Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:00:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 273
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 170
Total: 170

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Being ignored  (Read 20854 times)

Offline wolfter

Being ignored
« on: February 07, 2011, 06:38:20 pm »
What am I doing wrong?  There are several people in this forum whom I really enjoy and I notice they have so many ignores on their profile.  I just checked mine and I have zero, I'm an asshole and deserve the same disrespect as anyone else.     :'(
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Re: Being ignored
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 06:44:47 pm »
What am I doing wrong?  There are several people in this forum whom I really enjoy and I notice they have so many ignores on their profile.  I just checked mine and I have zero, I'm an asshole and deserve the same disrespect as anyone else.     :'(

I tend to speak my mind which is not necessarily always in stride with popular opinion here.  I do so fairly matter of factly and it tends to piss people off.  Story of my life, some people love me and some people hate me.  If you really want to ruffle some feathers just post some really strong religious or political view and you're just bound to get ignored by someone.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 06:57:26 pm »
I have always found your comments within reason of what we're dealing with.  I don't always agree but I hope everybody doesn't agree with my views.  I'm a newbie in the sense that I only joined this forum recently.  I wish I didn't have the badge that I own of being a LTS, but that's my reality. 

Everybody here adds something to my situation.  I never needed the chaos until recently.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 07:26:54 pm »
post some really strong religious or political view and you're just bound to get ignored by someone.

The heads who have you on ignore didn't place you there coz you pissed them off with your political (and/or racial) or religious views.  You have been placed there cause these lamers believe that you are part of the evil cabal.

I don't give a damn as far as being ignored goes.  I know who three of my "ignorers" are because they have said it so: Hoover (whom I couldn't care for any less --and who thinks that ignoring people gives him some sort of power), Tommy (whom I didn't dislike, but who has been banned ever since he went off the deep end), and WTFimpoz (another one that I don't particularly dislike, even though he tends to be a bit disrespectful towards LTS members --and who has also been absent for a while).

I have always said it, the ignore function is for delicate pansies and lamers.  If you don't like someone's views or personality you can simply skip their posts and move on.  At any rate, those who supposedly ignore other members tend to peek by either "unignoring" them every once in a while or by reading the forums while not logged in. 
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 07:29:31 pm »
The heads who have you on ignore didn't place you there coz you pissed them off with your political (and/or racial) or religious views.  You have been placed there cause these lamers believe that you are part of the evil cabal.

Have they copied our membership lists?  I mean how did they figure me out?  Was it the cabalist regalia that I wear at the social functions?

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 08:04:32 pm »
Have they copied our membership lists?  I mean how did they figure me out?  Was it the cabalist regalia that I wear at the social functions?

I have my own conspiracy theory.  A certain member (or members) out there, who shall remain nameless, sends unsolicited PMs to other members (especially new ones) with a "black list" of who is who around here.  These people who get the PMs turn around and place the others on ignore.  But I am more than likely just being paranoid.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 08:08:39 pm »
I have my own conspiracy theory.  A certain member (or members) out there, who shall remain nameless, sends unsolicited PMs to other members (especially new ones) with a "black list" of who is who around here.  These people who get the PMs turn around and place the others on ignore.  But I am more than likely just being paranoid.

I actually had kind of independently come to the same conclusion.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 08:52:55 pm »
I wish someone had me on ignore -- I feel neglected.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 08:53:37 pm »
I wish someone had me on ignore -- I feel neglected.

You are drowning in ignorers.  I'm so jealous.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 09:02:15 pm »
I would suspect that most people who actually use the ignore function probably read the posts anyhow w/o logging on.  As the Reverend puts it quit succinctly "I don't give a damn as far as being ignored goes".  While I do try to be somewhat diplomatic in my posts, I dont expect folks to concur with my views or responses all the time.  

Provocative exchanges will always occur and quite frankly some people just cant handle them.  As long as its not a personal attack (i.e., racist, sexist, or just plain being mean) I like to think any response that may challenge my point of view is welcome.  I am the first to admit when a reality check is needed when a post of mine may be off the mark.  Oh well...doubt I will ever use the 'iggy' button on here.      

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 09:06:58 pm »
You are drowning in ignorers.  I'm so jealous.

Yea... seems like you have only pissed off 5 people. 

Offline komnaes

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 10:18:40 pm »
I may be wrong but I am very sure that one can still read all the threads when one is logged off. The ignore thingie only works when one is logged on. And from what I have read those that claim to have ignored folks are frequently aware of what the "ignoreds" are posting anyway. So, it seems the ignore thing is nothing more than passive-aggressiveness on the part of the "ignorings", methink.

