Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:36:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773215
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 494
Total: 496

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: finding support from my age group  (Read 4013 times)

Offline tom

• Flickr Photostream
finding support from my age group
« on: September 10, 2006, 02:45:56 am »
Howdy everyone,

I've been feeling kind of down lately about myself and this has rehashed the thought that I should try to find a support group (mostly spurred on by my parents). I don't disagree. However, I am desperately trying to find people who are closer to my age and position in life. I'm 19 (soon to be twenty in a week), gay and I've known of my status for what is soon to be a year. (Not exactly the birthday present I wanted...but thats another story)

I'm not trying to age discriminate and I've had discussions with incredibly helpful and friendly people over 25 but it's hard to share and experience, treatment, emotional effects and the awkwardness of this all at my age.

I'm afraid I cannot do this alone anymore. Right now I really do feel like I am stuck in some odd stage in life where I can't identify well with people my age or people older than me either.

Anyone have any recommendations?
Tom

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
Re: finding support from my age group
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 02:52:06 am »
Get out of my head. lol

It's not age discrimination at all. I think most people understand that stuff is different when you're younger. Like - with pretty much EVERYTHING. I've noticed it a lot. I am really close to a lot of people from this forum but they're all obviously a lot older than I am (I'll be 16 at the end of October). And while there is seriously a lot of stuff I can relate to them about there is just as much (or, maybe even more) that I can't. It's the same thing but in an entirely different situation and it's tough to compare. So, I totally understand. It sucks.

I wouldn't know anywhere else to tell you to go, but there are definitely people here (me included!) that get where you're coming from.

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 08:34:50 am »
I'm so sorry you are in the place you are right now.  I can understand how you want to find a group of people your own age.  It's natural!

Check with your local ASO to see if they offer anything for Young Adults.  I know here, I can look up the county website and search for HIV on their site, it will give me a list of organizations to contact.  So, perhaps your local health department?

Good luck, and don't feel a stranger coming here.  Many will open their arms to you... including myself!

Be well.
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 09:04:41 am »
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 09:59:30 pm by emeraldize »

Offline LatinAlexander

• Bogota, Colombia
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 11:44:38 pm »
Welcome man!!! I am 25. And I understand you... But you know what? We are a very nice family here...I mean, I have spoken to people much older than me, and they are great!!!.... A BIG HUG FOR YOU

About creating aplace for young adults...Yep, I guess it's appropiate...

Alex
Poz since Jul 19 2006
Initial numbers : CD4-250 VL 3500
First labs after HAART (Dec 04-2006) : CD4-432 VL-<40 (Undetectable)  cd4%=25.11%
Started HAART: Combivir+Efavirenz Aug 26 7:38 pm
Feb 08 2007 - Gradually stopping HAART cause of Myalgia. Protecting Efavirenz. Stopped Efavirenz, ahead with Combivir....
February 17 Combivir stopped.
April 3 -07 : Started ddi+3tc+efavirenz...
Gay and positive (What a lack of Identity...:) )
Looking for my Ben....

Offline Eldon

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 11:58:19 pm »
Hello Tom, it is Eldon.

First of all, I wish to extend to you a warm WELCOME to the forums. Here you will find understanding, encouragement, communications, support, fun, and many questions answered relating to HIV/AIDS. I too was in search for a support group and I found this site. Here is a great place to start, to add to your current support system.

I totally agree with Izpoz:

Check with your local ASO to see if they offer anything for Young Adults.  I know here, I can look up the county website and search for HIV on their site, it will give me a list of organizations to contact.  So, perhaps your local health department?

Again, Welcome! and Have the BEST Day!

Offline poobear

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 12:39:16 am »
HI Tom,
       Welcome to the forums.  I think Ann has a great idea about having a topic for young people.  I would like to say that I can relate as I was diagnosed in 1994 when I was 19.  It sucks because at 19 we are trying to find out where we fit in this world, who we are, what we want to do, relationships, and add HIV on top of it sucks.  Well let me say it another way,  HIV sucks period.  Being young and being HIV+ double sucks.  However I think you are in the right place. I  found AMG just recently, and so far I have heard from alot of great people.  And I am sure someone will read this and know how to contact the administrators and see if a new topic can be added for the younger people.  I wish you the best of luck and keep your head high your are in the right place.  Great big hugs to you.     Rachel

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.