
But for some reason the Tylenol PM gel tabs worked. But ONLY the completely round half white/dark blue type.
That allowed me to sleep fast, and did not seem to leave that hung over feeling later. They worked well.

But naturally, and typical for me, Tylenol STOPPED making the round gel tab sleep aids. For some time I was even buying them off eBay, at least of what I could find out there.
That supply eventually dried up too, as the only Tylenol sleep aids now available on eBay or in the stores are the ineffective solid light blue capsules. Or the so called "fast acting" caps that do absolutely nothing for me.

I had written Tylenol some time back asking why they stopped making the round PM sleep aid. Tylenol much later finally wrote me back, something about a factory shutdown and product availability disrupted.

However, they DID recommend I try MOTRIN PM.
I had little hope that would help. I wanted the old reliable Tylenol PM round gel tabs.
So anyway, I did buy some MOTRIN PM and to my surprise it works better than the Tylenol PM gel tabs ever did.
I can't say why, for me they just do.

I can sleep sound, having few of those vivid "Sustiva" dreams I was still having with Tylenol PM gel tabs. I know the ingredient Sustiva was causing those vivid dreams, and they still came thru when taking the Tylenol PM gel tabs.
Now, using the MOTRIN PM sleep aid (over the counter) I have had very few of those vivid dreams. And the few dreams I have had are not especially vivid or memorable as they were before MOTRIN PM.

So, for those having sleeping issues with meds, I thought I would pass along my experience. Especially for those that prefer not, or cannot deal with prescription sleeping pills plus their side effects.
And for those that have tried other over the counter sleep aids but found them ineffective.

MOTRIN PM just might work or help you sleep better too.
And no, I do not work for the company.
Hopefully the makers of MOTRIN PM will keep on making it....
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 08:50:07 am by randym431 »
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline synergyhomepage

• Live like there is no tommarow
    • Valley Aids Information Network
Re: Giving my 2 cents worth for sleep issues
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 01:04:32 pm »
Your timing is great.  I just got off the phone with my doctors office trying to get an appointment, on of the issues to discuss was sleep, Im headed to the pharmacy later today to pick up Rx's and am going to give the motrin a try.  I havent had more than a few hours of sleep in 2 months since switching from Isentress to Prezista.  Ill let you know how it works, I guess I can DVR the new early morning shows Ive gotten hooked on since being up at 3 am is now normal ;)

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 04:08:56 pm »
I agree always talk to your doctor, but I would suggest trying something like Melatonin which is a naturally occuring substance in the body, my doctor said I can try it, and you won't have to worry about getting hooked on it. With sleep, always try to address the root cause, whether it is med-related or otherwise. I am thinking of switching regimens again myself because my sleep is negatively affected.
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 05:31:03 pm »
Thats great that you found an over the counter medicine that gives you good rest.  I might check to make sure daily intake of acetomorphine and/or ibrupofen is sustainable.  Ideally you want the sleep aid but not the pain killer.....
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 06:29:02 pm »
OTC are great if they work for you, but you do realize there are other prescription drugs other than Ambien right?

One is Trazadone. It is out of your system in 4-5 hours. No adverse side effects. It's an older drug that was originally developed for depression but was better as a sleep aid.

There are others that are just as good.

Talk to your doc.

-WIll
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline scotty54

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 11:08:43 pm »
Thanks for the post about Motrin PM.  Planning to give it a go.

My own personal experience---Atripla...was difficult to initially fall asleep AND continue to sleep thru the night.  Complera.....still difficult to fall asleep initially....but sleep more solidly once asleep. 
I may not agree with you, but will always defend your right to disagree.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 03:50:53 pm »
Insomnia is such an insidious bitch.

Its also quite personal, example would be just reading the forums.  Atripla causes insomnia in some and lets others sleep through the night.   It seems some medications help some and dont others.  Melatonin gives me horrible nightmares (so does all diphenhydramine products such as MotrinPM, TylenonPM, Benadryl) so I cant take them.  Plus they make me groggy as hell.

If you find something that works for you. Great!  Its really trial and error from my experience.  I do agree with what Mech and Wumpy have mentioned.  Talk with your doctor.  There are many many choices available.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 05:58:19 pm »
I agree it is awful! I have tried low-dose Melatonin, and changing the dose time of atripla but nothing has helped. This medication has been great overall but the sleep problems just aren't worth it. I agree talk to your doctor there are tons of options, some work better for others. I plan on doing that myself asap. My atripla days are numbered.
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.