Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:21:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 385
Total: 386

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: With friends like these...  (Read 7064 times)

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
With friends like these...
« on: July 29, 2013, 01:19:24 pm »
This is probably not as funny to anyone else as it is to me.

So, my HASA (HIV/AIDS Services Administration) case was apparently closed (or maybe not) because the congregate facility in which I live was deemed not congregate enough, as if that has anything to do with whether or not any individual needs HASA services. This is actually a good thing, because it means I can call the Medicaid folks with no interference by people wanting to call on my behalf. HASA had me in a holding pattern until this sorted itself, and I just got a message saying, "yes, go ahead and call them yourself". This is now 2 days before Medicaid will likely end, God bless us all. No one is able to tell me when it will end exactly or why it's even active, since I got a cancellation letter a while back. The suspicion from the nice lady in Albany is that I am grinding out the 6-month grace period, which ends at the end of this month. I can't reinstate ADAP until Medicaid is kaput, so I'm just waiting.  ::)

In paperwork irritation news, I became eligible for Medicaid again one week after they cut me. My income was $100+ over the Medicaid standard. It has since gone down, so I just need the whole thing re-booted, which means lots of paperwork. Being on welfare is a full-time job, I tell you.  ;D

The funny thing is, if I didn't have a rent subsidy, my income wouldn't even pay rent, and still I'm barely eligible for Medicaid. If I didn't have ADAP as a backup (the only thing I lose is emergency treatments), I'd be left out in the cold, so once again HIV saves the day. What on Earth do unemployed homeless HIV- people do? It's a perverse system.

In what I consider an even funnier side note, I also currently get $16 a month in SNAP (food stamps), though I haven't decided where to spend it all. Possibly on Walgreens tiramisu, haha (that's a joke). I kind of want to buy food and hand it out to those kids with the "HIV+ and homeless" signs. I have plenty. But that's illegal, and I would never do anything illegal.

I also want to ask those kids why they don't go to HASA and try to get emergency housing, but I'm afraid of the answer. I'm a lightweight, and even I chose to stay outside all night sometimes instead of in the SRO last March. These kids are pros.
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
Re: With friends like these...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 07:16:50 pm »
unfortunately the  system is  full of "political"  decisions  that  dont always  correlate  directly to  reality  but rather to  what some   Clerk/ politician/ decision maker  thinks  the  "right  thing to do"  or  their  budget will  allow

combine that  to the  fact that many of the programs are frequently  delegated to the lowest category ( inexperienced) of  personnel in that agency    you seem to  have navigated  it  better  than many others

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline Habersham

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 07:33:55 pm »
Was it mandatory for you to apply for SNAP?  I had to do it in GA to get myself in the system and I get $24 per month. I haven't used it in 2 months so I have $48 right now. That's like a week worth of food!  Or a weekend worth of pie!
Because I Can

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 07:44:36 pm »
Sounds like a major bureaucratic headache. 

Sorry you have to go through this.  :(

It would be nice if some day everyone just had access to the same all inclusive healthcare.  Would be much more simple,  and far cheaper overall to implement.

You seem to be navigating it reasonably well though.

I hope it gets sorted out for you soon.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 11:13:31 pm »
I didn't think you were working.  How are you over the limit?  I know a guy, who gets $895 in disability and gets $110 a month in SNAP.  He qualifies for the "Extra Help" and gets all his Medicare premiums, deductibles, and co-payments paid, and qualifies for Medicaid to pick up the 20% that Medicare Part B doesn't pay. 

I am always confused how these programs work.  I know a single woman, who is getting something like $1,400 a month in unemployment.  She has two kids, with no child support.  They told her she no longer qualifies for SNAP.  I don't understand how someone making $1,400 a month with two kids doesn't qualify.  $1,400 a month doesn't go far with a family, even here.  I just don't understand how he gets $110 in SNAP with an income of $895 with no kids, but she is over the limit.  So, I always remain confused about how they make these decisions.

Offline oksikoko

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 11:37:10 pm »
you seem to  have navigated  it  better  than many others

You seem to be navigating it reasonably well though.