(edited for typos)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 10:40:23 pm by komnaes »
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 10:29:38 pm »
I'm still pure as the driven snow with zero ignorers  ;D

Kumbaya

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 10:31:16 pm »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 10:38:10 pm »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 10:49:01 pm »
I may be wrong but I am very sure that one can still read all the threads when one is logged off. The ignore thingie only works when one is logged on. And from what I have read those that claim to have ignored folks are frequently aware of what the "ignoreds" are posting anyway. So, it seems the ignore thing is nothing more than passive-aggressiveness on the part of the "ignorings", methink.

(edited for typos)

Yer quite right in every respect, Shaunster.  The ignore function is user based, not IP address based.  Once these heads log off they get to see what those whom they despise so much are saying.   I have always found it quite surprising that these peeps go around saying "ah gots u on ignurr, na na na" and yet they are fully aware of what the "ignorees" just stated.  It is quite laughable and childish IMO.

Hopeforacure and Willemina, the two of you are way nice; nobody in this here joint would dare hit that button on you.  It is reserved for us jaded gals (or, as someone once called us, the seven bitter queens).

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 10:49:54 pm »
Well anyone that uses that ignored button, really has some issues, and don't seem to know how to relate with others, I have 4 people who have me on ignore, and I know just who there are, so whatever issues they may have with me, I'm not losing any sleep over it  :D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 10:58:41 pm »

Hopeforacure and Willemina, the two of you are way nice; nobody in this here joint would dare hit that button on you. 

Well I dunno bout all that, I thought for sure my Bush leaning, pro gun, anti abortion, Israel loving, beef eating posts might have garnered at least 1 ignore.

Apparently you gotta burn down a house around here to get ignored. Or, yes, be one of the "Seven Bitter Queerns."

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 11:04:50 pm »
Well I dunno bout all that, I thought for sure my Bush leaning, pro gun, anti abortion, Israel loving, beef eating posts might have garnered at least 1 ignore.

Yikes. I agree.  At least for the love for that fetid bush and the antiabortion bits.

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 11:06:20 pm »

Well you do now.... :) :) :) :)
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 11:11:28 pm »
I have 4 people who have me on ignore, and I know just who there are
there are a couple people who I wish would put me on ignore, LOL
but so far only one person has put me on ignore (a couple yrs ago I think),
and I've never known who they are.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 11:13:10 pm »

Apparently you gotta burn down a house around here to get ignored. Or, yes, be one of the "Seven Bitter Queerns."

-Will

Don't tempt me.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2011, 11:14:16 pm »
Don't tempt me.

Oh pleaze. you love me.

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2011, 11:15:20 pm »
Oh pleaze. you love me.

I love me, you I tolerate.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2011, 11:19:16 pm »
Because of this thread some new head out there thought that they're cute and added me to his/her ignore list.  Wow, they are like so kewliez and stuff.

I'm gonna go cut my veins open now. 

Offline poz1970

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2011, 11:21:32 pm »
how does one determine how many people are ignoring them?

J
"The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to  heterosexuals. That doesn`t mean that God doesn`t love heterosexuals. It`s just that they need more supervision." -- Lynn Lavne

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2011, 11:28:03 pm »
there are a couple people who I wish would put me on ignore, LOL
but so far only one person has put me on ignore (a couple yrs ago I think),
and I've never known who they are.

Hun, putting you on ignore is like trying to look away from a car accident.  Ain't happenin'!

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2011, 11:33:19 pm »
how does one determine how many people are ignoring them?

J

Poz1970, all you haft do is take a look at your own profile; it is right under the "last active" field.  In your case you don't have anyone ignoring you.

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2011, 11:37:57 pm »
I am fairly pure - only have three people ignoring me -
I think one is tommy - who is no longer around (a casualty of the ban ham)
the other is mecch - who told me in such an oh so delicious way that he was putting me on ignore.

I haven't missed one Atripla dream over any of my ignores -

I have never used the iggy button on anyone - and don't plan to - because even though I may not agree with all opinions or posts of someone - and may not even care for a person's virtual personality - that doesn't mean that he/she may not someday say something that I might find useful.

September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2011, 11:39:19 pm »

Honey you wish you were in the (or a) cabal.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2011, 11:44:06 pm »
Last I checked I had 6 and I have no idea who they may be, nor do I care. This sandbox is for the big folks and if you feel you need an ignore feature to protect you, then maybe you should move to the kids sandbox, until you grow a pair.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2011, 12:00:44 am »

I think the people who have me on ignore got banned shortly after.... it's like I have some kind of secret power that I have no control over. 
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2011, 12:07:27 am »

You are not being paranoid if they really are out to get you. I can think of a couple of members who are capable of doing this.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2011, 12:16:01 am »
Honey you wish you were in the (or a) cabal.

