Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:59:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 504
Total: 506

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hand Foot Mouth Disease?  (Read 4871 times)

Offline 0608

Hand Foot Mouth Disease?
« on: January 10, 2014, 07:15:07 pm »
Hi, guys.  I was wondering if anyone had first(or second)-hand experience with Hand-Foot-Mouth-Disease (HFMD).

Basically, I came down with about the worst sore throat ever around New Year's Day, and then a few days later, I developed red bumps on both palms and on the bottom fo my right foot.  I freaked out a bit (syphillis?  shingles?), but from info on the Internet, it seems like I have HFMD, which usually occurs in children but can also affect adults, especially with low immune systems (on meds and CD4 of 574 at last count, but still).

Anyhow, the bumps themselves aren't too bad (no blistering or leaking, just red and bumpy), but the sore throat is a big pain in the neck (pun intended), and I generally feel so tired, though I'm not sure if it's just from dealing with pain at al times.

Any advice or info would be appreciated.  Best wishes for everyone's health and happiness on here!

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Hand Foot Mouth Disease?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 07:26:46 pm »
Is there a reason you're not going to the doctor if this is causing you so much concern?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 07:29:37 pm »
Yeah don't self diagnose.  And your immune system is not weak at 500+
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline 0608

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 08:34:50 pm »
Hi, guys.  The main reason is that it seems the thing to do with HFMD is to basically endure and wait it out until the virus runs its course.  I did go to a local clinic at the onset of the sore throat (pre-red bumps) thinking I had gotten a cold, but the cold medicine and the shot the doctor prescribed didn't help me at all.  And to visit my HIV doctor, I would have to take a day off from work.  Those are the main reasons, though obviously, if I don't feel better in another week or so, I definitely will.  It just sucks in the meanwhile.  Hope that makes sense.

Offline mecch

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 08:58:39 pm »
New Years was over a week ago.  And now you are going to wait another week? Meanwhile, you are working? I assume you are working because you said to see your HIV doc, you would have to take a day off work...
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline 0608

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 05:09:25 am »
Yup, working hard.  It's the busy season, so I can't really afford to take a sick day.  And my job involves talking quite a bit, which may be exacerbating my sore throat.

(Skip if you're squeamish)  A few hours ago, I actually hacked up phlegm that was basically a huge fleshy blood-tinged lump(!), and my throat has actually felt considerably ever since.   :o

Offline mecch

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 08:36:17 am »
considerably?? missing word

Ok im not going to lean on you i don't know the situation. Sounds like going to  the doctor is a financial strain.  I've been there, living in he states....
But just wanted to say, that self diagnosis isn't a great habit for an HIV+ person to be in.  Nor is stalling seeing a doctor about a pretty serious feeling illness.  Try to see if you can arrange things going forward, over the years, so health care can be more routine when something seems wrong....

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 09:06:12 am »

Yup, working hard.  It's the busy season, so I can't really afford to take a sick day. 

Oh great. HFM is highly contagious. Nice to know that you don't care who you infect. Sheesh.

Get to a doctor already and stop exposing people you work with to your illness. I hope you realise it can KILL children.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline 0608

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 10:16:06 am »
Considerably better, I meant to say.  Points taken to both of you.  I was under the impression that HFMD wasn't particulary contagious without direct physical contact, especially if the bumps weren't watery or leaking.  Thank you for the heads-up.

Offline 0608

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 02:59:36 am »
Update: Went to doctor today. Turns out it's syphillis    >:( Now waiting for the two shots in the ass. Doctor thinks I got it about 2 months ago. Anyway, the vets were right. Don't try to diagnose yourself and get thee to the doctor when you know something's not right. I'm so not happy, but I've definitely learned an important lesson.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.