Thanks, I'm a real sailor now. It's actually more humorous than annoying. If something goes wrong with my medication, that'll be another story... I've discovered it's easy enough to find emergency pills of Atripla, but Stribild is another matter. And I wonder what sudden anti-psychotic discontinuation syndrome feels like. ;)

Was it mandatory for you to apply for SNAP?  I had to do it in GA to get myself in the system and I get $24 per month. I haven't used it in 2 months so I have $48 right now. That's like a week worth of food!  Or a weekend worth of pie!

I never applied for SNAP myself. HASA did it automatically, so it probably was mandatory for some reason. I also haven't spent my $16 from July. So, now I can have a vegetable party in August. I actually feel bad getting it. There have been cuts, and some people with families don't get enough. I will probably just leave it. It returns to the pool after so many months, and frankly, I'm stuffed as is.

I didn't think you were working.  How are you over the limit?   
I don't understand how someone making $1,400 a month with two kids doesn't qualify. ... I just don't understand how he gets $110 in SNAP with an income of $895 with no kids, but she is over the limit.  So, I always remain confused about how they make these decisions.

I got no food stamps when I was homeless and could've used them. They only kicked in once I was housed and needed them less. But I paid to live in the shelter (the first one) as much as my rent is now, so it's not like I had more cash then. It's a very confusing system.

I'm in the waning days of unemployment insurance, and that's been my income. It puts me over the limit for a lot of services, but I have more cash on hand than most people in my position. "More" is relative, but I can't in good conscience complain anymore. I've been pretty lucky. ;) Of course, UI shall run out very, very soon. Que será será, toujours gai.
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)

Offline oksikoko

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 11:56:18 am »
OK, this is too funny. I'm calling the Medicaid number. It gives me another number, then disconnects. I call that number and hear BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEP.

I think I'll just go to Brooklyn in person. ;)

Offline Habersham

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 12:48:16 pm »
Because I Can

Offline mitch777

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 05:02:02 pm »
OK, this is too funny. I'm calling the Medicaid number. It gives me another number, then disconnects. I call that number and hear BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEP.

I think I'll just go to Brooklyn in person. ;)
You ARE a patient guy. That kinda stuff drives me nuts. (more nuts) :)
Any word about your job interview yet?

PS- Cute avatar. Boing! Boing!
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline oksikoko

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 10:53:23 pm »
Eh, it won't do any good to be mad at a phone tree, so you just call again or go to Brooklyn. I didn't realize how many government offices are in Brooklyn...

No word on that interview, but I have several things in the oven. I'll be in a vocational assessment for the next two weeks (M-F, 9-3, yikes), and I might be able to go enter a vocational program for pozzies after that.

Yes, I want this dog. He's little. I could probably sneak him in my backpack.

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 12:27:15 am »
SNAP Income guidelines

http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/applicant_recipients/eligibility.htm

I used to work in Medicaid/SNAP...
Just a note... monthly income is computed at 4.3 weeks per month (that is because there are two months every year that have 5 weeks - the rest have four).... So, here in Florida, if a single person makes $275 week unemployment x 4.3 weeks = $1,182.50.... when President Obama gave the extra $25 a week on unemployment for a while a few years ago (back in 2008 or 2009 I think) it caused a lot of single people in Florida to be over the limit...

Also, rent costs do not get deducted if you are over the threshold to begin with.. they only get deducted if you are initially under the threshold - unless you are on disability - then rent costs get deducted on the front end prior of the income even if over the threshold...  So a single individual on SSI (and in some cases SSDI - depending on how much the person receives and how much their rent is) is more likely to be eligible for SNAP....

Also, if you have other people living in the household, they are supposed to be included on your application - but their income won't count against you as long as you say that you purchase and prepare food SEPARATELY - if you say you purchase and prepare together than their income gets weighed into the eligibility factor....

Also, if you have a joint bank account with someone, any funds in that account (even if it belongs to other person) are counted toward the asset limit...
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline oksikoko

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 08:34:30 pm »
Just to close the topic:

I went to my fair hearing on Monday. Because of my "technicality", which I assume means HIV, I can have Medicaid until the end of the year.

It felt sort of like a game show. "If you give up your right to see the judge, we'll give you what's behind door #2". Haha. But the joke's on them. I plan on being as sick as possible for the next 4 months.

Lee

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.