Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 06:45:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773467
  • Total Topics: 66368
  • Online Today: 302
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 276
Total: 276

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Almost 7 months on medication  (Read 8053 times)

Offline npm9

Almost 7 months on medication
« on: November 07, 2021, 04:00:03 pm »
Hi everyone,

I guess this is just an update post (this https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=75292.msg774335#msg774335 was my first post in this forum). I have been on medication for almost seven months now. I can't believe how fast time flies and I don't even feel like I've been taking the pills (Dovato) that long! I haven't felt any side effects (although it's true that I've dreamed like three or four times that i had forgotten to take the pill) and my results after one month was quite good. I still don't know if I'm already undetectable because my next blood test is in December.

The only thing that does bother me a bit is that I'm constantly thinking about my status, which I guess is normal, specially at an early stage, but I would like just to be sitting on the bus and not having my mind drifting to my status. I guess we all go through this and one day it won't be a big deal (which it really isn't now, I've handled the diagnosis quite well).

I haven't told anyone else (only my parents and some friends know). It's not like I'm ashamed, because I actually don't feel any kind of shame, but, although I do want to be open about it, I also like the fact that it's something that belongs to me, and it's me the one who gets to decide whether I talk about it or not. I would like to be completely open about it in the near future, but I do feel like maybe it's better not to in this early stage, I don't know.

Anyways, sorry for the rambling. Just wanted to share that it's been 7 months already! And 7 really cool months, I must say, despite the diagnosis. I just try to remind myself that it's only 10 seconds of my daily life and I try to be grateful that I have the privilege to get my medication and healthcare for free, I will always be grateful for that. For those who have just started with the treatment, just stick to it. As I tell myself, it's only one pill a day, takes less than brushing my teeth!

Cheers

Offline RMalongo

Re: Almost 7 months on medication
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 04:07:03 pm »
Hi,

I totally agree being on 5 months of treatment. It is the same for everyone I guess and then it becomes slowly less important daily (it takes an average of a year apparently to start and thinking about hiv and not feeling as bad); you told the right persons and I think you should keep it in your inner circle (no need to inform all the people around you as some can be ignorate and hurtful…) there is nothing to be ashamed of!! Do people who get covid get ashamed? No! We are not sick, we have a virus in us that needs to be controlled with meds not harm us and others and thank you for the advancement in medicine.

Cheers

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 09:55:19 pm »

ojo.         Hi there!…it’s nice to read you two newly dx’Ed members, giving each other support and sharing experiences. You two will be fine, it’s just a matter of time to learn how to live with hiv. I envy you, just one pill a day, lucky you!…I’ve been living with hiv for 27 years and just my family knows about my dx, I think that my health is a private matter, I’m not telling everybody about my hemorrhoids or my ties fungus, but I also understand, that telling your status is a personal choice, I don’t tell my friends because if they knew about my status, they will treat me as if I were made of glass, taking care of me and I don’t want that…ok, again, happy to read you guys…good luck

Offline npm9

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 04:52:23 pm »
Hi,

you told the right persons and I think you should keep it in your inner circle (no need to inform all the people around you as some can be ignorate and hurtful…) there is nothing to be ashamed of!!

Yes, I totally agree there. It's not like I'm gonna tell every person I bump into but I would like to tell some more friends who are really close to me as well.

Offline npm9

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 04:54:52 pm »

I don’t tell my friends because if they knew about my status, they will treat me as if I were made of glass, taking care of me and I don’t want that…ok, again, happy to read you guys…good luck

Yeah, I also feared being treated as weak or something, but my friends and my parents saw that I just kept living and doing everything as I did before the treatment and know that it isn't a big deal. Since my father has diabetes, I told them that nowadays it's like having diabetes but with a pill. My parents realised that the diagnosis or the treatment isn't stopping me from doing anything and I'm sure that that comforts them. We also talk about the medication just like we talk about any other pill.

cheers and hugs!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.