You keep talking and I keep not giving a damn.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2011, 12:19:33 am »
Hun, putting you on ignore is like trying to look away from a car accident.  Ain't happenin'!
I know!  ;D flipped upside down with my wheels spinning!

that's why that one person ignoring me intrigues and disturbs me ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2011, 12:22:11 am »
In the future , everyone will be ignored for 15 minutes .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2011, 08:01:40 am »
In the future , everyone will be ignored for 15 minutes .

That is absolutely priceless.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2011, 08:13:04 am »
You keep talking and I keep not giving a damn.

Sure you do mary or you wouldn't have responded. Never cabalicious, just the girl who took her cousin to the prom.

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2011, 10:16:42 am »
This thread regarding the "ignored by" counter in members' profiles -- and others like it -- have consistently made the moderators wince, as they often don't end well. I've modified the SMF template to remove this feature. Sorry guys, but this wasn't proving to be one of the more useful SMF upgrades.

Tim

Offline denb45

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2011, 10:37:43 am »
This thread regarding the "ignored by" counter in members' profiles -- and others like it -- have consistently made the moderators wince, as they often don't end well. I've modified the SMF template to remove this feature. Sorry guys, but this wasn't proving to be one of the more useful SMF upgrades.

Tim

THANK YOU TIM,  I really couldn't understand WHY it was there in the 1st place, and it really didn't serve much of a purpose, it only made things WORSE and didn't resolve anything at all, that feature kinda perpetuated very bad behavior in whoever used this feature, I for one, I'm glad it's GONE....
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2011, 10:42:10 am »
I never understood why it was there in the first place.  Just another attempt to ruin my reputation.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2011, 10:44:42 am »
Thank you Tim.  Good decision on your part. 

I never understood why it was there in the first place.  Just another attempt to ruin my reputation.

That was actually funny.

Offline denb45

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2011, 10:46:05 am »

Miss P, most all of our reputations have already been ruined in one way or another  ;D

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2011, 03:47:25 pm »

Tim

A wise decision I think. My list of ignorants was declining, down from 23 to 17 when last I checked. My reputation for being "a bit of a prick, really" was in jeopardy.

So ta fanx Tim! :)

MtD

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2011, 06:07:45 pm »
I never needed the chaos until recently.
Please explain.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2011, 06:10:18 pm »
Oh lookie everyone's back.  :o
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2011, 07:22:02 pm »
Just a quick update...

Today's changes to the SMF template code wasn't exactly cut and dry and I ended up removing the ignore function entirely. To make a long story short, the coding for both the ignore function and the "ignored by" profile function are intertwined and I wasn't having much luck separating one from the other. In other words, there's currently no ignore function in the Forums -- those of you who have been keen on using it will now get to see what you've been missing.

We're actually going to be switching to a new server soon, where we'll likely have much more consistent service (and better customer support), over the next few week. In addition, we're going to attempt an upgrade to SMF v. 2.0, which should provide me and the other admins a bit more configuration flexibility without having to screw around with template coding.

Will keep everyone in the loop,

Tim    
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 07:25:36 pm by Tim Horn »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2011, 07:44:10 pm »
switching to a new server soon, where we'll likely have much more consistent service (and better customer support), over the next few week. In addition, we're going to attempt an upgrade to SMF v. 2.0, which should provide me and the other admins a bit more configuration flexibility without having to screw around with template coding.
make sure to find out where the spell check dictionary is ;) thanks!

edited to add:
oh, and what's with the little IP icon over there on the right? I don't remember that
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 07:45:50 pm by leatherman »
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline mecch

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2011, 08:06:31 pm »
I thought the ignore option prevented useless animosity and kept dead relationships done and dusted.
As a bonus, doesn't it lighten the load on moderators - less conflict, less to moderate?   Moderators encouraged me to use it and first I hesitated but finally used it and appreciated the safer feeling.   So why is it bad?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2011, 08:14:09 pm »
I thought the ignore option prevented useless animosity and kept dead relationships done and dusted.
As a bonus, doesn't it lighten the load on moderators - less conflict, less to moderate?   Moderators encouraged me to use it and first I hesitated but finally used it and appreciated the safer feeling.   So why is it bad?

You'll just have to tough it out until the upgrade, Heidi.

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.